Star Wars Episode Three

I guess the fact that they showed her funeral was a givaway, but if she didn't die as a complication of childbirth, but from something else later, the vision could have been a false vision suplied by Sidious as a tool to play on his fears. Then Sidious could have killed her later, but Lucas would have showed that.
There is no question she died in childbirth. She was shown still pregnant at the funeral to hide the fact that she had given birth so that Vader would not go looking for the kids.
Her cause of death is still a mystery. The medical droid didn't know what why she was dying. The obvious spelcuation is that she was like a lovebird that lost her mate, an icky little cliche, but whatever. If that is the case, Vader did kill her.
There is no speculation there either. The droid said she lost the will to live and that if they wanted to save the babied they'd have to operate right away. It wasn't the best writing I've seen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

She was fine until Aniken's first choke grip. I took from that that he knew not of his own strength, she never recoverd, and so he did in fact ultimately cause her death.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just saw the show this weekend.  I like it, but I have a few comments:

1) Amidala is complete window dressing in this movie.  This is not the strong woman we met in the first two movies, but a damsel in distress.  Quite disappointing.  When she confronts Anakin, she should've slapped him, or at least tried to, or something other than, "Oh Anakin, you're breaking my heart!"  Yuck.

2) Hayden Christensen is an okay actor, but certainly not up to the part of Darth Vader/Anakin.  His brooding looks took the character only so far.

3) I love the Special Effects.  As always, they make the movie.

4) I'm dissappointed in Lucas because he made Yoda retreat.  It would have been better to see Palpatine do something underhanded to get the edge in the fight. 

5) I feel for Samuel L. Jackson's Character, yet, Mace could still be alive.  Just because he was shot out the window by the electrical charge does not mean he fell to his death.  I just want Mace to live because he kicks butt.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with all of that except the last point. I always thought Jackson had no business in that movie....they should have had a no-name actor playing that part....to have a hollywood heavyweight like Jackson in such a small role, just seemed weird to me. It's not like Lucas needed a big name to sell the movie, afterall. Same with Jimmy Smits.

How bout the awesome scene in the hallway of the ship where we first see Vader in episode four.....Anyone else notice that?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't until you just mentioned it. Way cool how he tied that together.

1) Amidala is complete window dressing in this movie.  This is not the strong woman we met in the first two movies, but a damsel in distress.  Quite disappointing.  When she confronts Anakin, she should've slapped him, or at least tried to, or something other than, "Oh Anakin, you're breaking my heart!"  Yuck.

2) Hayden Christensen is an okay actor, but certainly not up to the part of Darth Vader/Anakin.  His brooding looks took the character only so far.

4) I'm dissappointed in Lucas because he made Yoda retreat.  It would have been better to see Palpatine do something underhanded to get the edge in the fight. 

5) I feel for Samuel L. Jackson's Character, yet, Mace could still be alive.  Just because he was shot out the window by the electrical charge does not mean he fell to his death.  I just want Mace to live because he kicks butt.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with all of that except the last point. I always thought Jackson had no business in that movie....they should have had a no-name actor playing that part....to have a hollywood heavyweight like Jackson in such a small role, just seemed weird to me. It's not like Lucas needed a big name to sell the movie, afterall. Same with Jimmy Smits.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Doh! Bite your tongue!

Obviously, I love the Mace Windu character, especially from watching the Clone War Cartoons which give a good story arch from Episode II to Episode III.

i just went back and saw it for the second time. looked for the zipper on the wookie costume.

sorry guys, that's not a zipper. the shot is very low for a closeup on yoda. the crotch on the wookie standing next to him is higher than yoda's head, so it could not be a zipper. you will see a small sliver of bright light that looks silver. it is the background shining between the wookies legs. the camera pans around yoda slightly and the silver strip dissappears as the angle changes.

think about it, if there had been a zipper showing in that scene where they had done the animation with yoda, and digitzex him into the shot, the animators and ecitors would have been looking at the scene for days. it is only reasonable to believe that they would have spotted that bright shining object if it was a zipper.

hugs,

joe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Doh! Bite your tongue!

Obviously, I love the Mace Windu character, especially from watching the Clone War Cartoons which give a good story arch from Episode II to Episode III.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

clonewar cartoons? never heard of them.

Hi All,

First let me comment that the film wasn't about Bush.. I read an article where they compared Bush to Darth Vader.. when the actualy comparison to be made would be that Bush is Palpatine.. Cheny could be General Grevious, with his heart troubles and all :)

As for the love affiar, I'm sure we have all been jilted and rejected. Think about it for a second. You are in love with a powerful Jedi.. imagine using the force during love making? Imagine the connection!

You go from madly in love, thinking he is the greatest Jedi and you have him.. he wants YOU.. to finding out that he has killed children, and now says that you have betrayed him.. then he puts the choke hold on ya..WHAT A BLOW!

With the strain of childbirth, and the link between them (remember, at the same time, Aniken is a crispy critter, almost dead himself) no wonder she was so close to death.

Both played thier parts exactally as Lucas had wanted them.

I was a bit disapointed at the ease at which the Jedi were struck down.. but you will notice that most of them were shot in the back when they thought that they were riding with allies. EP 1 and 2 laid the groundwork for 3, that the Jedi can be overwhelmed, and that is just about the only way to kill them.

Yes, I thought Yoda should have at least sliced off the Emperors leg or something.

Interesting how they talk of the dark Jedi who could stop people from dying.. when Yoda is near death, Luke tells him that he can't die, Yoda replies with "Strong with the force am I, but not that strong."

As with the force in familes.. you don't have to be married to have kids :shy: and it could also skip generations....

-- Joe

Edited by Rev. Joe Jepsen

Good post.

But something else just occured to me.... what was that reference right at the end when Yoda tells Obe Won something about finding some old or lost Jedi Master who had discovered something about immortality?? What was that about? Does that have something to do with when the elder Obe Won gave up in a fight with Vader he lived on in spirit??

I admit, I am not an expert on all this stuff, but this little diddy at the end of III intrigued me.

Mike

I thought the movie was passable. The first half was weak, in many ways. Character motivation for Anakin, primarily. Too much time consumed by fight sequences. Killing Dooku was too much a throw away. At some point, after Anakin allies with Palpatine, the movie came together a bit more. But, there were still major characterization flaws.

My biggest problem was the end of the fights between obi wan and anakin and yoda and palpatine. I found it hard to accept Obi wan simply standing and watching anakin burn. Anakin should have landed somewhere difficult to reach. Otherwise Obiwan should have put him out of his misery. Personally, i wanted anakin to make one more gesture of goodness, and ask obi wan to go get padme to safety.

And I felt Yoda should not have given in so easily. I think they should have broken his back. He should have lost use of his legs, and had to crawl his way out. Simple explaination for his later walking....his kind regenerate like frogs...

If they do make episodes 7-9 I really want to see yoda's people explored more fully..

And damn George, he just had to sneak Jar Jar in again didn't he..

that made me wince..

I thought the movie was passable. The first half was weak, in many ways. Character motivation for Anakin, primarily. Too much time consumed by fight sequences. Killing Dooku was too much a throw away.  At some point, after Anakin allies with Palpatine, the movie came together a bit more. But, there were still major characterization flaws.

My biggest problem was the end of the fights between obi wan and anakin and yoda and palpatine. I found it hard to accept Obi wan simply standing and watching anakin burn. Anakin should have landed somewhere difficult to reach. Otherwise Obiwan should have put him out of his misery. Personally, i wanted anakin to make one more gesture of goodness, and ask obi wan to go get padme to safety.

And I felt Yoda should not have given in so easily. I think they should have broken his back. He should have lost use of his legs, and had to crawl his way out. Simple explaination for his later walking....his kind regenerate like frogs...

If they do make episodes 7-9 I really want to see yoda's people explored more fully..

that made me wince..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with all that.

But something else just occured to me....  what was that reference right at the end when Yoda tells Obe Won something about finding some old or lost Jedi Master who had discovered something about immortality??  What was that about?  Does that have something to do with when the elder Obe Won gave up in a fight with Vader he lived on in spirit??

You must have missed a line because some punk didn't turn off his cell phone. The Jedi Master Yoda refers to is Qui-Gon Jin, Obi-Wan's former master. He had learned to join with the force and could communicate with Yoda, but joining with the force and communicating with those who have is a learned skill. Obi-Wan learned it on Tatooine while watching over young Luke. Qui-Gon and later Anikan are self taught. Yoda learned to communicate with Qui-Gon by himself, and could have leaned to join with the force from Qui-Gon or on his own.

In the expanded Star Wars universe Joining with the force is a secret known to the Sith for quite some time, a secret learned and lost many times in their cycle of betrayal and deception.

Before the bulk of Luke's training Obi-Wan is only able to contact Luke in spurts. Voices Luke isn't sure he are actually there and a vision he half believes is a hallucination. After his more extensive training with Yoda, and self training we do not see between Episodes V and VI guided by Obi-Wan's personal journal, he is able to call and carry on conversations with spirits joined to the force in this manner.

But something else just occured to me....  what was that reference right at the end when Yoda tells Obe Won something about finding some old or lost Jedi Master who had discovered something about immortality??  What was that about?  Does that have something to do with when the elder Obe Won gave up in a fight with Vader he lived on in spirit??

You must have missed a line because some punk didn't turn off his cell phone. The Jedi Master Yoda refers to is Qui-Gon Jin, Obi-Wan's former master. He had learned to join with the force and could communicate with Yoda, but joining with the force and communicating with those who have is a learned skill. Obi-Wan learned it on Tatooine while watching over young Luke. Qui-Gon and later Anikan are self taught. Yoda learned to communicate with Qui-Gon by himself, and could have leaned to join with the force from Qui-Gon or on his own.

In the expanded Star Wars universe Joining with the force is a secret known to the Sith for quite some time, a secret learned and lost many times in their cycle of betrayal and deception.

Before the bulk of Luke's training Obi-Wan is only able to contact Luke in spurts. Voices Luke isn't sure he are actually there and a vision he half believes is a hallucination. After his more extensive training with Yoda, and self training we do not see between Episodes V and VI guided by Obi-Wan's personal journal, he is able to call and carry on conversations with spirits joined to the force in this manner.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh. Thanks. :hi:

My God man...how do you know all this??

I thought the movie was passable. The first half was weak, in many ways. Character motivation for Anakin, primarily. Too much time consumed by fight sequences. Killing Dooku was too much a throw away.  At some point, after Anakin allies with Palpatine, the movie came together a bit more. But, there were still major characterization flaws.

that made me wince..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with all that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well, let me take another position then..

:kiss:

Here we go

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I resent that! I live in my parent's basement! :angry:

I think it's a movie, a work of fiction. Over analyzing it just takes away all the fun.

Reality is for people who can't cope with science fiction

Also, one of the short Jedi betrayal scenes took place on an unnamed planet with some very interesting flora, giant colorful flowers and fungi.

That was Aayla. Wonder if the planet was Ryloth?

From the beginning I thought it was odd that they were so enthusiastic about this "balance the force" prophecy because the Light Side Jedi were powerful and there were no known Dark Jedi.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When even good becomes too powerful, it can become complacent and fall to corruption and weakness. With no opposing force to test it, the light side becomes too confident in its own abilities, to assured of their rightness to question it. They may not even have understood this themselves, but remember in E2 when Mace is questioning Yoda on whether or not they should tell the Senate that they are losing their power? Think of the Roman Empire, for centuries so powerful that no other nation could stand against it. Eventually falling into its own decadence and destroyed by, of all things, barbarians. A simplified version of history, but at the core that is what happened. It's also why many cultures that have "destroyer" dieties do not neccessarily consider these dieties to be evil. Kalli, for example, is highly revered, because she destroys the old to make way for the new.

If I may make an anime comparison, if you've ever seen Record of Lodoss Wars, you're familiar with the Gray Witch (my avatar, BTW) In the history of Lodoss, Karla comes from a society of wizards that wished to create a perfect society and mastered all forms of magic. The wizards started off with good intentions, and for a while succeeded in bringing peace to Lodoss, but as they grew more powerful their ideas of good and evil became twisted, and eventually they fell into civil war and almost destroyed the entire people. Karla swore she would never allow any one force to ever grow so powerful as to take over the land again, and that they only way to protect the land was by making sure it stayed devided in order to keep all the various leaders from becoming too decadent and powerful. At one point she causes the death of the evil Emperor Beil to prevent him from taking over the land. At the end, when the heros destroy the evil Wizard Vagnard and there is no longer a strong evil leader to oppose them, she tells them they must kill themselves because now the side of good has grown to strong. When they refuse, she releases the evil goddess Kardis in order to bring good and evil back in to balance.

It actually all makes perfect sense if you twist your brain enough!

Here we go

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I resent that! I live in my parent's basement! :angry:

I think it's a movie, a work of fiction. Over analyzing it just takes away all the fun.

Reality is for people who can't cope with science fiction

Also, one of the short Jedi betrayal scenes took place on an unnamed planet with some very interesting flora, giant colorful flowers and fungi.

That was Aayla. Wonder if the planet was Ryloth?

From the beginning I thought it was odd that they were so enthusiastic about this "balance the force" prophecy because the Light Side Jedi were powerful and there were no known Dark Jedi.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When even good becomes too powerful, it can become complacent and fall to corruption and weakness. With no opposing force to test it, the light side becomes too confident in its own abilities, to assured of their rightness to question it. They may not even have understood this themselves, but remember in E2 when Mace is questioning Yoda on whether or not they should tell the Senate that they are losing their power? Think of the Roman Empire, for centuries so powerful that no other nation could stand against it. Eventually falling into its own decadence and destroyed by, of all things, barbarians. A simplified version of history, but at the core that is what happened. It's also why many cultures that have "destroyer" dieties do not neccessarily consider these dieties to be evil. Kalli, for example, is highly revered, because she destroys the old to make way for the new.

If I may make an anime comparison, if you've ever seen Record of Lodoss Wars, you're familiar with the Gray Witch (my avatar, BTW) In the history of Lodoss, Karla comes from a society of wizards that wished to create a perfect society and mastered all forms of magic. The wizards started off with good intentions, and for a while succeeded in bringing peace to Lodoss, but as they grew more powerful their ideas of good and evil became twisted, and eventually they fell into civil war and almost destroyed the entire people. Karla swore she would never allow any one force to ever grow so powerful as to take over the land again, and that they only way to protect the land was by making sure it stayed devided in order to keep all the various leaders from becoming too decadent and powerful. At one point she causes the death of the evil Emperor Beil to prevent him from taking over the land. At the end, when the heros destroy the evil Wizard Vagnard and there is no longer a strong evil leader to oppose them, she tells them they must kill themselves because now the side of good has grown to strong. When they refuse, she releases the evil goddess Kardis in order to bring good and evil back in to balance.

It actually all makes perfect sense if you twist your brain enough!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

At the end of Episode Three, the force is in balance

Two Sith

Two Jedi