Why I Became Ordained By The Ulc

I was raised a Lutheran so there wasn't much to surprise me about the Bible anymore because I have read it several times. I came to the conclusion that I didn't agree with the Old Testament at all, found Revelations to be incoherent and useless since God commanded that we wouldn't know the hour of His coming, and I think that we are at a New Reformation of Christianity. [Especially these last 5 words]

We need to rethink what it means to be a Christian, to accept the Bible as a living and changing document, since it has been changed so much since Christ's death and resurrection. I would take out the Old Testament, remove Revelations and preach simply:

[. . . ]

I have decided to go my own way, to create a new Bible out of the old, to create new traditions and to carry them out in a loving and thoughtful way, the way Christ intended as I believe Him to be. I am hoping others will join me in my endeavors.

You sound like you are also trying to be what I am thinking of becoming: a radical heretic! In the literal, "by the book" sense: There are a few definitions of "Radical" according to the OxfordEnglishDictionaries.com site, specifically the origin, (Latin radix or 'root'), the first definition "(especially of change or action) relating to or affecting the fundamental nature of something; far-reaching or thorough: a radical [no mention of violent] overhaul of the existing regulatory framework;" and the fourth definition: "[uSUALLY AS EXCLAMATION] North American informal very good; excellent: Okay, then. Seven o’clock. Radical!". Heretical, according to the OED site, comes from the Greek "hairesis" or 'choice'. The BlueLetterBible site's description for haireo, (Strongs #g136) includes the following important point: "[. . .] Its special significance is to select rather by the act of taking, than by showing preference or favor." So a "radical" is roughly one who addresses the foundational aspects "heretic" is one who makes an actual, physical - not merely mental/preferential choice!)

When I think about it, Christians insisting on "*Choose* ye this day...." and "God gives us free will [choice]", yet insists on 'MY way or god's highway - to hell!' pretty much makes your point. Christianity today is too hypercritical. All Paul wrote metaphorically about the bickering and superiority/inferiority complexes between organs and body parts, (eye v. ear, arm v. leg, etc.), Christs' instruction on evangelism protocol, (share the message, but if it's not accepted, wipe the dust off your feet and move on -- a far cry from historical/traditional Christianity's seize, imprison, torture, and kill those who *choose* to not join), and the idea of an individual judgment all speak of the essential Biblical teaching that we are to decide [Choose] for ourselves which way we will go.

And I agree that Revelation is too symbolic to be a map/chart of a road to the future, certainly not *THE* reference guide on the matter

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My journey to be ordained was the continuation of the my chosen path since founding Rowan Earth in 2003.

I began as a Gardnerian wiccan at in 1987 at 19, with the magickal name Rowan Wolf and continued through the years, finally reaching 3rd degree. during the latter years i was losing faith and connection with the whole deity based side. It was at a familiar ritual at a large festival, where aphroditie was being summoned as a blessing along with three women on the platform, representing maiden, mother and crone. I went absolutely dead and at that point decided to break away from the Wicca I became familiar with, thus founding my own non-deity path called Rowan Earth.

Always being a lover of nature and the elements, universal energy that makes all things, I was always more in tune with what makes us and everything around us with the influences from different elements and energies. Since 2003, there has been more interest in this from people i have met, with many asking if i could handfast them. Usually this is carried out by the High Priest/ Priestess of a particular coven, etc. I never classed myself as a 'HP', as I feel being ordained to this title by another High Priest/Priestess should be the way forward Thus I class myself as Elder. Even though many said and it was in my own wicca teachings, as a 3rd degree I can call my self one, once setting up a new 'daughter' coven, to ME it didn't feel right, especially as I no longer follow a God and Goddess path in Rowan Earth - all traditional rituals, ceremonies, etc involved them. I decided to leave it at that until I found a way I felt could be agreeable.

Already this year, I have been asked about handfastings and other ceremonies with more interest in my path. Last month, (Feb) I was then told about the ULC ordaining those from non traditional paths. my first response, " A Church? Surely they would focus on the teachings of the bible, which i have never followed?"

So, I communicated with the headquarters and was told, they accept all non traditional paths whether biblical or not. So, here I am. Rev Brian Cobbold (my birth name)

I did ask that during Rowan Earth ceremonies i would be using the magickal name of Rowan Wolf so the title at that point would Rev. Rowan Wolf, Again ok.

Blessing to you all,

Rowan Wolf.

As for as my concern I take my ordination very seriously for my own purpose because the ULC have the material to do a marriage or funeral.I will try to get people if they want a symbolic satanic funeral or marriage or advisement just as a service in the Netherlands or anywhere else at least find the wright people to preform symbolic Satanic services as needed and also give LaVeyan Satanists the support they needed.

Edited by Abaddon
  • 2 weeks later...

The loss of a pet (especially when one needs to make the decision to end its pain) is so profound that there should be a special type of ministry to perhaps be there for the goodbye, help the family grieve. I know you can't call your priest to do a funeral but what about a ministry to come and say a few words and do a little ceremony or memorial with the ones who loved that dear heart on the earthly plane. In all my religious studies training no one mentions the pets. Hmmm. I kept thinking "All Creatures Great and Small, All Things bright and beautiful".

I have an Masters degree in Religious Studies and found that our furry friends need to have blessing, memorials and all other services not provided by traditional clergy. I am just starting out. This is a new work in progress.

Thank you ULC for being there to ordain me for this wonderful undertaking.

Edited by PetPastorGin

My reason(s) & motivation to request ordination-- I was formally ordained in 1982 at age 20 while pastoring a very small Baptist church in the country during my college years in Kentucky. It was my 3rd year in the ministry, after being formally licensed at age 17. At that naive time in my life, I felt very strong in my convictions that I was called to the ministry. My experiences in spirituality were very limited at that time, therefore choosing to be a "spiritual leader" simply meant becoming a Baptist minister, which I did. It was really the only brand of spiritual path with which I was reasonably familiar, though I was from an Indian family (off-reservation) and it was not a very popular time to be very open as Indian in the '60s and '70s. As the years moved on, along with my spiritual and life experiences, and as I reunited with my Native American roots and resumed practicing tribal ceremonial spiritual activities, AND as I became highly disenchanted with mainstream Christianity in general, and Baptist in particular, I UN-chose to be a minister. My ordination was never rescinded. I consider my life to have remained in the more general area of ministry, as my careers have always been in helping and service occupations, e.g. teacher, licensed psychotherapist for nearly 30 years, trainer, massage therapist, writer/author, and frequent volunteer and philanthropist.

Additionally, through the years I discovered Unitarian Universalist fellowships in 3 different states wherein I resided. The openness and acceptance of UU fellowships became my spiritual home and safe place... second only to my tribal ceremonial grounds and 4 annual tribal town ceremonies. I have been exploring and considering pursuing ordination as a U.U. minister. However, and unfortunately, although UU operates as a non-creedal, open, accepting, welcoming and low-rules spiritual path, when one wants to become an ordained minister within the U.U., many rules, creeds, requirements and bureaucracy elements are somehow awakened by the overseers of UU ministers on a national level. I found that disappointing to discover. I'm not sure presently where I'll be going with that. In this small town I live in... 60 miles from the closest UU.... some spiritual friends and I have been discussing and I believe we will be starting a layperson led U.U. "emerging congregation".

Therefore, while I have been a "closeted ordained Baptist minister" for 32 years, and I never "lost" that ordination... and, while I am exploring becoming a U.U. minister with ordination at present (though I'm not very willing to jump through the hoops for the U.U. Ministerial Credentialing Guidelines), I decided to request and obtain this ULC ordination earlier this year, in case I wished to use the credential for marriages, civil unions, funerals, less restrictive visiting of hospitalized, etc. I also wanted to have that "set apart" credential as my friends and I explore starting some spiritual gathering for those of us who are very open-minded, accepting, welcoming, and non-creed required. I was quite thrilled for my ordination request to be granted by the ULC, and felt a renewed energy about re-entering formal "non-closeted" ministry.

I am really hoping to meet other like-minded, soulmate friends here who have similar interests in this type of less-restrictive ministry, and I hope to meet other Natives on these forums. Also, if any of you are in Kentucky (or nearby states--- as I'm only 35 miles north of the TN border), I'd love to meet on here and become more acquainted.

Thanks for listening friends!

Rev. WolfChaser (which is my given Creek Indian name)

• 1 month later...

I became ordained as part of a whole family process. Though it is an honor and I love the unity of allow all beliefs, this was a much needed step on the path of my life purpose. I've learned I AM a natural and gifted healer...all through the guidance of my own children...who as it turns out are healers as well.

From the mouth of babes.

When the student is ready, the teacher appears.

My path...

Xo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi everyone! I became ordained because I want to be something more than what I am. I was born in 1958 and have many years of wisdom, successes, failures, happy times and sad times.

Sounds like just about everyone I know. I also have many years of learning left as well as making any kind of diference I can.

Of all my experiences in life, my most happy ones are helping people. The most happiest time in my life is when my help made a real positive diference in anothers life.

I am in a position in my life to reflect on and continue those times and this is why I became ordained.

I was introduced to Universal Life by a co-worker. After discussion with him and reserch into Universal Life, my decision with joining Universal Life and becoming ordained was easy as I

agree with so many of its values.

I am not yet sure of what I will do with being ordained but am sure once I decide, it will only have a positive outcome for me and others I might touch.

Thank you

• 1 month later...

I was ordained in 2010 to do weddings.

I sought something more, and studied for a year and was ordained on Old Catholic priest.

After a few years I realized that it wasn't my calling due to the fact that I doubted the basic fundamental tenants of Christianity, being the Resurrection.

I am a follower of Christ and many other great prophets.

I am a believer in one God, many faces to put it simply.

I believe my ULC ordination along with my membership in the Unitarian Universalist church helps me to grow deeper spiritually. The fact that I am a Reverend in the ULC is empowering and also let's others know that I can help in their stations of life for a better outlook for them.

Edited by RevJohnG

One day, a Facebook friend of mine posted that a friend of hers was looking for a wedding officiant to take the place of one that had had to drop out due to a family emergency. I reposted it because I have some friends who are ordained -- both traditionally and non-traditionally. I got to thinking "How could *I* do something like that?" So I Googled "becoming ordained," and found ULC.

Actually, unbeknownst to me, I found one of the other organizations using the ULC name. I applied for ordination, and was surprised at just how easy it was. Before I knew it, I was a minister.

The more I thought about it, the more I liked the idea of doing everything I could. I went crazy ordering credential packages, books and certificates. I even registered with my home state, one of the few to require licensing for clergy. Then I found the ULC Online Facebook group, and long story short, I found out just how different the Modesto group was to the organization I'd received my ordination from. Basically, here I am.

I'm hoping to use my ordination very soon. I just received a box of business cards from Vistaprint, and hope to get my name out there. It's starting already, though. Recently my wife, kids and I went with my mother-in-law to a gathering of her high school classmates. My M-I-L introduced me to the assembled multitude as a "newly ordained Reverend." As a result, I was asked to say grace before the meal.

Becoming a minister has brought with it some awesome responsibilities. When I tell someone I'll pray for them, I find myself actually doing it. I've started saying bedtime prayers with my son. I've even started curbing my language. My actions, what people on the outside see, say more about my status as a member of clergy than any of the business cards or credentials in my wallet, so I am obligated to reflect that.

Thank you, Al. I've been busy today blacking out the URL on the logo I chose for my new business cards. I don't want anyone who may see them to get confused or misled. ;-) Lesson learned. Aside from all that, I am confident that becoming a minister will reinforce changes in my life that I haven't yet imagined. Another subconscious reason behind my ordination, I believe, is that since my mother passed away in January, I've been making positive changes. I joined the YMCA in attempt to improve my physical fitness in ways I haven't done in years, maybe ever, and I suppose this new path is part of a renewed spiritual fitness regimen. Which reminds me...I haven't been to the gym in weeks...

Edited by BrDavidOH

About 20 years ago, after appearing before an entertainment convention during the long cross-country flight with a colleague, who remarked that he had become ordained and showed me his ULC card, explaining a few of the legal protections it had provided him in our particular entertainment career field as well as in personal social interactions, and he urged me to do likewise, but I had put it off due to my own superstitions as well as those traditions and dogmas that I had been raised with inside the mainstream church about required educational background for ministerial training. Then I started reading about the First Century Church and it's organizational structures, with leaders becoming such merely by sincerity, spiritual leanings and the laying on of hands by others. I also noticed a few high profile entertainers officiating at weddings, and then recently attended a local celebration in which the couple did not want a 'church' wedding and had one of their friends become ordained through an on-line ordination to officiate for them. So I searched, made a few wrong turns... finding the Monastery to begin with, followed by a more fundamentalist literal interpretation Christian group, until I finally found this site and recognized it as being the very one recommended by my traveling companion those many years ago. Like him I ordered the basic credential package. So who knows where this walk will eventually take me after that first step?

I originally became ordained by Modesto in 2009, following an emotionally charged and botched up funeral for my Mother. Her family had built our local Orthodox church from the ground up, literally brick by brick. My mother served the church and faithfully too, she was there to help clean, cook for events and bake for the bake sales. In the last couple years of her life she had Alzheimer's and we didn't know that she hadn't paid her dues for 2 years. (that church charges $300.00 a year to belong, Sunday donations extra). So the local priest wanted $600.00 cash and for my brother and I to get down on our knees and beg forgiveness for our mother for not paying her dues. He was trying to extort money from us over our mother's death. We couldn't afford it if we wanted too. So our mother was not buried in her church. And she was not buried as a member of the church. That priest never even bothered to check on why my mother would miss church or was not paying her dues. He ignored her and then got all "high and mighty" after her death. By the way neither my brother or I live close to our mother so we were ignorant of any of the details,

It seems to me that the "mainstream" religions have complicated their ordaination on purpose to further their own elitism club.

I started searching for an alternative to church, not an alternative to God. After many attempts, including brick and mortar visits and online searches I stumbled across the ULC site. Something "struck a chord" so to speak and I liked the freedoms and the brotherhood. Overall the ULC has the right idea. There are others who have abused this idea but the real blame is theirs. There will always be those who abuse thier freedoms for thier own aims, be it to ridicule or put down something that they can not grasp. That is one of the prices of freedom, but we are still here!

I want to take my ordination seriously and offer free service to my fellow humans (and animals too!). I am proud to say that I am a graduate of the Christian Leaders Institute online seminary. I'm proud to be a member of this forum were others take their ordination seriously too.

• 1 month later...

I was raised in a extremely religious home. I was educated at private christian schools too. I was speaking with my grandmother before her passing and she expressed to me how she was surprised no one in our family had pursued a career in Religion. She said it was pretty odd seeing as how our family was based in the mid west / south. She couldn't think of a single person she knew that didn't have a family member in the clergy. I began to look into it. I had completed some coursework in religion so I though maybe it was meant for me. My grandmother passed and I still held our conversation close to me. I though and prayed about it. I spoke with friends and other clergy members. They all told me the same thing, do what you are called to do. I made the choice to become ordained. I wasn't sure how my friends and family would react to it. I was surprised of the positive feedback I have received from them. I miss my grandmother so much, but I know that she had something to do with me making this choice. I like to think that she was bugging God so much that he gave her permission to give me my calling.

Was ordained in 2000. I was browsing the internet, bored and curious. Came across the ULC website. Was intrigued, and particularly like the tenets and ideals practiced. Next thing I know, my hands felt guided over the keyboard and I was ordained. Never regretted it, and felt spiritually uplifted, so to speak.

Was away awhile. But am back to see if it's like being in the old neighborhood. Hoping to reconnect.

• 3 weeks later...

Thought that I had previously replied to this thread.

Why I Became Ordained by the ULC. I became ordained back in April of 2008 during my journey for spiritual self discovery. I have been interested in the various religions for a while, in fact back in 1999 while in Basic Training I was attending a different Religious Service each week, surprisingly due to the recommendation of one of the Chaplains (he ran the Protestant services every Sunday for the battalion my training company was in) after talking with him one Sunday after the service about how while I believe in a Higher Being how do I know that the religion I am following is the true one. During the talk he pointed out that while he is a Christian Minister/Chaplain he understands where I am coming from, and that I should explore other religions to find myself, and since I believe in a Higher Being I may actually be an Agnostic Theist.

Between this time I was attending different Religious Services less and less frequently due to my work schedule. When I found out about the ULC in late March of 2008 I did some research, though it wasn't enough, and decided to get ordained. Due to lack of research I went and got my Ordination through the Monastery. It wasnt until the end of April I finally discovered ULC.net and ULCHQ.com. I shot an email to Brother Kevin here at ULC.net asking if the Monastery ordination was recognized by the ULCHQ, his response was since it was in April or 2008 it unfortunately wasnt recognized. At that point I did some further research and found out about the hostile take over of the Monastery, and submitted a request for Ordination with the ULCHQ through here (ULC.net). I then registered for the forums here made a couple posts and lurked for about a year. Then my computer at the time crashed on me and was unsavable. Due to not having a computer put the forums and ULC.net to the back of my mind. It wasnt until last year when a couple of my friends were talking about getting married that I came back here, by this time I forgot I had an account on the forums and created this one. While my friends didnt end up getting married, not by their choice, but due to a situation where he would end up losing his SS payments if they got married, I did perform an Affirmation of Love ceremony for them, and yes they are still together. Then in December 2013 I had another friend that new i was ordained ask me if I could do a Vow Renewal for her and her husbands anniversary, which I did.

Since refinding the ULC.net forums I have been back on my road of Spiritual Self Discovery, and am now looking at doing the courses available here that are offered through the ULCHQ, and even the courses offered by the ULC Seminary. I have also looked into some outside sources, such as the Great Courses series of college level lectures, having obtained via iTunes the Great Courses Comparative Religion course (lecture), and am currently looking at getting some of the other Great Courses Religion courses (lectures).

Well figured better late then never to post why I became ordained by the ULC and what I am doing with said ordination.

• Amulet locked, featured and unpinned this topic