Recommended: Fantasy/sci Fi

The Currently Reading topic is getting pretty long and I thought it would be a bit difficult for people to try and sift through all the reviews of books and such, so I wanted to start this series of topics intending to provide an outlet to not just say what you were currently reading, but to allow you to recommend books that you've read in the past.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I don't read much anymore, however as a teen I was quite the sci-fi reader. And one of the sets that I really enjoyed was the John Carter of Mars series by Edgar Rice Burroughs. Classics. The series consists of 11 novels dated from 1917 to 1948. They are;

# 1917 - A Princess of Mars aka Under The Moons Of Mars [sF],

(John Carter of Mars Series No.1)

# 1918 - The Gods of Mars [sF],

(John Carter of Mars Series No.2)

# 1919 - The Warlord of Mars [sF],

(John Carter of Mars Series No.3)

# 1920 - Thuvia, Maid of Mars [sF],

(John Carter of Mars Series No.4)

# 1922 - The Chessmen of Mars [sF],

(John Carter of Mars Series No.5)

# 1928 - The Master Mind of Mars [sF],

(John Carter of Mars Series No.6)

# 1931 - A Fighting Man of Mars [sF],

(John Carter of Mars Series No.7)

# 1936 - Swords of Mars [sF],

(John Carter of Mars Series No.8)

# 1940 - Synthetic Men of Mars [sF],

(John Carter of Mars Series No.9)

# 1943 - John Carter of Mars [sF],

(John Carter of Mars Series No.11)

# 1948 - Llana of Gathol [sF],

(John Carter of Mars Series No.10)

Don't ask me why #11 was released 5 years before #10. I read them in the 70's. John Carter was an Earthman who travelled to Mars via the Astral Plane. Somewhat of a Conan the Barbarian type character he does battle and has his little flings all over the planet encountering some very interesting creatures.

You can download parts of the series from Project Gutenberg in HTML, plain text or you can read them online.

The Chessmen of Mars

Gods of Mars

A Princess of Mars

Thuvia Maid of Mars

Warlord of Mars

I'd like to recommend two authors for kids who don't like reading very much.

Anne McCaffrey, the dragon series for starters.

Andre Norton, almost anything by her.

There are wonderful authors out there and it's nice to have kids reading what you have read in the past. It opens up strong lines of communications that help bridge gaps between adults and kids.

I'll second Games of Thrones by George Martin for fantasy. For sci-fi I'll second Dune by Frank Herbert. I don't much care for sci-fi books (though I love sci-fi movies and TV shows; don't know why it is the way it is) but this was very good.

I'm not really into sci-fi but I really like Tad Williams's series called Otherland. I found it slow to start but as the series progressed it got insanly better. It's four books long with about 1000 pages each.

Enjoy!

E.

Hi Murp,

I haven't heard them called dragonbard, but they have two base themes, dragon riders as one, dragon songs as another. Then they branch out from there, what do'y think, about 2 dozen books in the series?

I do know that when we've given them to kids the responce in most cases is very positive. They start to read and talk with the "old folks" about the books, story plot, etc.

So maybe we are talking about the same author, just calling the series differently?

Lou

• Administrator
Hi Murp,

I haven't heard them called dragonbard, but they have two base themes, dragon riders as one,  dragon songs as another.  Then they branch out from there, what do'y think, about 2 dozen books in the series?

I do know that when we've given them to kids the responce in most cases is very positive.  They start to read and talk with  the "old folks" about the books, story plot, etc.

So maybe we are talking about the same author, just calling the series differently?

Lou

you're proabably right...it's been a LONG time..lol

• 2 weeks later...

If I were y'all I would check out Steven Erikson's "A Tale of the Malazan Book of the Dead" series. So far it's 5 books long and it's a friggin' AWESOME series! Lots of detail without getting bogged down. He writes his characters well and makes sure you don't get lost as to what's going on.

Two really big thumbs up from me!

E.

It would be remiss for nobody to recommend The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien.

Don't just see the movies. Read the books.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't forget The Hobbit! I loved Battlefield Earth and I mean the book, not the horrible, rotten, crappy returned-it-to-Blockbuster-after-30-minutes movie. I also loved Jurassic Park and Jurassic Park: The Lost World. I just got some Tom Clancey books, I'll offer an opinion when I finishe a couple.

• 1 month later...

I would strongly recommend "The Illuminati Trilogy" which is actually a single volume authored by Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson. The authors take a wide variety of myths, occult arcania and conspiricy theories and weave them together into a very funny, very strange tale. They manage to connect the Kennedy assination to the Lost City of Atlantis. Funny stuff :thumbu:

I guess I'll start with the series that will make everyone mad and end with the one that will make most want to lynch me.

John Normans Gor books

Anything Anne McCaffery wrote

Anything Zalazney(sp?) wrote

Anything Terry Pratchet wrote

The Honor Harrington series

Harry Potter

Col Tom Kratzman (Author)

John Ringo (Author)

I now patiently await Yells of Anger, Rage, and threats of violence and death.

• Amulet locked and unpinned this topic