Why I Became Ordained By The Ulc

I became ordained as part of a spiritual 'fine tuning' process in a world where it's so easy to become completely de-tuned by world events and the negative stuff we're bombarded with on a daily basis.

As a child with an RC upbringing in England, I liked going to mass for the most part. I had many a conversation with the crosses and statues along the way and my friends and I would play 'Priests' in the outside toilet complete with curtains for vestments and candles at each side of the toilet for an altar. Some of my mother's brass ornaments were used for added authenticity.

Since then, I've seen the dodgier side of religious institutions, looked fleetingly at other faiths and beliefs, and got to where I am today... quite happy in my new role and hoping that my participation here at least, will lead me to meeting some interesting and decent human beings who, like me, are fine tuning their faith and beliefs too.

So please be patient with some of the stupid questions I'm likely to ask and I look forward to meeting you.

Edited by Rev. Lynch
  • Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I became ordained because I felt I had a calling from God after all I have been through and the drive to help people and youth...I felt this calling for awhile and when other church's came about and said you need this (bachelors and masters you need schooling)I need to be a member and all the blah, blah... I was tired of what man keeps saying what I needed and so then one day as I was reading the Bible I came across what God says about being ordained..as the qualifications. I prayed on it and So then I joined ULC and hopefully to start a church...

God Bless,

Pastor Rob

Edited by Pastor Rob
  • 1 month later...

Because I believe that if you believe in God no matter what you call him or what religion you follow it is right. Because I think all religions are the same they are just different interpretations by people who each believe in their own way of understanding. When you look at all religions they all say "Do what is Right".

What about those who do not believe in God?

Welcome to the forum!!!!

Six said: "I bought a chapel because I loved the building, then figured it could be fixed up for small weddings, then made the connection that I could be one of the people marrying other people.

It also makes me feel more solid in my spirituality.

I have yet to determine where it will ultimately lead me, but I know it's leading somewhere."

I love that one! I bet the chapel is beautiful too! (I love all y'alls, but that one was like God leading six on step by step ya?)

I spent four years accusing myself before accepting ordainment. Not about God. ALWAYS a believer, but I asked myself everytime I thought of the collar "But do I have the guts to stand for the truth? Can I take it?"

Finally, I decided other people needed help I could give and jumped in. It was the first time I felt like I was who I was supposed to be in this world, and doing something I could understand and not botch up all the time.

When I left the first Church I was with I was utterly burned out on serving a bishop because we did, like little heroes - and he got revealed as corrupt and abusive. That one shamed me big time because I thought I was serving two orphanages and a women's shelter and it turned out we were mostly serving him. :angry:

That is when I first read Kirby Hensley's story, and how he, knowing nothing, walked out into the world anyway. I pushed the ULC button. That's it.

That was a long time ago and still goin'.... :thumbu:

• 3 months later...

I was ordained in 2001, after the death of my father. It was in reaction to not feeling part of the church and dogma of my upbringing. I like what the ULchurch stands for and that it allows a couple to be married via an officiant who is receptive to their unique spirituality. This is important to me because when my ex-husband and I were married we had to jump through hoops and kiss priest butt to be allowed to get married in my church since we were of different Christian faiths. It left me with a negative feeling about the marriage process and my church. At any rate, I have never married another couple, but I like that I can if called upon. I take it very seriously. Up until recently, it was my own little secret and I never told anyone I was an ordained minister. But now I want to pursue this venue.

I became ordained this past Sunday 01/02 because my sister wanted me to marry her for her second wedding, then I found out 3 hours after I submitted my information that her new fiancees parents were totally against that idea, so I figured I would forget about it and not do anything with it but this past Tuesday, 02/04, like the way I started thinking about it changed and I started wishing I could be more religious, something I had wanted for a few years now and in the past 3 days I'm really working on being more religious and since I've never really found one single religion that has really perfectly fit what I believe this current path will help me try to realize something closer to what I've been looking for. I'm also hoping that this will help me become a better person than I have been lately and I honestly feel this is the reason for all my suffering so I'm looking to alleviate that. Also one of the things I am very passionate about is helping others, I hope my ordination will better equip me to do that.

Edited by Dark_Knight7096
  • 2 months later...

Why did I become ordained?

I first heard about the ULC when I was homeless, back when it was 'fashionable' in the very late '60s and very early '70s. Remember "Steal This Book"?

I'm no longer homeless, and I'm now married (to a real saint!), and a father and grandfather.

I never stopped thinking about the church, and my place in the universe.

Now that I am jobless, I've had more time to think.

I've become more political, and wanted to be more spiritual.

I became ordained on Feb. 5th this year.

I was Catholic, and my maternal grandfather converted from Judaism. I became disillusioned with the Catholic Church, partly because of all their problems with pedophilia, etc. The main problem I have with Christianity is that. I have a problem with any oppressive behavior, actually. This partly explains why I am becoming more political, and why I am seeking spiritual guidance.

I believe the Church's doctrine is inline with my personal beliefs, as it should be. "Do only that which is right" is more than a doctrine, it's a way of life.

I hope to be helpful, to grow, and to shed light in the darkness.

Help me to be.

• 1 month later...

I am Czarina...the reason I decided to become ordained, for the most part, is that I seem to have the gift for counsel. My spiritual beliefs are rarely spoken of outside a very small circle; but I've been accumulating life experience for a while now ... haven't we all? I also very much like the standpoint of "Do whatever you think is right", that sums it up for me. That's all we need. Humans do have morality worked into their DNA sequencing; I do not feel that we need a list of do's and don'ts for everyone; they know in their hearts and minds what is right. They may not care.

Thank you for having me.

Cz.

As a 10 year veteran of the USAF and a Pagan throughout the entire time, I have seen the religious acceptance change dramatically over the years of service. Now years after my separation from the military I am a homemaker and volunteer for schools and awareness groups, and still a Pagan.

My family is returning to military life as my husband is an officer. I recall a lot of the issues of practicing Wicca or any pagan tradition on base and some of the problems of being in a coven. Sometimes rights afforded to structured organized religious clergy but not so readily to coveners without clergy, such as the sanctity of the confessional, and privacy of "parishioners" as an example. Wiccans feel all are followers are "clergy", and personal responsibility and personal relationships with the divine do not "require" an official clergy, however laws do not always respect the sanctity of coveners privacy and religious resources. I wanted to protect and serve my fellow coveners as well as protect their religious rights and freedoms via government accepted clergy officiants.

Also a full time psychology student, I am working towards my counseling and theology studies to continue to support and aid the pagan community.

When I served our country (USN-1973-1977) Paganism was talked about behind closed hatches and bulkheads. Our Chaplain didn't even recognize the "faith" as he felt it was "old world wives tales bs". Of course, he had no understanding of it. I'm so glad to see things have changed!

I became ordained as part of a spiritual 'fine tuning' process in a world where it's so easy to become completely de-tuned by world events and the negative stuff we're bombarded with on a daily basis.

As a child with an RC upbringing in England, I liked going to mass for the most part. I had many a conversation with the crosses and statues along the way and my friends and I would play 'Priests' in the outside toilet complete with curtains for vestments and candles at each side of the toilet for an altar. Some of my mother's brass ornaments were used for added authenticity.

Since then, I've seen the dodgier side of religious institutions, looked fleetingly at other faiths and beliefs, and got to where I am today... quite happy in my new role and hoping that my participation here at least, will lead me to meeting some interesting and decent human beings who, like me, are fine tuning their faith and beliefs too.

So please be patient with some of the stupid questions I'm likely to ask and I look forward to meeting you.

The only "stupid question" is one that is not asked! But of course, you knew that, right? We look forward to your participation!

Well I became ordained because I felt I had a calling from God after all I have been through and the drive to help people and youth...I felt this calling for awhile and when other church's came about and said you need this (bachelors and masters you need schooling)I need to be a member and all the blah, blah... I was tired of what man keeps saying what I needed and so then one day as I was reading the Bible I came across what God says about being ordained..as the qualifications. I prayed on it and So then I joined ULC and hopefully to start a church...

God Bless,

Pastor Rob

It's especially the "blah, blah, blah" that most of us abhor in most other formalized beliefs. I know there were times in my Lutheran/Evangelical upbringing that almost every word sounded like Charlie Brown's teacher or mother - ya know, the "Wah wa waaah, wa, wa wahh!" stuff. Since growing past all that I still have difficulty in understanding the noise when a few simple words makes things so clear!

Because I believe that if you believe in God no matter what you call him or what religion you follow it is right. Because I think all religions are the same they are just different interpretations by people who each believe in their own way of understanding. When you look at all religions they all say "Do what is Right".

Being a previous Sportster, then Soft Tail rider, I here ya loud and clear bro! We can all Do that which is right if we just put our minds to it. That was when I first was given the nickname "Preacher" (Bar Hoppers 1971-1978, Modesto, CA) as I continuously tried to sway the ruffian view to a more socially accepted view, much to my chagrin, but the nickname stuck anyway. In many ways those 7 years runnin' with the boys helped form my views that are still with me today. After the club was disbanded, by order of HA, well ya know, some grew up, some joined the master club, some left the lifestyle like me, but much like boot camp, what one learns in a MC sticks far longer than other formal teachings! Blessed rides bro.

I was ordained in 2001, after the death of my father. It was in reaction to not feeling part of the church and dogma of my upbringing. I like what the ULchurch stands for and that it allows a couple to be married via an officiant who is receptive to their unique spirituality. This is important to me because when my ex-husband and I were married we had to jump through hoops and kiss priest butt to be allowed to get married in my church since we were of different Christian faiths. It left me with a negative feeling about the marriage process and my church. At any rate, I have never married another couple, but I like that I can if called upon. I take it very seriously. Up until recently, it was my own little secret and I never told anyone I was an ordained minister. But now I want to pursue this venue.

Aren't those "hoops" something? My first marriage was a lengthy process and my wife was required to "convert" from RC to Evangelical, which she attended the classes while I was in 'Nam and I think she was ready to throw in the towel due to it...it never made sense to either of us but at 18 and 19 yrs of age, we were still under much influence of parents. Since my Mom wouldn't "allow" (said she wouldn't attend) us to be married at St. Judes, nor was I willing to convert to RC....it was a terrible time for two kids who were deeply in love with each other...well at least I thought so! Isn't it amazing that Doing that which is Right has no hoops? Blessings be to echo and we hope to hear more from you!

Why did I become ordained?

I first heard about the ULC when I was homeless, back when it was 'fashionable' in the very late '60s and very early '70s. Remember "Steal This Book"?

I'm no longer homeless, and I'm now married (to a real saint!), and a father and grandfather.

I never stopped thinking about the church, and my place in the universe.

Now that I am jobless, I've had more time to think.

I've become more political, and wanted to be more spiritual.

I became ordained on Feb. 5th this year.

I was Catholic, and my maternal grandfather converted from Judaism. I became disillusioned with the Catholic Church, partly because of all their problems with pedophilia, etc. The main problem I have with Christianity is that. I have a problem with any oppressive behavior, actually. This partly explains why I am becoming more political, and why I am seeking spiritual guidance.

I believe the Church's doctrine is inline with my personal beliefs, as it should be. "Do only that which is right" is more than a doctrine, it's a way of life.

I hope to be helpful, to grow, and to shed light in the darkness.

Help me to be.

Knowing our place in the Universe is certainly a wonderful thing. When one is called, they are called, period. It doesn't matter what faith, belief or "brand", our heart screams to be allowed to voice itself. As you follow your chosen path, making it "a way of Life" may you find Peace, Happiness and Comfort in knowing the ULC family is always there for you!

I am Czarina...the reason I decided to become ordained, for the most part, is that I seem to have the gift for counsel. My spiritual beliefs are rarely spoken of outside a very small circle; but I've been accumulating life experience for a while now ... haven't we all? I also very much like the standpoint of "Do whatever you think is right", that sums it up for me. That's all we need. Humans do have morality worked into their DNA sequencing; I do not feel that we need a list of do's and don'ts for everyone; they know in their hearts and minds what is right. They may not care.

Thank you for having me.

Cz.

When I read this Czarina I was thrilled that you noticed your "gift" of having the mindset to counsel. That personal, one on one relationship with others, helping them find their way through this crazy mess of a world is something I fell few mainstream religions focus on...it seems to be more on spreading their 'brand' than to counsel. When my first wife and I started having problems and I approached my family's pastor, he simply threw a book at me and said "Read this and when you've completed the questionnaire in the back, let me know". Ah, say what? I never returned or looked back!

Of course, our relationship did end in divorce, which I was totally against, but had we had a good counselor at that time, I'm certain we could have made peace. I've never regretted the divorce since meeting Kay, but in trying to "Do that which is right" and keep a family together, as instructed by the Bible, I still to this day feel let down by the pastor...frankly the way he handled it was not being of 'counsel', it made me feel as if he was too busy to handle my problems.

~~..*..~~

And for all those above I didn't personally respond to, Blessings of Peace to each and everyone of you for having the moxie and fortitude to follow your path of choosing. IMHO, that's the only way to "Do that which is Right"!!....for YOU.

Blessings of Peace,

I don't follow any "set" religion. I have studied Christianity (was raised as a Christian), Paganism (Wicca, Native American) and several other religions. Right now I consider myself "Interfaith". Several years ago a friends of mine asked me to marry them, I agreed, but had to have them get a quick civil ceremony with a Justice of the Peace and then I "married" them in a Pagan ceremony afterwords. I also was asked by my niece about 6 years ago to conduct the funeral for her mom (my sister) when she "walked on" suddenly. Although writing ceremonies for both occassions was difficult (especially the funeral), I looked back on the experiences now and am actually fond of those memories and experiences. Several months ago, I decided I wanted to become ordained so I could do this some more. Although I could have done the ordination thing immediately then, I decided I wanted to do some personal study first. So now I sent my ordination request in to ULC two days ago - just waiting to hear back soon.

• 4 weeks later...

It was a way to show my commitment to serving God.

My beliefs have changed over the years and the dog chains of dogma were just too short a leash to cover the complex range of experiences that have occurred in my life.

I had to abandon Christian religion, but even after doing so I found that my experiences of faith were still valid.

The ordination itself was something daunting as it was a recognition by me that God isn't confined to our belief systems and the only true way for me to serve is in that free fall zone of faith without any attachment to dogma or ideology or any other crutch of my intellect.

So what I initially took as being only a novelty or amusement, it has instead shown itself to be an eye of the needle with a field of lilies growing on the other side.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been an ordained ULC minister since October, 2001. My husband and I were married by a ULC minister who is a friend of the family.

My husband and I are bikers (motorcycles) and we took a 3 month honeymoon. We would park our RV in an area and use the motorcycle to explore. It was on that trip that we first encountered the Christian Motorcyclists Association and through them I became a missionary. I also wanted to become an ordained minister so when we got home I went to the ULC site and applied for ordination, as well as the ULC courses. I have also studied Christian theology online as well at at our local college. I continue to study today.

I have my own ministry called "Highways." Whatever a person's need is, I come to them. Up to now it has been weddings and baby dedications but if asked to do coming of age ceremonies, immersion baptisms, church services, sick calls or funerals I will perform those services. My husband and I arrive on our motorcycle to where we are called to go.

I have been a Christian since the age of six. I was in a Catholic hospital suffering from pneumonia and the only view I had from my oxygen tent was the crucifix over the door to my room. When my mother came in I asked her what that was, and that was the first time she told me about Jesus and his crucifixion. Something just electrified me. My mom bought me my first bible and read me the stories from it.

My family was not interested in going to church every Sunday so as soon as I was old enough I went with friends or walked to the local church myself. I did this as often as I could as a kid although sometimes family duties such as holidays or birthdays at relatives homes interfered; I remember asking my mother why celebrations always had to be held on Sunday. My cousin saw me praying one time and had no clue what I was doing...she thought I was talking to myself. I still appear to be the only practicing Christian in the family, although my cousin claims she was saved back in the 90's...and maybe she was but she shows no change in behavior and strongly objects when I attempt to answer the questions of her grandchildren. They are really astonished when they see the photos my husband takes of the weddings I have officiated. They do not know what to make of me. I love them all though, and I keep them in my prayers.

Like several other ministers on this forum, I tried many denominations before I just decided to let the relationship be me and Christ and just be Christian. I was even Mormon for a long while. Being a Christian is an ongoing process for me, I still struggle with worldly temptations and I am not perfect, but I am still growing as a Christian.

• 4 weeks later...

I was recently asked by two of my friends to officiate at their wedding. Not being ordained in any way, they brought up the ULC. Once I did some research about the church, I realized this looked like a good place for me. I am spiritual, but have had many problems with traditional organized religion. So after performing their wedding ceremony I hope to use my ordained status for good.

I was recently asked by two of my friends to officiate at their wedding. Not being ordained in any way, they brought up the ULC. Once I did some research about the church, I realized this looked like a good place for me. I am spiritual, but have had many problems with traditional organized religion. So after performing their wedding ceremony I hope to use my ordained status for good.

There are so many ways a person can do so Idaho....may your Path be Enlightened and your Journey safe along whichever endeavor you find suits your needs best!

Blessings of Peace,

There are so many ways a person can do so Idaho....may your Path be Enlightened and your Journey safe along whichever endeavor you find suits your needs best!

Blessings of Peace,

My unusual background and history with adversity created a powerful relationship with me and my spiritual search. The work I do in the community with the misunderstood members of society indicated to me that, having been where they are now, and knowing the many times I myself cried out for just one person to hear my story, compelled me to advocate for them. I saw my own dilemmas in life directly related to a spiritual bankruptcy and I thought the same may be true for others in similar life circumstances. Being ordained simply helped me to commit more strongly to the mission and vision of ministering to those who felt helpless, hopeless, and hapless, while speaking at conferences about stigma and stereotypes which serve no good purpose but to marginalize others and diminish their spirits.

My success in this work was directly related to my willingness to listen to the stories of the oppressed, the homeless, mentally ill, alcoholic/addict, and prostitutes as well as becoming politically reactivated for human rights and equality. I found a very integrated path that worked for me and I believed it could work for others. Today I am disabled, semi-retired, but still do speaking engagements, perform weddings, funerals, baptisms and teach that there are many paths to resurrecting ourselves from our old selves. Every one of us has a story!And I want to be able to listen to each one.

I belong to this forum as well as the monastery. When I see the word "minister" bantered around on these sites I often wonder who these "ministers" are ministering to. A church ministers to its congregation, a witch to their coven and prospective candidates, a Medicine person/Shaman to the members of their tribe,a doctor ministers to his patients, a social worker ministers to her clients, even a plumber ministers to his customer's needs. But in many cases I'm really not sure who some of the ministers on all these sites are ministering to. I like to come here and listen to the various perspectives so I can better understand the diversity of life.

I think the myriad cultures, traditions, philosophies and faiths are the most beautiful things on our planet....until they are used to hurt others physically, mentally, emotionally, or spiritually. We see way too much of that in our world today! At that point I become intolerant of those who are intolerant.....Eh, what can I say? :unsure: I'm human too! :bag: And that is my biggest defect! :lol: .......God's Peace......To`na Wanagi

Well, That is a REALLY good question. I started of much like many others who have posted. I am always the one friends come to for honest non judgemental advise, comsoling, comforting etc... So goes the last 30 years or so. I studied, lightly, many religious beliefs, dabbling in a few, reading more on others during that time. Now to recently, when I got Ordained. My older brother of 11 years is getting married, for the 3rd time, in 6 months and wanted a low key, personal wedding. He asked me to participate in the wedding, I thought like being his best man or something, NO to officiate IT! Well, since I was not ordained at anything, but thrilled at the honor, I came here. AND the story really starts there. This has brought out some very interesting

times for me indeed and I hope it continues. And, by the way I will still have the pleasure of Officiating my bro's wedding in a few months too.

• Amulet locked, featured and unpinned this topic