Why I Became Ordained By The Ulc

I dont remember the day I was ordained. I was quite a bit younger than I am now, and did it because I thought it kinda funny that an atheist could be a minister. Over time, however, I've come to learn that religion has quite a bit to offer, whether or not you subscribe to a god or gods.

As an atheist, I have a hard time justifying preaching, but I try to live by example. I'm not the best example, by any means, but I try to be a good one. I've only performed one wedding, but I'd like to do more. Options for weddings seem so limited and I'd like to offer some alternative options. The wedding I performed, for example, was largely secular with a spiritual, but non-religious, twist. It was very nice.

Anyway, I currently find myself wishing there was more I could do as a minister, but having no direction, I've found myself here. :)

I love your handle.

I was wondering if the couple you married were atheist as well?

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason is both complex and simple, To come to a understanding with myself and my emotions because I buried them and now they are digging their way back up I have to meet them face to face and embrace them in order tp heal myself first before I can help anyone else.

Now that this is out in the open, I'll be spending my days and nights in prayer and in solitude until I have completed this reunification of myself and my emotions to be whole again.

How long will this take, I can't say because this reunification process is something that I have not tried before and is filled with potential potholes. If I do come out this a whole person again, then the risk was worth it.

Pray for me, the next days, weeks and months that still lie ahead will be a very trying time for me and the outcome is unknown.

Rev. Douglas.

I became officially ordained today!

I have been studying religion and spirituality seriously for several years, and have a community of many people which I have already been ministering to, even prior to being ordained. This just makes it "official enough" to argue the point with any level of government, (only if necessary), that I am indeed ordained and that they have no business, whatsoever, of interfering with anyones' religious beliefs.

I chose ULC because it is non-denominational, the stated principles and tenets are agreeable, and does not require strict adherence to heavily-disputable doctrine as does the "traditional" state-sponsored religious denominations.

Please call me Jan or Priestess or Reverend Jan, (or just sister if we become close).

I became ordained with the Universal Life Church because there was no bondage of any sort involved. All man made Regilions try to bind you to their church or beliefs, even man made Bibles have a copywright in the front which is simply a sign of bondage. Did you know if you copy and reprint a Bible that has a copywright they can put you in Jail! Yep, read the copywright in a Bible like the NIV, it’s a serious money making buisness these companies have going trying to get you hooked. But the ULC gives a fredome we should enjoy. God gave us a choice to chose to be saved or not. Like he gave us his word and also mans word. We have the choice to chose. Gods word is free, and mans word is bondage, 2nd Timothy 2:9, and John 8:31,32. This freedome we are in, it’s called Grace. It’s true we have to learn before we can find what’s free, but we have to continue in knowledge. The wisdome is there, we just have to find it. Cursed is the Man that trusteth in Man, Jeremiah 17:5. But love and fredome of the spirit are free, we just have to enjoy it if we choose. To be actually saved is extremely rare, John 5:39, but when you are, well…Be from above, and I believe that if it’s freedome involved then it’s a good thing, Thanks ULC for not making us believe in a bunch of man made rules and laws.

post-4896-124789466366.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Since I was very young I wanted to be a minister, it was my secret dream. My path has led me to all kinds of weirdness, I am a weird person. I don't fit anywhere, but I feel like I do fit here. Diversity is the usual here. I was worried how my family would react to this news. I only began telling them tonight what I was doing. Everyone is very happy and excited for me though! I was reading through friends updates on facebook, a friend posted this link, as soon as I saw it, something told me, "it is time" I am very thankful for the link! I plan to keep learning and growing, I am pagan so there is always lots more to learn.

• 1 month later...

Well, I have been wondering from Religion to Religion: Judaism, Christianity, Buddhism... ...and in one dream one night it became all mixed up and I got so many little enlightenments, I decided I had to spread the word. So I founded a church, without having a church or anything. I found a few followers and called myself Emissary Bishop, sending Preachings weekly per email on Wednesday (I wanted to differ from traditional Sunday mass). But not even Turkmenistan recognized my clerical status.

Then I watched the movie Trekkies (or was it Trekkies 2?) and someone said he was Archbishop at the ULC. He ment the ULC monastery, but I found the ULC better, especially because you really have a human deciding upon your ordination and it just looked more inviting.

So, here I am... :D

Wait, what the hell? This is my old account! The forum software says it doesn't exist anymore but it does!!!

• 1 month later...

Simple really. For years, I have studied the Bible and attended tens of churches around the country and found that the various Pastors knew far less about the scripture than me even after they attended seminary; so, I decided to get myself an official title and spread the good news.

Peace,

Rev. Bert

Why? Well I guess its better than asking me if I am saved??? Ha! Are at least that’s what the world wants to do to you. “ARE YOU SAVED”??? Ha! But you can bet your breeches that the person asking absolutely knows nothing about what he is asking. If a person was to actually set down and read through the many versions of what is called the “HOLY” Bible of today, they wouldn’t even think about asking, because the so called Christian people of today’s world are nothing but a strong stereotype of bondage, where as the ULC is freedom for us all to believe what we want. 99% of all people don't really set down and actually read one of the Bibles, they just pretend they do! Ha! We all want to have a feeling of belonging, and in here, the ULC, we won’t get beat up by some religion trying to brainwash me into thinking there is something wrong with me! Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad we get a basic background of belief in something from the world, but most all religions, especially today’s Christians, try to tell you that reading their Bible is not necessary to be saved? What? Yep, just ask any preacher and they will tell you to believe in what “He” says and you “SHALL” be saved! Ha! First that is sin at it’s fullest, Jeremiah 17:5, Read it! There is a way to “walk with God” as it’s said about Enoch, Genesis 5:24. And to be a good student of Christ, John 8:31, Read it! So to actually be free and gain some knowledge of what this world is actually about, join the ULC and it will give you a feeling of belonging to something and then pick up one of the many versions of the Bible and start the long journey of finding out what God is really about. But reading through the neat pages of ideas from the people on the ULC site is fun! And people in here will tell you the truth about what they think and how they feel. That’s kind of why I joined the ULC and became an ordained minister by the ULC. Not to become “SAVED”, but to have a feeling of belonging in something, and freedom from bondage is a safe way to start! There is no real difference in being ordained from the ULC or the world, but the ULC gives me freedom to use my Ordination as I see fit, as a matter of speaking. Paul said it right in Acts 22:28 about being free and belonging. But don’t get me wrong, I do believe there is a way to have a feeling of belonging to Gods world and actually having a Bible that came from “Him”, John 5:39, and 1st John 2:27. So I became part of the ULC not to be saved, but to be free and enjoy my Ordination!!! So there you have it, and It's my personal buisness if I'm saved or whatever I am? So lets go a fishin! Ha! The Carpenter!

post-4896-103357.jpg

• 1 month later...

My Reiki Master Teacher suggested I get ordained since there is no "license to touch" like massage therapy in my state. I had a problem at first with the concept of internet ordination, but the more I thought about it and meditated on it, I began to realize that I was "called" to Reiki and was literally "in the passenger seat" of the circumstance of finding my teacher (over the internet) and with complete blind faith signed up for first degree. I am now going through my Masters class.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello Everybody,

I read a book called The Underground Economy (about self employment), and one of the chapters mentioned the Universal Life Church. Because this book was published in 2005, it printed the former web site. Nevertheless, upon checking Google, I read the note under the different web sites and clicked onto the seminary site. Later, I joined. At this point, I'm not trying to perform weddings, baptisms, funerals, etc. However, I do find the web sites for ulc to be interesting reading.

I was raised Roman Catholic, but my parents also allowed me to attend a Lutheran bible school. The Lutherans didn't mind that I was Catholic, but the RC church didn't like my going to one of those "Protestant" churches! By the itme I was a teenager, I disagreed with several of the beliefs of the RC Church and looked into different Christian churches, Jewish synagogues, and Buddist temples. At that time, I felt drawn to the Episcopal Church and in my 20s, I was received into the Anglican Communion. By the 1990s, different events happened in my life that I won't go into here, but I stopped going to church. Then, in 1998, I was researching a possible article (I am a part time writer.) to write about the 150th anniversary of the first women's-rights convention (1848) in Seneca Falls, NY. During my research, I noticed that out of a committee of five women, four of them were Quakers (the fifth, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, was Presbyterian). At this point, I wondered why so many Quaker women got involved in the women's rights movement? Then as I researched about the Quakers, it opened my eyes, and in the end, I never did finish that women's rights article as I got sidetracked by my interest in the Religious Society of Friends. I started attending the local Friends meeting house in 2000, and I've been attending since. There are many web sites about the Quakers on Google and other search engines, so, I won't give you a full history or about the beliefs of Friends. Nevertheless, the branch of Friends that I attend, Friends General Conference (GFC), has no formal ministry. They feel that everybody is performing his or her share of ministry during the silent meeting either by keeping silent and opening their thoughts to the Divine, or by feeling inspired to speak briefly during the first-day meeting. Everybody is equal with Friends. Although the Quakers started as a Christian religion, nowadays, GFC accepts many beleifs from different religions, just like ULC. I found some similar parallels between the Religious Society of Friends and the ULC, and that's why I became ordained.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everybody,

I read a book called The Underground Economy (about self employment), and one of the chapters mentioned the Universal Life Church. Because this book was published in 2005, it printed the former web site. Nevertheless, upon checking Google, I read the note under the different web sites and clicked onto the seminary site. Later, I joined. At this point, I'm not trying to perform weddings, baptisms, funerals, etc. However, I do find the web sites for ulc to be interesting reading.

I was raised Roman Catholic, but my parents also allowed me to attend a Lutheran bible school. The Lutherans didn't mind that I was Catholic, but the RC church didn't like my going to one of those "Protestant" churches! By the itme I was a teenager, I disagreed with several of the beliefs of the RC Church and looked into different Christian churches, Jewish synagogues, and Buddist temples. At that time, I felt drawn to the Episcopal Church and in my 20s, I was received into the Anglican Communion. By the 1990s, different events happened in my life that I won't go into here, but I stopped going to church. Then, in 1998, I was researching a possible article (I am a part time writer.) to write about the 150th anniversary of the first women's-rights convention (1848) in Seneca Falls, NY. During my research, I noticed that out of a committee of five women, four of them were Quakers (the fifth, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, was Presbyterian). At this point, I wondered why so many Quaker women got involved in the women's rights movement? Then as I researched about the Quakers, it opened my eyes, and in the end, I never did finish that women's rights article as I got sidetracked by my interest in the Religious Society of Friends. I started attending the local Friends meeting house in 2000, and I've been attending since. There are many web sites about the Quakers on Google and other search engines, so, I won't give you a full history or about the beliefs of Friends. Nevertheless, the branch of Friends that I attend, Friends General Conference (FGC), has no formal ministry. They feel that everybody is performing his or her share of ministry during the silent meeting either by keeping silent and opening their thoughts to the Divine, or by feeling inspired to speak briefly during the first-day meeting. Everybody is equal with Friends. Although the Quakers started as a Christian religion, nowadays, FGC accepts many beleifs from different religions, just like ULC. I found some similar parallels between the Religious Society of Friends and the ULC, and that's why I became ordained.

The moral to my writing my long statement twice is never post a statement when you have a headcold coming on. I didn't concentrate too well the first time, and I made a mistake: Friends General Conference is abbreviated FGC, not GFC. Sorry about that. Meanwhile, you can check out my (somewhat well edited) web site by typing "Dotty's Dimensions" on Google. Blessing to you all.

• 3 weeks later...

I've always had a gift. The gift was the unwavering compassion to help others. It's in my nature. I like to comfort others, advise them, help them to get what they want to be happy. I'm not sure where I got it, who knows, maybe I was born with it. Maybe it came from me not having an advocate in anyone when I was growing up...kids at school were cruel to me on a daily basis, and authority figures such as teachers, counselors and even my own mother never believed me when I was having problems. I wanted to become the person I wished I had for myself earlier in life.

Both me and my fiancee believed in the same thing; yet we weren't allowed to get married and join together in a life until we listed a "religion" down on our certificate. We were forced to bring an approved religion into our ceremony regardless of our wishes. No one that had a hand in marrying me and my husband respected our beliefs, so we were forced to LIE about it. If we had found a non-denominational mister to marry us, the experience would have been a hell of a lot more pleasant.

Becoming an ordained minister is a good way for me to start doing things I've wanted to do. I would love to give the opportunity of marriage to couples that have their own beliefs, if they have any at all. I would love to have a hand in giving a gay couple who have been in love for a long time their special day, legal or not, just for the symbolic purpose, if anything. If someone experiences the loss of a pet, I would love to be able to help ease their pain by giving them a proper funeral for the purpose of closure and healing.

This is the kind of person I would like to be; and if ordainment is the starting vehicle for a possible career in doing this, then hand over the keys cuz I'm going for a ride.

Edited by RevMelanie
  • 4 weeks later...

Why was I ordained ??

I grew up in a very strict Souther Baptist household and was forced to attend each meeting(4x/week)I didn't know what I believed, but was told to just follow what I was told.Well,as soon as I turned 18, I left home and set out to find out what I believed. After bouncing around to different churches and religions, I found wicca.About this time the internet came into a form I could operate(point and click/now called windows)

I started studying by myself for quite some time. After a couple of years I found a priestess that was willing to train me.

I became a priestess in my own right in 1986. I now have students of my own and felt the need to make a legal change to allow me to

do ceremony from baptism to funeral. Thus the need to be ordained. As you can tell from my date that I am sqeeky new, but have been on this path for a very long time, and sometimes feel very old.

I too feel that a person's spirituality is a very personal and unique thing and should not be forced or dictated.

Both of our local medical centers are catholic, so when a person of wicca is admitted, you are classified as "other" and is not put on any visitation list. These are the ones I wish to visit and minister to.With my ordination,I can have access to the chaplains office and recieve that

list of "others".

Rev. Colleen B. Mills

Mulvane,Kansas

Priestess

Siver Circle Clan

I am still working on my page but I sought ordination and further study because I am a Reiki Master/Teacher and as one I get a lot of "information" about people both verbally and non-verbally. Conventional religion frowns on the Reiki practice as "witchcraft" or "satanism"...also I cannot subscribe to the "woman as subservient" theory that is practiced so commonly. I have survived a summer in the hospital in a coma with two life-saving surgeries...I am not supposed to be here...at least that is the medical opinion.....so I know there is a purpose, just have to finish healing and find it. But, the ordination came to me and it "quieted my soul" so to speak so I decided to add this to my Reiki practice.

I was, in my life, involved with several churches, brought up Episcopalian and found Southern Baptist in the service, went to a Church of God, got asked to leave because of the way I dressed, .... and so on.... I have searched for years and Paganism makes so much sense, the Goddess, the God, the Balance of male and female, light and dark....all the Earth is in a balance and we have the responsibility to care for Gaia and Her Offspring.

I believe that all of us need to take responsibility for ourselves and our actions. I believe that many dont do this and this is part of the problem. I believe that men and women are equal....there is no race, no religion, no education, no philosophy that makes anyone better than another....all should accept who they are and be responsible for that....not try to change others or exert their control over others. Of course, I must say here that all this is simply my opinion and my philosophy for life.....

I want to leave a positive footprint on this Earth, on some hearts and, if possible, in some minds....with this goal, I sought ordination and will continue to study and apply my learning, my compassion and my life-force to the good of all Mother Earth.

Universal Synergy, worldly legalities, establishing one's self in the vein of divinity, to uphold brotherhood unity, to be here and now globally, and just to hang out are some of the many reasons I joined the ULC. I believe that it is in fact God that calls and creation that makes the choice to listen or turn a deaf ear. Being subjicated to a group of men weather you're "worthy" to be found relevant enough to be a worker in the heavenly uplifting, affiliation with "their" churches", is silliness. Nothing new is it because the greatest uplifters were not recognized by the "churches" of the day. Jesus is a great example of this fact. As the saying goes history repeats itself be it good or not. And it would seem this folly of men keeps happening. Jesus didn't come to make a church, a new religion, Jesus came to free man from the repressive nature of churches of men. The ULC is the first legalized "church" to recognize this. It has righteous beginnings to boot.

The question however is why did I join? I've always been a spiritual man, seeking higher and higher stages of truth, taking a sober look at this planet and its peoples, and religions, and trying to paste together the "lost story" that seems to be readdresses vaguely in all religions. And that is among many other spiritual leanings.

However if I were to put one reason "out there" I guess it would have to be the great parking spots at hospitals. ;)

• Amulet locked, featured and unpinned this topic