Recommended: Thriller/horror

The Currently Reading topic is getting pretty long and I thought it would be a bit difficult for people to try and sift through all the reviews of books and such, so I wanted to start this series of topics intending to provide an outlet to not just say what you were currently reading, but to allow you to recommend books that you've read in the past.

Point of Impact, Dirty White Boys, and The Day before Midnight, by Stephen Hunter are all very good thrillers. They're filled with suspense and plot twists, if you like that sort of thing. Frederick Forsythe is also worth a read. Pretty much anything by him but especially The ODESSA File and the Devil's Alternative (it's starts a bit slow but it's worth it after he's cranked it up a few notches).

For horror go with Dracula by Bram Stoker. There's no close second on this one.

• 4 months later...

I love anything by Dean Koontz. Midnight, Lightning, and two that he wrote about carnivals... Can't think of the names off hand, are my favorites. Very creepy, just the way I like 'em. :devil:

Rev Carol

I adore Koontz! :wub:

My two personal favorites are, The Vision and Odd Thomas.

Would The Funhouse be one of the "carnival" books you were thinking of? :huh:

~ Elf

• 1 year later...

The Da Vinci Code -- no, sorry, this is one bestseller that I read with a curled lip.

The plot is so obviously set up so that the author can unload all his research onto us that I don't see how they ever made a movie out of it at all.

And the surprise ending?

Gee, if you couldn't see that coming a mile off, I'd get my eyes tested.

I adore Koontz! :wub:

My two personal favorites are, The Vision and Odd Thomas.

Would The Funhouse be one of the "carnival" books you were thinking of? :huh:

~ Elf

Odd Thomas, Forever Odd, and Brother Odd are all great reads.

• 3 months later...
I just finished The Da Vinci Code and it's highly recommended. Especially for the likes of us... people who enjoy religious discussion. Excellent read!

Three out of three Thumbs Up!

:thumbu::thumbu::thumbu:

Dan Brown wrote another book before Davinci Code. It's called Angels and Demons. Not as popular because it didn't have the title that the second had, but in my opinion much better...I think they're making that into a movie as well. For the 'nay' sayers...it has all the same extreme amount of research but I think it flows a lot better. The little facts seem almost coincidental.

-Hugo

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Greetings,

My favorite writer of all time is Stephen King. Some of my favorites by him include IT, The Stand, Salem's Lot, The Dark Tower series and Duma Key. What I like so much about King's work is not necessarily the horror content so much as his unique way of delving into the minds of his characters. He is a master at character development.

As for SciFi\Fantasy, I like Philip Jose` Farmer, Frank Herbert, Ray Bradbury, but I Love the writing team of Margret Weis and & Tracy Hickman. The have written many novels for the Dragonlance series, which was initially based on Dungeons & Dragons.

In other genres I like Patricia Cornwell. She can keep me right on the edge of my seat. I also like William Johnstone who writes the BEST westerns.

Some folks will think this silly...but some will understand. I read many books more than once...some I have read 5 times over the course of 40 years. Some of you will say...why read a book more than once...you know what happens...but, at least for me, taking the trip to the end is just as good. And it is also like revisiting old friends. I am now reading The Dark Tower series again...7 books in all. Yes, I remember the end...but the trip...WOW.

And I read some of the classics over and over too...Gome With The Wind, To Kill A Mockingbird, The Time Machine and many others.

I read a wide variety of books including such kids books as Trixie Belden, Nancy Drew, the Warrior Cats series by Erin Hunter and others.

Two genres that I do not read are Romance and True Crime....

Well that's my little book world.

Del

Rev. Bailey

Edited by Rev. D S Bailey