Why I Became Ordained By The Ulc

I became a minister because while I love my husband, my child, and my in-laws, I also wish to show others that it is what's inside that really matters. You can't change others overnight, but you can show them what a good person is by being one yourself.

Rev. Holly Emmert

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Three years ago my wife and I lost a teen aged son-he was beaten up and left for dead. During my grieving process, I met a gentleman that had began a outreach ministry. At this time of my life I was the President of a district football league and my son had played for league for several years. The Minister was a Football Referee and after a day of football we began to talk. Some how the conversation turned to the death of my son and the anger and emptiness that I was feeling. Normally, I don't show my emotions in front of others, let alone strangers, but tears were streaming down my face. This man took my hands in his and prayed to our Lord and Saviour and lifted me up. I always felt that I was strong in my religion, but such an overwhelming peace came over my being that I have never felt before.

Since that time, I have found myself drawn to others in their time of need. I have prayed for them; prayed with them and talked (really just listened) to them. Six months ago while serving the needs of another, I was asked if I was an ordained minister, when I replied that I was not, I was told by that person that others were missing out on what I could bring to their lives. Since that time I've been told by several others that I was was missing my calling in life by not becoming an Ordained Minister.

I've given a lot of prayerful thought as to what I should do and then last week I came across the site for ULC. An inner prompting within me told me "I have provided the means, now act". Last week, I took the few minutes needed to request ordination.

I'm looking forward to this new facet of my life.

May God's blessing be upon you.

Rev. Earl

Three years ago my wife and I lost a teen aged son-he was beaten up and left for dead. During my grieving process, I met a gentleman that had began a outreach ministry. At this time of my life I was the President of a district football league and my son had played for league for several years. The Minister was a Football Referee and after a day of football we began to talk. Some how the conversation turned to the death of my son and the anger and emptiness that I was feeling. Normally, I don't show my emotions in front of others, let alone strangers, but tears were streaming down my face. This man took my hands in his and prayed to our Lord and Saviour and lifted me up. I always felt that I was strong in my religion, but such an overwhelming peace came over my being that I have never felt before.

Since that time, I have found myself drawn to others in their time of need. I have prayed for them; prayed with them and talked (really just listened) to them. Six months ago while serving the needs of another, I was asked if I was an ordained minister, when I replied that I was not, I was told by that person that others were missing out on what I could bring to their lives. Since that time I've been told by several others that I was was missing my calling in life by not becoming an Ordained Minister.

I've given a lot of prayerful thought as to what I should do and then last week I came across the site for ULC. An inner prompting within me told me "I have provided the means, now act". Last week, I took the few minutes needed to request ordination.

Rev. Earl

What an inspirational story, Rev. Earl.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings to all, just thought i would take a moment and explain why i took the leap to become an ordained minister.

I have been a nurse for more than five years, and am currently working on my EMT certification. In recieving the

confirmation from ULC, i felt a great warmth in my heart because i knew that now, not only will i have the ability to

physically heal people; i also in a time of need, will be able to help heal them spiritually as well...

As a child, my parents didn't know which religion to follow. Subsequently, I have a baptismal record that states I'm Catholic. After that, there was the Baptist church we would go to with my paternal grandmother, and still I would go to Catholic church with my maternal grandparents. After a few more church changes, my parents began to follow the Jehovah's Witnesses. Eventually, they stopped going to services anywhere. Needless to say, although most of the churches we went to were Christian based, I took a little from each one, and have settled my beliefs that way.

Raising my own children, I felt this was not the way to bring them up... "Believe this group. No, wait, believe this one. On second thought, there is this other religion we should believe in."

I decided to let my sons choose which church they wanted to follow. I've always told them that no matter what they choose, I'll stand by them and support them. I've done this by bringing them to services at many different churches, so they may learn as much about religion as they want or need to.

In the process, I've learned more about myself and my own faith, but never really followed any of it. I had to go through some hard times in my life before I was ready to accept faith in my heart. And the really strange thing is my mind kept telling me to do "what is right". I was searcing the internet to learn more to help me in my faith and I felt it was a sign when I found the ULC doctrine that states nearly the same thing. A sign that now that I have found my faith again, it was time to do more and help others find their faith as well.

And now that I've given you 40 years of my life in three short paragraphs, you basically know now why I chose to become an ordained minister through ULC.

My journey to ordination has been a long one. Ever since I was a little girl I have searched for a religion that fit for me. I have attended services for several Christian faiths, studied Wiccan beliefs, Hinduism, Buddism, etc. But nothing ever really fit for me because it always seemed there was this separatism built-in to every religion. I just could not find a faith that seemed to support my beliefs of universal acceptance and that everyone was on the "right" path as long as they were doing what was right for their own souls while refraining from oppressing others. Then just a few days ago I somehow stumbled across ULC. The Universalist faith was something I had never heard of and I have been insatisable in my quest to learn about its beginning and beliefs and if this was the religion that I was looking for. Turns out it was. So I decided to become ordained. My ordination gives me the courage to find others who were languishing in religions that do not fit and will not accept their beliefs that everyone is moving in the same direction just using different means to get there. I am hoping to see a spread of Universalism to what it once was as recently as the early 20th century. Although I do not intend to start a congregation, I do intend to be open to dialogue and plan to always wear something that states I am a Minister with ULC. I think I will be opening myself up to negativity and rejection but it will be worth it if I can help someone find the light they are looking for. Further, I am going to be starting a foundation to combat social issues in my city - particularly that of homelessness. I plan to be contacting the other ULC ministers in my area to see what type of support and involvement they are interested in giving for in this project. If you are reading this, I ask that you say a prayer, light a candle, or otherwise wish this endeavor well because it will not only help those in my community who need others but it will also help to spread the word of peace, acceptance, and hope that I feel the Universalist Church stands for.

• 2 weeks later...

Why? Oh well....I'm not supposed to respond to these kinds of questions...but what the heck.

I've become ordained for several reasons....I'm spiritual (looooong story), I'm practicing Healing Touch and need ordainment to do so, and I'm a practicing Rosicrucian...and it feels right.

I just completed my Level 1 Healing Touch training, and I'm so stoked about working with energy!

God Bless You All in your chosen fields of worship.

Rose. :rolleyes:

I hope your faith and acceptance of your fate and your true calling overcomes all of this. Mine has. Only you have to answer to you. Remember you don't need a church, the church is within you. Your flock will come trust me.

I really liked your response. :thumbu:

We all get too caught up in "what am I supposed to be doing?" kinds of questions. Don't fight the spirit...just let it happen. Your church is inside you! As for what others think of us is of no importance, only that you were ordained because you were drawn to do so. Stop looking to others for the measurement your1 decisions or your self-worth....you will always be disappointed. Look only to God.

Rose

Rev. Earl

Wow...your story was so beautiful. I'm sorry for the loss of your son...I hope his murderers were caught. I sense that he was a great guy...much like his father, I'm sure. Thank you for sharing this story. Blessing. Rose

I became ordained by the UlC because I am a Catholic, but have some views that are for the most part, outside of the church: 1. I wanted to be a minister, and am married with children, 2. I believe women have the right to be called to ministry equally as men are, 3. I wanted to view uncannonized books as possible fact also (some reject the idea of big church and focus more on self enlightenment through your personal relationship with God), and 4. Acceptance of peoples outside Christianity as brothers and sisters as people of God who have taken a different path.

WOW. SO FEW HAVE PUT IT LIKE THAT. GOD BLESS AND CONTINUED SUCCESS.

• 4 weeks later...

I chose to become ordained because I always felt that there was something more that I was supposed to be doing with my life. I am hoping to use this as the springboard for me to start giving assistance and advice to the youth in our community. This is a low socio-economic area that I am living in and I really want to feel like I have done much more than my usual sitting back. I decided that change really does have to begin with one person and why can't it be me? I rally hope to sway some of these kids away from the drinking and drug use that they have been up to. This has gone beyond casual usage into some severe abuse issues. I have been hearing of 13 - 14 year olds having drinking/drug and sex parties already. There has to be something that can be done to provide them a better alternative. Perhaps families will be more accepting to see an ordained minister trying to help as being normal.

I can always hope anyway.

God bless.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all!

I joined for several reasons. The main reason, though, is that I'm very much against organized religion with large, misled congregations. I am a prophet and a teacher, as well as a perpetual student, and I see way too much blasphemy and hypocrisy in most churches now days. A friend of mine invited me to his church a few weeks ago, and he was really excited about showing it to me. There was a famous coffee kiosk inside and several other vendors. As he was showing me around the rest of the premises, I was shocked at how much was spent on the building. To top it off, they had just purchased a ferris wheel to entertain the children after church. If Christ were here in person today, he would have had a good ol' time throwing the tables around and chasing off the vendors. Christ only entered into a few churches during his time on Earth, and each and every time, he was very critical about having vendors and money changers inside of the churches. Once we actually got inside the church, there was a 30 minute or so jam session by the "choir" and then a 2 hour sermon that involved the reading of 1 scripture. I talked to my friend about it all and he said that they justified it all by saying that it brings more people into the congregation. I don't see how having more people in a building does anyone any good other than the fact that they all feel better about themselves. There was no doctrine, it was all about entertainment, and I left there feeling like I had been to a pep rally more than a church sermon. Now, this is just one example of how churches are operating these day, and I'm sure that you all have plenty of examples in your own areas.

As a prophet, I'm drawn to places like this, but only so that others can see the hypocrisy. It's not very fun, but it's what I'm called to do. As a teacher, I need to establish my own "congregation" so that I can teach doctrine so that people can see through the garbage. I just don't believe the same things as most churches now days. I don't see how morality imposed by man is conducive with Grace given by God. So, that's what I'm going to do, and that's why I joined ULC.

Also, as a teacher and perpetual student, I'm ALWAYS interested in learning from other people's perspectives about what they believe and why they believe what they do. I look forward to some really stimulating conversations!

joeninpo

• 4 weeks later...
This topic is for people who want to share why they've become an ordained minister. (Linked from the October 2005 ULC Online Newsletter)

We can start here. Maybe we'll learn a little something about each other that was previously unknown.

As a child, I received Jesus Christ as my Lord & Savior, I was raised in a family in the Southern Baptists & Pentacostla churches. I was the hell raiser when I was young, had to be God & Mom's prayers, that I made it through my teenager years, alive.

I could never understand the thinking: Jesus died on the cross for our sins. Then in another breath they would curse someone because of the color or because they're in love with someone of the same sex, but Jesus died for all of mankind's sins.

I turned my back on Jesus for a while, what kind of loving God would act like that, until it got through my skull, it wasn't God saying that, it was ignorant people who uses God name to push their agendas.

Which leads me to being a ordained minister:

I am Gay, I've seen friends die or be in the hospital, and the person they have shared their lives with couldn't visit them, because they weren't married or in a Holy Union. I believe Jesus Christ has been with me, through my life, to get me to this point to be a minister, to do Holy Unions & Weddings for my family in the Gay community, a calling to do so.

We shall see, as I told the church when I bacame ordained, I won't put a price on God or a persons spirituallity.

I'll never charge a cent to see that anyone of legal age and is allowed to marry, gets married.

Life is too short to not be with the one you love.

As it's written in the book of Matthew 22: 36-40 Jesus gave us two commandments, to love God the Father with all of our hearts, and love you neighbor, as you would love yourself. When you do this, you have fulfilled the other commandments.

That's the story...

I became ordained for several reasons. In no particular order....

Because as a Wiccan, there is no centralized church, or religious government. So even though the USA recognizes Wicca as a religion, you still have a difficult time being recognized as clergy.... which leads to the second point...

In order to officiate over official things, mainly Marriage, you must be ORDAINED clergy. Like I said before, it is difficult to be recognized as such without an established central church or such.

And finally, I've been toying with the idea of pulling my other spiritual people together to form a Congregation of our own - and the ULC provides for that.

Plus the total inclusion and lack of political motives and goal of unity and freedom for the ULC.

I've always felt a strong spiritual calling, and have been guiding those who seek guidance for a long time now. I feel the ULC empowers me to be able to do so in a more complete way.

• 2 weeks later...

Merry meet fellow ministers.

I chose to become ordained because I believe that as a minister of any faith, you shouldnt turn away from ministering to someone simply because theyre

not of your faith.

I also believe that any given minister, being in effect, called to being a minister, should not charge excessivly if at all for her or his services.

Thats about it in a nutshell.

Merry part and blessed be.

Merry meet reverend gabrielle.

Ive always believed that to minister, all you have to do is simply show that you care about others.

It starts with your friends and family then goes to neighbors.

You should make sure that your own basic needs are taken care of first such as housing.

In fact, you can use your apartment for small gatherings of you and your friends where you simply let them know that your an ordained minister and that if they need someone they can trust to talk with, then you would be willing to listen.

Thats an important form of ministry right there.

Simply lending a non-judgmental, non-biased ear to those in need of a good listener.

Then later, once youve established your reputation as a universal life minister then you can worry about having a congregation and you dont need fancy shmancy trappings and such to have a good church because any good church is defined by the person doing the ministering and those who come to you.

Blessed be and good fortune to you and your ministry.

Because it was a calling for me

I was 18 and told God' after Our many tribulations that I was going anotherway.....

to help people .... So I went into work in a Nurseing home for 26 years....

and then 3 years ago i got ordained ......... best thing i did for me

then on oct 8th 2005 i was in a serious motorscotter accident .....

I am now recovering from .... and i ask ??? Why Lord Why didnt you let me come home

i seen alot of thiings why??? I have not recived an answer yet so if anyone see's this and gets 1

Please send it to me So Lost i want my life back!!

Adventurer4203-at-yahoo.com

Merry meet adventurer.

I believe that your god chose to continue to have you live so that you can continue to minister to those in need here on earth in whatever capacity they need you to minister to them.

I hope and pray that you continue to recover and that you regain your faith not only in your god but in yourself as well.

Merry part and blessed be.

• Amulet locked, featured and unpinned this topic