Does My Music Rock Or Suck?

Lachrymal

Does my music rock or suck? www.myspace.com/adrianbartholomew (here to listen)  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Does my music rock or suck? www.myspace.com/adrianbartholomew (here to listen)

• Wow! You've got talent, kid!
    • Ouch! My friggin' ears are bleeding from that racket!
    • Keep working, you might have something someday!
    • This is GREAT background music...for vomiting.
    • Oh crap! I thought i stepped on my cat!
    • Woah! Are you single, Adrian?
    • Can I have your autograph?!?
    • Other...

personally, I think it's great, but i'm kinda biased on the subject, so i need opinions! HONESTY, PLEASE

listen to all four songs before deciding, please, the thought of you judging my entire scope of musical talent (or lack thereof) from one or two songs scares the poopoo out of me, so PLEASE listen to them all :D

thank you

thank you,

THANK YOU

for your time and honesty :)

Adrian

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so....just out of curiosity, you understand..

if one were inclined to listen to said songs, where would one go?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why, to the address posted on the poll question header, of course, dear smurphy

or i'll just give you a link here, if you're too lazy for copying and pasting

My Music

Adrian,

As an expert on musical suckiness, I think you definitely don't suck. Your music is not the kind I would go out and buy, kinda reminds me of late 60's coffee shop music. That doesn't mean it isn't good, just that it is not my style.

I think you need to mix it a little differently, bring the vocals forward a little, don't hide behind your guitar.

Did you record this in a studio, or on your pc?

BTW, I liked Kiss best

Adrian,

As an expert on musical suckiness, I think you definitely don't suck.  Your music is not the kind I would go out and buy, kinda reminds me of late 60's coffee shop music.  That doesn't mean it isn't good, just that it is not my style. 

I think you need to mix it a little differently, bring the vocals forward a little, don't hide behind your guitar. 

Did you record this in a studio, or on your pc? 

BTW, I liked Kiss best

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

60's coffee shop music, lol, that's one haven't heard before :P

yeah, i'm terrified of my singing :) i don't have a lot of faith in my voice...

pc, all pc.

'Buddha...' was acoustic

the rest were electric, but played kinda acoustically, without effects :)

and 'Your Prayer' had slide as well, first song i ever wrote with slide.

Thank you for your input, sincerely :)

Adrian

I liked Kiss the best also. You are very talented. Your voice is beautiful. Keep up the good work. I especially like the parts when your singing in low soft tones.  Very good work. :coffee:

Shadow :ph34r:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you very much :)

Adrian

personally, I think it's great, but i'm kinda biased on the subject, so i need opinions!  HONESTY, PLEASE

listen to all four songs before deciding, please, the thought of you judging my entire scope of musical talent (or lack thereof) from one or two songs scares the poopoo out of me, so PLEASE listen to them all :D

thank you

thank you,

THANK YOU

Adrian

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think these would do well at the local folksie coffee shops. But I can't say I liked them. Not that I don't like folksie. I thought that they needed more changeups or something. they seemed to start out well for me, but grow tiresome. I honestly couldn't comment on the vocals, cause my puters sound wasn't good enough to really make them out..

personally, I think it's great, but i'm kinda biased on the subject, so i need opinions!  HONESTY, PLEASE

thank you

thank you,

THANK YOU

Adrian

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think these would do well at the local folksie coffee shops. But I can't say I liked them. Not that I don't like folksie. I thought that they needed more changeups or something. they seemed to start out well for me, but grow tiresome. I honestly couldn't comment on the vocals, cause my puters sound wasn't good enough to really make them out..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hmm...riight on, thank you for your thoughts :D

yeah, i'm terrified of my singing :)   i don't have a lot of faith in my voice...

pc, all pc.

'Buddha...' was acoustic

Adrian

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Back in the late 60's there were these coffe shops where people would gather and play folk music and read poetry and such. Beatnik crowd I guess you would call it. I was more into rock and roll at the time.

If you are using your pc, have you tried MultiTrack Studio recording software? It works really well. There is also a tip about connecting electronic instruments to a pc sound card on my website which you may or may not know about.

Keep up the good work. The world need more creative people and less robots.

yeah, i'm terrified of my singing :)   i don't have a lot of faith in my voice...

pc, all pc.

'Buddha...' was acoustic

Adrian

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Back in the late 60's there were these coffe shops where people would gather and play folk music and read poetry and such. Beatnik crowd I guess you would call it. I was more into rock and roll at the time.

If you are using your pc, have you tried MultiTrack Studio recording software? It works really well. There is also a tip about connecting electronic instruments to a pc sound card on my website which you may or may not know about.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol, i keep getting this coffee shop connection with my music...i suppose it makes since... When me and my wife first split up she told me that we didn't match anyways, she was a small-town country girl, and I needed to be hanging out in a coffee shop somewhere. It was just funny because i had NEVER been to a coffee shop at the time, lol.

I'm not sure if i've tried that one or not...i've tried a lot of them, the one i'm using now is Cakewalk. It's my favorite so far. I know it doesn't sound much like i used ANYTHING, but that was kind of hte idea...I wanted it to be really really raw, i wanted it to sound like I would sound if you were sitting around my bedroom listening to me just jam on my own free time. without the effects, without the pollishing and buffing. some of hte songs are for a potential demo, so i wanted it to be as raw and honest as possible. EVEN if that costs me my demo. I'd rather someone be interested in my music for what it really is than for what kinda commercial crap it can be. :D

thank you, really :)

Adrian

pc, all pc.

'Buddha...' was acoustic

Adrian

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol, i keep getting this coffee shop connection with my music...i suppose it makes since... When me and my wife first split up she told me that we didn't match anyways, she was a small-town country girl, and I needed to be hanging out in a coffee shop somewhere. It was just funny because i had NEVER been to a coffee shop at the time, lol.

I'm not sure if i've tried that one or not...i've tried a lot of them, the one i'm using now is Cakewalk. It's my favorite so far. I know it doesn't sound much like i used ANYTHING, but that was kind of hte idea...I wanted it to be really really raw, i wanted it to sound like I would sound if you were sitting around my bedroom listening to me just jam on my own free time. without the effects, without the pollishing and buffing. some of hte songs are for a potential demo, so i wanted it to be as raw and honest as possible. EVEN if that costs me my demo. I'd rather someone be interested in my music for what it really is than for what kinda commercial crap it can be. :D

thank you, really :)

Adrian

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are going to have to look into that coffee shop idea. It seems to be hitting on you somehow, and hinting to you, or three of us wouldn't have made that connection :)

This is probably going to be the strangest critique you ever got, since I am somewhat hard of hearing. You've got a lot of talent, there. Of the four songs, Kiss is my favorite (I see I am not alone, there).

My advice, and I truly don't mean this to be insulting. I mean this to be developmental: if you have access to a vocal coach, take advantage. Please keep reading: Your voice is a great instrument, but there are a few rough spots and in places a growling texture that have a great edge to them, but it takes a bit of training to be able to do that with your voice time after time and not actually damage the instrument. Do you ever notice your throat feeling sore if you sing for extended periods? That's a danger sign.

That being said, I love the acoustic and clean sound of your instrumentals. It hasn't been played with, and that's a good thing.

I wish I could understand the lyrics, but honestly, they are just past the point where I can make them out. The advantage for me is that I am less caught up in the poetry of the words and am more able to focus on the song as such.

For what it's worth, as a kid, I was completely deaf. My family invested mega bucks in getting me voice coaches who trained me to talk -- and to sing -- so that I didn't sound deaf. Now that my hearing is fading again, I still use my techniques and an occasional training session to keep things sounding good. Until I was 30 and developed a serious case of pharyngitis which damaged my vocal cords, I was able to sing over a 3 1/2 octave range. I don't sing so much any more, but I still use vocal techniques for speaking, and I have finally gotten used to being told that I "don't sound deaf."

Good luck with your music, and I would love to hear more when you write them.

:thumbu:

You are going to have to look into that coffee shop idea.  It seems to be hitting on you somehow, and hinting to you, or three of us wouldn't have made that connection :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Heheh, i think you are correct :)

actually, that's kind of my plan...where i'm at now, about the only places there are to play are bars...I've played at one bar...but i don't much like the atmosphere. There are a couple of little coffee shops, but nothing that has live music...

So, i'm going to go to college...hopefully in August. The college i'm gonna try to go to is in Fayetteville, a little smaller city than where i'm at now, but it has a LOT more of the atmosphere i'm looking for. Actually, the college is on this street, called Dixon st., lined with little coffee shops and bars...those little places are the only reason i'm going to college...lol, gonna get a scholarship so i don't have to do anything for a while, and i can just go to school, and in the free time, play music at all the little places in that area :D

that's the plan anyways...i'll let you know if that works out :)

Adrian

This is probably going to be the strangest critique you ever got, since I am somewhat hard of hearing.  You've got a lot of talent, there.  Of the four songs, Kiss is my favorite (I see I am not alone, there).

My advice, and I truly don't mean this to be insulting.  I mean this to be developmental:  if you have access to a vocal coach, take advantage.  Please keep reading:  Your voice is a great instrument, but there are a few rough spots and in places a growling texture that have a great edge to them, but it takes a bit of training to be able to do that with your voice time after time and not actually damage the instrument.  Do you ever notice your throat feeling sore if you sing for extended periods?  That's a danger sign.

That being said, I love the acoustic and clean sound of your instrumentals.  It hasn't been played with, and that's a good thing.

I wish I could understand the lyrics, but honestly, they are just past the point where I can make them out.  The advantage for me is that I am less caught up in the poetry of the words and am more able to focus on the song as such.

For what it's worth, as a kid, I was completely deaf.  My family invested mega bucks in getting me voice coaches who trained me to talk -- and to sing -- so that I didn't sound deaf.  Now that my hearing is fading again, I still use my techniques and an occasional training session to keep things sounding good.  Until I was 30 and developed a serious case of pharyngitis which damaged my vocal cords, I was able to sing over a 3 1/2 octave range.  I don't sing so much any more, but I still use vocal techniques for speaking, and I have finally gotten used to being told that I "don't sound deaf."

Good luck with your music, and I would love to hear more when you write them.

:thumbu:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Awesome. :)

Wierd? mehbe a little, but regardless, this is my favorite critique so far :) Not to belittle the other great critiques i've gotten so far, but i guess i feel like someone in your very unique possition would know a little more about the importance of sound than most...If you know what i mean :D

hmm...i might consider a vocal coach, if i ever have the time or money...could be quite worthwhile..I have great range...but there are little blank spots in between different highs and lows, if that makes sense. i think a vocal coach could really help me to smooth all that out. (if i'm not making sense i mean something like, singing one key, then another, higher key just fine, but trying to nail the key in between, and completely missing it, yeah?)

the growly parts, or as i call 'em, 'vocal overdrive' :D , i'm actually really careful with that...it took me a LONG time to be able to do that...and ironically, quitting smoking made me have to learn all over again...but anyways, i push limits just enough to expand my range, but i'm very careful not to overdo it...when i start getting tired, i quit pushing myself. No, my throat doesn't get soar...believe it or not, it's a pretty controlled vocal. but still, i deffinitely think that a vocal coach would be something to look into if i ever had the chance...my voice is the one thing that i'm terrified of, musically...

It means a lot to me that you commented on the fact that i use a 'clean' guitar...that's one aspect that has become VERY important to me in my music, lately. I'm really starting to get sick of all the distortion on the radio...in moderation, it can be beautiful, and add a LOT to a song...but i really really think it's over-used...and doesn't even make a lot of sense, the way it's used sometimes...for instance, a love song with distortion all throughout, is like screaming at a person that you love them, right in front of their face. it's just...a little wierd :D

If anyone else is interested in the lyrics, perhaps i could put them up there, on my music page...or, if you're the only one that's interested, i could email them to you if you want? would deffinitely be no problem :)

thank you, for an AWESOME critique :)

Re:the rest of your post-

Hearing, seeing, whatever...these things aren't so important so long as you can FEEL. :) of course, that's a little easier for me to say, i'm not going deaf, but this is what i would try to remember if i were. Even in music...we only use these sounds because we're attempting to make you FEEL something...it's all about feeling, remember that :)

Adrian

I wish I had a faster connection. I like your voice but someone I think already said it needs spiced up a bit. Which I agree with. Very good.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thank you very much...and actually, in a wierd way, i'm kind of happy that half of you are getting bored with the music halfway through...

I know, i'm wierd, but let me explain...I don't want it to be catchy...i hate it when people say, "you need to write a good hook!" that INFURIATES me. that's not what music is about...This is why i can't STAND pop music. it's all about hooks, being catchy.

i'd MUCH rather it kind of wash past you...i'd RATHER you get kinda bored...because then, MAYBE, you'll start searching for something else to hold on to within the music...like, "hmm...poop, there's no hook to this song...well...what IS there?" then, MAYBE, you'll actually find what the music really has in it...maybe you'll find the soul of the music...maybe you'll hear the lyrics, and maybe they'll wash past you too, but MAYBE you'll understand, maybe you'll relate, maybe they'll help you in some way...THAT'S what i'm after. and i'll GLADLY discard 100 potential fans for that one person who i REALLY touch with my music. :)

it's a lot of maybe's, but it's worth it :wub:

So...i write all this to say, basically, that i really really like the fact that i'm getting such diverse responses...this really let's me know that i'm on the right track! even if i'm not there yet... :D

now i'm sooo friggin' e'scited! :P

lol, and i really like the fact that someone voted 'This is GREAT background music...for vomiting.' :lol:

seriously, thank you all so much, i'm needing all the positives AND negatives so much, thank you thank you :D

anyone else, feel free to critique, please :D

Adrian