Recommended: Fantasy/sci Fi

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

Don't worry Ree, I'm a D&Der too ... Drizzt rocks!! Even if no one dies, no one writes a sword-and-spell fight scene like Salvatore! On the same note, Ed Greenwood's Elminster books, Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman's Dragonlance AND Darksword books, and the hidden gems known as the Darksun novels (The Prism Pentad by Troy Denning, and The Tribe of One by an author whose name eludes me).

Props to The Sword of Truth, but, even if Terry Goodkind can be a little bit more engaging, Robert Jordan and the Wheel of Time need to be recognised undeniably as Goodkind's main inspiration.

Also, anything by Guy Gavriel Kay, especially the Fionavar Tapestry.

The Dark Tower by Stephen King (possibly the greatest work of fiction that I have ever read)

The Tales of Alvin Maker by Orson Scott Card

Any of the Arthurian legends

1984 and Animal Farm by George Orwell

The Song of Albion by Stephen R. Lawhead, who also wrote The Dragon King trilogy.

The Lord of The Rings and The Hobbit, of course

That's it off the top of my head, because I haven't read much fantasy lately, but with a little time I'm sure I could come up with pages. Great topic!!!

recent reads i would recommend:

Kim Harrison's;

Dead Witch Walking,

Any witch way but dead

the good the bad and the undead.

just released but not yet read is a fist full of charms.

over 400 pages each, the stories could have been told in about half that but she tells the stories well enough you dont mind the excess.

also

gark scelzi's

Old man's war

ghost brigades

first 4 are fantasy (the human race has been decimated by geneticly engineered viri and the "others" have come out of the shadows)

the last 2 are sci-fi

read 'em. thats an order

Just a few of mine, I have soooo many.

Terry Brooks- Sword of Truth serries. My first D&D charachter's name was Zedicus, based on Richard Rahl.But I liked Zed better.

Terry Goodkind's- Magic Kingdom for Sale, Sold, great book.

Piers Anthony- Incarnations serries.

Eragon and First Born- Can't remember the authors name, but he was 15 when he wrote the first book.

Villians By Nesecity- Again, can't remember the authors name.

Dragonlance, I read it about 15 times.

Those are just a few.

Flower

I highly recommend Terry Pratchett to all and sundry.

His Discworld novels are a treasure. Always insightful, frequently funny, I have read them all and loved them all.

Some Pratchett tidbits:

And it came to pass that in time the Great God Om spake unto Brutha, the Chosen One: "Psst!"

-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

"[...] a number of offences of murder by means of a blunt instrument, to whit, a dragon, and many further offences of generalized abetting [...]"

-- (Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!)

A number of religions in Ankh-Morpork still practiced human sacrifice, except that they didn't really need to practice any more because they had got so good at it.

-- (Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!)

He hated being thought of as one of those people that wore stupid ornamental armour. It was gilt by association.

-- (Terry Pratchett, Night Watch)

The Assassin moved quietly from roof to roof until he was well away from the excitement around the Watch House. His movements could be called cat-like, except that he did not stop to spray urine up against things.

-- (Terry Pratchett, Night Watch)

• 1 month later...

Flower

Thats by Terry Brooks, not Terry Goodkind. Terry Goodkind wrote the Sword of Truthseries.

My Top 5

1. Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series

2. Anything by Tolkien

3. Frank Herbert's "Dune"

4. Jack Whyte's "Camulod Chronicles" (May not qualify as fantasy, more historical fiction, but still a GREAT read)

5. J.K. Rowling's "Harry Potter" series

8-)

I don't think anything about a fictional character's (King Arthur) grandparents and a fictional city can be considered historical fiction. It's just fiction.

Flower

Thats by Terry Brooks, not Terry Goodkind. Terry Goodkind wrote the Sword of Truthseries.

My Top 5

2. Anything by Tolkien

4. Jack Whyte's "Camulod Chronicles" (May not qualify as fantasy, more historical fiction, but still a GREAT read)

8-)

I don't think anything about a fictional character's (King Arthur) grandparents and a fictional city can be considered historical fiction. It's just fiction.

Please, do pardon my ignorance. I meant no offense and I apologize if any categorical laws were broken. I meant to say that the story is a great read, fiction as it is.

Hmmm...let's see, it's been a while since I read SciFi. However, I've found that my students all love Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow, by Card. I've always enjoyed The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. Can't remember the author, but an excellent read. And of course, Ray Bradbury's Martian Chronicles. My kids tend to like the short story in it entitled "There Will Come Soft Rains". Also, The Dragonrider of Pern series, the Dragonsongs series, and the Crystal Singer series all by McCafferey if I am correct. They tend to appeal to my female students more.

Edited by Sr.Sue

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm for newer stuff not listed already..

Space SciFI...

Honor Harrington Series and it's spinoffs.(David Weber)

More Fantasy type new stuff

Dresden Files Series(Jim Butcher).. If you like this kind of stuff read these before teh new SciFi series based on them starts in January<in case they totally mess it up>

My Top 5

2. Anything by Tolkien

8-)

Yeah, Jason, I love Harry Potter too. I feel bad for adults who refuse to read them because they're kids' books. Tolkien and Robert Jordan are also great books, though I think I'm two behind in the Wheel of Time. Never read 3 and 4, though everyone says Dune was good.

Warhammer's book Grudge Bearer by Gav Thorpe is a great read if you love dwarves (and who doesn't?).

Tolkien and Robert Jordan are also great books, though I think I'm two behind in the Wheel of Time. Never read 3 and 4

You must read The Dragon Reborn (aka Book Three) It's the best of the series. Come to think of it, Book Four is probably the next best because it shows us the Aiel society and it's culture in their native Waste. Fascinating people, the Aiel. Sort of like the Fremen of Dune.

Tolkien and Robert Jordan are also great books, though I think I'm two behind in the Wheel of Time. Never read 3 and 4

You must read The Dragon Reborn (aka Book Three) It's the best of the series. Come to think of it, Book Four is probably the next best because it shows us the Aiel society and it's culture in their native Waste. Fascinating people, the Aiel. Sort of like the Fremen of Dune.

My bad. I meant number 3 and 4 on your list of books. I'm on book nine (I think) of the Wheel of Time. It might be ten. Looking back, I really did word that poorly. Sorry about that.

Ah. I see now. heh heh

Well, the Camulod Chronicles are a great non-magical retelling and redesign of the Arthurian Legend. Jack Whyte is a brilliant author. As for Dune, there are many who love the first book. Beyond that, many fans are lost, especially when you get to the books written by Herbert's son.

• 1 month later...

Wow ...I cannot believe I read through this whole thread and NOT one mention of the Xanth Series by Piers Anthony ...one of the best (and long lived) fantasy series' around .... lots of humour and really bad puns but a fantastic series that chronicles the lives of the characters who live in the imaginary land of Xanth ...which for some reason greatly resembles the state of Florida. ;) I've read all the books to date and trust me on this recommendation.

I was glad to see King's Dark Tower Series mentioned here ...King is known for his horror writing ...but the DT series was NOT horror. I am only sad now that it is over... I have to admit I shed a few tears throughout the DT series as certain events happened to main characters. At the end of the book I felt as though I had lost a good friend (NOT a character ,...but the series itself)

Wow ...I cannot believe I read through this whole thread and NOT one mention of the Xanth Series by Piers Anthony ...one of the best (and long lived) fantasy series' around .... lots of humour and really bad puns but a fantastic series that chronicles the lives of the characters who live in the imaginary land of Xanth ...which for some reason greatly resembles the state of Florida. ;) I've read all the books to date and trust me on this recommendation.

I read one of the earlier ones, but was distracted by other series, way back then.

5. Robert A. Heinlein - Citizen of the Galaxy

A good one.

• Amulet locked and unpinned this topic