Why I Became Ordained By The Ulc

Well hi there everyone!

My name is Chris and I am a newly ordained minister. I love everything about the ULC. As no real religion applied to my beliefs, I came upon the ULC. I very much like the idea of just doing what is good because its the right thing to do, as well as freedom of believing in what you want to believe. That is why I chose to become a minister. I mistakenly (probably like many before me) humbled upon "the monastery". Until I did some more research, I found the real ULC and feel much better about this forum. I hope to soon perform marriages, baptisms, funerals, and et cetera. I am more than happy to say I am now a ULC minister, and am very proud of that fact. By the way, has anyone performed any marriages yet in MA or FL? I am eager to find out the difficulty of this! Also, does anyone have stories of helping out at hospitals or random acts of helping in public (as a minister)? I love the stories and the inspiration that the ULC has given me!

Thank you,

Reverend Chris

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello everyone,

my name is Melanie. I'm a german writer.

I became ordained on the 5th of October this year.

By accident I found out about the ULC.

I would call myself an atheist, but not a non spiritual person. There is more in this world than we are able to see or maybe even understand. But I wouldn't call that god. Nevertheless it's very important to me to respect all believes and concepts of life as long as they are peaceful.

To be an ordained minister means a lot to me. All my accomplishments in my life are in the past. I can have my diploma on the walls but they are not saying much about the person I am now. But the Credentials of Ministery from the ULC which is hanging on the wall says a lot about the person I'm now and the person I want to be. It reminds me, that I want to be a better person. That I always have to question what is right, what I do, even what I think.

Being a good person is my goal. Of course that means to help other people but it also means to me to always work on myself to become a better person. That also means to understand. The people around me as well as myself.

At the moment I'm reading the bible completely. The koran and other religious texts shall follow. Because I want to understand. That includes motivation through religion.

I believe that faith can make someone strong. It can be support in hard times and give stability through life. That's also why I'm always happy when I know that someone has a strong faith in something (peacefully). However, every religion has it's wisdom and I hope to that I can learn from it.

Unfortunately the ULC is not recognised in Germany. I would very much like to perform marriages, but even if the ULC would be recognised here, no Church (not even the catholic) is allowed in Germany to perform legally recognized marriages.

I'm so happy to have found the ULC. It's a place where I really feel I belong. I always believed that we are all equal and that no faith and no way of living is better than another one.

I believe in the good of every human being and that we're truly one.

From the heart I wish all of you happiness and wisdom to do that which is right.

Melanie

• 3 weeks later...

Why I Became Ordained By The ULC

The triggering event was my son’s asking me to perform the marriage ceremony for him and his fiancée.

I have known of the ULC since its beginning, having then lived in the San Francisco area. The newspapers often carried stories about the Church’s formation and of the struggles it had with officialdom in establishing its legitimacy.

A friend of mine became ordained by the ULC and performed marriage ceremonies within our friendship group.

I worked in Modesto during years 1975 through 1979, and was more aware of the Church’s presence then. I thought about connecting with the Church, but was too busy at the time.

I have always been interested in ideas relating to life and the spirit and, more recently, the soul. I have read widely and have been attracted to some aspects of Christianity, but more to aspects of Buddhism and The Dao (Tao).

In recent years, after having retired from employment in 2002, I have written articles in my online, non-commercial magazine (a ‘blog’), The Pavellas Perspective, some of which articles include writings on philosophical and spiritual matters, such as:

Before and After Human Consciousness, or The Voice of God vs. Auditory Hallucinations

Attempting to Comprehend Man

Jung’s “Answer to Job”

Scientism, Secular Humanism, Hubris

The “Law of Service” and Other Findings in Hermann Hesse’s Journey to the East

Writing about writing and arguing for God—a very difficult book

I have other ‘blogs’, one of which is for creative writing. There are some pertinent essays in this, as well, such as on defining ‘reality’: A Few Words.

I have no doubt there is a force in the universe greater than man, or of which man is a part. Words tend to limit understanding, as well as to enhance it between persons. Spiritual and soulful matters are often not well served by words, unless perhaps in poetic and musical form. I recently became, again, reminded of this ‘greater power’ upon watching and listening to a performance, recorded on DVD, of Mozart’s Great C minor Mass. The performers include John Eliot Gardiner directing the musicians and singers, and the two magnificent sopranos Barbara Bonney and Anne Sofie von Otter.

This is a ramble, I know, but it reflects some of the reasons (and not only ‘reason’ goaded me) for my feeling comfortable in now associating with a church, especially ULC which has no dogma, and whose creed is perfectly stated in my view:

Do only that which is right.

A real pleasure to make your acquaintance !!

Thanks, Bro. Same on this end.

I read your bio.

Three of my grand parents emigrated from Greece around 1900. On my mother's side, the circumstances sound similar to those of your antecedents: poverty, Great Depression, etc. It's amazing how my mother and her two sisters and one brother survived the Great Depression and many hardships to live productive lives until they reached the end at ages 80-95.

Welcome rpavellas (until we know what you prefer :unsure: ) and I must say an interesting history on your site noted in signature.

Stockholm? Really? My favorite aunt and uncle live in Kvicksund, not too far from Esliklstuna where my grandparents were from. I stayed there, and Uppsala, for 10 months while taking studies at Uppsala Universitet (and on Birka) in 2000 as part of my Fellowship Program. It was such an overwhelming experience to walk the same roads and streets as my ancient ancestors once did.

In the past, several of my relatives told similar stories to what I'm sure you heard from your grandparents about living during the Great Depression and shows, regardless of from where, the hearty nature of our fore bearers making a new life for themselves and the generations to follow. I think we owe them all an honorable place in our memories.

I hope you quickly find yourself to home here and we look forward to hearing more from you.

Blessings of Peace,

Hello, Atwater (Is this how you wish to be addressed?),

I respond well to 'Ron'. I have used the nom-de-radio "Pavel Hammer" when I had a 2-hour classical music show on Sundays in Homer, Alaska, 1993-95. But that was then.

Yes, connections are everywhere. I am no longer much surprised about coincidences and synchronicities. I believe Carl Jung predicted this in self-aware people as they age.

Uppsala is a lovely town, full of interesting history, as you know. At a church there I attended the ceremony where my wife's oldest son received his medical doctorate. I have friends there whom I visit occasionally. What was the object of your fellowship?

I moved to Sweden to be with my Swedish wife who, when we married in San Jose 10 years ago, was still employed in Sweden (I had just retired), as she still is.

I don't have the Swedish language well for several reasons/excuses, primarily because I don't have to. No doubt you discovered how well many or most people (in the major population centers, anyway) speak English. There are many English-speaking expatriates in Stockholm, as well. Before I really retired into writing, I founded the English speaking Rotary Cub in Stockholm, chartered May, 2003.

As for the feeling of treading the land that your ancestors did, I had, perhaps, a similar anticipatory experience before visiting Greece for the first, and so far only time. Eva and I were särbo for five years (back and forth between Stockholm and San Jose). One summer we (along with three of her children) met in Kos, a Greek island where Hippocrates had his Asklepieion. I wrote this poem(?) in anticipation: On the Eve of Traveling to the Land of My Ancestors. I did feel at home there, even though I don't speak the language.

I have reflected on the experiences of my nearest forebears and on the times they lived, in many of the articles of my 'family' blog, and elsewhere. If you may have an interest, you can go here: https://pavellasfamily.wordpress.com/; and here: Hard Times.

I may well visit ULC HQ in Modesto in May next year when I will begin an extended visit with my daughter and her family (and see others in my family). I was chief executive of the County's hospital 1975-79, and one of my five children was born in Modesto. My personality type (INTJ--just Google it) is such that I take things seriously, including now being ordained by ULC. I don't take it lightly; I want to behave responsibly toward the church while under its mantle.

I see that there are a number of ULC ministers in Sweden, including a handful in and around Stockholm. I don't know yet if I will attempt contact with them.

It's pleasant communicating with you.

Med vänliga hälsningar,

Ron

pavellas.com

Welcome rpavellas (until we know what you prefer :unsure: ) and I must say an interesting history on your site noted in signature.

Stockholm? Really? My favorite aunt and uncle live in Kvicksund, not too far from Esliklstuna where my grandparents were from. I stayed there, and Uppsala, for 10 months while taking studies at Uppsala Universitet (and on Birka) in 2000 as part of my Fellowship Program. It was such an overwhelming experience to walk the same roads and streets as my ancient ancestors once did.

In the past, several of my relatives told similar stories to what I'm sure you heard from your grandparents about living during the Great Depression and shows, regardless of from where, the hearty nature of our fore bearers making a new life for themselves and the generations to follow. I think we owe them all an honorable place in our memories.

I hope you quickly find yourself to home here and we look forward to hearing more from you.

Blessings of Peace,

• 1 month later...

Hello All...Well a friend of mine (A member of the female Auxillary of the Fraternity I belong to) became a minister so that she could officiate her cousin's wedding. I read and researched and like the doctrine of Universal Life Church and decided to become ordained. Though i didn't really think much about it, as I have been doing more research and reading different posts on the forum, I am coming to the conclusion that I have made the wight decision. I grew up going to catholic school and went to various churches but never really fit in. I was always open minded and questioned everything and that didn't sit to well with those I interacted with. This will give me an opportunity to inspire like minded individuals to openly have a person to come to and discuss our thoughts...Excited about this journey....

I first got ordained for a laugh. However, as time went on I began to appreciate the religious freedom of the ULC and its universal fellowship. The ULC has been there for me through thick and thin and each changing idea I have had. Its a growing experience for me and I am very grateful it exists. I now could not think of any other mainstream church I would want an ordination from and I am very proud of my ULC ordination.

Be Blessed, I became Ordained by ULC,for the mere fact since I was a small child I knew I had alot of Gifts to share with all of God's children,as a 4th generation Healer & a 3rd. generation Empath a (blessing & curse) to be able to feel others pains,emotions,I knew my life was never going to be the same ever again.I have been blessed to be able to send healing energies to anyone's thru my eye's hands & breath & distance (you dont have to be in the same state or counrty as me),But GOD gave me all my powers & I will always use them for my highest intentions,I have been able to see earth bound spirits since i can recall,being able to speak.When I started doing Spiritual Readings alot of my clients would tell me That I have a very powerful gift to share with the world,and so here I am as a Usui Reiki Master-Teacher on 09-09-09,is when I started seeing,hearing,knowing when other spirits were near me.My Relationship with the Father,Son & the Holy Ghost,is very strong,he is my everything,without him I am nothing, and I already knew this,since I am able to be all that I AM suppose to be,my next step on my spiritual journey was & is to be a minister,I come from a long list of Ministers within my family,and know that I can speak to my family that have passed on at any given time.I dont touch things that often for the mere fact I can absorb all kinds of energy my (Life Force ) is always vibrating HIGH.And I always speak life over every situation,when I AM working with my clients giving a Spiritual Reading I have their lives within my grasp as I AM very Intuitive when it comes to my healing practice.Since my Spiritual Awakening I have gotten so much more stronger,Now ISO my Twin Flame as I deal with the I AM AWAKE,and all my symptoms as my eye sight is blurried & i get rashe's very often,my eating habits have changed,My life has changed for the better,As I AM about to write my first of many books about my awakening & sychronicity my memory is coming back to me.God Bless Everyone.I really love Mark 16:18,Matt 7:7

Edited by Rev.FKBush

I am a former Old Catholic priest. I was born into a semi-religious family, Catholic and Episcopalian.

I became a priest because I felt "called" to do so. From my childhood I always had it in the back of my mind to get ordained.

I have grown oh so tired of the "established Churches". I have come to my own conclusions regarding the afterlife and how one "gets there".

The doctrine of "Do that which is right." fits me perfectly.

Christianity is but one part of it all. This world is a victim of itself. Humans infest it and don't take care of it. My old mantra was "God should just start from scratch and wipe the current slate clean!"

Well growing older my heart isn't hard anymore but I still believe humanity is hosed up big time.

I hope I can be a guiding light for others to find themselves and what they believe.

Call me Father John if you want. I'm using my old title to show I am trying to be a spiritual "Father" for others no matter their faith or lack there of (I am a very loosely based christian minister, seeing all that is good in the world not coming from just followers of Jesus.)

Thanks for listening and I look forward to getting to know you all much better in due time.

welcome father john g :) yours is a particularly interesting path! I have tons of questions for you, being the product of private catholic schools and all, haha

seriously though, while catholic education was wasted on me in many ways, I learned much from many wise sisters and priests there. and into adulthood, jesuits and sisters of st joseph among my friends .. it was the church, its history and hierarchy which offended me not the individuals called to serve.

I look forward to hearing more (and welcome, if I haven't done so already) :)

welcome father john g :) yours is a particularly interesting path! I have tons of questions for you, being the product of private catholic schools and all, haha

seriously though, while catholic education was wasted on me in many ways, I learned much from many wise sisters and priests there. and into adulthood, jesuits and sisters of st joseph among my friends .. it was the church, its history and hierarchy which offended me not the individuals called to serve.

I look forward to hearing more (and welcome, if I haven't done so already) :)

Thank you I would love to answer any questions that you have. Now remember I am a former Old Catholic priest. Here is a link to information about Old Catholics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Catholic_Church

I know it's Wiki but it is accurate.

:)

My decision to become ordained at ULC was not as easy of a decision as some might think.

I am an Independent Fundamental Baptist currently studying at three schools for what I may

call my "Devine Calling". I was reborn and Baptized years back but walked the Isle and profesed

my life to full time service to My Lord Christ. I have Studied and passed Eight Certificate classes

at the "Frankfort Baptist Institute" " http://frankfortbaptisttemple.hylesandersoninstitute.com/ " and

I am currently taking general Pastoral Studies on line at Hyles Anderson College, located in Hamond IN. My current Curiculim is:comprised o

• Essentials of Student Counseling
  • Second Man
  • Biblical Missions
  • Preaching I
  • Principles of Leadership
  • Pastoral Epistles
  • Biblical Theology I
  • Biblical Theology II
  • United States History I
  • Introduction to Education
  • Prayer
  • Biblical Theology I
  • New Testament Survey
  • Personal Evangelism
  • Life of Christ
  • History of the Bible
  • BOOK OF GENESIS
  • Daniel and Revelation
  • Church & School Law
  • The Book of Proverbs
  • English Grammar and Composition 101
  • Acts of the Apostles
  • Old Testament Survey
  • Speech
  • General Mathematics
  • Personal Finance
  • Preparation for Leadership
  • Christian Manhood I
  • Christian Manhood II

I am also currently a student at the ULC Seminary. I spend my time Preaching and evangelizing to home bound nursing Homes in the Carroll County and surrounding areas and offering spiritual enouragment and support. to put it all in a nut shell:

I am Ordained with a Baptist Background by Universal Life Church.

I Preform Christian Wedding Ceremonies and Preach the Word of God as
written in the King James Version of the Holy Bible. To me the Word of
God is infallible and the final authority on all spiritual matters.

I believe that some denominations and ministers charging outrageous fees
to perform The Christian Rite of legal Weddings is an abomination to
the truth and Love of our Savior Jesus Christ. I Perform all Christian
Ceremonies FREE of charge. I do not discourage a love offering for
ceremonies but they are NEVER required. If you would be interested in my
services in the state of Indiana please feel free to contact me at:

jasonendress-at-live.com

rev.jendress-at-live.com or

Contact me on Facebook

God Bless ~ Reverend Jason Endress

Registered -at-:

1: Carroll County Clerks Office

2: Tippicanoe county Clerks Office

3: Howard Count Clerks Office

4: White County Clerks Office

HYLES ANDERSON BAPTIST COLLEGE

Edited by ReverendEndress
  • 4 weeks later...

I was ordained out of curiosity a couple of years ago. Then I spent sometime figuring out the Universal Life Churches. Decided that ULC at Modesto was the founding church, period, end of sentence.

Then I dug in and realized I can't agree with what the founder wrote in many cases, then I read some more and realized, to my level of understanding that much of what he wrote was designed to 'kick people's butts' out of religious complacency for what they believed as individuals. Okay, maybe that's just the way I see it.

Then, I recently purchased a minister's kit and read the introductory booklet for the Universal ministry. The doctrine of the Universal Life Church as founded at Modesto, CA, is something I can agree with. I read the last page and it indeminified me for my thoughts of the founder's writings.

In any case, I am a full supporter of everyone's freedom of religion and freedom of religiion. My family and extended family are primarily Christians of various levels of faith. I have recently stumbled across a cousin who has appeared to be Atheist but really is simply anti-Christian for some reason which remains a mystery but in the simplest sense he is a good kid, nonetheless. If I get a chance, I 'll talk to him about ULC and get him thinking beyond his thinking. There has been much tragedy in my family and even my father called me a "Jesus freak" at an earlier stage in my life.

I was baptized in the Baptist Church and the faith which hasn't failed me. I believe in one Almighty God, Creator of the Universe, Heaven, and Earth. I believe in his most excelllent teacher, Jesus Christ, often referred to as His only begotten Son and the Holy Spirit.

I believe that religion as we know it is created by man and therefore is whacked and often leads people to something other than a beneficial life on this earth. I believe that religions of man, as often perverted by man, have been the cause of much atrocity in the world past and present.

Peace be with all. May God bless you as you seek.

Brother Earl

------------------------

Edited by gizaap

Pleased to meet you Brother Earl.

Yours was a most interesting and insightful self-introduction.

I enjoyed reading it, and thank you for sharing your views with us all.

Bro. Hex

Thank you. :)

I have more to share but ya'll got the brief version. I did notice I really didn't fully answer the question about why I became ordained by ULC.

Edited by gizaap

I was born into a Witch family. Our cover religion was Roman Catholic. I have always practiced my earth-based duelist religion and believe that all should have the right to follow their heart. I am teaching (and have taught) basic earth-based religious concepts. I also have private students. One day my acolyte asked if I would perform a handfasting for her and her life partner. I told her that I was not registered in the State of Iowa to officiate marriages. She gave me your site and here I am.

I belong to a Uniterian Universalist Church and through them became a part of the CUUPS group. CUUPS stands for Covenant of Unitarian Universalist Pagans. A church that welcomes pagans and doesn't descriminate based on the "christianity" of your belief(s). Rather like the ULC...hmmmm...I think I am seeing a pattern!

• Amulet locked, featured and unpinned this topic