Clergy Apparel - How To Get Dressed To Worship & Minister

The following info comes from this site..

http://www.kencollins.com/how-10.htm

Ken Collins put alot of time and effort into this site. It's refrence link has a lot of useful info in it that should be on any Ministery site to help the up and coming minister learn what they need to do. I give it two thumbs up take a look below:

When to Wear Which Stole

Red

Wear your red stole at Holy Week services, on Pentecost, at ordinations, and on services that commemorate the death of a Christian martyr.

White

Wear your white stole during the twelve days of Christmas, during the fifty days of Easter, at funerals, and at weddings. Wear it at any service that celebrates a secular holiday, and on certain special days, such as Epiphany Day, the Baptism of our Lord (which is the Sunday after the Epiphany), on Trinity Sunday, and All Saints Sunday. You can wear a small, white “portable stole†over your regular clothes when ministering to people in the presence of the deceased, or when conducting a funeral when full vestments are not practical for some reason.

Purple

Wear your purple stole during Lent and Advent. You can wear a small, purple “portable stole†over your regular clothes when hearing confessions (in Lutheran and Anglican churches), when conducting a counseling session (which is the same thing for the rest of us), and when administering Communion in the hospital.

Green

Wear your green stole whenever none of the above colors applies, mainly after Epiphany Day but before Ash Wednesday, and after Pentecost Sunday but before the first Sunday of Advent.

Use these color guidelines for chasubles, too.

Copyright ©1995-2005 by the Rev. Kenneth W. Collins and his licensors. All rights reserved. You can get permission to use this material. You can also write to Ken.

This just a sampling of some of the info you can find on line if you are serious about doing ministery work and performing certain services using the Catholic or Prestibyters style dress wear.

For most Christian Faith groups many do not wear any type of collars, or stoles when preaching. Many will show that they are a part of the ministery by simply wearing a small lapel style cross pin on the left breast lapel.

There are however many who will were cassocks or robes while preaching or performing weddings. In these cases, then you would reffer to the above color guidelines. The choice is yours. When I first started, I wore street clothes ( suit and tie with pin ). As I became more involved, so did my attire.

Most of my wedding clients ask that I NOT wear any clegical attire at all as they don't want show any signs of "church involvement" faith belief in the wedding.

Remember, you are going to be the closest thing to the only version of the Bible the person may ever read.. so be accurate, authenic, and diplomatic. Know before you Go! If you don't know the subject, learn about it!

A good minister is one who is a great teacher. He teaches by showing those who haven't a clue what to do by doing those things correctly in his or own life. We must remain above reproach but yet remain approachable. Ahhh the useless info one retains from seminary isn't it grand... hehe

Edited by Rev_Hansen
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Thank you sincerely Reverend Hansen, that site has given me a lot of information.

I think it is a well researched one.

Blessings

May God Bless you

Reverend Tess McNamara

Perth Western Australia

I've been trying to find rainbow vestments basically for gay clergy.. collars, neckbands, whatever. It's been a difficult task to say the least. Not all of us subscribe to wearing only one color for a certain time of a religious cycle.

My hunt continues...

• 2 months later...
Thank you sincerely Reverend Hansen, that site has given me a lot of information.

I think it is a well researched one.

Blessings

May God Bless you

Reverend Tess McNamara

Perth Western Australia

I've been trying to find rainbow vestments basically for gay clergy.. collars, neckbands, whatever. It's been a difficult task to say the least. Not all of us subscribe to wearing only one color for a certain time of a religious cycle.

My hunt continues...

Autom has some rainbow stuff. the multicolors are populay with hyspanic people.

• 2 months later...

My hunt continues...

Hello! I know you posted that a while ago now, but I recently did a google image search for vestments and found many multicolored and patterned options. Actually, the black shirt with tab was what I was looking for, and it was the hardest thing to find. Of course, if you or someone you know is the crafty type, there is always the option to buy it white and dye it. Not necessarily tie-dye, but you could look into dying techniques or perhaps find someone willing to do it for you.

I also found the Ken Collins site and found it extremely knowledgable and well made.

God Bless

LittleCryingHawk

Edited by LittleCryingHawk
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

My hunt continues...

I was thinking of making my own stoles. I have a thought out a pattern in my head. I was also going to add some either satin ribbon to the satin stoles in the rainbow colors, or make come cotton stoles and use grosgrain ribbon in rainbow colors. If I can manage to make one for myself for same sex commitment ceremonies I'll post what it looks like and if you'd be interested I could be talked into making more. If anyone is interested.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it depends on what you are comfortable with, and what the parishioners/client are comfy with. If they come from a protestant or wiccan background, your congregation / client might be more comfortable if you wore either a graduation gown and stole, or your street clothes. If your congregation/client are catholic in background, they might prefer a cassock/alb/chasuble and stole.

• Amulet featured and unpinned this topic
  • Amulet locked this topic