Why I Became Ordained By The Ulc

I was raised catholic, I mean the whole 9 yards. I went to catholic school, taught by Irish Nuns for 11 1/2 years. When my Dad was transfered I got my fist taste of public school for the last 1 and a half of my schooling. That being said, I really love the church and my faith. The catholic church was literaly the first church founded by none othe then our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ himself. It's all in the Holy Bible. Now the church has changed an awful lot since the 1960's, when I was a kid I loved being on the Alter serving God as an Alter boy, thankfully my church had a good man as our Priest (there's only a small percentage of evil ones believe it or not, but that's another discussion). Up until I started 9th grade,I thought I was being called to the priesthood. Then something felt different when I walked into the church. The holiness that I felt inside God's house started to fade, the church leaders in my opinion became to casual. The pure reverence being shown to the Lord in his house was starting to fade away.

But here's the kicker for me. After I graduated, I seved in the Navy, when I got out I thought I feel in love I was young and dumb and got married, blind to the fact that I was making the biggest mistake in my short life. The marriage did not work out and we divorced. Now all those years with the Nuns learning about Jesus's ministry I can't understand how his church can stand there and tell me I was not " welcome " at the Lord's table and celebrate the Holy Eucharist. I had to ask myself, Is that what Jesus would do because of a stupid human mistake, I believe he would not. In fact the scriptures tell us over and over that he would come up to me and probably grab my hand and walk me up to his Alter and break bread with me. Anyway, I do still love the church but I feel just as strongly that I have indeed answered my call to the priesthood and am serving God Almighty and his Son just as I envisioned as a boy!!

With all that is good,

Rev. Dan

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My reasons for becoming ordained were many - over my entire life I struggled with accepting the "rigidity" of "organized religion"; all the sin and no joy in life type of thing. The God I chose to believe in wanted me to be happy; wanted me to prosper; and wanted me to feel HIS love; not wrath if I did such a thing such as make a mistake as a human being.

Then, a life changing EVENT happened to me. I was the victim of a violent attack by a dog. That EVENT changed my life. My physical body failed me; I put my faith in surgeons and doctors; but yet, my body would not heal. I became bitter; full of anger and began to think of ways to hurt myself. My life began to spiral out of control.

Because my ability to walk was limited; I came to rely upon a cane. It was ugly and it was hurtful. I was the subject of ridicule; and scorn. I was treated as less because I was unable to walk on my own. I began to think of all the doors previously opened in my life had become closed.

In August of 2008, I went to an amazing place; an amazing place of healing, peace and love. I learned there that doors were not closed to me because I was disabled; I only needed to learn a different way to open them. I began to think about the rest of the doors in my life; especially the doors of my heart that I had closed.

I looked deep within myself; I always believed in God; I lost my way on the path, however. One night, I opened up the Bible; and I recalled someone once telling me what the Bible meant; Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth - I decided that moment that I would put myself in Gods hands. I opened the Bible to a random page; and decided to read whatever I landed upon.

Because my spirituality is my own; and my beliefs are my own; I choose not to share what I read; but it made sense to me. HE had led me to what I needed to read. I began to do that on a daily basis; just open the Bible and read whatever HE led me to.

I wanted to find a Church that allowed me the freedom to maintain my own belief system; without compromising what I believe in; to be able to be happy without being filled with sin. ULC was what I found. I signed up to be ordained that night.

Rev. Christine Elkins

Because...

-I tend to ask questions that cause people, who are unaccustomed to thinking, into possibly considering the validity of belief systems that are in stark contrast to their accepted beliefs

-narrow-minded people sometimes require the validation that ordination carries with it

-Laws and legal recognition

-I am free to define, refine and form my own system of beliefs; therefore, who better than me to preach my own word

In essence the same basic reasons as most members, I'm sure. In America Freedom of Religion still is a right entitled to all (think closely about that for a few minutes the next time you cut me for my belief, ok?).

My particular faith is Cosmos and "we" follow the old and new testaments of the Holy Bible. As simple as it really is, people that disagree with "our" faith can make complicated, I assure you.

I wanted to find a Church that allowed me the freedom to maintain my own belief system; without compromising what I believe in; to be able to be happy without being filled with sin. ULC was what I found. I signed up to be ordained that night.

The problems with mainstream churches, IMHO, are that they expect you believe their belief system alone, and that they expect you to go through certain conditions to get the position (i.e. get trained to do things their way.)

• 2 weeks later...

My beliefs are, at their core, christian.

But as I learned more about the history of many of the tenents of christianity I began to question them.

I made the mistake of expressing these questions to others and they often simply laughed off my questions or simply said that these were improper questions to ask. So I chose to step away from the mainstream churches and walk my own path.

Now I believe the answers have been coming much more easily and without obstruction.

Who knows, maybe someone else would agree with my point of view?

Why I Became Ordained By The Ulc?

Since I was 13 years old I have wanted to be a minister. I have been in and out of many different churches since then and found that my faith was actually being damaged by the many different aspects of those officiating many of those churches.

For the most part preachers would teach from their own opinion and not focus on the word of God in its literal meaning.

I had spent a lot of time in churches that practiced healing, the kind where they lay their hands on people and claim to heal cancer and all sorts of diseases. The problem I saw was that these people that were getting healed were not regular members of the church and you never saw those people after the services where their afflictions were taken away by God, supposedly. They would claim to have travelled many miles and to have been led by God to the place where they were healed. It was immediately after these "Miracle Ralley's" where large sums of money would be asked for and it just seemed so phony to me.

I do believe that God can heal diseases, that I have never questioned. However, what I did question was the authenticity of these churches where this type of service was practiced.

I have inquired about becoming ordained to which I was sent down the typical path of learning to be what I considered to be training in how to be a salesman for God.

To me, it isn't and shouldn't be about money. I understand that a church is sustained in large part by those in the congregation supporting the church financially, you know, the tithing aspect. Everyone should tithe, I have no issue with that. What I do have issue with is beating people over the head to give beyond their means.

The concept of "paying for your salvation" troubles me greatly.

I asked myself many times over the years, Why is it that God has taken a back seat to profitability?

Shouldn't faith not be based on money but rather the spirit of God?

For instance, who ordained Jesus?

It wasn't man, it wasn't a human system that ordained him. he wasn't forced to jump through hoops and spend a load of money learning a system that was run by men who basically teach you to go from church to church being little more than a well educated fund raiser for God.

Recently I had hit a brick wall and started to question if there was even a God at all. I questioned that inside me that has led me to live the way I was, always holding firm that I was a believer and based many decisions on my faith in God.

I started to wonder that maybe I was wrong and might be missing out on many joys that I could expereience if I weren't a man of faith.

Then one night I was surfing the web and did a search on how to become ordained, and I found the ULC website.

I read through and began to realize that everything I had saught after for years was right here. Now, I can't say that I agree with many of the things I see going on here because they simply don't follow what I have lived my life for or how I see a proper relationship with God to be, but who am I to judge anothers faith system?

I would be no better than those I have learned to avoid if I were to try and force MY views and beliefs on another.

I believe what I believe and the great thing about the ULC is that it is founded on that same exact system.

I don't want people judging me because I don't share their beliefs and I won't judge others for theirs.

I don't want others interfering with my right to worship however I see fit and I won't interfere with those who differ in their faith either.

I will share my opinion and I will welcome opinions of others in healthy discussion. I will not engage in arguments about faith though, that's unproductive at best.

As far as the so called "Establishment" not recognizing a ULC minister as being truly ordained I will simply ask them this question, "Who ordained Jesus Christ, the man by which your entire ministry is founded on?"

They'll claim it was God, but then deny that Jesus ordained me as well as he ordained them.

It isn't the school that makes them ordained, it's is the spirit that does.

Isn't that what Rev. Kirby founded the ULC on?

I would have loved to have met Rev. Kirby, he is an inspiration to all faiths and the architect of the answer I spent half my life seeking.

Why I Became Ordained By The Ulc?

Since I was 13 years old I have wanted to be a minister. I have been in and out of many different churches since then and found that my faith was actually being damaged by the many different aspects of those officiating many of those churches.

For the most part preachers would teach from their own opinion and not focus on the word of God in its literal meaning.

I had spent a lot of time in churches that practiced healing, the kind where they lay their hands on people and claim to heal cancer and all sorts of diseases. The problem I saw was that these people that were getting healed were not regular members of the church and you never saw those people after the services where their afflictions were taken away by God, supposedly. They would claim to have travelled many miles and to have been led by God to the place where they were healed. It was immediately after these "Miracle Ralley's" where large sums of money would be asked for and it just seemed so phony to me.

I do believe that God can heal diseases, that I have never questioned. However, what I did question was the authenticity of these churches where this type of service was practiced.

I have inquired about becoming ordained to which I was sent down the typical path of learning to be what I considered to be training in how to be a salesman for God.

To me, it isn't and shouldn't be about money. I understand that a church is sustained in large part by those in the congregation supporting the church financially, you know, the tithing aspect. Everyone should tithe, I have no issue with that. What I do have issue with is beating people over the head to give beyond their means.

The concept of "paying for your salvation" troubles me greatly.

I asked myself many times over the years, Why is it that God has taken a back seat to profitability?

Shouldn't faith not be based on money but rather the spirit of God?

For instance, who ordained Jesus?

It wasn't man, it wasn't a human system that ordained him. he wasn't forced to jump through hoops and spend a load of money learning a system that was run by men who basically teach you to go from church to church being little more than a well educated fund raiser for God.

Recently I had hit a brick wall and started to question if there was even a God at all. I questioned that inside me that has led me to live the way I was, always holding firm that I was a believer and based many decisions on my faith in God.

I started to wonder that maybe I was wrong and might be missing out on many joys that I could expereience if I weren't a man of faith.

Then one night I was surfing the web and did a search on how to become ordained, and I found the ULC website.

I read through and began to realize that everything I had saught after for years was right here. Now, I can't say that I agree with many of the things I see going on here because they simply don't follow what I have lived my life for or how I see a proper relationship with God to be, but who am I to judge anothers faith system?

I would be no better than those I have learned to avoid if I were to try and force MY views and beliefs on another.

I believe what I believe and the great thing about the ULC is that it is founded on that same exact system.

I don't want people judging me because I don't share their beliefs and I won't judge others for theirs.

I don't want others interfering with my right to worship however I see fit and I won't interfere with those who differ in their faith either.

I will share my opinion and I will welcome opinions of others in healthy discussion. I will not engage in arguments about faith though, that's unproductive at best.

As far as the so called "Establishment" not recognizing a ULC minister as being truly ordained I will simply ask them this question, "Who ordained Jesus Christ, the man by which your entire ministry is founded on?"

They'll claim it was God, but then deny that Jesus ordained me as well as he ordained them.

It isn't the school that makes them ordained, it's is the spirit that does.

Isn't that what Rev. Kirby founded the ULC on?

I would have loved to have met Rev. Kirby, he is an inspiration to all faiths and the architect of the answer I spent half my life seeking.

Very well said, things like this are one of the reasons for which I became ordained by the ULC :thumbu:

I am very happy to be newly ordained. I have always been very spiritual, and for the past couple of years, I have felt especially called to serve in pet ministry. Becoming ordained in this church is the first step.

When one of my dog's died ten years ago, I was devastated. He had been a loyal companion who had taught me alot and was my constant companion. When he died, there was nothing to do to memorialize the occasion. I felt empty. I would like to make this extremely difficult experience easier and more satisfying for others by providing some closure as well as counseling. The death of a pet is too important to ignore. Thanks for "listening".

Sandra

I became a Ordained Minister, so I can have the Authority to Help those in need, being a Large Youth Influence in California, and North Germany, and with my passion for helping others with life and being happier on a day to day bases and my maturity level for religion and happiness, I felt it was necessary to make it so, So people can see I am Ordained and have a bigger push to come and talk with me, I want to help today's youth get out of the drugs and sadness, they should be happy and I have the charisma to make it so, =].

My Social Historian Teacher was my biggest influence in life, he was the final push to do this, also though out the past couple years I have hit rock bottom with suicide but looking back and seeing how far I have come from that and seeing how I was able to take hold of life and make the best, I know I can help others, I have when ever they have given me a chance to, but now I want to take it farther life with out helping other is nothing, we got to help each other :]

My beliefs are, at their core, christian.

But as I learned more about the history of many of the tenents of christianity I began to question them.

I made the mistake of expressing these questions to others and they often simply laughed off my questions or simply said that these were improper questions to ask. So I chose to step away from the mainstream churches and walk my own path.

Now I believe the answers have been coming much more easily and without obstruction.

Who knows, maybe someone else would agree with my point of view?

At least one person can relate to your point of view -- me.

In my journey, I found myself more and more distanced from the Church as I became closer and closer to the Almighty.

I finally realized - the Almighty is too powerful and too great to only have a single path. I left the Church to become ordained in the ULC. Most of my friends treat me more seriously as a minister now than before because they realize that my spiritual life is more than a part-time Sunday job. I have ministered to those whose regular clergy has literally left them abandoned. I don't let myself get clogged in dogma. The examples we are given of Jesus teaching usually tell of those gathering around him and just plain talking. I honestly get the impression that if Jesus walked amongst us in human form today, he would be shocked that many followers are so caught up on one day a week for about an hour, that they forget the lesson the rest of the week.

It isn't easy living spiritually in a secular world, but I make time to celebrate the Almighty in the everything -- even things unpleasant have a message. I can choose to allow a customer to anger me with their tone, or celebrate that I have hearing (another miracle, but more on that at another time), and the ability to offer assistance. Even if the customer doesn't allow me to assist, I can walk away saying I did what I could.

I try to face life with a thankful attitude. In all things, I am blessed. I simply need to take the time to say thank you. If I ever think I'm not blessed, there are plenty of wake up calls out there: a childrens' hospital burn unit or cancer ward. Children who have been abused, etc. I have/had wonderful parents, a wonderful upbringing... now I'd be lying if I said it was easy. It certainly wasn't and far from it for my parents who struggled more than they would let us know. But there was always a hot meal and a house full of love. There was always room for one more at our table and we always volunteered our time and shared our resources with those who had even less.

I learned at a very early age the first gift you can give someone is caring. Genuinely care about others. That is more valuable than anything material. The best gifts I have been given in life are the people who I can look back on and say "they cared enough to help shape my life."

As a child I promised God that I would return the favors given me. This is before the saying "pay it forward" was made famous. As long as I live, I want to be a model of the gifts I have been given. To me, anything less would be to insult the Almighty who has provided so much to me. I was made capable of this ministry for a reason. It is the ultimate gift that I can be ordained, and I will never forget a saint named Kirby Hensley who founded a church for all walks of life, and a wonderful man named Kevin who ordained me when I asked.

I am long-winded, but there is so much more to the story. Welcome to our family!

• 2 weeks later...

I was raised in the LDS religion by very open minded parents. Both of which influenced me greatly. From an early age I have always questioned why things “just are the way they are.” I explored many faiths, texts, and philosophies. After college I decided to become a carpenter and a handyman. On my journey to become closer to the essence of mankind through my work and relations, I met a kindred soul. Though we may not use the same words or demonstrate our beliefs in the same way, we are spiritual kin. In our many discussions, he shared with me his decision to become ordained with the ULC. I have to admit that I had forgotten about it but it struck me as very important some months later. It was a profound realization that this information was meant for me. After meditating on it for several days I decided to walk the same path.

Hello! :D I chose to become ordained by the ULC, because I have been operating in the capacity of offering advice on spiritual and metaphysical matters for a while now, so it seemed only logical, to empower myself further, by becoming ordained. It's my desire, to reach out to members of the spiritual community, who may have been overlooked by more conservative ministers. Jesus reached out to everyone, and excluded no-one. Indeed, I firmly believe that anyone who lives an honest life, honoring the principle of "do that which is right," is worthy of God's regard. I am currently in the process of starting an online-based ministry, and I am ordering more support materials from the ULC bookstore, soon. This is all quite a thrill for me, because I'm in it mainly for the sake of teaching and dignifying others with the information and respect they deserve.

That's key, isn't it? Those who are in the ministry for the sheer enjoyment of it, obviously have the most staying power.

I see that the ULC attracts aspiring ministers from all walks of life, and I am proud to be a part of it all. Thanks for the warm welcome. I appreciate this opportunity to minister to others.

Hello! :D I chose to become ordained by the ULC, because I have been operating in the capacity of offering advice on spiritual and metaphysical matters for a while now, so it seemed only logical, to empower myself further, by becoming ordained. It's my desire, to reach out to members of the spiritual community, who may have been overlooked by more conservative ministers. Jesus reached out to everyone, and excluded no-one. Indeed, I firmly believe that anyone who lives an honest life, honoring the principle of "do that which is right," is worthy of God's regard. I am currently in the process of starting an online-based ministry, and I am ordering more support materials from the ULC bookstore, soon. This is all quite a thrill for me, because I'm in it mainly for the sake of teaching and dignifying others with the information and respect they deserve.

That's key, isn't it? Those who are in the ministry for the sheer enjoyment of it, obviously have the most staying power.

I see that the ULC attracts aspiring ministers from all walks of life, and I am proud to be a part of it all. Thanks for the warm welcome. I appreciate this opportunity to minister to others.

All the best.

• 2 weeks later...

Many steps in my life brought me here.

Born and raised Catholic, I married at the age of 20 thinking it would be forever. Like many before me, it didn't go as planned, and we divorced six years later. We tried once more, getting remarried by a Circuit Court Clerk (still married in the eyes of the Lord, we decided), but it only took us another couple of years to realize how far apart we'd grown.

In that time I drifted away from Catholicism in general. I found someone new whom I love dearly, and marrying within the Catholic church again was impossible, so that was the final nail in that coffin. Combine that with the bride-to-be being pagan and church-phobic, and we had to come up with a new answer.

I found out that a mutual friend was ordained thru ULC, and he agreed to perform our ceremony. We were his first marriage. He was incredibily thorough in covering every base with us, helping us plan a ceremony that incorporated scripture, a unity candle and handfasting. Even the most staunch Christians in our families admitted that it was one of the most beautiful ceremonies they've ever witnessed.

Inspired by our friend, I decided to research ULC for myself. While I can't truly say I "felt a calling", I did see many aspects of being a minister that I already do in my life, and the thought of being there for people like our friend was for us definitely inspired me to give it a try.

So here I am, at the beginning of my own journey, just seeing where it takes me. :cool:

• 1 month later...

I became ordained for one reason and one reason only. I love God with all my heart and soul! He has done SO much for me throughout my life and I wanted to share with others how wonderful He and His undying love for us is, and what He can do for everyone, if they just BELIEVE in Him fully, 100%, without a doubt. My decision to become ordained as a minister in the Church is by far the best decision I have ever made in my life!

To Him I give all the Glory, forever!

Most Sincerely,

Reverend F. Villa

• Amulet locked, featured and unpinned this topic