"Very truly, I tell you, the one who believes in me will also do the works that I do and, in fact, will do greater works than these, because I am going to the Father." John 14:12 - New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)

While I am not a great believer in the historical accuracy of the Gospel of Luke, I still see value in this verse. Whenever I read this verse, I can not help but think of the many great works human kind has achieved. Mankind has developed cures for many diseases, built automobiles for faster transportation, and cellular communication for immediate long distance communication. What do you, my brothers and sisters, see when you read this verse?

With love,

Brother Yosef

17 hours ago, Yosef said:

"Very truly, I tell you, the one who believes in me will also do the works that I do and, in fact, will do greater works than these, because I am going to the Father." John 14:12 - New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)

While I am not a great believer in the historical accuracy of the Gospel of Luke, I still see value in this verse. Whenever I read this verse, I can not help but think of the many great works human kind has achieved. Mankind has developed cures for many diseases, built automobiles for faster transportation, and cellular communication for immediate long distance communication. What do you, my brothers and sisters, see when you read this verse?

With love,

Brother Yosef

I personally don't think Jesus was speaking of scientific achievements that would advance mankind. I suspect he was referring to the collective works of the apostles and future believers. Not 'greater' in substance, but cumulatively, the number of miracles and the amount of believers would be increased. Jesus preached to Israel, but now we've seen the 'greater works' worldwide.. Greater in quantity, not quality.. jmo 

Yosef,

You mentioned Luke but quoted John, I assume your historicity concerns are with John?

Regardless, the passage you quoted John 14:12 I believe it means exactly what it says. I don't think the achievements of man were what he was talking about; although all skill, knowledge, wisdom, and understanding is attributed to and comes from God according to the Bible.

Also "in my name" (en tow onomati mou) is not a phrase that is looking for opportunity to share the source of this power with mankind. 

So, besides the 7 "I am" (egow hyumee) statements in John, there were 7 signs: 

1) Turned water into wine (2:1-11)

2) Healing (4:46-54)

3) Healing (5:1-18)

4) Feeding (6:1-14)

5) Walking on water (6:15-25)

6) Healing (9:1-41)

7) Raising dead (11:1-46)

....which were shared by John with the intent that the readers would...." come to believe  that Jesus is the Messiah,  the Son of God, and that through believing you may have life in his name". (John 20:31 NRSV). There we are with the name again.

Where as my opinion that the skills, knowledge, wherewithal, etc. that mankind has gained is directly from Jesus, it is also my opinion that this passage is talking specifically about the 7 signs in John's gospel are the "works" (ta erga) that he was talking about that "those who believe" will do, and greater.