Christian "Love" and Hate

The video attempts to associate obedience towards God as being contemptuous towards sin. That much is true.

God hates sin, but insinuating that Christian love is disguised as something hateful is disingenuous to say the least.

Its really promoting the necessity to endorse evil, because that's the loving thing to do. Conflating Christian love as

something hateful just because it doesn't approve of sin is insisting that one must love bad along with good. Ridiculous!

3 hours ago, Dan56 said:

The video attempts to associate obedience towards God as being contemptuous towards sin. That much is true.

God hates sin, but insinuating that Christian love is disguised as something hateful is disingenuous to say the least.

Its really promoting the necessity to endorse evil, because that's the loving thing to do. Conflating Christian love as

something hateful just because it doesn't approve of sin is insisting that one must love bad along with good. Ridiculous!

Over the years, I have read the Bible from cover to cover several times.  It's not what I want it to be.  It's not even what you want it to be.  It's what it is.  In my opinion, the Bible is full of hate.  Obviously, you are not going to agree with me.  Moving on -- to my understanding -- your understanding of the Bible's message is correct.

I think the message is wrong and harmful and full of hate.  That's my strong opinion.  The Bible doesn't care what I think.  Neither do you.  Your understanding of what the Bible says -- in this regard -- is accurate.

:mellow:

• 3 weeks later...

The bible is written by ancient man. It was put together by man. It's concepts are of ancient man. The stories are told by ancient man. There is no evidence except the word of ancient man that any part involves anything that is not the word of ancient man. Believers can argue to the cows come home that their belief is true but they cannot produce any evidence other than the word of ancient man. If you disagree then show me this god. You won't because you cannot.

Their love is conditional that you accept the word of ancient man and their idea of what is righteous behaviour. If you disagree with them then see how fast the shutters close up.

6 hours ago, Pete said:

The bible is written by ancient man. It was put together by man. It's concepts are of ancient man. The stories are told by ancient man. There is no evidence except the word of ancient man that any part involves anything that is not the word of ancient man. Believers can argue to the cows come home that their belief is true but they cannot produce any evidence other than the word of ancient man. If you disagree then show me this god. You won't because you cannot.

Their love is conditional that you accept the word of ancient man and their idea of what is righteous behaviour. If you disagree with them then see how fast the shutters close up.

It's an old saying.  "God is like a mirror.  The mirror never changes, but everyone who looks into it will see something different."

I think it's obvious that a cruel priesthood, will project a cruel God.  They will create cruel Scriptures for that cruel God.  As Freud understood.  We create God in our own image.

The Bible is what it is.  A product of it's harsh, mean spirted time.  We can not expect it to be a loving Humanistic document.  The people who created it were not loving Humanists.  As my Hasidic friend once told me -- "God is not a Liberal."

I should add that there are good and kind things in the Bible.  It takes careful cheery picking to find them, but they are there.  If we try to make the God of the Bible into something that it's not, we are only fooling ourselves.  The material is, as you say, "ancient".  Humanity evolves.  A slow and painful process.

:angel_not: