Why I Became Ordained By The Ulc

Becoming ordained was something I was looking into for quite awile. I was paceing back and fourth trying to figure out religion and then i found this web site. I have alway belived in god and so i figured that the lord helps those who help themselves. So since i have helped myself maybe the fella upstairs will guide me in my quest to belong and be apart of something bigger than myself. Does any of this make sence? Also i came up with this real good idea to offciate my parents wedding renewal. :coffee:

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I chose to listen to the calling of the Holy Spirit and become

an Ordained Minister. Sadly many attacked my Ordination and called it bogus and ridiculous.

Many said it was a sin and I am quite sure you have heard all the negatives. I am quite devastated at the response negative to my wanting to serve Humanity as a ULC MInister.

I am in Perth Western Australia and feel somewhat disorientated now and lost and confused, and not sure now what to do and how to begin a Ministry and how to set up a church and Minister to the people noone else wants, the disenfranchised and most needy vulnerable in the Perth area.

I dont have money to buy vestments, dont have money to buy chalices and all the other things one would assume comes with Ministry including somewhere to Minister . I have no church, no fellowship and no flock.

am just so lost now. I truly wanted to serve Jesus, and Humanity.

All Perth churches seem so bigoted and claim it takes years to be ready to minister and be ordained and want doctorates and bachelors degrees in theology and divinity which costs thousands per yr. mNoone seems to want to allow me to Minister in their church.

Reverend Gabrielle

I am sorry that you are having so much trouble there in Australia. I am a newbie to ULC, but a practicing solitary Wiccan for about three years give or take. Hey, you and I share the same siggy!!!! I got that saying from a friend who was once a hippy then found the church! :lol:

I signed up to become Ordained by the ULC, this past Sunday.

I guess the reason I was drawn to the ULC is because of its belief of "To do that which is right" as well as their goal of "A fuller life for everyone".

I was born and raised in Tennessee in a small town that is a major part of the "Southern Bible Belt Movement". I have always known I was different even as a child. I am a pre-op transsexual, but have been told I am intersexed. I have not always been welcome by the people that I attended school with, etc. I have heard the people say I am going to hell for who I am, and it really honestly scared me away from Christianity.

I know that all Christians are not like that, but it seems these days the majority are. It was so bad at one time in Middle School that I asked my mother to home school me, I had to go through a group in Memphis called Gateway Christian, I have studied the bible for many years. I did all through Middle School and then again in High School.

At one point in time, I decided not even to believe in God and just go on with my life, I tried many other religions such as Wicca, since after all its a big part of my families history, I have tried Scientology, and many others but there was always something missing, heck I even attended a Catholic church for a while because I was accepted for the most part.

Currently, I have decided that my beliefs are a mixture of Wicca and Christian. I decided to get online to find a church that I could be a part of that would accept my beliefs, and would not view me as an outcast for those beliefs or my lifestyle. I want to be able to council those that are like myself and show them that God dose not hate them, that he loves them.

I want to be able to show people that there is a church or a group of people that will accept them for who they are not what they are. I after talking with a group of friends and others that I know, I am thinking of establishing a Ministry with them.

J. Sullivan

I first heard about ULC several years ago. I never did get around to sending money for a course, but recently felt the desire to do so. I went looking and found the site, then the link for ordination. I still haven't taken a class, but there are several that have my eye. I am actually a practicing Wiccan, taking classes now with the Witchschool, an online class program for those who believe, but now necessarily in the desert religions or book religions. I have been interested in religion since roughly '96 when I found the United Church of Religious Science. I was at one time going to practice and seek ordination with that group, but lost interest when I was told that I first needed to heal a lifetime's worth of pain before I could study for the church. I don't dispute the need for healing, I just don't find it practical to wait that long. I want to be able to serve as an aid for those Wiccans who need me and I didn't want to wait til I was ancient. I feel that, even in my broken, human condition, I can still offer solace. Also, I belong to a group of reenactors and can't wait til I can perform my first Celtic Wedding. I am very deeply interested in the Celtic History, culture and religions. Anyone want to talk Celt, I'm here!

Recently, I earned my BA in English and hope to earn a PhD in the future. Love animals and crafts,especially fiber arts, and I respect and honor the ULC for offering the opportunity to be respected for the work I do. Can't wait til I can order the Marriage Package! :smart:

Thank the gods for the ULC and so mote it be.

• 1 month later...

I know too many people that have become ordained as a joke, so I decided to become ordained as a way of showing respect to the ULC and to stand up for what I believe in. To 'do only that which is right' is a noble cause and something that I try to do (although it is pretty difficult!). I feel that being ordained gives me the impetus and strength to keep going on standing up for my and others' rights.

Although I was raised as a Christian (Church of Scotland) I know that this is definitely not the path for me. Through a fair bit of searching and thinking, I finally arrived at a belief system that makes sense to me - if anybody is interested let me know - there are probably elements of other belief systems in there but I don't know much about that because I have never read too heavily on the subject.

I am glad that the ULC exists - it makes sense to me where an awful lot of other thing don't. To have respect for other beliefs is important and something that is becoming increasingly overlooked.

• 1 month later...

Hello, everyone! :) I am a newly ordained minister with the ULC. I got ordained, primarily, because of the traditional churches having strict rules about becoming a member. However, I want to worship God in my own way, where I want, and when I want to. I also believe in freedom of religion--with my whole heart. There are sooooooooooo many people that are turned off by the traditional churches, and/or their members' conduct.

With the ULC, we are, I believe, an affirming and welcoming church. We welcome those who are searching for meaning in their lives...that want to worship their religion of their choice, without persecution and oppression. This is the primary reason of why I became ordained with the ULC.

Thank you for your time...and welcoming me. God Bless You!

Sincerely,

Rev. Jonathan

Becoming ordained was something I was looking into for quite awile. I was paceing back and fourth trying to figure out religion and then i found this web site. I have alway belived in god and so i figured that the lord helps those who help themselves. So since i have helped myself maybe the fella upstairs will guide me in my quest to belong and be apart of something bigger than myself. Does any of this make sence? Also i came up with this real good idea to offciate my parents wedding renewal. :coffee:

MorganaA: This is Rev. Jonathan David Marshall. You might want to go to www.freewebs.com and get a website. This is what I've done for my church, because of (everything) you said in your post. For more information about me, please go to www.freewebs.com/revjonathan and click on profile. Hope this gives you some "ideas"?

Your Friend,

Rev. Jonathan

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everybody!

My name is Cyndi. I was told that I could be ordained online and looked it up and did it in May of 2005. I really did it for kicks, however I am seeing now where this could take me. I am very interested in the healing arts of massage therapy and Reiki therapy and could use this to minister to people of all faiths. I guess I could be an aspireing Minister of Healing.

I was raised Southern Baptist and as I grew up found that their narrow minded ideas and methods werent f or me. I had also voiced my desire to become an ordained minister and preach the gospel. A very big no no in the Southern Baptist Convention. I follow my own heart and beliefs now which are a mix of Christianity (which I still hold dear to my heart), and little wicca (new to this and help is welcome).

I just applied for my credentials yesterday and they are on the way to me as I type. The reason is because I've learned that I can use this for my paranormal investigations. Yes, I am a ghost hunter. :) I am also hoping to be able to preform weddings, vow renewals, handfastings and affirmation of love ceremonies.

Why I became ordained.I do not believe in just one religion fully.Grew up Catholic got married by a Lutheran minister.But did not really belong to both.My main rule is to be as good as possible no one is perfect. I also would like to perform weddings for some of my friends who fit in the same boat as me,but not real sure what else I have to do in the state of NJ.

I became ordained because my father died and he did not belong to a church and we had a hard time finding someone to perform the ceremony. Although we eventually found someone at the last minute I understood the real need for spiritual services for many out there who do not belong to a church.

I have not performed a funeral yet. My first will be for my dog. I will perform pet funerals because nobody does that around here.

I also do not fit into any church's belief system around here. I have been to so called discussion groups which consisted of an elder giving you THE TRUTH and you believing it. If you did not you were told exactly why you were wrong. My daughter couldnt wear a pumpkin to preschool because we are not allowed to celebrate Halloween around here.

I felt strangely validated in my beliefs when I got the ordiantion email. Like I needed to have someone say it was okay to believe what I wanted (and I am not evil for doing so)

So once I get over this need for validation I hope I can really help others who are in need of spiritual help and/or dont have the money to buy there membership to a church.

Rev Tammy

WoW!! That was just over 32 years ago. It's going to be hard to recollect.

I think I joined just to be cool. Because some others had...and I wanted in on it.

But then a couple of years later...my path in life changed and I put my ordination to good use.

I changed beliefs several times from christian to mormon to satanic and a few in between those in the last 30 years.

I won't mention my current beliefs here as to not be scrutinized.

But all said and done...becoming ordained through ULC was the best choice I have made in life.

Good will to all...

Rev. Leo

Kia Ora from New Zealand.

This year has been a tragic one for alot of people of all walks of life that I know.

Twice this year I have been blessed and touched. These are the reasons I became ordained.

Back in february this year my wife had a major nervous breakdown that put her into a mental health unit. Nobody was telling me anything, the Dr's todl me it was up to her to tell me what was going on, but she was the one who had, had the breakdown.

It took me the lowest point in my life, I couldnt handle it anymore. I grabbed one of my martial arts swords which is extremely sharp and sat on my deck looking at the moon feeling for hte spaces between my ribs, aiming for my heart.

Out of nowhere I said aloud "Jesus help me, give me the strength to get through this" without even realising it I woke the next morning in bed feeling calm and peaceful and realised that i had been heard.

My wife got over her illness and made great roads to recovery. However I slipt back into my old non beliefs ways.

On July 22nd 2006 I was hit with the headache to end all headaches.. I finally went to Dr 4 days later only to discover I had a brain anuerysm- and artery in my brain was leaking. I was flown to a major hospital. Due to the Dr's being busy I had to wait for a day and a half for my operation.

In that time I asked the nurses to find me a chaplain. They were too busy and just forgot.

Then in the early hours of the morning of the operation, I prayed asking Jesus for the strength to get through the operation in one piece.

It was then I felt a presence calming me, relaxing me. The day I had my operation I was one of 4 ops done.

1 guy was left paralysed down his left side, the 2 others ended up not knowing who they were, where they were or anything. I woke up with a smile on my face making jokes.

I am already back at work 2 months before I am supposed to be. I have been given the greeen light to drive again 3 months before I was supposed to be.

I now know my prayers have been heard.... and I believe

The Dr's did there bit for me, Jesus did his bit for me - Now it is my turn to do my bit for Jesus and whoever I can help....

Bless you all....

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone. I got ordained threw the U.L.C. because I beleive in spreading love to eveyone no matter who they are.I feel the U.L.C. is just that .I am a spiritualist who tries and live his life Jesus like.I have had a life full of learning experinces.I got ordained to help anyone that I can .I have been blessed with with hardships and joy this life because I have learned from the pain and happiness.I need to spread my knowledge to help anyone in need.I am also here to learn from other people so please feel feel to introduce yourself to me .I still have alot to learn and that only comes threw experiences and meeting new people of all walks of life.

• 1 month later...

Hello all --

I applied to be an ULC minister as I believe in the letter and spirit of the First Amendment. No one has a monopoly on God. The basic, most essential relationship between human and God requires no medium or mediator. The idea that human-made organizations and "authorities," that is, "mainstream" churches and governments, have some sort of standing to interfere in this relationship is deeply offensive, and blasphemous. Reverend Kirby was surely the greatest defender in action of the right to free belief and free conscience since Thomas Jefferson. The ULC enables what Jefferson and the other greats said were inalienable rights as spoken of in the First Amendment.

God bless you all, and have a Merry Christmas, Happy Solstice, and Happy New Year!

-- Milton John Kleim, Jr., Mendocino County, California

Guest Pastor Brian
Reverend Kirby was surely the greatest defender in action of the right to free belief and free conscience since Thomas Jefferson. The ULC enables what Jefferson and the other greats said were inalienable rights as spoken of in the First Amendment.

God bless you all, and have a Merry Christmas, Happy Solstice, and Happy New Year!

-- Milton John Kleim, Jr., Mendocino County, California

...and in your first post, you compare Rev. Kirby to Thomas Jefferson...you do well my friend, happy holidays to you too!

Hello

I became Ordained to futher my work as a Fire Chaplain, I have been a firefighter for 18 years. I look forward to getting to know everyone I can. Drop me a note and say Hi. I wish you all a blessed 2007

Chappy :thumbu:

• Amulet locked, featured and unpinned this topic