Recommended: Philosophical/other

• 6 months later...

I recently finished reading "The Jesus Dynasty" [iSBN-13:978-0-7394-7508-9] by James D. Tabor. The book is centered on the search of the historical Jesus and His family. Much of the author's work is based upon archeological research and scriptural comparisons. I found the book to be very interesting even though I did not agree with some of the author's conclusions. I had done some previous research -- very limited research -- and had reached some of the same conclusions as the author. I strongly recommend this book to those who are interested in the search for the historical Jesus Christ.

I have also read another interesting book "READING JUDAS: The Gospel of Judas and the Shaping of Christianity" [iSBN 978-0-670-03845-9] by Elaine Pagels and Karen L. King. It is a well written and scholarly book that can be read by the lay person. It expands our understanding of the early years of Christianity and the many conflicts within the new "Church." The second part of said book has a translation of the "Gospel of Judas." I found the book to be very interesting and of great value to those who are interested in the early history of Christianity.

Both books are very serious, and they do not pretend to teach theology or change any religious doctrines.

Hermano Luis

Moriviví Hermitage

I have recently finished 'Divine Sex' and 'God is not a Homophobe' by Philo Thelios which was very enlightening; and 'A Chosen Faith' about Unitarian Universalism and the 'The Jefferson Bible'.

I have semi-recently read 'Loving More', 'Polyamory, the new Love without Limits', 'Polyamory Roadmaps' and are currently reading 'The Ethical Sl/ut'. Once I finish this book and Pagan Polyamory I will be moving on to ULC Seminary Courses.

Edited by BrotherFX

Ooh, another poly person? :) I haven't read The Ethical ** yet... it's currently in circulation somewhere within our extended family LOL.

I'm reading fiction: The Expectd One, by Kathleen McGowan. It's a sort of female version of the DaVinci Code, and although her subject matter is not very rich, I find her writing to be MUCH better than Dan Brown's. I admit that I sometimes find it difficult to put the book down. I will say, though, that this book is much easier to remember is fiction. Brown's novel was written to try and make it sound "real" while this one is obviously fiction, with a very compelling story.

I'm also reading Gray Cat's Deepening Witchcraft. It's not nearly as good as I'd hoped it would be, but it isn't a total loss, either. Oh, and as soon as the new Harry Potter book comes out, I'll be offline for 2 days while I freebase it... ;)

Actually, I am not poly :) , but I am greatly researching the lifestyle and have found it thoroughly interesting. The Ethical Sl/ut was an interesting and quite informative read. The authors' perscpective significantly freer than the other books I have read.

I am reading the Pagan Poly and it has another perspective and some very useful advice in it. A practical book from what little I have read.

I have already ordered 5 ULC seminary courses and look to finish the Pagan Poly book this week.

So much to learn so little time.

I am hoping to make myself available in the future for pagan, poly, and same-sex rites.

Edited by BrotherFX

Actually, I am not poly :) , but I am greatly researching the lifestyle and have found it thoroughly interesting. The Ethical Sl/ut was an interesting and quite informative read. The authors' perscpective significantly freer than the other books I have read.

I really need to read it. One of my partners has it, and I keep meaning to go over it, but other stuff sneaks up and becomes more important. :)

I have already ordered 5 ULC seminary courses and look to finish the Pagan Poly book this week.

Wow... I have taken quite a few courses in my day, but none from the ULC seminary (or any seminary unfortunately). I hope to actually GO to seminary one day, but we'll see. :)

I am hoping to make myself available in the future for pagan, poly, and same-sex rites.

I have done pagan ceremonies (did one on Sunday actually), and poly ones (years ago) and same-sex weddings (not legal). I've also done a wide variety of other stuff... funerals, coming of age, that sort of thing. :)

The Currently Reading topic is getting pretty long and I thought it would be a bit difficult for people to try and sift through all the reviews of books and such, so I wanted to start this series of topics intending to provide an outlet to not just say what you were currently reading, but to allow you to recommend books that you've read in the past.

Try The Grand Inquisitor by Dostoyevsky. It's actually an excerpt from The Brothers Karamazov. It's an interesting debate between Christ and the Grand Inquisitor during the Spanish Inquisition, that speaks to the nature of man.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Been with ULC since 2000. What a great community and forum - I wish I'd have paid better attention and found it years ago.

Anywayz...

I recently read this one... ok, I admit - I also wrote it. http://www.amazon.co...k/dp/B007YJN03Y It's called iSUCCESS - it's more about how we can help ourselves recognize when we've accomplished something in everything we do - and how that can be practiced over time. I'm not sure where it fairs with the rest of these titles - but I sure would be appreciative if a few folks could give it a review both here and at Amazon.

It's funny actually... I've been ordained for more than 10 years - and it never occurred to me once - to look for a forum here on the site. What a great forum it is too!

Edited by BigCat

Been with ULC since 2000. What a great community and forum - I wish I'd have paid better attention and found it years ago.

Anywayz...

I recently read this one... ok, I admit - I also wrote it. http://www.amazon.co...k/dp/B007YJN03Y It's called iSUCCESS - it's more about how we can help ourselves recognize when we've accomplished something in everything we do - and how that can be practiced over time. I'm not sure where it fairs with the rest of these titles - but I sure would be appreciative if a few folks could give it a review both here and at Amazon.

It's funny actually... I've been ordained for more than 10 years - and it never occurred to me once - to look for a forum here on the site. What a great forum it is too!

Welcome BigCat.

Recently read Hope beyond Hell available for free through the website of the same name or free on kindle. It's a book promoting Christian universalism...also getting re-acquainted with Chesterton and reading Heretics and Orthodoxy...al three are highly recommended.

• Amulet locked and unpinned this topic