Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
murphzlaw1

Attacking Others Personal Beliefs Much?

13 posts in this topic

http://forum.ulc.net/index.php?showtopic=20909

I will, however, take the opportunity to remind the whole community that while everyone has the right and responsibility to believe what they feel is right, also VERY important in a community is to respect each other. It makes for a much better community when we all respect each other, and remember that we can learn much from all the people who have been there.

That's what makes this forum wonderful. There are people from many different faiths and beliefs who we can learn from, if we just take the chance to listen.

http://forum.ulc.net/index.php?showtopic=20652

And finally, I want you all to remember the true focus of this forum. This forum was created as a resource for newly ordained ministers. We've turned it into a community, and I realize that within any community of more than 2 people, we're GOING to have conflicts from time to time. Especially when our background is already one of the most controversial subjects around (religion). Remember: We are about religious tolerance. We accept members from ALL faiths. Not just those we agree with. We don't HAVE to agree with a members faith, but we will NOT attack someone because their faith does not agree with ours. The fact that a member is of a different faith gives everyone a wonderful opportunity to learn about that faith. If you can't learn something about a faith you're just hearing about, then why bother showing up? USE this opportunity to expand your own knowledge. Learn more about other faiths in the world. Any deity would say that knowledge is a wonderful thing. Take advantage of it!

These are two of my previous announcements on the subjects at hand. I posted links and quoted what I've said, because it's kinda tiring to have to type it out over and over. Which, apparently, I need to do.

Go ahead. Read them. I'll wait. The topic will be here when you come back.

Finished? Excellent.

For the past few weeks, I've pretty much been letting slide a few of the more glaring infractions of the rules in the, mainly because I believe that as adults, the membership should have an opportunity to calm things down on their own, without having a member of my team come to you and say "Hey, that's not cool, knock it off." I've also been extremely busy making this forum a place you can be proud to call "home" by providing customized skins, so that it's someplace you can enjoy being a part of. There are also a few other modifications I've been considering adding. Games like "draw poker", raffles, trivia, stuff like that.

It's difficult to focus the energy on forum enhancements, tho, when I have to step in and ask you guys to knock it off with the attacks.

It's honestly a mystery to me why you guys can't respect each other enough to say, "Okay, that's your opinion. I respect your right to have it. Here's what I believe," and continue in a civil manner. I've seen a number of attacks on beliefs over the past few days, and a few personal attacks.

I've seen people slam others for believing what they do, and how "wrong" their beliefs are. Who the heck are YOU to say that their beliefs are wrong? It's their faith. It's their lack of faith. Everyone here has very specific reasons for why they believe, or don't, the way they do (or don't.) You get the point.

Allow me to be equally as blunt with you, as you have been with some of your fellow forum members: If ya'll can't learn to at least respect each others' rights to beliefs, I have no use for keeping you on this forum. We're here to share beliefs and thoughts, not attack others for having a different viewpoint than our own. I WILL start suspending and banning people for such attacks. What happens from here is up to you.

Hi, I'm new and I don't see any new quotes for 2014. Most posts are old or am I looking in the wrong area?

Thoughtraveler, is it Though traveler or Thought raveler? Sorry it's just my warped sense of humor. When you asked about new quotes for 2014 I'm not sure that this is the right answer but. Go the the index page and the latest post by date is displayed on the far right. It's how I look for new posts.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy, I have had a lot of help here, from a lot of people who don't look at my beliefs and used theirs for my help. This is a great place!

Bye!

There is also a handy "view new content" option near the top right. It has sub-options which allow you to be more precise about what you want to see, but even without tweaking it works pretty well.

Hi Murph, Thanks for keeping us sane and civil!

Hi Murph, Thanks for keeping us sane and civil!

Deborah, i had no idea you were here.

welcome my friend. i just got my account recently and really enjoy what it is that i'm seeing here.

peace

shalom

or should i say, Shalom

peace.

either way, both work.

It is hard to fathom one person would do that to another. In all my adult (if you can call me that) I have never understood how you could hate in the name of God. Seems contradictory

to what God stands for. Display hate and that is what you will get, Kind of simple

I have never understood how you could hate in the name of God. Seems contradictory

to what God stands for. Display hate and that is what you will get, Kind of simple

Depends on your god... Hate is something that some religions thrive on, particularly the radical elements who make enemies of everyone who don't share their radical beliefs. Here at ULC, I'm glad the "kill the infidel" agenda is not part of our playbook :). The world would be a better place if the "do no harm" motto was applicable to every faith.. Disagreements hurt no one, but we must remain civilized enough to resist personal attacks, even when we think a person is crazy for believing in something that we might consider totally absurd :). Tolerance is often easier said than practiced, but sometimes its important to leave "stupid is as stupid says" alone. (just my stupid opinion)

Every religion has their "Hate Groups"....I would no more call Westboro Baptist Church the spokespersons for Christianity than I would ISIS speaks for Islam, or that FLDS represents the body of the Mormons or...or.... There is good and bad in all groups even my beloved Rune Gilds.

There have been a few topics that have gotten our usually well mannered Members a bit heated and one has now had a couple of calls for peace.

It really bothers me that we can't seem to KEEP things civil and that name calling and topics degrade into attacks on personal morality and ethics. I honestly thought we were all above that sort of thing.

Anyway, Mods can only do so much so I ask Admin to help us keep the peace. So far there's been no need for reporting, but if gentle warnings don't solve the bantering issues, stricter penalties may have to be enforced.

Blessings of Peace,

HI! I'm Phoenix Rising, and Eclectic Wiccan, and this Forum appears to hold the promise of being interesting and informative. Hopefully, it doesn't descend into the name-calling squabbles over whose 'doctrine' is 'most true'....

Welcome Phoenix Rising...we hope so as well!

Reyn til Runa! and check your PM's! ;)

Blessings of Peace,

Al

Infernal Greetings and well said .!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0