Star Wars Episode Three

***SPOILERS *** SPOILERS *** SPOILERS ***

Use this thread for discussion of the film with spoilers. Honestly, there is very little to be spoiled because we know the story of both the prequel and the sequel, but a few things may still be ruined.

If you have not seen it, turn back, this thread can only lead you to the dark side.

If you wish to discuss the film without spoilers, go to this older thread.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just returned from a time long long ago in a galaxy thats distance from here is greatly exagerated.

Well, I was right about one of the things that was still a mystery despite our prior knowledge of the story. R2-D2s memory was not erased. In episodes IV-VI he has full knowledge of his actions and what he witnessed during the Trade Federation and Clone Wars.

And he is a pretty aggressive little rascal, isn't he?

The other mystery was the fate of Luke and Leia's mother.
She died giving birth - just like the dreams said she would.
And they didn't bother to cover that, which I liked, sorta. This is Anikan's story and he doesn't know the truth, why should we?
We do. It was right after she named the kids.

One thing to watch for - the wookie with a zipper down the front of his costume. Look for a wookie on the right soon after they give Order 66.

I can see how many are claiming that this film is anti bush. :grin:

The other mystery was the fate of Luke and Leia's mother.
She died giving birth - just like the dreams said she would.
And they didn't bother to cover that, which I liked, sorta. This is Anikan's story and he doesn't know the truth, why should we?
We do. It was right after she named the kids.

That wasn't very clear. Did I cough when the medical droid pronounced her dead? Lots of women fall asleep after giving birth to twins. All she did was close her eyes, that I could see.

Obviously she would have to die some time soon, else Vader would discover the lie that his master used to finally break his spirt and let him give in to the dark side, and the will of the Emperor, completely.

I can see how many are claiming that this film is anti bush.  :grin:

The story outline was written in the 1970s. The people making those claims are grasping at straws.

The story line may have been written then, but the film was made during the bush admin. No grasping needed especially when it is well known that Lucas is not a fan of bush.

That wasn't very clear. Did I cough when the medical droid pronounced her dead? Lots of women fall asleep after giving birth to twins. All she did was close her eyes, that I could see.
I thought her death, in fulfillment of the dreams, was very clear.
Obviously she would have to die some time soon, else Vader would discover the lie that his master used to finally break his spirt and let him give in to the dark side, and the will of the Emperor, completely.
The lie was that Anikin killed her, not that she is dead. He needed to feed that hatred to complete Anikins conversion.

The lie was that Anikin killed her, not that she is dead. He needed to feed that hatred to complete Anikins conversion.

Yeah, but is he runs into her at the mall next week that gig is up.

I guess the fact that they showed her funeral was a givaway, but if she didn't die as a complication of childbirth, but from something else later, the vision could have been a false vision suplied by Sidious as a tool to play on his fears. Then Sidious could have killed her later, but Lucas would have showed that.

Her cause of death is still a mystery. The medical droid didn't know what why she was dying. The obvious spelcuation is that she was like a lovebird that lost her mate, an icky little cliche, but whatever. If that is the case, Vader did kill her.

I guess the fact that they showed her funeral was a givaway, but if she didn't die as a complication of childbirth, but from something else later, the vision could have been a false vision suplied by Sidious as a tool to play on his fears. Then Sidious could have killed her later, but Lucas would have showed that.
There is no question she died in childbirth. She was shown still pregnant at the funeral to hide the fact that she had given birth so that Vader would not go looking for the kids.
Her cause of death is still a mystery. The medical droid didn't know what why she was dying. The obvious spelcuation is that she was like a lovebird that lost her mate, an icky little cliche, but whatever. If that is the case, Vader did kill her.
There is no speculation there either. The droid said she lost the will to live and that if they wanted to save the babied they'd have to operate right away. It wasn't the best writing I've seen.

The droid said she lost the will to live and that if they wanted to save the babied they'd have to operate right away. It wasn't the best writing I've seen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it did seem to me to be a bit contrived. however he could have made the reason a little more believeable. i think that when annakin used the throat grip on her she gave up. that plus the fact that she was under a lot of stress during the whole pregnancy.

however, being able to replace whole bodies with mechanicals you would think they could have some way of sustaining her. i always imagined that her death in childbirth would have been more due to complications, such as severe injuries or even internal injuries.

misse dthe zippered wookie, gonna go see it again with some students next week so i'll look for that.

hugs,

joe

Edited by MagnestyJoe

I just returned from a time long long ago in a galaxy thats distance from here is greatly exagerated.

Well, I was right about one of the things that was still a mystery despite our prior knowledge of the story. R2-D2s memory was not erased. In episodes IV-VI he has full knowledge of his actions and what he witnessed during the Trade Federation and Clone Wars.

And he is a pretty aggressive little rascal, isn't he?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

when the ambassador says to wipe the protocol droids memory he didn't seem to concerned with R2's memory.

R2 was not really programmed to give information without being asked for it. his intiative level was pretty low, so even though he may have had the info, unless someone specifically asked him for it he would not have been likely to give it. also since his function was mainly one of maintenece he may have had a program that automatically wiped clean anything that wasn't useful to his functioning.

just had a thought, does anyone remember in episode 4 when obi-wan meets r2 again, does he says something about not having seen r2 for a long time? or am i just imagining that?

hugs,

joe

The strangest part of the movie was the guy in front of me in line. He was wearing a skirt. Not a kilt, a skirt. It was obviously home made out of that orangish brown canvas duck material. It came down to just below the knees and it was obvious that he was not cross dressing. Is this a new trend or something or is this guy just being himself?

it did seem to me to be a bit contrived. however he could have made the reason a  little more believeable. i think that when annakin used the throat grip on her she gave up. that plus the fact that she was under a lot of stress during the whole pregnancy.
They could have written it much better to reinforce the irony that he killed the one thing he went to the dark side for.
misse dthe zippered wookie, gonna go see it again with some students next week so i'll look for that.
The scene is just after Yoda is attacked. Right at the level of Yoda's head is the crotch of the wookie on the right. You'll see the zipper since it stands out as a shiny strip going straight up from the crotch.

I also missed seeing the zipper. I will wait til it comes out on dvd...then you can pause and zoom.
I can see it now... someone walks in the room just as you are zooming in on a wookies crotch. :llol:

I also missed seeing the zipper. I will wait til it comes out on dvd...then you can pause and zoom.
I can see it now... someone walks in the room just as you are zooming in on a wookies crotch. :llol:

I told my sister that (about the zipper ) and she gave me the eww perv look. Then again who is she to give looks...she paused her NSYNC dvd on their butts more times than I care to recall (she wore the dvd out) back in the day when they were popular.

The reaction would be funny though when the time comes.

I just remembered something else. The end of the movie they brought back Luke's theme from episode 4. Possibly Leia's a;so didn't quite catch that one though.

They really paid attentiopn to the details and making the cycle complete. Just think, 100 years from now people will be watching the Star Wars cycle like they go to Germany to see the Ring Cycle!

hugs,

joe

....They really paid attentiopn to the details and making the cycle complete. Just think, 100 years from now people will be watching the Star Wars cycle like they go to Germany to see the Ring Cycle!..
I just wonder if that $50 million for the first day is going to change his mind about doing the last 3 episodes.