Clergy Apparel - How To Get Dressed To Worship & Minister

Sorry I never followed up on this post.. my hunt ended finally! Sadly now that this topic has become active, I can't recall the web site of where I got this stole. It was a college and I ordered it from their online bookstore and now I can't even find it on google.. as soon as I do find it, I'll let everyone know. In the meantime, here's a pic of me and the 2 brides.. my first same-sex wedding.. 2 of my very best friends and they asked me to officiate and of course I said "i do!" haha

us3.bmp

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
what would you suggest if you lean twards unitarian universalist or wiccan for clergy dress?

As a Wiccan ArchPriest I have a few different style of robes that I wear. I'm actually in the process of having a new one made for Beltane 2007, this is when I usually break out my new robes. I prefer ones that are open front from halfway down the top has a breast plate that covers my shoulders as well. If you look at my profile I'm wearing it in my picture. That is my older one. My newer one is red, ivory, and gold. I am a little tired of the black and gold. Some of my other members loved my robe so much that they had similiar ones created for them. Next will be stoles for the 2008 year to match our robes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As a Druid we tend to wear white robes in our ceremonies, white being the universal colour and of spirituality, and besides, you cant tell a persons social standing if we all dress alike in similiar robes, such was the wisdom of the Round Table at Camelot first proposed by Merlin, the Arch-Mage of Britain, to create equality, none is above the other in the eyes of God (or Goddess)

These we either make ourselves, get someone to make them for us, for we hunt out likely robes from the High Street. Some of my robes i have obtained from Charity shops, others i have got from other places, or have been given. Some white nightdresses also make good Druid robes for the ladies, as well! Also for the ladies, a plain long white dress can be used

Because it can get quite cold at Druid ceremonies in Britain, depending on what time of day or year the ceremony is performed, we also tend to wear cloaks with a Celtic style brooch to keep the cloak pinned. This is primarily to keep us warm, as it can get freezing if you are standing for any length of time (some ceremonies at Stonehenge, such as the Solstices and Equinoxes, can be in the early hours for example)

Some Pagans over here also tend to wear velvet robes or medieval style ones, i have some lovely style Gothic dresses that i have managed to obtain in my size (i'm a size 18 over here) from 'Alternative Clothing' outlets, and there are also Middle Eastern style coloured cotton robes or kaftans that can be used. Some of these i have got from Charity shops, or from different shops and catalogues

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes, I've noticed a trend ... blue instead of purple... in catalogs, etc. You can order some nice vestments and Advent items in blue instead of purple. I guess the best thing to do is make sure everything matches! If you wear a blue stole, make sure you have blue Advent candles! (And vice-versa!)

And like I read earlier in the topic, for rainbow vestments, etc., which can be expensive, eBay, etc., has them at a good price from time to time. Just shop around!

Peace,

Paul

Edited by revpaulwerner
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am a ULC minister, and have been for a number of years now. When I do wedding ceremonies, I give the couple a choice of outfits. I have a tan dress suit, a dark blue one, and a shorter, black and tan outfit. However, for those requiring something a bit more clerical, I have a white robe with black scrollwork down it, which looks very "ministerial", which I picked up (of all places) in an Indian dress shop in New Hope, PA. I think I paid about $20.00 USD for it. I also have a medieval style gown for theme weddings and Handfastings.

Personally, I'm fond of the one I just got: the magic dress. http://www.themagicdress.com/

It's pricey, but worth it, because it's so versatile. I wear it with a stole, to look more ministerial. I can wear it "Roman style" for Handfastings or theme weddings. I will be wearing it with a patterned shawl for a civil ceremony in July. Wonderful stuff... worth every penny I paid (about $120 USD).

For those who would do Handfastings skyclad... I hope it's summer, or indoors! ;) I've done one skyclad Handfasting, and it was a blast (I'm pagan myself, so it wasn't anything strange for me).

• 3 months later...
I don't mean to sound stupid here but I'm a little bit confused after reading about when to wear what color of stole. Could some explain it in lamen's terms?

Just a guess for White and Green.

White: Weddings, Funerals, and Holidays

Green: Casual

Some of us come from catholic backgrounds, and some of us are independent catholic priests. :) The colors are:

Purple: Lent (The 40 days before Easter), Advent (the 4 weeks before Christmas), to hear confessions, and when you're surving communion in a hospital.

Red: During Holy Week, Pentecost Sunday (when we believe the Holy Spirit descended on the disciples), for ordinations, and at a mass that celebrates the death of a martyr.

White: During the 12 days of Christmas, the 50 days of Easter, for funerals, weddings, on Trinity Sunday, and Epiphany Day

Green: Pretty much whenever you can't wear the other colors. Basically, its the Sundays after Epiphany Day and before Ash Wednesday and after Pentecost and before Advent.

Hope this helps. :)

Pax,

Sr. Sue+

Some protestant and "undeclared" paths also use blue stoles on weekdays or for house calls for times when green would normally be used, but one is either not in the church/chapel or the setting is less formal than a Sunday service. When I was growing up, the local clergy referred to those occasion as "common time" or "common days."

• 3 months later...

My mom taught me sewing and I enjoy creating unique pieces of clothing. Going through a fabric shop with all the various types of fabric, ie., light and middle weight cottons, woven and knit synthetics, satin brocades, woolens, suiting, etc., is a feast for the eyes and fingertips. Since my personal style is relaxed and comfortable I have designed a "robe-like" piece of apparel for ritual use that is based somewhat on a modified kimono robe (or a Yukatabira). Some are made from light cotton sateen, and some are made from lovely Chinese satin brocade. I use any left over pieces for altar cloths and stoles.

• 1 month later...
I've been trying to find rainbow vestments basically for gay clergy.. collars, neckbands, whatever. It's been a difficult task to say the least. Not all of us subscribe to wearing only one color for a certain time of a religious cycle.

My hunt continues...

This place has two stoles. It is only a stole, but it looks pretty cool and all encompassing.

http://www.dancingsilk.com/stoles.html

Dear Fellow ULC Ordained Ministers

I need to ask , am in Western Australia,

How can I start to begin to gather together a Church community and fellowship for worship

ULC Ordination is not recognised in Australia,

wish someone would get it registered with Attorney Generals Dept. Why cant ULC HQ do this?. They have good lawyers I take it?.

Am so sick and tired of people saying ULC ordinations are not valid or credible.

I love this church of ULC.

I love th motto, and the credo.

I love the fact that we are all accountable for our actions,

I love the fact that I believe that The Holy Spirit and God have called me to Ministry.

I do not fit into any of the other churches as they have such fizxed rigidity and dogmas which I think are mostly anti women and anti gays etc, and I just dont agree with that philosophy of exclusionism.

I welcome all to teh Table of Our Lord.

i blieve that I am guided to Ministry.

I have bought all my own vestments, catholic red and white ones, albs, chasuble and vestments but was angry I had payed so much- 1000 dollars at least, which to my way of thinking is outrageous.

I have thus decided to buy some patterns and using low cost materials as a ministry, make low cost vestments only for us in ULC too.

I love this church and am very very proud to be Ordained here in ULC no matter what anyone says I believe it is God inspired called and recognised by God almighty,

Can we in ULC in Australia organise something to form a unified ULC HQ here or something here for ULC members in Oz.

Reverend Tess McNamara Western Australia :thumbu::coffee::smart::rolleyes:

Dear Fellow ULC Ordained Ministers

I need to ask , am in Western Australia,

How can I start to begin to gather together a Church community and fellowship for worship

ULC Ordination is not recognised in Australia,

wish someone would get it registered with Attorney Generals Dept. Why cant ULC HQ do this?. They have good lawyers I take it?.

Am so sick and tired of people saying ULC ordinations are not valid or credible.

I love this church of ULC.

I love th motto, and the credo.

I love the fact that we are all accountable for our actions,

I love the fact that I believe that The Holy Spirit and God have called me to Ministry.

I do not fit into any of the other churches as they have such fizxed rigidity and dogmas which I think are mostly anti women and anti gays etc, and I just dont agree with that philosophy of exclusionism.

I welcome all to teh Table of Our Lord.

i blieve that I am guided to Ministry.

I have bought all my own vestments, catholic red and white ones, albs, chasuble and vestments but was angry I had payed so much- 1000 dollars at least, which to my way of thinking is outrageous.

I have thus decided to buy some patterns and using low cost materials as a ministry, make low cost vestments only for us in ULC too.

I love this church and am very very proud to be Ordained here in ULC no matter what anyone says I believe it is God inspired called and recognised by God almighty,

Can we in ULC in Australia organise something to form a unified ULC HQ here or something here for ULC members in Oz.

Reverend Tess McNamara Western Australia :thumbu::coffee::smart::rolleyes:

Hi Rev. Tess! Wow! If you start making low cost vestments, let me know. I'm also an independent catholic priest, and am in need of vestments. Right now, I have an alb and a clerical shirt and collar. I believe in simplicity. Personally, I can't imagine Jesus running around in those heavily brocaded chasubles I've seen in the catalogs. And you're right, they are outrageously priced. So I just keep it simple. :) Anyway, let me know if you do start making vestments. You just might have a customer here. :)

Pax,

Sr. Sue +

• Amulet featured and unpinned this topic
  • Amulet locked this topic