Star Wars Episode Three

I hope so. I originally heard that he wrote somewhere between 12 and 15 episodes. The original concept was to make an old fashioned serial like they showed in the movie theatres from 1915 to 1960.

Then he sat down thinking he would only be able to make one and decided on episode 4 as the one that would hold together as an individual story.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope so. I originally heard that he wrote somewhere between 12 and 15 episodes. The original concept was to make an old fashioned serial like they showed in the movie theatres from 1915 to 1960.

Then he sat down thinking he would only be able to make one and decided on episode 4 as the one that would hold together as an individual story.

Lucas abandoned the idea of doing Star Wars in the style of a serial during the process of trying to pitch it to studios. He latter fufilled his desire to do a serial with the Indiana Jones films.

As for the Episode count, I think it was always 9.

I guess the fact that they showed her funeral was a givaway, but if she didn't die as a complication of childbirth, but from something else later, the vision could have been a false vision suplied by Sidious as a tool to play on his fears. Then Sidious could have killed her later, but Lucas would have showed that.
There is no question she died in childbirth. She was shown still pregnant at the funeral to hide the fact that she had given birth so that Vader would not go looking for the kids.
Her cause of death is still a mystery. The medical droid didn't know what why she was dying. The obvious spelcuation is that she was like a lovebird that lost her mate, an icky little cliche, but whatever. If that is the case, Vader did kill her.
There is no speculation there either. The droid said she lost the will to live and that if they wanted to save the babied they'd have to operate right away. It wasn't the best writing I've seen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just got back from the theatre.

I thought that the whole "lost the will to live" thing was really illogical. Here she is, just about to have the baby (ies), and she can't find the impending birth of her children motivation enough to go on living? What a crock.

I don't think that I'm going out on a limb here to say that most women would be more concerned with the baby than with the baby's father. Oh, yeah, maybe it's because she's not human.

Other than that, it was good, but a few too many objects going boom for my taste. :boom::starwars::boom:

It is, at the very least, the same model of ship. Alderanian freighter or light cruiser or some such. Possibly the same ship. A birthday present to Leia from daddy when she graduated high school. Or maybe she swiped it! First thing to go through her head when the Death Star destroys Alderan is, "At least now I won't have to explain to Daddy why I got pulled over by a Star Destroyer."

Edited by Izmir Stinger

So I am talking to a guy on another forum who read the book (novelization, whatever). Apparently in the book "Order 66" was a genetically encoded instruction. An integral part of the clones. They have no knowledge of it until executed, so it is super secret, right?

In the movie there was nothing about this, it just seemed to be a secret military order known only to Palpatine and the clone commanders. This is consistent with what we learned about the clones in episode 2, they will follow any order unquestioningly.

He thinks the genetic encoded order makes more sense and is more consistent with the Sith's emphasis on secrecy. I think it is stupid. Why is it necessary to genetically encode an important order into a soldier that is already going to obey any order anyway? Also, a giant preassembled army is going to be pretty complicated, especially for senators and jedi uncustomed to commanding armies. Wouldn't there be regular contact between the cloners and the jedi? Ya know, a help desk or something. Wouldn't this create the possibility that a Jedi could find out from a cloner. They were made out to be very greedy. Greedy aliens are bad people to have keep your secrets, especially ones other people may want to buy.

A secret military order is superior in a number of respects. The cloners don't have to know about it. The clones know about it. Killing Jedi doesn't seem like a very easy thing to do, even by surprise. If I were a clone commander I'd want a chance to plan how to do it to maximize my chance of success. If ordered to keep it secret except from other clones, it is safer than if the cloners know. Sure, the cloners are few and the clones many, but the clones can be trusted implicitly.

What do you guys think. If you were the Emperor what would you do?

....What do you guys think. If you were the Emperor what would you do?
I think it's a movie, a work of fiction. Over analyzing it just takes away all the fun. :beach:

Once you suspend your disbelief the next step is to imagine yourself in the fictional world. If George Lucas hasn't painted a vivid enough picture for you to be able to imagine being a Jedi or Sith Lord or Clone Commando then he has failed as a storyteller. For all their failings as films, episodes 4-6 included, George Lucas paints an amazing picture of a fascinating fantasy world. That is why these movies are such a cultural phenomenon.

I think it's a movie, a work of fiction. Over analyzing it just takes away all the fun. :beach:
Once you suspend your disbelief the next step is to imagine yourself in the fictional world. If George Lucas hasn't painted a vivid enough picture for you to be able to imagine being a Jedi or Sith Lord or Clone Commando then he has failed as a storyteller. For all their failings as films, episodes 4-6 included, George Lucas paints an amazing picture of a fascinating fantasy world. That is why these movies are such a cultural phenomenon.
That's exactly what I mean. Over analyzing it would take away all that fun. Suspend that disbelief and enjoy it.

Over $150 million in less than a week; hopefully that will change his mind and he'll do the last 3 chapters.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, that's spooky Dave. That's what I was going to say.

I'd rather suspend my logical mind in order to enjoy the movie. I don't want to get into questions that would remind me of the movie's flaws.

Questions like: If the Force is so strong in Darth Vader, why did he not sense that Luke and Leia were his children?

Why doesn't Leia's hair get messed up when she's been through battle?

How does Darth Vader eat?

If "The Force is strong in this one" (Luke) according to D. Vader, why doesn't he sense that he and Leia are brother and sister? I mean they're twins for cryin out loud!

Star Wars is a series of movies. They have their flaws. That's just the way it is.

genetically encoded order-

the sith would be big on secrecy and they did not even know the identity of other sith lords many times. also a genetically encoded order would be passed on for generations of clones wheras relying on them to just obey the order would be a risk that they would not want to take. also should something have happened to palpatine then he could have told someone to pass the order along and that person would not understand what would happen therfore less chance of it failing to be done.

why didn't darth know about luke and leia-

he was told padame died before giving birth to the babies, and even then he only knew about the possibility of one baby being born. remember, even luke and leia didn't know they were twins until much later.

leia's hair-

r2d2 has a hair spray attachment that they never show in the movies, and guess who doe her hair? c3p0, who else?

how does darth eat-

the mask flips up and he can live without it long enough to eat.

darth cannot sense luke and leia are twins-

not even luke caught on until someone gave him a hint.

and i agree whole heartedly, don't overanylize, they are just movies.

and by the way, maybe the wookie's zipper was cause he was wearing wookie pants? :rolleyes:

hugs,

joe

Just came back from seeing the film.....

Eh...I think in the book (not sure it has been awhile) - mom died from a disease - not a broken heart ....but they can use whatever poetic license they choose in the movie - I thought it was fun romp.

Did anyone else notice the TOTAL lack of vegetation of any kind...anywhere? Not a tree, a plant, a flower .... Odd world it is that has NOTHING green.

THIS is one movie I think ya gotta see AT THE THEATER ......or at least that is my take on it.

:)

Von

OK Joe, I can go with the hair thing, C3P0 does remind me of a guy who used to do my hair. :lol:

It's the twin thing that gets me though. There's such a strong bond between twins, and yes I know that they're fraternal twins not identical, that I can't help but think that they would've sensed their bond since the Force is so intuitive.

The Wookie pants almost make sense too. Egad, imagine a naked Wookie! What an animal.

I'm afraid that I've been "Forced" to come to the conclusion that they're just movies, darn it all.

They did sense a bond, they just didn't verbalize it as "Hey, you know, you just might be my twin sister!" Neither of them had any reason to believe there was a sibling, after all. Actually, I think Leia caught on quicker than Luke, but then again women normally do :D

As far as Order 66 goes, it seemed perfectly acceptable to me that the Emperor would have such an order in place. It would have to be given at the last possible second, because otherwise the Jedi would "sense a disturbance in the Force." Remember, Yoda had a lag time of just a few second, and it was enough for him to escape.

Did anyone else notice the TOTAL lack of vegetation of any kind...anywhere?  Not a tree, a plant, a flower ....  Odd world it is that has NOTHING green.

Which planet? The Wookie homeworld of Kashyyyk is quite a lush planet. Also, one of the short Jedi betrayal scenes took place on an unnamed planet with some very interesting flora, giant colorful flowers and fungi.

Corusant, the capital world of the Republic where more scenes take place than any other one planet, is devoid of naturally occurring plant life, but plants are used as decorations on several of the sets.

As far as Order 66 goes, it seemed perfectly acceptable to me that the Emperor would have such an order in place.  It would have to be given at the last possible second, because otherwise the Jedi would "sense a disturbance in the Force."  Remember, Yoda had a lag time of just a few second, and it was enough for him to escape.

That is something I hadn't considered. Perhaps in the book an explanation was offered that somehow the genetically encoded order would not be detectable to powerful Jedi like Yoda when they meditate and view the future.

Here we go

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I resent that! I live in my parent's basement! :angry:

I think it's a movie, a work of fiction. Over analyzing it just takes away all the fun.
Reality is for people who can't cope with science fiction
Also, one of the short Jedi betrayal scenes took place on an unnamed planet with some very interesting flora, giant colorful flowers and fungi.

That was Aayla. Wonder if the planet was Ryloth?

Somebody on another board was saying that some important scenes were cut. Remember how Yoda said out of the blue that he had communicated with Qui-Gon and told Obi-Wan to learn how? Apparently on the DVD they'll have scenes where Qui-Gon tells Yoda that Anakin is balancing the force and that the Jedi have to be destroyed so they can come back stronger.

From the beginning I thought it was odd that they were so enthusiastic about this "balance the force" prophecy because the Light Side Jedi were powerful and there were no known Dark Jedi.

Also I thought it was strange that Jedi aren't allowed to marry but we know strength in the Force runs in families. So apparently they just waited for random mutations to bring them more Jedi candidates?

i don't remember ever having heard (in the movies) that jedi were not allowed to marry.

if the force runs strong in the families then it would make sense to marry to keep the lines strong and make them stronger.

where did you guys here this? was it in the books? or did i miss it in one of the movies?

hugs,

joe

I just saw the show this weekend. I like it, but I have a few comments:

1) Amidala is complete window dressing in this movie. This is not the strong woman we met in the first two movies, but a damsel in distress. Quite disappointing. When she confronts Anakin, she should've slapped him, or at least tried to, or something other than, "Oh Anakin, you're breaking my heart!" Yuck.

2) Hayden Christensen is an okay actor, but certainly not up to the part of Darth Vader/Anakin. His brooding looks took the character only so far.

3) I love the Special Effects. As always, they make the movie.

4) I'm dissappointed in Lucas because he made Yoda retreat. It would have been better to see Palpatine do something underhanded to get the edge in the fight.

5) I feel for Samuel L. Jackson's Character, yet, Mace could still be alive. Just because he was shot out the window by the electrical charge does not mean he fell to his death. I just want Mace to live because he kicks butt.

I can see how many are claiming that this film is anti bush.  :grin:

The story outline was written in the 1970s. The people making those claims are grasping at straws.

The story line may have been written then, but the film was made during the bush admin. No grasping needed especially when it is well known that Lucas is not a fan of bush.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I saw the movie, and considering the level of dedication Lucas has to the integrity of his Lovechild, I would have to consider the above statement absolutely ridiculous.

Folks that see anti-Bush statements want to see anti-Bush statements. There were no parallels, only appropriate words to describe what was happening with the onscreen war, Senate, and the Sith Lord's disregard for democracy.