Why I Became Ordained By The Ulc

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To answer such a question I would have to give you a brief history. So, here it is. I was raised in a Ecelectic home of the Christian mentality which means my parents ran the gamut of possibilities. We attended Seventh Day Adventists, Jehovah's Witness, Church of Christ, Baptist, Penacostal, and non denominational. Though prior to that particular mentality, I was aware of the fact that my mother caste astrological charts and my step father referred to her as a witch, and that I had what is often termed ESP from my age group but what I call intuitive now.

Well, the stepfather who ventured into becoming an ordained minister was in fact the monster in the closet and my brother and I suffered greatly for his perversions. At 18, though deeply spiritual, and obviously wounded, I walked away from the Christian path, and into marriage with a non practicing Catholic. My brother, walked behind the bars of the prison system the same year at 15. We both sought to escape.

Over the years I found God, or the equivalent was consistent in all spiritual paths. One always seeks to find communion with the higher purpose, some of us call it God, others Goddess, others think that the answers lie in breaking down all measure of distraction.

I found that what I wanted, was a relationship with God...without barriers, without interpretations. I wanted to be able to KNOW this. So, in my search, I have learned much and I found myself progressivly being asked to share this information. Over time, througout the many conversations on the subject, what I gave as assistance to serve the higher path of each person began to correlate to the teachings of other ministers and spiritualists. I was surprised by this, and thought is odd. I questioned if I was simply parroting the streams of thought I had read. After careful consideration and much soul searching I realized that that was not the case. I always followed the sense of God I found prevailed in those conversations and shared what the message was from the higher ideals. And if it happened to be similar to the lesson their minister gave them, then I reminded them that the Spirit of God moves as necessary, and sometimes we need the message in varied forms before we take heed to it.

Then my mother came to visit and over about a years time in the course of many conversations, again, I shared that had I been Christian, I would have been a minister...but I could not in good conscience perpetuate one path to the exclusion of others. She returned home to find someone close to her had become a ULC minister and there we began.

Ideally I would like to offer guidance to those in need, and I do find myself wondering if perhaps visiting prisoners would not in fact be to the benefit of those feeling not quite aligned with ONE thought yet still in need of spiritual guidance and understanding. As yet I have no married anyone, and having been unemployed for the last year I have not had the financial stability to make time to search out and find the best way to visit prisoners, nor have I had the opportunity to seek out the opportunities to visit those in need at hospitals (as a minister).

Sister Ligeia

This topic is for people who want to share why they've become an ordained minister. (Linked from the October 2005 ULC Online Newsletter)

We can start here. Maybe we'll learn a little something about each other that was previously unknown.

I was orginally ordained in mid-1970's. I felt it validated me and it also allowed me to openly work with drug addicts and alcoholics. I was born the 8th Great Granddaughter of Sara Pease, Salem Village, 1692 and have been different all my life. In the mid 70's I started working with women, who had lost their children to CPS and had problems with substance abuse. I didn't have a degree in social work or law so the legal system didn't accept me as have any expertise. To assist the women I was attempting to help I was ordained and that make me their spiritual advisor/minister. Then the state got involved in substance abuse treatment and my ordination was not acceptable in working in the recovery field for several years.

In addition to having been born into a witch family, I have studied Wicca, Stergia, and Native American Spiritualism. I am an advisor to many women now who have substance abuse problems and now the ordination is considered valid again, although not appreciated by Social Workers or other people who work within the "recovery" field or in CPS.

I was orginally ordained in mid-1970's. I felt it validated me and it also allowed me to openly work with drug addicts and alcoholics. I was born the 8th Great Granddaughter of Sara Pease, Salem Village, 1692 and have been different all my life. In the mid 70's I started working with women, who had lost their children to CPS and had problems with substance abuse. I didn't have a degree in social work or law so the legal system didn't accept me as have any expertise. To assist the women I was attempting to help I was ordained and that make me their spiritual advisor/minister. Then the state got involved in substance abuse treatment and my ordination was not acceptable in working in the recovery field for several years.

In addition to having been born into a witch family, I have studied Wicca, Stergia, and Native American Spiritualism. I am an advisor to many women now who have substance abuse problems and now the ordination is considered valid again, although not appreciated by Social Workers or other people who work within the "recovery" field or in CPS.

Oh Don't worry about what folks in the "recovery" field think. You make all the difference to the people you are helping.. and well growing up in foster care.. I have my own rotten opinions of both foster care system, and CPS system.. Take Care, and remember it means all the difference to the people you help!.. if nothing else you can still help out as friends! :) .. Friendship is the best support group Spirit put on the face of this earth if you ask me! :) . Take Care..

- Dana C. L.

"DNatureofDTrain"

My reason for becoming Ordained was first to get a better relationship with God by doing something to help.Having faith no matter what happens is sometimes hard and things happen that can pull you away from God.That did happen to me.I realized that God is not the reason some things happen,a lot of it is our wrong doing or thinking.I feel much better about doing this and plan on moving further in this.

Rev Michelle

I was called into the ministry. I was a youth leader in a church in this town for five years, after growing up in church and exploring what I believe on my own, and finding my own self, I decided I dont like what the word christian means anymore, I left the church and called myself a christ follower. Now me being gay and leaving the church for that and many other reasons, I still wanted to keep my calling, and my dad and my sister are both ordained through the ULC and I thought well lets make it a family thing, and so I did, my wife and I are both ordained we are new, ordained 10 31 05.... and now we want to do marriages and counseling soon. and are fortunate that we have a friend that owns a shop that will get our names out there when we are ready

• 3 weeks later...
:D well i'm new to the forums in fAct this is my first post At the ulc forum but i was ordAined by god before i was ordAined by a church.. i was sick of trying to find A way to afford bible college on wAy less thAn minimum wage well the ulc gAve me the hook-up.. now i'm Able to serve the lord As legAlly as someone who spent 30 years at bible college to learn nothing :lol: but thAts true with most people from bible college many come out dumber thAn when they went in.. i was sick of serving in the capAcities of A minister without the title or credentiAls. the ulc solved that problem to. And finally i wAs sick of people i ministered to sAying i should become a minister.. do you know how Annoying that is.... but the ulc solved like almost all my problems the only one i got now is ministers or other folk who ridicule me for no formAl training my answer to them is: in isaiAh 6 there wAs not a command to go to college then declAre the message of the lord. there was however a command to go declAre the messAge of the lord. or how about the Appointment in john 15:16 god chose us. or there is the fAct i follow jesus not mAn what he says mAtters more than whAt any degree sAys. so if you ask me if i got A degree i'll say yes i even went to bible college i hAd the best teAcher to, the holy ghost. i Also point out the new testAment does not give the names of any good bible colleges with the exception of the holy ghost.. when led by the holy ghost you cAn Accomplish anything god wAnts... proof of this is last night i was chatting with a girl online who was graduAting from seminAry As A theologiAn, she spent 10's of thousAnds over the yeArs And is now A theologiAn.. she thought i wAs A theologiAn, or hAd been a minister for yeArs. when i pointed out i wAs 22 she wAs amAzed how the spirit of god reveAled things to me, And wAs Amazed even more when i told her i never finished the 6th grAde And never went to college let alone bible college.. here she wAs taking Advice And instruction from me, An uneducated country boy who never finished 6th grAde.. then again i Am educAted.. the holy ghost wAs my teAcher. and he';s the best teAcher anyone could ever get... Am i off in any of my stAtements? let me know :smart:

I feel ya on the to many people were saying I should become a minister part. :)

I listened to that for over 10 years! Before I finally gave into it. :)

- Dana C. L.

"DNatureofDTrain"

.. But I still am not used to "Rev." lol. Maybe when I get into more active ministry I will get used to it.

Take care and welcome to the forums!

this just in i recieved yet another email from a religious biggot sAying my ministry And ordination Are garbage becAuse i did not go to a bible college. i agreed with everything the mAn said because we hAve all reAd how long after sAuls salvAtion he stArted ministering. All those yeArs he spent in bible college. acts chApter 9... sAme with isAiah in isAiAh chApter 6.. And with the prince of preachers c.h. spurgeon.. [he never went either] i gave old boy a lesson in the call of god and i'm praying he leArns respect for gods cAlling not A college degree.. i am a christiAn and do not believe in religion. but i also Agree on the fAct that we all must get Along no mAtter what faith/religion we are even if we do not Agree on religion/faith. i feel the need to admit i hAve preAched AgAinst other religions. but it is only done from love. And i do hAve friends thAt are muslim, cAtholic, vArious protestant churches. even though i do not Agree, And even preAch agAinst them i still have them As friends. becAuse there is often times more to the person than their fAith/religion. i hope no one gets mAd At me or hates me for this.. i just felt led of the lord to sAy these things And be honest. :pepsi::Peace::grin:

After reading my lASt post i felt it propper to elAborate just A little more on my lAst stAtement.. i Accept every person no mAtter what there belief even though i mAy not Accept their belief As truth.. it's my personAl conviction. it does not meAn i Am condemning anyone. i just don't agree with thAt person 100% and you never will find someone who is 100% agreeable to your beliefs. thAt is why i like ulc it accepts you just As you are. And even if you believe something different it's ok, because the ulc is not here to judge. just to help all peoples in All walks of life to minister in thier own way.. sorry if i confused Anyone.. love you all, and have A blessed dAy. merry christmAs...

by the wAy i know mAny of you have kids so i thought i'd post A pic of MY pride and joy...

this just in i recieved yet another email from a religious biggot sAying my ministry And ordination Are garbage becAuse i did not go to a bible college. i agreed with everything the mAn said because we hAve all reAd how long after sAuls salvAtion he stArted ministering. All those yeArs he spent in bible college. acts chApter 9... sAme with isAiah in isAiAh chApter 6.. And with the prince of preachers c.h. spurgeon.. [he never went either] i gave old boy a lesson in the call of god and i'm praying he leArns respect for gods cAlling not A college degree.. i am a christiAn and do not believe in religion. but i also Agree on the fAct that we all must get Along no mAtter what faith/religion we are even if we do not Agree on religion/faith. i feel the need to admit i hAve preAched AgAinst other religions. but it is only done from love. And i do hAve friends thAt are muslim, cAtholic, vArious protestant churches. even though i do not Agree, And even preAch agAinst them i still have them As friends. becAuse there is often times more to the person than their fAith/religion. i hope no one gets mAd At me or hates me for this.. i just felt led of the lord to sAy these things And be honest. :pepsi::Peace::grin:

don't worry about it.

I am a catholic priest, and I was trained by book and hands on,

does that make me invalid? I don't have the pretty parchment either.

err, and ULC can sell you that if you really want the pretty paper... :blink:

Edited by FrCorey

don't worry about it.

I am a catholic priest, and I was trained by book and hands on,

does that make me invalid? I don't have the pretty parchment either.

err, and ULC can sell you that if you really want the pretty paper... :blink:

:thumbu: well this is the 3rd year annivesary in ulc for me. i came here because of the diffferent paths that were relected here. i became ordianed here because i knew ministry is one of my life missions. i am also a board certified holistic health practitioner, certified expressive art therapist, am earning a ph.d in holistic ministries from american institue of holistic theology, i earend a doctor of divinity from universal light church. i completed the soul clinic class offered by ulc, very good. iam a cerified pastoral counselor, and board certified chaplain through the international pastoral counselors association, . my ministry is growing, as so am i. i held a beautiful service in my home where 12 of my closest friends showed up"the journey of our nativiity" a metaphysical story of the nativity. i participate in many beleifs. i volunteer w/young gay youth.i live w/ fibromyalgia daily am writing for the fibromyalgia fronteers a quarterly news journal. i am a known art therapist and writer, look under kurt fondriest art therapist. so all this brought me here , all this came from me being here. the journey is still going....

peace

rev. kurt

I think it all started a long time ago, I have always tried to help people, listen to them and help them if I could. But when I really found out was when I went to prison, started to study the word and found out that this is what I should do. Now that I am a minister I feel like I am a whole person. God has been good to me.

Interesting question:

I was raised in a liberal protestant household. My mother grew up in the Pentecostal Holiness church and often spoke of the rampant hypocrisy that she saw there. Mom goes to church for the music...doctrine means nothing to her. "Be a good person" is the only catechism she needs.

My father was raised in the same church in which I was baptized. He has done his share of praying and contemplation and is at peace with his relationship with God.. Occasionally he and I will have wonderful, sharing conversations on the subject, but he is not the sort to share his beliefs in public.

I was an enthusiastic student in sunday school and bible study. I was even "born again" at church camp. That is, until I was scolded for suggesting that the Apostle Paul might have been speaking from within his cultural paradigm when he discussed the role of women in the church. I knew then that I would have to continue on my own path.

I became, and continue to be, a student of religion and religious history. Long ago, I realized that I was more familiar with the history of western religious traditions and of the Bible than most of the "Preachers" I encountered. I developed an urgent need to teach...to free people from the ignorance in which many organized religions want to trap them.

I have always been the "Dear Abby" in my circle of friends. I guess that, somehow, I was just naturally empathetic.

I want to teach....I want to serve.. I want to comfort.

I heard about internet ordination, but the first place I found was the Church of Spiritual Humanism. I read their forums, I thought it was right for me, and I became ordained in that church. It was not for several years that I stumbled into a forum where I was berated and belittled and generally treated ill...all because I confessed a belief in the Divine. It turns out they are Orthodox Atheists and have NO tolerance for hopeful agnostics or other 'superstitious' folk. This was stated, very obtusely, in their materials, but I just didn't get it before then. I have since resigned my ordination with them.

I continued my search and, at the urging of a Wiccan friend, I came to ULC. I now feel that I have found my "church home" where I can learn and grow and share.

I have performed several weddings (gay & straight) and one baptism.

Yup...that covers it.

I served with the Army for one year in Iraq. An opportuity arose to minister in a church there but the Army required me to be ordained. A decade ago I trained for the ministry with the SDA church. Not currently ordaind or affiliated with an organization tat could expedite an ordination I chose the ULC ordination. Since returning I also performed a marriage for a soldier.

You got my attention with the letters SDA... Are you still an SDA? Why or why not? And when and where did you train to become a minister as an SDA? I will be looking forward to hearing from you and understanding more about you and your ministry.

Interesting question:

I was an enthusiastic student in sunday school and bible study. I was even "born again" at church camp. That is, until I was scolded for suggesting that the Apostle Paul might have been speaking from within his cultural paradigm when he discussed the role of women in the church. I knew then that I would have to continue on my own path.

Yup...that covers it.

Welcome to our family. I feel a kindred connection with you in that I left a parish (or should I say a parish left me?) over my views of Paul. Suffice it to say that I believe Paul was an unfortunate misogynist who had much good to offer, as long as you skimmed off a few layers and realized he was a victim of his times and surroundings and this many years later it is truly unfortunate when one thinks of a woman as having a lower status anywhere.

My big disgrace to my childhood parish was calling out my very misguided rector who told me that he would not allow a female acolyte to serve at his altar. Since I had over 18 years of service under the bridge and had read the Canon laws of the Episcopal church cover to cover many times, I challenged him to find me a single canon that states a person may not serve at the altar if she is female. He went off on a tangent about Paul (naturally), but he could not find anything in the Canons (because it is not there to be found). Outcome? Female acolytes, and the loss of the longest serving acolyte in the 20th century history of that parish.

That and a few of the other views held by ECUSA caused me to walk away and seek my own path. After all, why should I want to be a member of a church that would never ordain me? Taht being said, there are a few Episcopal parishes where I feel welcomed. Not all subscribe to ECUSA. Some have joined the schism and are directly alligned with the Anglican Communion. Still others are independent. It is sad that there is so much infighting in a single denomination, but when all is said and done, I need to answer to the Almighty as I understand Him/Her/It/Them. When the final role is called, I want to be on the registrar's list, so to speak. :coffee:

• Amulet locked, featured and unpinned this topic