Advice wanted for future as a minister

I see the ULC as serious as any other church or org in the United States. While many call the church an "ordination mill", I call it freedom. I have always taken an interest in religion and interfaith dialogue. My curiosity of the world's numerous religions has brought me to ULC and this forum. As an ordained member of ULC, I want to further my knowledge and training to be an active minister in my community.  I have read many posts of members offering their services, one being the late Brother Atwater Vitki, rest in peace, and his time at a hospital near him. These experiences give me hope that when I feel ready, I can offer my services as a chaplain to local institutions. I have spent time looking as programs to learn more about religions and the role of a minister/chaplain. I know of ULC Seminary but I have read Rev. Amy Long is on a leave of absence, and none of my emails from the multiple addresses I sent to have responded, so I am skeptical to pursue. One institute I found that caught my interest is https://chaplaincyinstitute.org/ which prides themselves on being an Interfaith seminary which is what I seek. I am under the impression that getting taken seriously is difficult as the ULC reputation isn't as high as other churches. I am seeking to one day make this a full-time vocation, so if any brother/sisters have advice for further education or training, please do tell.

Peace!

2 hours ago, AlexanderDeMaio said:

I see the ULC as serious as any other church or org in the United States. While many call the church an "ordination mill", I call it freedom. I have always taken an interest in religion and interfaith dialogue. My curiosity of the world's numerous religions has brought me to ULC and this forum. As an ordained member of ULC, I want to further my knowledge and training to be an active minister in my community.  I have read many posts of members offering their services, one being the late Brother Atwater Vitki, rest in peace, and his time at a hospital near him. These experiences give me hope that when I feel ready, I can offer my services as a chaplain to local institutions. I have spent time looking as programs to learn more about religions and the role of a minister/chaplain. I know of ULC Seminary but I have read Rev. Amy Long is on a leave of absence, and none of my emails from the multiple addresses I sent to have responded, so I am skeptical to pursue. One institute I found that caught my interest is https://chaplaincyinstitute.org/ which prides themselves on being an Interfaith seminary which is what I seek. I am under the impression that getting taken seriously is difficult as the ULC reputation isn't as high as other churches. I am seeking to one day make this a full-time vocation, so if any brother/sisters have advice for further education or training, please do tell.

Peace!

I think you are making this overly complicated.  If you want to work in a local hospital -- or prison -- or whatever  -- then find a chaplain who works there already.  They can tell you what credentials you will need.  Then you will know how to proceed.  At least you will have an idea of what to do next.  It won't serve your need to get credentials, unless they take you where you want to end up.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...