Why I Became Ordained By The Ulc

I became an ordained minister with ULC because I was simply "not welcome" in other religions. Why? because I asked to many questions and got in return, the standard "ye of little faith" answer. The fact is I have a great amount of faith in God, but none in man, as it should be. This is my salvation I'm talking about and I'm not going to just follow someone blindly. So I became a Minister so that I could help others see how important salvation is, and that churchs or other religious organizations have put to much effort in the rituals of thier faith and not enough effort in the faith itself. Man was not created for the church, but rather, thechurch was created for man. Since most of the rites and rituals that take place in our "modern" religions were absorbed from pegan religious practices, then it would be a safe estimate that only 40% of christian religious practicesin any given church are actually christian, and 60% is pagen. So in truth, I became a minster to teach about Christianity without useing any pagen influences. Taking the Christian faith back to the begining to when it was about God and Christ and the word of life.

Reverend R. Daniel Rauch

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, I was recently ordained on August 15, 2013, a nice day. I joined because I was looking for something to do, and have had this feeling about being in service to man. Now I've seen the ULC, and had seen the 1976 "60 Min" expose on the ULC, but on that day, I kind of happened to look at churches and found the ULC website. Well after reading through the material, and watching the video on Conan O'Brien being ordained as a minister, I figured why not. This may be something fun to do. So I joined, but before I actually sent my information I asked my wife, and she said sure; so I joined.

However, there is another side to the coin as they say. You see I was born into the Catholic Religion; born to a dad who came from the Philippines in 1925, and to my mom who was a War Bride from the Philippines in 1949, I was born into a religion I had no control of. So for the next 18 years I went to Roman Catholic Church, did all of the sacraments, and more or less became ingrained in the Catholic Religion. However, I never was a real believer, or a staunch cross carrying Catholic. After marrying my wife in 1974, she converted to Roman Catholicism (Methodist), and we had three sons, all of which are now grown. Soon she became a Catholic lay person teaching religion. But there was one big issue, and that was I was a Transgendered individual going from Male to female.

We've been married for the last 39 years this coming September 7th, but in the meantime everyone knows of my transition, after my transition I suddenly bloomed from being a scared person afraid to talk about my own transitioni; but now I am a speaker on Transgendered issues. At the same time, I find my old Catholic friends now attending non-denominational services, to include my married son in the AF who with his wife have now found a congregation of younger folks, of all mixed religious affiliations in their non-denominational church.

But as for me, within the last ten years; I felt an urge to move, to go out and find a calling, its not a big one where I suddenly find the room filled with a heavenly light, or a voice that says "Follow me"; but one that tells me that I need to search for a place to call my own, one that will let me practice my faith; but in my own way, so here I am. I would like to use my own history as a Transgendered woman to minister to the GLBT members who find that their own churches look down on them, I would like to find a place where I can perform rituals of marriage for both straight and LGBT individuals and their families. I find that the idea of me, as a woman who has reached her own pinnacle of growth as a Transgendered woman would now like to turn her energies to something that is the basis for who we are, and hat is the spiritual health of all.

I may not have my own congregation (I really hate to be in charge of a church), but as Christ went out to the hinterlands to preach, I find that maybe I can do the same thing, and work among the people where I live, and minister to them.

I'm sure my pastor at our church will be alarmed at what I'm doing, but then; many people in the Jewish faith at the time of Christ were also alarmed at this so-called Carpenters son preaching a gospel that was as enriching, and helped filled people with hope.

So here I am; Rev. Cam Garcia...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, I was recently ordained on August 15, 2013, a nice day. I joined because I was looking for something to do, and have had this feeling about being in service to man. Now I've seen the ULC, and had seen the 1976 "60 Min" expose on the ULC, but on that day, I kind of happened to look at churches and found the ULC website. Well after reading through the material, and watching the video on Conan O'Brien being ordained as a minister, I figured why not. This may be something fun to do. So I joined, but before I actually sent my information I asked my wife, and she said sure; so I joined.

However, there is another side to the coin as they say. You see I was born into the Catholic Religion; born to a dad who came from the Philippines in 1925, and to my mom who was a War Bride from the Philippines in 1949, I was born into a religion I had no control of. So for the next 18 years I went to Roman Catholic Church, did all of the sacraments, and more or less became ingrained in the Catholic Religion. However, I never was a real believer, or a staunch cross carrying Catholic. After marrying my wife in 1974, she converted to Roman Catholicism (Methodist), and we had three sons, all of which are now grown. Soon she became a Catholic lay person teaching religion. But there was one big issue, and that was I was a Transgendered individual going from Male to female.

We've been married for the last 39 years this coming September 7th, but in the meantime everyone knows of my transition, after my transition I suddenly bloomed from being a scared person afraid to talk about my own transitioni; but now I am a speaker on Transgendered issues. At the same time, I find my old Catholic friends now attending non-denominational services, to include my married son in the AF who with his wife have now found a congregation of younger folks, of all mixed religious affiliations in their non-denominational church.

But as for me, within the last ten years; I felt an urge to move, to go out and find a calling, its not a big one where I suddenly find the room filled with a heavenly light, or a voice that says "Follow me"; but one that tells me that I need to search for a place to call my own, one that will let me practice my faith; but in my own way, so here I am. I would like to use my own history as a Transgendered woman to minister to the GLBT members who find that their own churches look down on them, I would like to find a place where I can perform rituals of marriage for both straight and LGBT individuals and their families. I find that the idea of me, as a woman who has reached her own pinnacle of growth as a Transgendered woman would now like to turn her energies to something that is the basis for who we are, and hat is the spiritual health of all.

I may not have my own congregation (I really hate to be in charge of a church), but as Christ went out to the hinterlands to preach, I find that maybe I can do the same thing, and work among the people where I live, and minister to them.

I'm sure my pastor at our church will be alarmed at what I'm doing, but then; many people in the Jewish faith at the time of Christ were also alarmed at this so-called Carpenters son preaching a gospel that was as enriching, and helped filled people with hope.

So here I am; Rev. Cam Garcia...

Awesome!!!!

Welcome!!!!!

:)

Hi Everyone,

I was recently ordained through ULC on June 5th of this year. I haven't taken any huge steps in actually *doing* anything with the title of "Minister" but am looking forward to exploring the possibilities. The reasons for my choosing ULC reach back almost fourteen years ago when I first felt the calling to the ministry at 19.

I actually was voted in to pastor a church by it's members at 19 too which was an amazing experience. I started taking issue with my denomination almost straight away because of it's "joining" requirements. Then there was also the fact that I am gay, which I'm sure most people know pretty much ruins a lot of really good ministers chances of fulfilling their calling.

So over the years, I have pretty much broadened my spiritual views and grown personally to the point of not really being able to find a fit church wise. In frustration, I eventually gave up on trying to be a minister because of my frustrations with the organized churches of the world.

This year though, the state in which I live (Minnesota) passed a law that legalized same sex marriage in the state. For the first time, I realized that the door was open for me to be able to fulfil every obligation to my calling. It always bugged me that if I were ordained, I would be able to perform weddings for my best friends legally without ever being able to legally marry my best friend.

This combined with the fact that when you have a calling like ministry it never really goes away if it's sincere, you just learn to ignore it in the face of not knowing what to do with it anymore, has made me consider my spiritual leadership path again. So, I guess we'll see what comes of it. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I had alway had a calling to be a priest but years ago there were no "pagan" seminaries around (there are now but outside my price range) I became a ordained minister thought the ULC then set about setting up a small Celto-Roman temple and doing research on this my chosen path, I wish to thank the ULC for making this possible.

we do call our temple a congregation of the ULC but have yet to officially get a charter (but soon will)

Blessings to all, Di vos incolumen custodiant

Fr. Nathaniel Hunt aka Wolf Paradox

• 1 month later...

Salutations Brothers and Sisters

I would love to answer the question why. But it's complicated, and IMHO would need a bit of back story.

(warning Will Robinson Warning!.... I ramble at times so forgive me.)

I was born on April 1, 1966 on a US military base. State side. A perfect day ( as long as you love thunderstorms and heavy rain ) to come into this world. When I was 2 and 1/2 months old, I lost my hearing to fun loving partying teens. The 4th of July (Independence day in the US) was approaching, and they had tossed fireworks inside of our car while we where traveling through a tunnel. ( I hold no animosity towards them and wish them the best)

Not only had I lost my hearing but developed seizures. Hence my life was interesting to say the least. Since both of my parents were non-coms, we traveled a lot from post to post in the US and eventually ended up in Japan. Where I first met my uncle whom had became a Buddhist. Which for my parents was a bit hard to swallow since my mother at the time was a Southern Baptist and my farther was Roman Catholic. So, I ended up quite confused by religion practices in church and in the temple or shrine.

We where living in California , San Fran area when I turned 7 and had surgery to repair my eardrums so they docs could place tubes. I ended up with some hearing and lost the seizures. ( scared the sh-at-# out of me cause no one had expected I would gain it back and had never prepared me for it. ) Speech therapy classes became part of my life. And well, with being a military brat, I was never allowed to stay put. So, my teachers changed often. And the classes changed a bit to focus more on communication. I ended up learning to read lips to help supplement. ( blessings that I had because my hearing was not so great and did not last very long.)

I beaten up so often by other kids (mostly due, I think for not understanding them) and learned to protect myself via lies. ( not like I had a visual impairment) But not only where kids my problem but adults as well when it came to church services. "why the hell you here if you can't hear what we are preaching" I took it upon myself to visit other religious venues with the few friends I did manage to make in what time I had. ( military brat remember?)

Hence to make this shorter, I felt like a polygon with no hole. Lots of exposure over the years to different ideologies And sanctimonious BS from the posers religious sects. I turned my other cheek and walked away. I was determined to help others so later in life I became a paramedic and a firefighter. Had a better than average streak for saving the lives of my patients. And had received lot comments that I must be gifted. I am not gifted, I just care. Or maybe I was just out to prove everyone was wrong. I soon found myself offering a prayer for guidance and discovered that I did so in different theologies. Which confused me even more.

One day I was really watching my family during holiday at home and a light went off in my head. I had an epiphany. I realized that my parents and family had incorporated many faucets of other religions in our Christian celebrations. SO we a people tend to take what we like and discard the rest. Our own personal religion. I started to see it every where I looked. Celtic, Druid, Christian, Judaism and list goes on and on all the way to the Egyptians and more likely than not far beyond them as well.

I am a Heinz 57 mutt. Plain and simple. It is not the Religion that's is the way to eternal life but our commitment to the trek through life and our devotion to our own style of religious displays. Along with the love we have for one another and our personal relationship to what lays beyond.

I am a student and follower first a teacher second and a leader to those that wish to follow.

Now why did I join? Because others like myself are out there.

DO what is right and do no harm. an ever ongoing endeavor.

May peace and love follow in your footsteps

Rev. O'Connell

you folks are right, :) it is strange to type that the fist time.

Edited by toktu

Greetings all!

I became a minister in part to try to work out my issues with religion - actually with Christianity. I was raised, (razed?) in a selectively read, rigidly enforced "Bible is clear & obvious - if it's interpreted correctly, (which only we can do!)!" cult, which, in its day was one of the best-known 'fringe' groups around, (before the more strident Jimmy Jones came up). I want to find folks who weren't the "What we have is *the* Inspired Truth - this here is IT!!!!"; to mingle with people who don't equate "Better" with 'more (time in church, money, verbosity in prayer, 'proper' credentials, popularity, etc.)'. I want to meet folks who -- regardless of religion -- apply the Biblical mandates to: 1.) Prove all things; 2.) Test the spirits; 3.) Study [ergo think] to show yourselves approved; and, (the grand finale): 4.) Be doers and not hearers only. Of course, if a good number of them appreciate the idea that the "word kills", all the better! I like the idea of a Doctrine that is as simply stated and, in my opinion, universal as: "Do that which is right", as well as the other distinctives, (the Objective, Goal, Slogan & Maxim, which is as close to a Dogma as I hope the ULC ever gets). I hope to meet several folks who appreciate the difference between 'spiritual' and 'religious'.

In fact, I was thinking of the apparent abyss between these two things while trying to find a good user name for this forum. I decided to play with the words and actually take all that is spiritual out of the religious; I removed the common letters from religious, then from spiritual. The results were rather interesting: "Religious" was left with 'E-G-O' and "Spiritual" was reduced to "P T A". Voila! an interesting User name. Of course "EGO" is easy to remember, especially if linked to 'religious'; "PTA" is not so accommodating, but I decided to link it to my (in-progress) P.O.V: "Profound Theology = Action!" as a mnemonic.

I have no real interest in approaching religion except as an academic topic. I have an eclectic approach to spirituality. Currently I'm studying metaphysics, A.D.F., some mythology and Spiritual Health - all rather holistically. I hope to start the ULC Seminary soon, beginning with the Chaplaincy program and a good non-denominational, albeit unaccredited, Master of Religious Studies or Master of Divinity degree soon after.

I was ordained on 01/11/07, a week before my birthday, (not saying which!), and right before Andre took the reins. (I was originally ordained about 3 months after Kirby Hensley passed; I regret never having corresponded with him as I think knowing him may have sped my journey to this point in my life.) After almost 7 years since joining, (14.5 since my first time), I find myself ready and far more able to discover what lays ahead, in part because I now know *AND* understand that it's all about the journey, not the destination

• 2 weeks later...

I was first ordained over 25 years ago as a Deacon by 11 Deacons and one Pastor by laying-on of hands in a Southern Baptist Church, but was later asked to leave because they found out I wasn't "their kind of people", that is mixed race even though passable as White.

My next spiritual experience was in the Episcopal Church where again I was trained to be a Deacon and Priest, but no go again. I was allowed to assist Priests with liturgy including the Eucharist, but not to be ordained. Off and on for 30 years I was a Lay Eucharistic Minister, doing everything but confecting the Sacrament, even though I had been trained to do so.

After my wife and I moved to be with her mother, I found the local Episcopal Churches had no need of my "special training", so I joined my mother-in-law at her church.

The ULC ordination and degrees (M. in R., and D.Div.) helped me to accepted that I could follow my calling my own way without the "recognition/ permission" of mainline established Christian Churches.

I'm still a Christian, but on my own terms as I feel guided by my God, as I understand him. I don't have to let others limit me based on arbitrary standards or personalities or politics.

I can follow the Calling I've had since I was baptized at 15 years old. At 54 I may be late getting there, but I'm there.

Thank you, ULC.

Well, I was ordained a year ago in the ULC. After years of teaching the catachism, getting a Masters in Pastoral Studies, being a missionary, etc...I thought I really needed to follow what God wanted me to do. To serve and love others. As I began ministry, the Christian community cast me aside because I would help others no matter their faith or their culture and that I preached a message of healing and acceptance. I was Catholic, highly believe in the principles of the faith (as written on paper), yet the leadership was lacking. And since I was lacking one vital component in being ordained (being a woman), I had a hard choice to make. Then one of my wise elders said to me, "Pale Moon, are you going to let a church get between you and what God wants for you?" That is when I decided and had my Osage Elder (ordained many years ago in the ULC) to help with my ordination and do special prayers and ceremonies so that now I can walk the path that Creator wishes for me.

I seek always to serve. I am hoping I can do so in a complete manner.

Never too late RevBMc.

Thanks Fawzo. Better now than later.

Besides I have this feeling that Someone was giving some people the chance to do the right thing and they didn't.

Oh, well. That's them and not me.

I do what I feel led to do, and that's all I can do.

Well, I was ordained a year ago in the ULC. After years of teaching the catachism, getting a Masters in Pastoral Studies, being a missionary, etc...I thought I really needed to follow what God wanted me to do. To serve and love others. As I began ministry, the Christian community cast me aside because I would help others no matter their faith or their culture and that I preached a message of healing and acceptance. I was Catholic, highly believe in the principles of the faith (as written on paper), yet the leadership was lacking. And since I was lacking one vital component in being ordained (being a woman), I had a hard choice to make. Then one of my wise elders said to me, "Pale Moon, are you going to let a church get between you and what God wants for you?" That is when I decided and had my Osage Elder (ordained many years ago in the ULC) to help with my ordination and do special prayers and ceremonies so that now I can walk the path that Creator wishes for me.

Yeah, sometimes we have to be like St. John the Baptist and approach people the way God leads us, not man.

I have nothing against organized religion, except as it works against the One(s) it professes to believe in.

Remember, we are all on a journey. Sometimes we wonder in the forest a bit before we find our way.

I did.

Peace.

• 3 weeks later...

I was raised a Lutheran so there wasn't much to surprise me about the Bible anymore because I have read it several times. I came to the conclusion that I didn't agree with the Old Testament at all, found Revelations to be incoherent and useless since God commanded that we wouldn't know the hour of His coming, and I think that we are at a New Reformation of Christianity.

We need to rethink what it means to be a Christian, to accept the Bible as a living and changing document, since it has been changed so much since Christ's death and resurrection. I would take out the Old Testament, remove Revelations and preach simply:

Jesus commanded us three things:

1. To treat others as He has treated us. Love one another.

2. Take the Sacrament often to remember Him and cleanse our souls.

3. No one gets to the Father except through Jesus.

I have decided to go my own way, to create a new Bible out of the old, to create new traditions and to carry them out in a loving and thoughtful way, the way Christ intended as I believe Him to be. I am hoping others will join me in my endeavors.

I am in Anchorage, Alaska and look forward to meeting others of like mind.

I was raised a Lutheran so there wasn't much to surprise me about the Bible anymore because I have read it several times. I came to the conclusion that I didn't agree with the Old Testament at all, found Revelations to be incoherent and useless since God commanded that we wouldn't know the hour of His coming, and I think that we are at a New Reformation of Christianity.

We need to rethink what it means to be a Christian, to accept the Bible as a living and changing document, since it has been changed so much since Christ's death and resurrection. I would take out the Old Testament, remove Revelations and preach simply:

Jesus commanded us three things:

1. To treat others as He has treated us. Love one another.

2. Take the Sacrament often to remember Him and cleanse our souls.

3. No one gets to the Father except through Jesus.

I have decided to go my own way, to create a new Bible out of the old, to create new traditions and to carry them out in a loving and thoughtful way, the way Christ intended as I believe Him to be. I am hoping others will join me in my endeavors.

I am in Anchorage, Alaska and look forward to meeting others of like mind.

I welcome you to the forum.

I wish you well on your spiritual journey... wherever it takes you.

But, as we are not of like mind, beginning with the fact that I am a Jew, we may not have much occasion to interact.

I welcome you to the forum.

I wish you well on your spiritual journey... wherever it takes you.

But, as we are not of like mind, beginning with the fact that I am a Jew, we may not have much occasion to interact.

Like my good friend, Peter (RabbiO), I too welcome you to the forum, ChrisinAK.

I find your willingness to adopt the holy pronouncement "as your own" ("Behold, I make all things new"), to be rather refreshing.

Unlike Peter, I am not a Jew. Unlike many fellow Christians, I do not believe that " No one gets to the Father except through Jesus.".

So we will likely have quite a lot to discuss in the future.

Welcome aboard.

• 1 month later...
  • Amulet locked, featured and unpinned this topic