Las Vegas Laws

daniel brings

Not wanting to seem like a meaningless bump here, but...

Is there an interest to get a congregation together to get over this hurdle here?

If so I am interested.

edited; sorry, a few typos

I know there are a few of us who would be interested in having a local congregation that we could call our own to get past this. I just don't have the time run down everything needed to do this right now. If you'd like to spearhead the effort, I'll be happy to support.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am currently in Baghdad right now and won't be returning until mid-to-late December, so I am unfortunately not able to spearhead anything right now.

I was really just wondering if there was something being organized that I could join up with when I got back.

Sorry.

Technical question: Does the congregation have to be located in Las Vegas or can it be anywhere in Clark County? (Henderson, Pahrump, Searchlight etc. The idea is out of the high rent area.

The missus used to live in Vegas,(before I met her) remembers what rent was like while trying to live on min wage+tips.

Technical question: Does the congregation have to be located in Las Vegas or can it be anywhere in Clark County? (Henderson, Pahrump, Searchlight etc. The idea is out of the high rent area.

The missus used to live in Vegas,(before I met her) remembers what rent was like while trying to live on min wage+tips.

Anywhere in Clark County is OK, but Pahrump won't work because it's in Nye County. With the housing bust, Vegas is a steal again, if you're looking to buy. If things go well, I may have a place to host a congregation, but won't know for a few day.s If you're in Baghdad, I assume you're in the military. Please be careful over there and come home safe.

• 2 weeks later...
Anywhere in Clark County is OK, but Pahrump won't work because it's in Nye County. With the housing bust, Vegas is a steal again, if you're looking to buy. If things go well, I may have a place to host a congregation, but won't know for a few day.s If you're in Baghdad, I assume you're in the military. Please be careful over there and come home safe.

I am not in the military but am a contractor supporting the military IT infrastructure out here. I will be returning around the 18th of this month though.

I am not in the military but am a contractor supporting the military IT infrastructure out here. I will be returning around the 18th of this month though.

Well that's close enough. Drop me a note when you get home and we can get together and come up with some ideas. Be safe and have a safe trip home.

Not anywhere near Vegas, but I find it somewhat ironic that a place well-known to have 24 hour wedding chapels for "spur of the moment" weddings; has the nickname of "sin city"; and has wedding ceremonies performed by Elvis impersonators; Godfather themed weddings, and even a space alien acting as the Minister; makes it so difficult for a legally ordained minister to perform weddings.

I'm confused :o

Not anywhere near Vegas, but I find it somewhat ironic that a place well-known to have 24 hour wedding chapels for "spur of the moment" weddings; has the nickname of "sin city"; and has wedding ceremonies performed by Elvis impersonators; Godfather themed weddings, and even a space alien acting as the Minister; makes it so difficult for a legally ordained minister to perform weddings.

I'm confused :o

One would think, but most of those ministers are associated with "traditional" churches here in Las Vegas. I talked to Modesto and they even said that Clark County is the most difficult county in the country when it comes to licensing ministers. My guess, it's job protection. This is still a city with a deep "Good Old Boy" network.

well, and since it's like that they want to keep the mail-order ministers from setting up business just to marry people. if you are a functioning minister with a active congregation you will have no problem here. also, as a minister I can't run a marriage business on my own.

Edited by FrCorey

Clark County; this is the same bunch that married a drunk Britney Spears for her marathon 55 hour marriage to her high school friend...maybe if they screened the licensing for the actual marriage applicants with as much scrutiny as they do the Ministry performing the marriages; such silliness would not occur.

So...everyone in Vegas; get together, form a congregation and you too can marry someone dressed up as an alien, Marilyn Monroe, Elvis Presley or as Mr. Magoo. Wow!

Clark County; this is the same bunch that married a drunk Britney Spears for her marathon 55 hour marriage to her high school friend...maybe if they screened the licensing for the actual marriage applicants with as much scrutiny as they do the Ministry performing the marriages; such silliness would not occur.

So...everyone in Vegas; get together, form a congregation and you too can marry someone dressed up as an alien, Marilyn Monroe, Elvis Presley or as Mr. Magoo. Wow!

yeah, like we really need more fat sweaty elvi...

yeah, like we really need more fat sweaty elvi...

bahahaahahahahahaha :thumbu:

I guess to me it seems very ridiculous that they are THAT over the top stringent about the "ministry licensing" and have it be so flip at the same time. Ahhh...the hypocrisy, you just gotta love it.

Me personally, I'm going to move to Vegas; start a congregation and start marrying people dressed as Minnie Mouse. :jest:

I guess to me it seems very ridiculous that they are THAT over the top stringent about the "ministry licensing" and have it be so flip at the same time. Ahhh...the hypocrisy, you just gotta love it.

Me personally, I'm going to move to Vegas; start a congregation and start marrying people dressed as Minnie Mouse. :jest:

scary thing is, after they get your state paperwork, they don't even want to see your church paperwork. I offered to make copys of mine and they said no thanks. all they need is thier paperwork.... I could have had my brother fill out my papers.

Well that's governemnt for you. But I don't follow the "flip" and "hypocracy" part of it. So what if someone dresses like Elvis or gets married at 2:00 am? Or should there be a six-month waiting period with scheduled counceling sessions every other week at 5:00 pm to see if the happy couple is compatible?

So can I start a congregation; start marrying people at two in the morning, dressed as Minnie Mouse; but before I perform the marriage, have them pull the lever on a slot machine and if it comes up 3 lemons, refuse to perform the ceromony because the Gods of Vegas feel that the marriage is not right at this time; so come back when you hit 3 jackpots...keep putting money in the slot machine until your marriage certificate comes out...BAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH!!!

So can I start a congregation; start marrying people at two in the morning, dressed as Minnie Mouse; but before I perform the marriage, have them pull the lever on a slot machine and if it comes up 3 lemons, refuse to perform the ceromony because the Gods of Vegas feel that the marriage is not right at this time; so come back when you hit 3 jackpots...keep putting money in the slot machine until your marriage certificate comes out...BAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH!!!

Actually, the "offical" marriage certificate doesn't show up for several weeks. The rest of your post is pretty dead-on. :wacko:

accually, we hand the couple the wedding certificate right there.

accually, we hand the couple the wedding certificate right there.

Let me rephrase that. The legal, certified copy comes a few weeks later. Not much can be done without the certified copy that's recorded in the Clark County Recorders Office.