Why I Became Ordained By The Ulc

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

I became ordained mainly to assist with debriefing Volunteer Emergency response Communications officers.

as a Divisional Commander (still) I find it was a good move.

I can now often get to what is troubling them after the offical debrief by changing Hats so to speak.

When things are bad and the only contact with the outside world is the comms officers they are under a lot of strain, without really knowing what is happening other than the messages they pass.

A large part of moving on, after bad experiences is being able to talk about it

in a neutral situation.

Also I have found that it was the right choice, as I am also able to be an ear for, and able to support spiritually some of the people in the community most affected.

Edited by edcrain

My reason wasn't so noble...

I had been going thru a lot of changes in my life...searching for answers that never seemed to feel just right. I moved from religion to religion looking for something that felt right.

Finally I settled on witchcraft...with a smattering of Wicca, Buddhism and Christianity mixed in...Now think about it...what other church would take me with a mix like that? So...here I am!!!

This blurb is more about, how I became a ULC Minster, and then my acceptance of being part of ULC.

I read about ULC on another forum.

I was curious and checked out the site.

I was surprized to find out how easy it

was to be ordained. Then I went to the

forum and asked a question; I think it

was about alternative religions. I began

to slowly learn that there were many

different religions and non-religions

represented. Being a believer in Meta-

physics, I believe that I was drawn to

the ULC for a purpose. Being part of

such a diverse group of multiple,

inter-faiths is an enriching experience.

To serve as a ULC Minister is a privilege.

" Do That Which Is Right" is not a hard philosophy to live by; although it could be challenging to those who believe that only their religious way is right :D

I was teaching and lecturing on meditation but I wanted to go deeper into spirituality. Being a Buddhist, I saw my audience as being limited and sometimes judgemental. I started reading a lot of books on Catholicism and got interested in the lives of saints, monks, and nuns. I don't remember what sparked it, but one night I was drawn to looking on Yahoo for minister info. The ULC popped up and I read about how easy it was to be ordained. I must admit my ego kicked in and I thought it would be charming to be a "Reverend". The more I read about the ULC and thier views, the more I agreed with them that people of all kinds have ministry ability. It's not about memorizing scriptures, it's about being there to help people with their spiritual needs. I liked their interfaith ideas and I felt this was a great way to be able to talk and aid more people than I could have before... :)

I chose to listen to the calling of the Holy Spirit and become

an Ordained Minister. Sadly many attacked my Ordination and called it bogus and ridiculous.

Many said it was a sin and I am quite sure you have heard all the negatives. I am quite devastated at the response negative to my wanting to serve Humanity as a ULC MInister.

I am in Perth Western Australia and feel somewhat disorientated now and lost and confused, and not sure now what to do and how to begin a Ministry and how to set up a church and Minister to the people noone else wants, the disenfranchised and most needy vulnerable in the Perth area.

I dont have money to buy vestments, dont have money to buy chalices and all the other things one would assume comes with Ministry including somewhere to Minister . I have no church, no fellowship and no flock.

am just so lost now. I truly wanted to serve Jesus, and Humanity.

All Perth churches seem so bigoted and claim it takes years to be ready to minister and be ordained and want doctorates and bachelors degrees in theology and divinity which costs thousands per yr. mNoone seems to want to allow me to Minister in their church.

Reverend Tess McNamara

I chose to listen to the calling of the Holy Spirit and become

an Ordained Minister. Sadly many attacked my Ordination and called it bogus and ridiculous.

Many said it was a sin and I am quite sure you have heard all the negatives. I am quite devastated at the response negative to my wanting to serve Humanity as a ULC MInister.

I am in Perth Western Australia and feel somewhat disorientated now and lost and confused, and not sure now what to do and how to begin a Ministry and how to set up a church and Minister to the people noone else wants, the disenfranchised and most needy vulnerable in the Perth area.

I dont have money to buy vestments, dont have money to buy chalices and all the other things one would assume comes with Ministry including somewhere to Minister . I have no church, no fellowship and no flock.

am just so lost now. I truly wanted to serve Jesus, and Humanity.

All Perth churches seem so bigoted and claim it takes years to be ready to minister and be ordained and want doctorates and bachelors degrees in theology and divinity which costs thousands per yr. mNoone seems to want to allow me to Minister in their church.

Reverend Tess McNamara

Tess Check out, TheChurchless.com If mainstream is unexcepting open other doors where open minded people know that Jesus was not ordained,

Do that which is right, You may need to start out accepting that you are at the beginning of your ULC ministry and others who have spent years preparing and spending lots of money on religious schooling are a bit in awe that you would come along with so much enthusiasim and no degrees in religion and expect to be part of their church administration, or even start your own church.

You might also look for support from those who believe that you are sincere and

not be angry with those who do not take your ordination seriously.That's their problem.

while i've answered this in other threads,i basically became ordained as a joke.however,once the alcohol cleared my system,i took a good look at what i had done.i found that if i choose to be responsible and study for the title of reverend,then i did deserve it.

as a buddhist,i can be of service to many,or few as the sitution dictates,and am learning more each day.and being a minister does gelp in alot of situtions.

I bought a chapel because I loved the building, then figured it could be fixed up for small weddings, then made the connection that I could be one of the people marrying other people.

It also makes me feel more solid in my spirituality.

I have yet to determine where it will ultimately lead me, but I know it's leading somewhere.

Why did I become a ULC Minister?

It was an interesting chain of events, and a story I'm sure I've told more than once here.

When my husband and I first got engaged, a friend of ours informed us that as an ordained minister, he'd be happy to perform our wedding. I absolutely did NOT believe that he was ordained. He told me about the ULC, the only doctrine of which was "Do that which is right", and that's what intrigued me. He explained that it wasn't about a specific religion or belief, but about religious and spiritual freedom.

He gave me the website, and I checked it out that night. I still couldn't believe it could be that easy to become ordained, and I had to try for myself just to see if it was true.

I take pride in my status as ULC Minister. I don't preach in a church or hold sermons. My ministry is about spreading peace and understanding to as many people as I can reach.

I wish to share why I became ordained by the ULC, first I believe we are all called and ordained by God when each of us decide to serve our fellow brothern in the world. I come from a religious back ground,raise in the back of my grandmother's Pentecostal church. My grandfather on the other side of the family was a Baptist so there was some discourse in growing up. I believe that if God is using your now for anything that HE has a plan for you and your life. So to my calling, I have been involved in many organizations of religion and I have found many real christians in all churches and a lot not even in a church, so I decided to try to reach other's who have been disfellowshiped or deflocked or thrown out or simply walked away from their churches. I want to give them a place to come and to express their views and write poems or faith articles that gives all a chance to help other's. I have been down the road that leads to destruction and back by the mercy of God and brought out to serve. So I asked myself how do I go about serving God? I got an answer when one day a friend of mine asked if I would like to go with him to a public TV class,well I got a chance to do a TV show . I asked God what should I call this show? I want to keep it simple and try to reach other's without preaching to them to let them know that receiving salvation is a simple thing to do if you truly want to be with the Lord Jesus. Bingo the name Simple Salvation came to me ,so I used it as the title of the TV show which numbered only four. Soon people who I knew stated asking me which church I belonged to and how long had I been a minister? I was afraid to do more as I was not ordained by a man's church but by God's calling as decribed in the book of John. A young friend of my son who I did a Bible study with told me he was an ordained minister,so I asked how someone as young as himself had become ordained and by which church? He then informed me about the ULC church in Modesto Ca. so I went to the site and became ordained by them in Oct.1999 I have received a lot of respect since being ordained by a recognized church. I think you ULC though there are a lot of thing's I disagree with the whole thing of letting anyone become ordained,I do respect the idea to do Good to all and respect their beliefs. God will straighten us all out on His return. I encourage All who wish to serve as a minister to become ordained and I have a link on my site to come to ULC and become ordained them selves. Thank you Jesus for all who wish to be with you and be in the kingdom of God. For any who wish to write an article or poem and see it appear on the internet please come to our site at simplesalvation.org and contribute your time an effort to help other's Amen

All my life I've been a very spiritual person, and also somewhat of a psychic. Of course that is not acceptable in any monothesic religions that I've come across. And I found the contradictions of the bible, an angry vengeful god in the old testement, versus a gentle loving god in the new testement, something I could not put my faith in.

As I grew older and studied more I learned that, through my own ancestry, there were a class of Priests long before christianity came to northern europe. That was when i learned about Druidry. I joined an organization based in England called OBOD, or the Order of Bards, Ovates, and Druids. I took their correspondance course and was completely amazed at how this ancient spirituality, the worship of nature and the duality of the universe, felt so right in my heart and mind. Because I live in the US, belonging to this organization doesn't give me any rights as a priest or minister. When I found your organization I had found what I was looking for, a way to be legally ordained under my own belief system.

I now have a small ministry where I teach the ways of my ancient ancestors. I have also learned, by tracing of the family tree, that it is very likely I am decendent of real Druids. My maiden name, Cady, means House of God in Gaelic.

I have also taken some of the ULC courses, which have contributed to my understanding of all spirituality. I am very grateful that I found ULC.

Greetings All:

I’m sure that my story will be the most “far fetched” or otherwise an (seemingly) unbelievable one posted on this forum – now and forever. I’m also sure that many who reads this post will probably ask themselves how someone “like me” could possibly have God in his life – let alone claim to be called to service by God.

My name is JJ Harper, Imperial Wizard of the American White Knights of the Ku Klux Klan, Inc.

Since childhood, I’ve believed in the Primitive Baptist doctrine (Hard Shell). For those of you unfamiliar with this doctrine, I will give a brief explanation. The main differences between us and other denominations (in the realm of Baptists) is basically two fold. First, we are firm believers in “foreordination” or “predestination,” which God speaks of throughout the bible. Secondly, we believe that no one (human beings) has the power to save him or herself. In other words, we don’t believe that anyone can “let God” do anything. I know you’ve all heard that in almost every “liberal” sermon. Most “Missionary Baptist” (commonly known as Southern Baptist) pastors preach: “Let God save you” or “Let God come into your life.” Instead we believe that God first “accepted” us. The only thing we as humans have the power to do is to admit that to ourselves. Not one drop of Christ’s precious blood was wasted on anyone that might choose not to “accept” him! Amen!

There I go – preaching again. Anyhow, I’ll move on. I first felt called to the ministry in 1984. I was going through basic training for the U.S. Army. After completing “Basic,” I dismissed that calling as nothing more than realizing that I truly needed God to get me through those difficult times. That feeling never left me, however I always found an excuse or reason to deny the facts. After serving 4 years in Military Intelligence, I quit the army and went back to finish my college degree in electronics engineering. I graduated from GA Southern University in 1990.

I fell in love in 1991. I married her in 1995. I’m still married to her today. We attended a Primitive Baptist church for several years after that. During that time, a friend of mine drove his car into a corn combine (unintentionally). Needless to say, he was hurt pretty badly. He survived after spending several months in the hospital. Soon after he recovered from that experience, he claimed that what he went through was a miracle – and that his life was spared by God for a higher purpose. He also knew God, but never felt this “calling.” I (as well as others) questioned his motive(s) for wanting to preach the Gospel. I figured that he was feeling the same way I did during my bout with basic training. He knew that God had given him another chance in life. He saw the power of prayer – not only his, but from others.

Soon he was ordained (first by God, so he claims) by the Elders which make up a division of the Primitive Baptist Association. Before long, our local church called him to pastor our church. He has been there now for about 6 years. After his first year as our pastor, I began to notice his lack (or desire) of interest concerning his duties in the pulpit. His studies weekend, therefore his sermons were shortened and almost confusing to us.

I told him of my experiences concerning being called to preach. I asked him (many times) if it was possible that he was really not called by God to preach but only a result of his renewed dedication to God after realizing His power through “troubled waters.” He’s always assured me that he feels that his calling was (is) genuine. Even so, his “works” (until this day) doesn’t fit with the faith he proclaims to have.

That ordeal made me question myself and God’s calling for me to preach His word even more. I didn’t (don’t) want to enter into the ministry as anything less than a personal command from God. Besides that fact, I’ve never felt worthy of such a position in the least! I still feel unworthy.

So what made me “change my mind?” God changed it for me. In other words, I finally realized that the ministry wasn’t going to be something I desired to do – it was something I was TOLD to do!

I joined the Klan a few years ago. When I did, I realized that (for the most part) the Klan had turned into nothing more than “good-ole-boy” groups in America who need (needed) their own back yards cleaned up before they spewed venom at our adversaries. And… I’m sure that most who read this post will probably feel the same about the American White Knights and myself. Be that as it may, I quickly began making enemies with members of most popular Klan organizations (unintentionally). They didn’t like my way of doing things, and they surely didn’t care what I thought spiritually. I began questioning some of the higher echelon members about their religious beliefs, and not one could offer any scriptural reasoning or justification for membership within the KKK.

This bothered me greatly. Soon, I found myself answering scriptural questions of many. Before long, my mind was spending more time in scripture than it had ever been exposed to! People wanted answers. I didn’t have them. It wasn’t long before questions from others made me realize my calling.

I will never know “all the answers” as long as I’m still on this earth, but with God’s continued support – I will continue to learn more and more each day.

I’m no longer a member of the Primitive Baptist church – I spoke of earlier. Most churches (people) have become too liberal minded (spiritually) to really understand anything God would have them to know. Instead, most go to church (today) for reasons other than those of God.

Thank you for listening.

In Christ’s Name, and for His sake – alone,

Elder JJ Harper, IW

AWKKKK, Inc.

I served with the Army for one year in Iraq. An opportuity arose to minister in a church there but the Army required me to be ordained. A decade ago I trained for the ministry with the SDA church. Not currently ordaind or affiliated with an organization tat could expedite an ordination I chose the ULC ordination. Since returning I also performed a marriage for a soldier.

Guest Gluscushawk

I became a ordained minister with the Universal Life Church, because I believe mortals are called to Christ's ministry by Christ. Christ does not require a four year degree at a seminary school. Education is always good for the individual, but it is not necessary to preach the gospel of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Jesus, did not select the educated scholars of the time to be his 12 apostles, he picked tax collectors, fisherman, unlearned mortals, etc. Why, because when you preach the gospel of Jesus Christ, not adding or subtracting anything from the word of God, the Holy Spirit will teach you what you need to say or know, when the time comes. The Universal Life Church, asks only that we be honest and true to ourselves and helpful to our brothers and sisters.

Since, I have been ordained, I have mostly officiated at funerals, now I would not have picked this way to serve, but this must be my calling at the time. To serve and give comfort to those that mourn. I have been told several times that I have the Holy Spirit guiding me in my funeral sermons, and I usually get asked where I went to school, when I tell them I did not attend a seminary, most are surprised, and I feel they think I am joking. But, I pray and give myself to the Holy Spirit, who knows all, and helps us when needed.

I say all this to show that the Universal Life Church is doing a service to the mortals of this earth, male and female, with no rejection because of ones race, sex, education level, sexual orientation, or religious beliefs.

God Bless and keep the Universal Life Church,

Reverend Dennis William Hawkins

Unicorporated Jefferson County, Colorado

Gluscushawk-at-Comcast.Net

I became ordained mainly to assist with debriefing Volunteer Emergency response Communications officers.

as a Divisional Commander (still) I find it was a good move.

I can now often get to what is troubling them after the offical debrief by changing Hats so to speak.

When things are bad and the only contact with the outside world is the comms officers they are under a lot of strain, without really knowing what is happening other than the messages they pass.

A large part of moving on, after bad experiences is being able to talk about it

in a neutral situation.

Also I have found that it was the right choice, as I am also able to be an ear for, and able to support spiritually some of the people in the community most affected.

Wow talk about honest. I'm very impressed. Very cool when someone is openly honest.

Hello. My name is Carl Kem and I was ordained on Dec. 28th, 2002 (might be 2003).

My reasons are simple- for so long I have searched in vain for a church that is a true chuch of God. havn't we all searched for that? I was raised LDS and was a member for 23 years. I bounced from church to church- methodist, baptist, southern baptist, independant baptist, independant couthern baptist, consevative southern baptist (I honestly feel there are more different sects of southern baptist than there are recipes for southern fired chicken), catholic, jehovah's witness's, church of Christ, lutheran, presyberterian, I ain't kidding when i say the list could go on. So many churches, but for what reason? All a matter of this man feels this way and that man feels that way, and if this man sees you're a member of that man's church you're now going to hell, and when that man sees you as a member of this man's church, he will knock on your door until you answer and account to him WHY you made such a choice. Is that what God wanted? I don't think so.

When I came to ULC, I did so out of desperation. I wanted an answer damnit and I'm going to get it!!! And get it I did. The answer, to me, is not what is in a church, because there are so many of them if there was one true church, the rest would quickly fall away. Instead it is within your heart. Who is God to you, and how do you beleive in him? Maybe to you He is a Goddess. Or perhaps to you He is your Spiritual Brother. Ultimately who He is is up to you, and no man, or woman for that matter, has any right to say otherwise.

I have been attacked for my beliefs. The Clerk of Court in several counties in several states refused to accept my faith. The state says that to be a church you must have articles of incorporation and a 501c3 status from the IRS. I have been told that unless I adhere to the state laws, I cannot have a church. Well, here I am several years later, and while I have no congregation (I have 2 others that listen to my sermons), the state has yet to interfere.

So who is God to me? What is my faith?

My faith is COSMOS. Friends have made jokes of the name. One even called it the "Church Of Sleeping More On Sunday". Though my favorite joke is "Constantly Offending Socialists Mormons Ogres & Numbskulls". But is that it? No, it's not. It's far from that.

God is the Maker of all. He made the Earth we live on. He made the skies that are above us. He made the waters as deep as they are and the fish and creatures within. He made the mountains, as tall and grand as they may be, with all the glorious fine works of His art all across this blessed planet. He made the stars and the planets, the nebuli and the galaxies as large and beautiful as they are, and He made the ominous black holes that swallow galaxies by the dozens. He made the fine works such as Mt. McKinley, and those are terrible and fearsome as Mt. Pinatubo or Mt. St. Helens. All with important lessons within them all, all showing the might that He has.

Even with that said, I beleive that while He does have these magnificent powers, there is much that He does not do. He does not interfere in stopping the multitude of crimes that happen. Why should He? They are lessons, they are opportunities, for us and for those that commit them. We can be disturbed by the actions of a murderer, and rightfully so. But that murderer also has the choice given to him by God to change. He ahs the choice of murdering again or coming before Jesus seeking forgiveness and asking for help.

These are the many chances that God gives us all. We will always have these opportunities. Maybe we choose wrong and we pay for it. Maybe slightly and perhaps dearly. But in the end He always has His door open to us, so we may choose, shall we stay or shall we go. shall we stay in His company and seek repentance and forgiveness for our many sins, or shall we go and walk the lonely road of life into the pits of hell?

So in closing, the Universal Church of COSMOS is just that- in celebration of the universal creations God has made. For us and for others. We have no special books of scripture, because the Holy Bible, new and old testaments, is sufficent. There is one God. One Jesus. One Holy Ghost. They are all one but they are all still the same. The Father, the Son and the Spirit.

You may loose your religion. I have. But I never lost God, and He has never lost me.

Maybe another day I will write more on this. I certainly look forward to it.

Respectfully,

Rev. C. Kem

I haven't been on the forum for a long time. One of the reasons it that I forgot my password either that or the forum wasn't working correctly. This morning I got the newsletter and thought that I'd try and log on and respond to this thread so here I am.

I was ordained on January 9th 2004 and finely performed my first wedding ceremony this last October 15th, 2005.

I offer my services at no charge and I'm pretty much referred through friends and it looks like I have two more weddings coming up next year.

I deal with a lot of people that are into Cars (Hot Rods) Motorcycles and clubs that are associated with the hobby etc.

I appear at several automotive and motorcycle charity events each year. I am directly involved with most of these shows and oversee charity auctions and other fund raisers for the underprivileged. A lot of these shows are presented on sundays and I would like to be able to offer short services, opening and closing prayer and blessings if asked.

I belong to 4 different clubs and associations one club that I belong to called the "Early Riders". Currently we have over 100 members. I am the youngest at the age of 48. The majority of my club brothers and sisters are my senior of 15-20 years of age. Our members lived pretty ruff and tumble lives back in the 50's and 60's what I refer to as the survivors. There are a good many of them that are now experiencing the trials and tribulations of age.

On and off we end up with members in the hospital, and recently we have had a few pass away. We also just have had a couples that get married!

Some of these these people are God Fearing and that of the Christian faith. However many of them are not linked with any specific church, either that or they are pretty much agnostic. My goal is not to start a church but to offer services of confront and joy and advise to those in need of spiritual healing and confirmation of their faith what ever that may be.

Even though my faith lies with Christ I have never been able to agree with any church. I am not a fundamentalist. I have a very open mind and so therefore through out the years when trying to join a church I've always bumped heads with other members.

Christian fundamentalist may say that I am one that is luke warm, only to find out that I am red hot.

I am one of those types that associate God, Christ and other spiritual entities as pure energy beings and therefore consider them in the form of extraterrestrial not of this world.

I believe that God or (gods) created our universe. (Big Bang?)

Our bodies are carbon based the same as all physical elements that make up the universe, so therefore man was created by God. We run off of electromagnetic fields or electricity. The brain stimulates the physical

components with of the body with electrical signals. The mind and soul are completely separate components that are composed of pure energy.

In short I believe that God and Christ have nothing to do with a specific church. Belief is not found in a church is found within oneself and the personal relationship that you have with them which can be found

through spiritual meditation or prayer.

I was baptized a Methodist, raised as a catholic, have studied religion of all types and even practiced what I called white witchcraft as a young adult to find out later it was referred to as Wicca. I still practice methods of Wicca today because as a belief it is very diversified and seems to mostly be free from fundamentalist rule. I will have to admitt however that there are a few things even with Wicca that I don't agree which mostly has to do with the way it's founder confirms a Wiccan. I was bound to a Wiccan for 7 years and we seemed to get along just fine during that time. Unfortunately we are no longer together but that had nothing to do with our spiritual beliefs.

My beliefs are very deep and can be somewhat confusing. So I am currently working on a web area for the general public that will testify to my beliefs and will post when I feel more comfortable about it so folks can get a better understanding of who I am.

To keep it simple I am here for the good of all and only for good and for those who seek my services in faith whatever faith that may be.

I am really very grateful that I have been led to this group and the ULC. And look forward to the future.

Once again thanx to all.... Rev. Moldy / J.W. Hillinger

A.K.A. the Moldy one

• Amulet locked, featured and unpinned this topic