I used to be a hardcore catholic who would shun my current day self. Never once did I question the validity of the bible as doing so would be blasphemy. Although the more I read, the more questions without answers I had. I would spend hours praying and hours listening trying to find God's voice inside of me for the answer to these questions. Every time the answers were ones of doubt. My parent's would say that was the voice of Satan but I am not so sure. Looking at the multiple translations from Hebrew, Greek, Roman-Latin, etc, I can only imagine how much was lost in translation. Even now, many points in the bible were written "for the times" some claim but that makes no sense. If it was written for the times and God is all seeing, wouldn't God foresee his people forsaking the laws in which he made. What do y'all think about the validity of the bible? I would love to hear my brother's and sister's comments. I am fully open to criticism and will try my best to be civil.

1 hour ago, AlexanderDeMaio said:

I used to be a hardcore catholic who would shun my current day self. Never once did I question the validity of the bible as doing so would be blasphemy. Although the more I read, the more questions without answers I had. I would spend hours praying and hours listening trying to find God's voice inside of me for the answer to these questions. Every time the answers were ones of doubt. My parent's would say that was the voice of Satan but I am not so sure. Looking at the multiple translations from Hebrew, Greek, Roman-Latin, etc, I can only imagine how much was lost in translation. Even now, many points in the bible were written "for the times" some claim but that makes no sense. If it was written for the times and God is all seeing, wouldn't God foresee his people forsaking the laws in which he made. What do y'all think about the validity of the bible? I would love to hear my brother's and sister's comments. I am fully open to criticism and will try my best to be civil.

I'm an Agnostic.  I don't know is a good answer.  You seem stressed.  Really.  Try to relax.          :mellow:

:bye:

8 hours ago, AlexanderDeMaio said:

There are a few "wise" things to be found in there. More or less like a parable or philosophy...

But as a "all knowing and 100% accurate depiction of reality"...? Not so much... :coffee:

5 hours ago, RevBogovac said:

There are a few "wise" things to be found in there. More or less like a parable or philosophy...

I've started to take it at that value. I am beginning to see Jesus of Nazareth as only a teacher rather than the messiah.

12 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

You seem stressed.  Really.  Try to relax. 

Just a little stressed about liberating myself, Other than that the past week has been very eye opening to me. Just wanted to hear my brothers/sisters opinions. 

21 hours ago, AlexanderDeMaio said:

I've started to take it at that value. I am beginning to see Jesus of Nazareth as only a teacher rather than the messiah. [...]

I think that is a healthy look at it... and if I remember correctly if we look at the scrolls that didn't "make it" into the "new testament" he himself saw it more or less that way too... :coffee:

22 hours ago, AlexanderDeMaio said:

I've started to take it at that value. I am beginning to see Jesus of Nazareth as only a teacher rather than the messiah.

Just a little stressed about liberating myself, Other than that the past week has been very eye opening to me. Just wanted to hear my brothers/sisters opinions. 

Good.  We can keep this simple.  A god -- or God -- that can not be demonstrated to exist, is irrelevant and meaningless.  Even if that god actually exists -- so what?  Just like that, no big arguments.  It doesn't matter.

On 2/24/2021 at 9:44 PM, AlexanderDeMaio said:

I personally believe the bible is 100% valid, that it was inspired by God and written for all times. Its the 'Living Word' and not an out-of-date ancient document. Little if anything was lost in translation, a good concordance can help reveal the exact meaning of the Hebrew/Greek words translated into English.

Everyone has questions and don't understand it all, but studying and getting answers will certainly help to solidify your faith. Teachers don't perform miracles or rise from the grave, Christ was Messiah. Bottom line is that belief in anything is ultimately a choice. I've obviously accepted the bible as the Truth, but reject Catholicism.

11 hours ago, Dan56 said:

I've obviously accepted the bible as the Truth, but reject Catholicism.

What is it about Catholicism in particular you reject? Personally, I found communion being the actual body and blood of Christ to be a stretch. I also reject the authority of the Pope, although with all religious leaders some of their teachings speak true to world matters.

On 2/26/2021 at 10:18 AM, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

Good.  We can keep this simple.  A god -- or God -- that can not be demonstrated to exist, is irrelevant and meaningless.  Even if that god actually exists -- so what?  Just like that, no big arguments.  It doesn't matter.

I have recently spoke with a friend and he is more of a "I don't care." while I am an "I don't know." type of person in accordance with a belief in God(s). I try not to think to much about my own faith anymore as it doesn't do anything but stresses me out because of conformity. For now I will just continue my theological studies and create discussions to keep this board active. Hope to see much more of your input!

41 minutes ago, AlexanderDeMaio said:

I have recently spoke with a friend and he is more of a "I don't care." while I am an "I don't know." type of person in accordance with a belief in God(s). I try not to think to much about my own faith anymore as it doesn't do anything but stresses me out because of conformity. For now I will just continue my theological studies and create discussions to keep this board active. Hope to see much more of your input!

I was ordained as a minister of the Apathetic Agnostic Church.  The church motto was -- "We don't know and we don't care."  Words of wisdom.  Words to live by.  Sadly, the church is gone.  The motto still reflects my outlook.

I'm an amiable fellow, given to friendly conversation.  I'm done with arguing.  It's not fun and I'm bored with it.

7 hours ago, AlexanderDeMaio said:

What is it about Catholicism in particular you reject? Personally, I found communion being the actual body and blood of Christ to be a stretch. I also reject the authority of the Pope, although with all religious leaders some of their teachings speak true to world matters.

I agree that the wine & bread are emblems of the life and sacrifice of Christ taken in remembrance of him, they were never meant to represent the actual blood & body of Christ. "This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me" (Luke 22:19).

I rejected Catholicism because it mixes old testament law with the New Covenant. Example, Christ taught to confess your sins to God, and that he became our intermediator, but Catholics still require sins to be confessed to a Priest, that's Old Testament where the Priest would then make a sacrifice for sin. But all that changed, we no longer need a middle man to confess our sins to our Father, the curtain was torn asunder in the Temple when Christ died, we are no longer separated from the Holy of Holies and have direct access for the remission of sin through Christ.

There's a number of other objections I have, like you I reject the authority of the Pope, "Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone" (Ephesians 2:20). I reject the concept of purgatory, memorized prayer, etc.   

2 hours ago, Dan56 said:

I agree that the wine & bread are emblems of the life and sacrifice of Christ taken in remembrance of him, they were never meant to represent the actual blood & body of Christ. "This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me" (Luke 22:19).

I rejected Catholicism because it mixes old testament law with the New Covenant. Example, Christ taught to confess your sins to God, and that he became our intermediator, but Catholics still require sins to be confessed to a Priest, that's Old Testament where the Priest would then make a sacrifice for sin. But all that changed, we no longer need a middle man to confess our sins to our Father, the curtain was torn asunder in the Temple when Christ died, we are no longer separated from the Holy of Holies and have direct access for the remission of sin through Christ.

There's a number of other objections I have, like you I reject the authority of the Pope, "Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone" (Ephesians 2:20). I reject the concept of purgatory, memorized prayer, etc. 

I thought of these things you listed when I was younger but was too busy being entranced by the wealth of the church to care. Almost like it's done purposely to attract people ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Anyway thanks for sharing brother/sister.