Las Vegas Laws

daniel brings

I am finding it very difficult to legally perform a wedding here in Las Vegas...the laws are strange...it says I have to be a part of an active church to get the license...spoke with Andre

at ULC headquarters and he confirms this...do you or anyone you know have someone I might contact to help me?

I find it hard to believe that Elvis and Marilyn Monroe down at the strip drive thru chapels have congregations.

thank you

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am finding it very difficult to legally perform a wedding here in Las Vegas...the laws are strange...it says I have to be a part of an active church to get the license...spoke with Andre

at ULC headquarters and he confirms this...do you or anyone you know have someone I might contact to help me?

I find it hard to believe that Elvis and Marilyn Monroe down at the strip drive thru chapels have congregations.

thank you

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeap, like james brown says, you gotsta gotsta have it!

they won't even ask to see any offical church documents, but you have to have a physical congregation. I have a permit here and had to jump thru some big hoops. thank god I am catholic and had one of my bishops do those parts of the forms.

• 1 year later...
yeap, like james brown says, you gotsta gotsta have it!

they won't even ask to see any offical church documents, but you have to have a physical congregation. I have a permit here and had to jump thru some big hoops. thank god I am catholic and had one of my bishops do those parts of the forms.

So, is it possible to obtain a temporary certificate of permission for Las Vegas if you're already ordained with ULC but live permanently outside of Nevada (California) and am only needing to perform one marriage there?

(I found the application here: http://www.co.clark.nv.us/CLERK/pdf/Minist...p%20Package.pdf)

Edited by calbrian

• 8 months later...

:huh:

So.....is it true that if you live in Las Vegas, and want to perform a wedding, you can not legally do it?

But, if you live out of state, you can perform a wedding?

If thats true, how messed up is that!!!!!

Edited by amy

:huh:

So.....is it true that if you live in Las Vegas, and want to perform a wedding, you can not legally do it?

But, if you live out of state, you can perform a wedding?

If thats true, how messed up is that!!!!!

no, I live here and have a NV permit.

you just have to have a functioning church here to get one.

Thats discrimination against anyone who is against organized religion or atheists.

yep, people have been complaining for decades. the marriage business is a racket out here. thats why I had to go thru my catholic ordination, they wouldn't dare say no to the catholic church.

great thing is, my ULC studies counted towards my studies for seminary,

then 2 years of seminary and poof, I am a catholic priest.

my ULC studies cut years off of my seminary studies.

• 4 weeks later...
Thats discrimination against anyone who is against organized religion or atheists.

So maybe we need to start a congregation of people who are against organized religion or atheists, so those of us who don't have a regular congregation can have a place to call home, just to get by idiodic laws.

So maybe we need to start a congregation of people who are against organized religion or atheists, so those of us who don't have a regular congregation can have a place to call home, just to get by idiodic laws.

I suggested this years ago, no one ever was interested.

How could something like this be "organized"? I'm all for getting a group of like minded people together, but how can it be done? Do we need a brick and morter place? or could it be on the net?

Just a cuppla questions.

Rev. Mike

How could something like this be "organized"? I'm all for getting a group of like minded people together, but how can it be done? Do we need a brick and morter place? or could it be on the net?

Just a cuppla questions.

Rev. Mike

a ULC minister has to have a congregation here, whether they meet in a rented place or someones house. even 3 ministers meeting together once a month somewhere.

Any idea what that would entail? I'd be happy to go through the directory and e-mail everyone to see if they'd be interested in meeting, but I don't have to time to ramrod making that happen.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm thinking that you could use a Video Conference to get past these rules. I know the local county uses video conferencing when they hold meetings because the county is so large. That should be enuff to refer to when asked about a congregation getting together !

Edited by Friar Timothy

• 10 months later...