New Guitar

Verisoph

I got a new guitar last week! This week, I've got sore fingers and a new song to go along with it. If you'd like to hear the new song on the new guitar, just click the link below to download. Sorry, I don't have any way to upload the experience of sore fingers for you... although, if you're really interested, you could try extinguishing cigarettes on the tips of your fingers....

As for the song, it's kind of a meditative, new agey number. It's an mp3 in a zip file, so you'll have to download it and unzip it to play it. It's a little over 3 mb, which means that even on a dial-up connection, it shouldn't take too awful long to download.

Of course, comments, criticisms, etc are welcome.

Click Here To Download - secondsnowfall.zip

:whist:

Thanks.

It's an Alvarez AD70SC

Acoustic/electric, dreadnought with a cutaway - used. I got it off eBay for less than half the price of a new one. I really don't like the idea of buying a guitar that I haven't tried first, but in this case it worked out great - I couldn't have picked out a guitar more suited to my playing style - not within my price range, anyway.

That's a beautiful instrument. Congrats again.

I'd be really weird about buying an guitar w/out playing it, but I've also being hanging out a www.warmoth.com fantasising about building my own 'ultimate' guitar. And cruising e-bay ...

So, what else (guitar-wise) you got?

That's a beautiful instrument. Congrats again.

Thanks.

I'd be really weird about buying an guitar w/out playing it, but I've also being hanging out a www.warmoth.com fantasising about building my own 'ultimate' guitar. And cruising e-bay ...

Yeah, I wouldn't have bought a guitar without trying it first were it not for the fact that hurricane Katrina wiped out or shut down all the music shops and most of the pawn shops in the area... and I was wanting a steel sting guitar very badly.

warmoth.com - that's cool!

So, what else (guitar-wise) you got?

Alvarez classical/electric

Gibson Epiphone semi-hollow body electric

B. C. Rich electric

And you?

I'm more of an electric guy -

79' Gibson Les Paul Custom

mid 80's Fender Tele (it's a weird one, 3 pickups [h/s/s] whammy bar, pearl white finish w/ black neck. Made in Japan... I've never seen another one like it.)

Mid 80's (I think) Hamer standard - It's got a black on white 'graph paper' finish remeniscent of Cheap Trick

Early 70's Hangstrum, not sure of the model. I refinished it and changed all the electronics when I first got it in the mid 70's. If I had left it the way it was it probably would be worth something now. )

The only acoustic I own is a Washburn CE something or other. I'm kinda embarassed that I don't know the model :blush: Straight acoustic, no electronics, but I have a Seymour Duncan pickup for it, that I've never used. I've been meaning to put it to more use. It's not the best player, but it sounded better to me than most of the other guitars I was playing that day and was $100 + cheaper, probably because it was made off-shore. Full sounding, I guess I'd call it 'brash'. Not terribly sweet or sophisticated, but neither is my playing :lol:

I play mostly 'old school progressive' type stuff. Oddly, I don't seem to have any audio samples 'out there'. Still, there's these two sites

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=glance&s=music

and

www.snarkattack.com

BTW, I liked Second Snowfall. It really smoothed out my mood today at work (IT Help Desk type job). Funny how style designations change. You called this 'New Age'. Fifty years ago it would have been 'Lite Classical' perhaps.

How did you record it?

I'm more of an electric guy -

79' Gibson Les Paul Custom

mid 80's Fender Tele (it's a weird one, 3 pickups [h/s/s] whammy bar, pearl white finish w/ black neck. Made in Japan... I've never seen another one like it.)

Mid 80's (I think) Hamer standard - It's got a black on white 'graph paper' finish remeniscent of Cheap Trick

Early 70's Hangstrum, not sure of the model. I refinished it and changed all the electronics when I first got it in the mid 70's. If I had left it the way it was it probably would be worth something now. )

Yum! Nice collection of guitars!

Telecaster with three pickups, including a humbucker, that IS a rarity. Do you think it's a custom job?

I do a lot with electricity myself. My B.C. Rich is a solid body electric with a Floyd Rose whammy.

The only acoustic I own is a Washburn CE something or other. I'm kinda embarassed that I don't know the model :blush: Straight acoustic, no electronics, but I have a Seymour Duncan pickup for it, that I've never used. I've been meaning to put it to more use. It's not the best player, but it sounded better to me than most of the other guitars I was playing that day and was $100 + cheaper, probably because it was made off-shore. Full sounding, I guess I'd call it 'brash'. Not terribly sweet or sophisticated, but neither is my playing :lol:

I've played some really nice sounding Washburns, I even owned a Washburn resonator (dobro style guitar) at one time. It ended up in a pawn shop. :(

I play mostly 'old school progressive' type stuff. Oddly, I don't seem to have any audio samples 'out there'. Still, there's these two sites

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=glance&s=music

and

www.snarkattack.com

I'd love to hear some samples, but my browser doesn't handle streaming audio very well.

BTW, I liked Second Snowfall. It really smoothed out my mood today at work (IT Help Desk type job). Funny how style designations change. You called this 'New Age'. Fifty years ago it would have been 'Lite Classical' perhaps.

How did you record it?

Thank you. I was pretty careful to call it "New Agey." I guess because when I listened to it, it sounded reminiscent of some of William Ackerman's stuff. He's the owner of Windham Hill, one of the original New Age labels. "Lite Classical" works too, the intro and outro parts are sort of a very loose variation on a theme by Bach.

I ran the output of my guitar through a preamp and straight into my PC. I used Steinberg's Wavelab to record it, and I added some EQ and chorus, built into Wavelab, after it was recorded. I would have gotten much better results with a mic, but the only mic I had thinks that the sound of my air conditioner is the most important sound in the room - and it was too hot to turn off the AC.

I've since purchased a Shure SM-58 microphone (also from eBay). I'm getting GREAT results with it. It picks up all the harmonics, overtones, and nuances of an acoustic guitar, and it doesn't pick up anything that isn't close to it... like my AC.

Edited by Verisoph