Brokeback Mountain

No Day But Today

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing about the premise excites me enough to dole out $8-10. I heard that it is cinematically wonderful, but that the plot, and one of the rather unsavory opening scenes, is...um...hard to swallow, so to speak.

Then again, I rarely see movies anymore...maybe 1-2 per year, so I really have to get motivated to do so.

I haven't seen it yet, will probably wait until it comes out on DVD since I rarely spend what it costs to see a movie in a theatre. I've heard mixed reviews, though most of the bad ones seem to come from homo-phobes. Other than sounding like an interesting story to me, I think it looks totally hot.

I haven't seen it yet, will probably wait until it comes out on DVD since I rarely spend what it costs to see a movie in a theatre. I've heard mixed reviews, though most of the bad ones seem to come from homo-phobes. Other than sounding like an interesting story to me, I think it looks totally hot.

No doubt that the homo-phobes are against the movie. But are you categorizing all people that are turned-off by scenes of homosexual intercourse as homo-phobes? I for one am turned-off by it, or at least the male manifestation of it, but am far from a homo-phobe. Isn't it possible that people can not like the concept or movie, but not be unfairly marginalized as a -phobe? Just food for thought. :beach:

Regards,

Mike (A Lesbian Trapped in a Man's Body)

No doubt that the homo-phobes are against the movie. But are you categorizing all people that are turned-off by scenes of homosexual intercourse as homo-phobes? I for one am turned-off by it, or at least the male manifestation of it, but am far from a homo-phobe. Isn't it possible that people can not like the concept or movie, but not be unfairly marginalized as a -phobe? Just food for thought. :beach:

Regards,

Mike (A Lesbian Trapped in a Man's Body)

I just had to re-read my own post, because I was certain I had posted something along the lines that it SEEMS like MOST of the bad reviews that *I* have heard come from homo-phobes. I never said that anyone who'd rather not watch two men in intimate situations is a homo-phobe. I never WOULD say that! My husband would rather not watch two men being intimate, but is far from a homo-phobe. I don't think that not getting off on watching two men together would cause him to dismiss the movie or give it a bad review, though.

I don't happen to like watching people being beat up or murdered, but I don't automatically write off a movie as being bad because it contains violence/death.

Back along the lines of sex, there are plenty of heterosexual people who'd rather not watch a man and a woman going at it on the screen either, it doesn't mean they don't like sex, they just don't want to see it. (But I'd hope they'd not give call a movie "bad" because it has sex in it.)

closest I came was the picket line we had when it came to our area. Trying to make gay activites as normal part of life is offensive and the movie is only getting its hype because of its "politically correct" theme.

You do realize that protests get a lot of media coverage and that ends up giving the film a lot of media coverage, which means a lot of people who might not have heard of the film would hear about it and some of them might go see it? Or, to put it another way, there was oncea stipper who came to Waterville Maine. He was Johnny something, and there were portests galore. He addressed the protesters after he had completed all his shows, thanking them for the free publicity. He had a bigger turnout than he'd ever had before. The protesters had the exact opposite effect. When it comes to publicity, a lot of people feel there is no such thing as bad punblicity, since anything that gets your name out there can pique the interest of someone.

Please forgive the typos and errors in this post, it is very very difficult to type with a grumpy three-year-old calling fora carrot and dangling off your arm. :) Crazy little guy!

I think it looks totally hot.

thats cuz you have a thing for heath ledger and Jake..how ever you spell his last name.

Actually, I've never had a "thing" for Jake G-whatever, but you've got me on the Heath thing. ;)

Heath is a cutie but I am all about eyes...Jake has incredable eyes....