Clergy Apparel - How To Get Dressed To Worship & Minister

After wading through all of the clerical clothing websites and having heart palpatations at the prices,I have decided to

get to work doing some sewing for myself. I even hate the stoles that I have seen. Since I am also wiccan, I plan to make my own stoles

with symbology that means something to me rather than the usual christian themes.

I have been taking notes and think that I can get by with a few stoles over a royal blue robe for ceremony,and a plain black suit with a blue

clerical blouse for places where I want to be more professional.

Here is what I have come up with so far.

Rainbow stole for same sex comittments

White stole with silver celtic knotwork circles for weddings

Green stole with gold thread tree of life

Black for funeral with silver celtic crosses

I plan to put the triple goddess symbol on the back at my neckline

What do you think ??

Rev. Colleen Mills

Kansas

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After wading through all of the clerical clothing websites and having heart palpatations at the prices,I have decided to

get to work doing some sewing for myself. I even hate the stoles that I have seen. Since I am also wiccan, I plan to make my own stoles

with symbology that means something to me rather than the usual christian themes.

I have been taking notes and think that I can get by with a few stoles over a royal blue robe for ceremony,and a plain black suit with a blue

clerical blouse for places where I want to be more professional.

Here is what I have come up with so far.

Rainbow stole for same sex comittments

White stole with silver celtic knotwork circles for weddings

Green stole with gold thread tree of life

Black for funeral with silver celtic crosses

I plan to put the triple goddess symbol on the back at my neckline

What do you think ??

Rev. Colleen Mills

Kansas

I like your idea but I would also include a reddish hue clerical blouse to the list, especially if dealing with a same sex comittments.

• 3 months later...

I like your idea but I would also include a reddish hue clerical blouse to the list, especially if dealing with a same sex comittments.

They all sound good. Azure Green has an interdenominational stole for about $45 dollars, but I have done basically the same thing you have. I made my own vestments when I was an Episcopalian, now as a Pagan I do the same. You can make a very nice and inexpensive clerical shirt by using a standard 'man collar' shirt and ripping the top portion of the collar off-leave the band. Clerical collars have a button in the front that fits through the button holes ( remove the button on the placket band and make another hole-line them up to use the button.) There is also a back button that fits through a button hole at the rear of the neck band and over laps the white collar. You can avoid the whole problem by making your own collar out of linen fabric and attacking it with snaps or Velcro.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

As long as the ink is not in contradiction to the collar (I would question an image of satan on someone wearing a collar for the more or less obvious reason), the bias is on the other person. For me, depending on the size and image, it might be distracting, but I would not judge your credibility as clergy based on it unless it was something that killed your credibility. Even then, I would probably give you benefit of doubt, because otherwise I would not allow you the possibility that your life changed since the tattoo was placed.

Yup, they do. Actually, even though I don't have ink, I find I am taken more seriously at a hospital visit in long sleeves than in short, when that is the only variable on my collared shirt. I guess that is just what they are more used to seeing.

I am a Kemetic High Priestess, I have three different cafthans.

I have a black and Gold one that I wear when I am teaching the lower priestess, as it is a sign of my office. I have a Hunter Green and Gold when I am out on business for the Temple. The last one is white and gold, I wear that for hoildays, feasts and festivals.

Another thing that is a sign of my faith is my collar, I have a collar that I wear, make of lapis and gold. It is on whenever I am doing again thing for the Temple and in my Office. :)

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Eloah,

I do so very much want to be recognized as a Minister and appear as highly approachable, by any and all.

I intend to not be classically formal and really try a mash up of various simple things, becoming simply recognizable and steeped in symbolism and metaphor.

I'm not yet thought through this but must get a good start and look at Coast Guard Search and Rescue Dauphin orange and orange pilots and crew flightsuits for "the threads".

Starting with an orange jump/flight suit, I will build out my attire, the special celebratory attire and also have an everyday designation type apparel marker to keep all aware that Clergy is right next to you.

That might just be a baseball cap embroidered with Clergy with symbols on it as a statement to those seeking a good council.

nasa-spacesuits-history-04-670x440-13050

574737main_elmo-zero-g_xltn.jpg

https://www.google.com/search?q=orange+flight+suit&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7NDKB_enUS557

https://www.google.com/search?q=orange%20flight%20suit&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7NDKB_enUS557&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=sCl_UvDBMeadjALrxYDYBQ

:angel1:

Edited by RayCalculaMinistraDeGezza
  • 2 weeks later...

I got my Black Tabbed shirt from the local Family Christian store (they have locations all across the US in addition to their website http://www.familychristian.com/), though I could also have gotten it at the Michigan Church Supply (www.michiganchurchsupply.com) store, there is one locally to me in Mt. Morris (the Flint area) and another (not local at all) in Grand Rapids.

As for my stole(s), I will be purchasing that/them from here at ULC.net along with the Clergy badge and some other items. Still trying to price out a source for a Pulpit Robe.

• 2 months later...
  • Amulet featured and unpinned this topic
  • Amulet locked this topic