Why I Became Ordained By The Ulc

Over 20 years ago I took a three year course in Druidry with the Order of Bards, Ovates and Druids in the UK. After attaining the three grades I was accepted into the order as a full Druid. The nature of Druidry is such that it satisfies my mind. However, it is not recognised by the authorities as having any value, indeed the philosophy is often treated with contempt or amusement. Of course, Britain has a state religion with the Queen at its head, so other faiths, although tolerated, are not treated as equal. To my way of thinking my beliefs are no less valid than those of any other system, none of which can produce any proof.

Being ordained by the ULC gave me the feeling of belonging to a community of people I can respect and for that I thank you.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have long felt an attraction toward the clerical state. I am a devout Catholic, but I am at odds with and disaffected from my church's hierarchy on certain issues. Due to reasons I won't go into here, being a Catholic priest is not a realistic option for me. I am instead living the celibate life in the world. I see being a ULC minister as a means for me to be more fruitful, generative, and other-directed as a Christian celibate. Unlike many others, I did not obtain ordination primarily to officiate weddings, though I'm not certainly not averse to that. I am mainly interested in offering religious counseling and preaching.

Additionally, I am a Hermetic, a Rosicrucian, and a Golden Dawn practicioner, all things upon my church hierarchy but are acceptable within the ULC framework. The non-dogmatic nature of the ULC then is a good fit for my combination of exoteric and esoteric spiritual pursuits.

I have wanted to do this since I was a teenager (40 years ago). I've always been a spiritual person (though not always devout), enjoying a close relationship with my Creator, and deeply interested in improving my understanding of Man's place in His Universe . Once, I even clipped a ULC advertisment out of a check-out line newspaper with the intention of seeking my ordination, but never sent it in. Then, a couple years ago (as the presiding officer of a fraternal organization I belong to) I was asked to officiate at a funeral for one of our members. I was honored to do so . . . A few months later I was asked to perform the ceremony for another, and then another . . . One day last year, someone asked if I did weddings too . . . and even though I knew they were kidding me, I figured . . . "Why not?" It still took me another 6 to 8 months to get around to submitting my application . . .But here I am . . . Now, besides weddings and funerals, I'd like to get some training that would qualify me to counsel couples and troubled teens.

Well, That is a REALLY good question. I started of much like many others who have posted. I am always the one friends come to for honest non judgemental advise, comsoling, comforting etc... So goes the last 30 years or so. I studied, lightly, many religious beliefs, dabbling in a few, reading more on others during that time. Now to recently, when I got Ordained. My older brother of 11 years is getting married, for the 3rd time, in 6 months and wanted a low key, personal wedding. He asked me to participate in the wedding, I thought like being his best man or something, NO to officiate IT! Well, since I was not ordained at anything, but thrilled at the honor, I came here. AND the story really starts there. This has brought out some very interesting

times for me indeed and I hope it continues. And, by the way I will still have the pleasure of Officiating my bro's wedding in a few months too.

Over 20 years ago I took a three year course in Druidry with the Order of Bards, Ovates and Druids in the UK. After attaining the three grades I was accepted into the order as a full Druid. The nature of Druidry is such that it satisfies my mind. However, it is not recognised by the authorities as having any value, indeed the philosophy is often treated with contempt or amusement. Of course, Britain has a state religion with the Queen at its head, so other faiths, although tolerated, are not treated as equal. To my way of thinking my beliefs are no less valid than those of any other system, none of which can produce any proof.

Being ordained by the ULC gave me the feeling of belonging to a community of people I can respect and for that I thank you.

I have long felt an attraction toward the clerical state. I am a devout Catholic, but I am at odds with and disaffected from my church's hierarchy on certain issues. Due to reasons I won't go into here, being a Catholic priest is not a realistic option for me. I am instead living the celibate life in the world. I see being a ULC minister as a means for me to be more fruitful, generative, and other-directed as a Christian celibate. Unlike many others, I did not obtain ordination primarily to officiate weddings, though I'm not certainly not averse to that. I am mainly interested in offering religious counseling and preaching.

Additionally, I am a Hermetic, a Rosicrucian, and a Golden Dawn practicioner, all things upon my church hierarchy but are acceptable within the ULC framework. The non-dogmatic nature of the ULC then is a good fit for my combination of exoteric and esoteric spiritual pursuits.

I have wanted to do this since I was a teenager (40 years ago). I've always been a spiritual person (though not always devout), enjoying a close relationship with my Creator, and deeply interested in improving my understanding of Man's place in His Universe . Once, I even clipped a ULC advertisment out of a check-out line newspaper with the intention of seeking my ordination, but never sent it in. Then, a couple years ago (as the presiding officer of a fraternal organization I belong to) I was asked to officiate at a funeral for one of our members. I was honored to do so . . . A few months later I was asked to perform the ceremony for another, and then another . . . One day last year, someone asked if I did weddings too . . . and even though I knew they were kidding me, I figured . . . "Why not?" It still took me another 6 to 8 months to get around to submitting my application . . .But here I am . . . Now, besides weddings and funerals, I'd like to get some training that would qualify me to counsel couples and troubled teens.

Wonderful messages of individual lives progressing forward in their Spiritual Journey.

How absolutely invigorating to read! May you all succeed beyond your wildest dreams! may Peace be part of your message, Hope a prayer and Charity a gift that never passes you by!

Blessings of Peace to each and everyone of you!!

:paladin:

• 1 month later...

Thank you Atwater Vitki for the words, "...individual lives progressing forward in their Spiritual Journey."

As I progress in my spiritual journey, I am blessed with many gifts as I hope to share with others engaged in the same journey.

Why I became ordained: In 1987 a good friend and his bride to be wanted to be married underwater in SCUBA gear with family and friends above in a glass bottom boat at Catalina Island off the California coast. He could not find a SCUBA qualified minister who would participate in the ceremony, so we came up with a solution, and I became ordained in the ULC. Later, before the ceremony the bride got "dry feet", so to speak and decided she did not want to marry my friend anywhere. Oh well, better then than later.

May 1988, my wife of six years and I sailed away on our 46' sailboat after retiring. This was our dream voyage, mine since I was ten years old, (1948) and hers since we met in 1982. We sailed around the Western Hemisphere for 18 years, living our dream. It was even better than we had dreamed. Everything we wanted was on board our boat or easily attained, local folks must eat, so we ate what they did. The oceans are full of food, so we farmed them, diving, fishing, clamming, etc. We ended up in NW Florida, buying a small waterfront home on Bayou Chico, near Pensacola, FL. As always, we made friends with the locals and were asked to officiate at some friends wedding in 1996. This took place in their backyard. Afterwards we have performed weddings while knee deep in the Gulf of Mexico, on the beach, on our deck by the bayou, in community centers and on board a "pirate" vessel.

I do not ask for payment, however, if they insist I suggest a donation to the charity or church of their choice. Some insist on a token of their appreciation, so I accept any good single malt from Scotland. I tailor the ceremony and vows to their wishes, yet I demand a session with them to discuss COMMITMENT, which I consider to be the essence of a successful marriage. I have refused to participate in weddings where I felt there was a lack of commitment. I feel a couple must stand in front of their family, friends and God and state their intentions.

While I was raised in the Deep South as a Methodist, my Great Grandpa was a Methodist circuit rider in Tennessee during the war of northern aggression, I am a student of many beliefs. I have studied Zen Buddhism for over 50 years. Our boat is named "Satori". Perhaps I will be enlightened some day. I try to live by my beliefs, particularly Luke 6:37, "judge not and ye shall not be judged, condemn not and ye shall not be condemned, forgive and ye shall be forgiven."

Since this is getting too lengthy, I will post another message about the recent, (10/22/2011) wedding aboard a "Pirate ship" where everyone was dressed as a pirate and I performed the ceremony three miles offshore of Orange Beach, Alabama.

Old Flat Head Tom

I have been on this forum for a while now and I have yet to post in this thread.

The reason I was ordained as a minister by the ULC was because I wanted to do something different. I hoped I could change peoples lives and better myself. I attended other churches and did not enjoy or like how they did things. A few years after being ordained I got into The Secret, and the Law of Attraction and by doing that I looked at things differently. I had a different perspective of the things that goes on in life.

In a way it is my hope that I can create something that will unite people no matter what religion or spiritual beliefs people have in their life. a place that doesn't restrict things to one belief, such as catholic or christian.

What I am trying to say is that the reason I wished to be ordained was to better peoples lives to have everyone understand that we are all children of the same universe. Meaning, the universe is our lives, the lives we create for ourselves. I will choose not to ramble on anymore so I will leave it at this. I was ordained because I wanted to change how people think, to open their eyes to other possibilities.

• 2 weeks later...

I applied for ordination in 2002, shortly after applying for SSD. I was in a coven that was considering 501c3 status, and we needed more ministers. Since then I have worked weddings, last rites and other open rituals for pagans and non pagans. I am now getting ready to embark on a journey offering my services to a local Occupy group. This will be interesting.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was watching a movie one day and the guy (a vampire hunter) was like, I bless my own water, I was ordained thru the internet. I was intrigued and curious if it was real. I was actually looking for online seminary classes, but came across ULC.

My reason for Ordainiment is to provide legally and legitimate religous services without the question of credentialling. ULC offers me the credential and I can still sevrve God/Christ fully.

• 1 month later...

Hey all.

I was ordained just today. I wanted to post a quick introduction.

My reason for being ordained is that I have been feeling the call to ministry for some time now. I have lived in mostly a judeo-christian paradigm though I was not specifically raised as such. I have always felt the need to help people But have never been so sure on the capacity. I have studied psychology and am now training order to be a qualified praqcticing psychologist, but I have always also been strongly interested and guided by love and biblical principles as I see them. I would like to combine all my knowledge to be used in a way that would help others.

My reason for being ordained the the ULC is that I am a judeo-christian, with a dash of pagan. I am a transgender woman and Im in a polyamorous relationship. I am also a member of a wonderful church that accepts that all. However the Presbyterian church of new zealand does not oradin queer people or those in my relationship setup. I did not want that to hinder my ability to help in the spheres of mind and soul so I'm taking this route..

Rev. Gates.

• 1 month later...

Hello to all!

I am a new member, and this is my first post.

I am a Freemason. I conduct masonic funeral servioces for our departed Brothers. I noticed that, while the family of the depated appreciates the masonic service, I felt that, by being ordained, I might be able to bring a little peace to the family.

My problem is that I now feel strongly about my calling, and feel sorely incompetent. I am hoping to gain advice, wisdom and guidance from those of you who have felt this way, and how to overcome it. Any advice or links you can guide me to, will be greatly appreciated!

God be with you all

• 3 weeks later...

Well I finally gave into that annoying feeling this is the path I am suppose to take. It started when I was 4 years old. I would come home from church and want to "preach". Well I kept having that feeling until my Grandfather passed away suddenly around 12-13 years old, then I was at a lost with "religion" I came back into my faith 15 years old (I wasn't gone to long) wanted to be an Evangelist and do revivals no roof, no rent, and no word of "offering" (that is my biggest beef with religion they mention offering more than they "preach" anyways..) I became a Sunday school teacher at the age of 17. Pastor's Granddaughter and I didn't see eye to eye so I left my church, but not my faith.

I haven't been back to a church since. I feel I can not trust a church any longer. I had talked to a Father recently and his words sparked something, I assume that spark I needed to allow my "calling" come out, to win the headstrong battle I have been resisting all these years. He had said "that's your problem you put your faith into a man instead of God" I was never brought up in a Catholic church, but he made sense. I was raised Evangelist Pentecostal.

I am still not 100% on board with giving my problems to God. I believe we take care of our own problems. I believe we make our destiny. I still believe in some teachings of my youth. But I have grown so much more spiritually since I had left them. I am more in tune with myself. I love the peace I have found spiritually. I believe whole-heartedly in Kharma. Also in do unto others. I have found the balance for myself.

And that's what lead me here... that and my Father (Dad) is ordained Rev. way before I was ever born. But this is what has been calling me, this is where I am suppose to be. I finally gave up trying to fight it off, and I feel so much lighter now that I have came to terms and came to my call.

Thank you for reading. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to do something important with my life and, after talking to another member of your clergy, I decided I could help others without needing to shell out the thousands of dollars for an indoctrination into one specific flavor of belief. I did a search and found I did have what it takes to help others and I do not have to pretend to be someone I am not.

This is the very short version. If you are interested in hearing the long version, I will gladly share.

I wanted to do something important with my life and, after talking to another member of your clergy, I decided I could help others without needing to shell out the thousands of dollars for an indoctrination into one specific flavor of belief. I did a search and found I did have what it takes to help others and I do not have to pretend to be someone I am not.

This is the very short version. If you are interested in hearing the long version, I will gladly share.

Welcome to the forum, and I'm into musicals has the story been choreographed yet :)

My biggest reason was watching Philp Defranco show on Youtube and finding this website to be rather fascinating. I am a ex Christian and I left because of various reason. I find it useful to have such title whenever you need especially in times of disaster or emergency just to help people get by.

• 2 months later...
  • Amulet locked, featured and unpinned this topic