Why I Became Ordained By The Ulc

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This topic is for people who want to share why they've become an ordained minister. (Linked from the October 2005 ULC Online Newsletter)

We can start here. Maybe we'll learn a little something about each other that was previously unknown.

Hi, everyone... new here...

I guess I'll start with this post.

Mainly, I got ordained by the U.L.C. because it was the best means to my end. I wanted to make a change in society and culture, for the benefit of all mankind. I figured I could do this best by preaching the Gospel, and fulfilling the ministry of Christ. Of course, nobody will listen to just some guy; but I didn't want to have to sit through a bunch of business classes for recognition of a calling from God, by man. If I need man's recognition to get people to listen to me, I'd like it to be as easy to get as possible. The ULC offers free, completely legally binding ordination, for life. I just couldn't pass up that opportunity.

I might not agree with some things the ULC mainly accepts, but our goals are the same: to do only that which is right in the eyes of the Lord, as Moses says in Deuteronomy, and Joshua says in his book.

Until next time...

~D~

• 1 month later...

I am a card carrying Jewess by choice with an interesting long walk to get to this point (like so many of us). - - - - I was raised as an ordained minister's daughter in a very well known pentecostal denomination but I was never really comfortable as I grew in my teen years. I was always getting in trouble for raising interesting questions like why Sunday instead of the 7th day for worship? Why easter and not Passover? I had a profound curiosity and would figure out ways to attend other churches and other faiths' worship. Once I left my father's home and married a lutheran, I free to explore things more seriously. My then husband and I continued to raise our children as lutherans but, while he was in the Navy and I was home with two little boys, I began an intense Bible study through the denom in which I was raised. There were many things I could not personally reconcile between what I was taught and what Scripture said. I kept coming back to the physical life of "Jesus." Oddly, it was a NT verse that turn my life upside down and into the right direction as I perceived it. The writer, in referring to "Jesus," wrote, "He was an example and we are to walk in his steps." (1 Peter 2:21) MMMmmmmm...that short sentence denotes a physical action and it caused me to look at the typical life of a Jew. I began studying any books about Judaism that I could get my hands on.

Gradually, I began incorporating Jewish practice into my life. First came candlelighting on Friday nights. I did not know the blessings but my heart was to set the day apart from the rest of the week. We still worshipped on the first day of the week but I truly worked to center the 7th around family and rest...a practice my sons have continued in their own homes now. Our lutheran church held a Passover seder and I attended...from then on I kept Passover every year to the best of my ability. - - - While the boys were still small, I was divorced. Because of my divorced state, my childhood denom would not allow my full participation in activities even though I completed training as a Sunday School superintendent. I was crushed because I needed to exercise Faith more than ever. I tried out different first day worshipping churches but my soul longed for more. When the boys were teens, I graduated from Nursing school and moved 450 miles from my hometown. I found a congregation of the denom I had been attending at home...but something just didn't seem to fit though I could not put my finger on it. Through a friend, I began attending the SDA church. Honestly, I felt so at ease the moment I walked in the door on a 7th day morning. I remained there enjoying myself. Then was invited to be a deaconess at one of the smaller congregations. By this time, I had incorporated observance of Shavuot and Tabernacles as much as I understood the Jewish calendar. - - - Things were ok until the preacher began saying some really bad things about Jews from the pulpit! I was appalled...and no one in the congregation except a few would stand with me on addressing the impropriety and utter hate that spewed...I warned not to curse Abraham's descendents. - - - One afternoon, while driving and contemplating where to go, I saw a little grey house on which there was a white Star of David in this little town! I was shocked! The closest Reform or Conservative Jewish congregation was over 50 miles. Turned out the congregation was what may be termed "messianic" but they were a lot different than mainstream messianics. So I left the SDA and went there. Oddly (or not so oddly) other families followed me there from the SDA...families with names like Zimmerman, Wineman, Painter, and Kohn. - - - While there, I did some Parish/Congregational Nursing and was "ordained" by a local community body so that I could meet the spiritual needs of others. I also began having some health issues...and doctors asked if I was middle eastern...no, just Texan, I replied. Strangely, while traveling the US, I was often asked if I was Egyptian or Near Eastern. Ok, that was enough to get DNA testing and...I matched Mizrachi and Sefardic Jews in Spain, Northern Morocco, Iran, Iraq. One person I matched even lived on our East Coast...and she had converted to Judaism 20 years prior when she was marrying a Jew. - - - Is there truth to the prophecy that Israel who was scattered would be regathered? I lost sleep contemplating the events that had occurred in my life over years. - - - - After the initial shock, I began investigating more about my family. Indeed, my father's family were primarily Scots and Native Americans. But my mother's family was different. I found out that we were called Black Dutch and Black Irish...going back, I found a treasure drove of Hebrew names...even found that a direct ancestor named Israel had traveled to Surinam and Barbados to help Lord Willoughby establish trade routes. The evidence was breathtaking! - - - - - I moved from the small town to Dallas Texas to take my place in the larger active Jewish community. I was offered the chance to affiliate with the community through a Certificate of Return ( Soloveitchik) but I decided to go Jewish full conversion so there is no doubt in anyone's mind. - - -I am here at the ULC because I of my desire to continue my work in doing funerals for those who have no one. In Orthodox or Traditional Judaism, women are not ordained as rabbis...and I prefer not to be a Rabbi; however, some of the cemetaries require "ordination." I prefer to be called a "Morit" which means "teacher." The ULC allows me the opportunity to act as a Daughter of Avraham and tend to the needs of Avraham's descendents. I do not wear a tallit (fringes)...I simply cover my head and go about the work to be done. - - - and that is why I am here.

So who is God to me? What is my faith?

My faith is COSMOS. ....

So in closing, the Universal Church of COSMOS is just that- in celebration of the universal creations God has made. For us and for others. We have no special books of scripture, because the Holy Bible, new and old testaments, is sufficent. There is one God. One Jesus. One Holy Ghost. They are all one but they are all still the same. The Father, the Son and the Spirit.

You may loose your religion. I have. But I never lost God, and He has never lost me.

Maybe another day I will write more on this. I certainly look forward to it.

Respectfully,

Rev. C. Kem

Funny how this poster changes Universal LIfe "Church" to "Cosmos." Being of the Hebrew faith, I have wondered why it is Universal Life Church and not now Universal Life Congregations.

Good day, everyone!

I am brand new to the forums, and just received the "official" email stating that I have been recorded in the church records today. I must admit that I have never in a million years had ever thought that I would actually become ordained. Frankly, I am Jewish (I refer to it as "by pride and not faith," meaning that I am proud of my heritage but I am essentially agnostic in belief).....

Stephen

Shalom, Stephen...nice to meet you

Yael

Funny how this poster changes Universal LIfe "Church" to "Cosmos." Being of the Hebrew faith, I have wondered why it is Universal Life Church and not now Universal Life Congregations.

my guess,because that's the name kirby hensley gave the church when he started it.and his philosophy was anyone who wanted ordained should be,regardless of faith,belief,philosophy,or religion.if he were alive today,there are some things that would disappoint him(at best),but overall,i think he would be pleased.

my guess,because that's the name kirby hensley gave the church when he started it.and his philosophy was anyone who wanted ordained should be,regardless of faith,belief,philosophy,or religion.if he were alive today,there are some things that would disappoint him(at best),but overall,i think he would be pleased.

Yes, he name it Universal Life Church but I was wondering why someone has not thought of changing the "Church" word to something like "Congregations" in order for it to be all inclusive...that's all.

Edited by Yael - HaMorit
This topic is for people who want to share why they've become an ordained minister. (Linked from the October 2005 ULC Online Newsletter)

We can start here. Maybe we'll learn a little something about each other that was previously unknown.

I became Ordained by the ULC because this was the church I knew very well in my younger age. 22 years ago my husband and I were married by a good friend and Reverend of the ULC. I have wondered to other churches of different religions and never felt I belonged their. My belief system was a bit different. I found my comfort here. Because no matter what faith you are, We Are One! I became Ordained to help others. Thanks for being hear, Rev. Julie

I became Ordained by the ULC because this was the church I knew very well in my younger age. 22 years ago my husband and I were married by a good friend and Reverend of the ULC. I have wondered to other churches of different religions and never felt I belonged their. My belief system was a bit different. I found my comfort here. Because no matter what faith you are, We Are One! I became Ordained to help others. Thanks for being hear, Rev. Julie

Now, this is a cool story and I would like to hear more! So many wonder if the marriages they have performed will "stock." You story might be a word of encouragement.

Truly inspirational. I commend you.

• 1 month later...

Well I originally got ordained just to get ordained, nothing noble since I was still exploring religion and reality.

Lately since I'm working on my own spiritual path what better place to talk about it as I work in the basics, that and since I can get many special titles to represent this it makes it a nice church. Adter al the founder of a religious path is often the Prophet for it so I recently ordered that title.

• 2 weeks later...

I became ordained for a few reasons. Most were because of my own beliefs and faith. I am about to turn thirty-five. I use to sit patiently in the nursing home while my parents sat and talked with my great grandparents. I would sit on the bed and just listen to the conversations they would have. While I was there, I use to hear my great grandmother tell me that I would make a good minister. I heard this from the early age of five or six. Quite an interesting view-point for being that young, right?

I always seemed to hear the spirit calling to me, but I feared that I was not who God wanted as a minister. I went through many ordeals and

trials and tribulations
, as the old saying goes. I have consistantly battled with a bi-polar disorder since I was about nineteen. This only added to my own fears about being good enough.

About ten years ago, a person that I had worked with for a short time offered his help and advice. I appreciated it, but was uncertain about it. Then a year or so later, I got in touch with him and it wasn't easy to do at first. He was more than willing to work with me and in a short time, we became very good friends. He should me certain aspects of religion, beliefs, and our own spirituality that I was not able to see for myself because of my personal upbringings in the church. He had steered me towards religious books outside my own belief system and my eyes were opened again. I realized that my beliefs were always of an open mind and because of being brought up in a singular religious belief system, those same thoughts about religion had been skewed.

After realizing this, my mind went back to the time of being five or six years old and sitting with my parents and great grandparents and being told that I would make a good minister. I took that advice literally and applied it by being ordained. Thank you ULC. I have a lot to learn, but I also have an open heart and mind. My spirit is willing to go were God needs me to be.

I have been blessed and I guess in a way you might even call it a curse. Because while being able to minister to others as they need me, I also have the obligation to live up to those much higher standards and not to offend or hurt anyone. I must truly live by the Golden Rule. I will pray for this and for all those that minister and are ordained.

Blessing and Peace to all.

I became ordained after many years of studying different religons on my own. I have been on a quest to find a path that I fit in with and that resonates within me.

I was raised as a southern baptist but after having a traumatic experience at age 13 in which the community and many members of my family turned against me, I found not only a change in me but a change in the way I percieved the community and escpecially the "christians". I found these so called christians to be welll.... lets just say, not so christian. I know that they do not represent all christians but at that time it was what I saw and it made me rethink everything I had known about religon and what I expected of it and from it.

I stopped going to church, by my choice, even though my grandfather always blamed my parents for this, he was a big part of the reason I stopped going after I saw his actions and for time, he wanted nothing to do with me, which was fine by me. Later we reconciled, so dont worry about that. After the age of 13, my parents let me begin making my own decisions on many things and it sounds crazy, but it worked very well for me.

I began looking at different aspects of religon, first within christianity, and later outside of it. I spent much time looking into each religon, learning about it, and figuring out what worked for me. I have gained a whole lot of respect for other religons and cultures and really enjoy learning and expeiencing new religons. My parents were very supportive of my wanting to go to different churches and temples in my areas and they never cared what book I read so I was lucky not to have judgement in that area.

So far I have most identified with Wicca, though I am still learning that path and dont consider myself profiecient enough in it yet.

I wanted to be ordained for many many reasons, mostly for personal reasons rather than to conduct ceremonies but also because I am a military spouse, we are constantly surronded by different faiths, religions, cultures, and people. I feel that having the credtials from a church who welcome all fits better for our type of community no matter where in the world we are. And no, it may not be accepted by a different country, but people can still feel comfortable with me knowing that I have education, training, and backing of some sort. I am usually the person people come to for advice and I feel this allows me to advance that.

I also want to have a place in the world that when i fully understand all my beliefs I can come and be accepted. I feel that all religons have value and that just because you dont believe as another does, that doesnt make them wrong, only different. There is much I dont agree with, but i understand. I also dont try to "preach" religon, only tell my beliefs, views and knowledge.

Some people who know that I am ordained think it is a joke, that it is not real or serious. Others find it interesting. I treat this with all seriousness and right now i dont know where it is going, if I will end up doing weddings and such. Right now, I just want to learn and see where this road leads.

Thanks for reading all this.

May your road be filled with peace and happiness.

• 2 weeks later...

:D

I became ordained because I have a calling from God on my life for one. I have been to school for ministry, A few certificates but everytime I got close to recieving my ordination I was pushed back by religian knowing that my call was spiritual. I thank God for ULC! I will be starting a church soon. Womens ministry in July I'm So Excited!

Thank You Pastor Kevin Andrews

Rev. Felicia

Well, I have been wondering from Religion to Religion: Judaism, Christianity, Buddhism... ...and in one dream one night it became all mixed up and I got so many little enlightenments, I decided I had to spread the word. So I founded a church, without having a church or anything. I found a few followers and called myself Emissary Bishop, sending Preachings weekly per email on Wednesday (I wanted to differ from traditional Sunday mass). But not even Turkmenistan recognized my clerical status.

Then I watched the movie Trekkies (or was it Trekkies 2?) and someone said he was Archbishop at the ULC. He ment the ULC monastery, but I found the ULC better, especially because you really have a human deciding upon your ordination and it just looked more inviting.

So, here I am... :D

I became Ordained because my Husband sings and plays the guitar and I sing and minister. When ever we went to a church where we were not known, we were hardly recongnised until they heard us. Then they loved us. Since I got Ordained,we receive much more respect and we are often wanted to be heard as soon as they meet us. Our message or singing isn't any different, I just happened to be licensed now, and because of it we receive recognishion.

Getting the Lords word out is our goal. Thank you ULC. Janette

I dont remember the day I was ordained. I was quite a bit younger than I am now, and did it because I thought it kinda funny that an atheist could be a minister. Over time, however, I've come to learn that religion has quite a bit to offer, whether or not you subscribe to a god or gods.

As an atheist, I have a hard time justifying preaching, but I try to live by example. I'm not the best example, by any means, but I try to be a good one. I've only performed one wedding, but I'd like to do more. Options for weddings seem so limited and I'd like to offer some alternative options. The wedding I performed, for example, was largely secular with a spiritual, but non-religious, twist. It was very nice.

Anyway, I currently find myself wishing there was more I could do as a minister, but having no direction, I've found myself here. :)

• Amulet locked, featured and unpinned this topic