Does Hedonism make the world a better place?

47 minutes ago, Pete said:

It can be painful caring for people who are suff or struggling. When we emphasise we take on some of that hurt. We therefore need to look after ourselves. 

The myth persists that suffering brings out the best in people.  That suffering makes us noble.  No.  Suffering makes people mean.  If we close our selves off from the suffering of others, we can't do justice to our calling.  If we do share in the pain -- we share in the pain.

I can't even imagine what it's like to work in a Covid ward.  It's beyond anything I've even been exposed to.  So much death and suffering.  So relentless.

Especially knowing that if governments made the right decisions and acted quickly, many would not be suffering. It breaks my heart. Michael Rosen, A UK/Jewish journalist/Author/ nice person, showed an article on facebook from the Daily Telegraph paper, which was talking about the positive side of covid in that it was wiping out the elderly and sick from being a burden on the economy. I am sure that has a lot to do with this crisis. Trump and Johnson have been a disaster. 

(Before any resident Bible bashing/Trump supporter gets involved. I do not want to know)

Edited by Pete
26 minutes ago, Pete said:

Especially knowing that if governments made the right decisions and acted quickly, many would not be suffering. It breaks my heart. Michael Rosen, A UK/Jewish journalist/Author/ nice person, showed an article on facebook from the Daily Telegraph paper, which was talking about the positive side of covid in that it was wiping out the elderly and sick from being a burden on the economy. I am sure that has a lot to do with this crisis. Trump and Johnson have been a disaster. 

(Before any resident Bible bashing/Trump supporter gets involved. I do not want to know)

It depends on which part of the economy.  Big Pharma needs people who are old and sick.

:whist:

We are not much better in the UK. We have homeless sleeping on the streets and food banks and a government declaring that it is a choice. I wish they could be made to change places. For now we have a health service but sadly that is being sold to US companies and others by a government wanting to make a quick billion for themselves. Johnson is no better than Trump.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

We are not much better in the UK. We have homeless sleeping on the streets and food banks and a government declaring that it is a choice. I wish they could be made to change places. For now we have a health service but sadly that is being sold to US companies and others by a government wanting to make a quick billion for themselves. Johnson is no better than Trump.

I look to British Medical as a shining example for the rest of the world.  Is that really in danger?

Yes. During this epidemic Johnson and others have been throwing billions of money and contracts to private individuals who have sponsored the tory party. He has also held secret meetings with US companies whilst denying he is privatizing it. Johnson just lies and carries on. They also replaced the head of NHS England with the wife of the chancellor. She has no previous experience or knowledge of health care. She even went on TV saying no one could have known viruses mutate. Yet, everyone in health knows that.

50 minutes ago, Pete said:

Yes. During this epidemic Johnson and others have been throwing billions of money and contracts to private individuals who have sponsored the tory party. He has also held secret meetings with US companies whilst denying he is privatizing it. Johnson just lies and carries on. They also replaced the head of NHS England with the wife of the chancellor. She has no previous experience or knowledge of health care. She even went on TV saying no one could have known viruses mutate. Yet, everyone in health knows that.

Everyone with a basic education knows that viruses mutate.  Children know this from the News.

:sigh2:

That was one of the reasons for a lockdown. The more people the virus spreads too the more likely there would be more mutations. The more mutations the more the vaccine will need tweeking and the longer we have the virus. 

That is why I think anti maskers are criminal. They are risking themselves and others in the process. 

6 hours ago, Pete said:

That was one of the reasons for a lockdown. The more people the virus spreads too the more likely there would be more mutations. The more mutations the more the vaccine will need tweeking and the longer we have the virus. 

That is why I think anti maskers are criminal. They are risking themselves and others in the process. 

You probably know about the super spreader events that were the maskles Trump rallies.  Even now, after everything, the mask mandates in Texas were rescinded.  Knowledge has limits.  Stupidity has no limits at all.

:sigh2:     :whist:

• Like 1
On 3/7/2021 at 7:14 AM, Pete said:

Criminal? Really?!? I think you are missing "the big picture" here a bit bud...

Yes, the more it spreads, the more it mutates et cterea... BUT (big but as you might have noticed): viruses are an everyday reality. This one too. SARS/Covid is here to stay. We - as a whole - will have to "deal" with it. The quicker we manage that, the better. We can discuss how we want to do that. But sticking your head in the sand (or behind a mask for that matter) and labelling other people as "criminal" doesn't really help IMO.

Dr Mike Yeadon (highly skilled, educated and experienced; retired respiratory pharmacist and vice president of Pfizer) explains it really eloquently (and much better than I can):

https://youtu.be/Zfo0yg1mhp4 

There is viruses that help and viruses that hinder good health. Wearing a mask helps prevent the spread by helping people resist infection. Given the numbers that have died both in the states and the UK by the poor responses. I have been dealing with infection for years. The sooner we get the vaccines out the better. This virus has been mishandled from the start. 

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

There is viruses that help and viruses that hinder good health. Wearing a mask helps prevent the spread by helping people resist infection. Given the numbers that have died both in the states and the UK by the poor responses. I have been dealing with infection for years. The sooner we get the vaccines out the better. This virus has been mishandled from the start. 

The new vaccine from Johnson and Johnson will help a lot.

• Only one dose instead of two
  • Normal refrigeration instead of deep freeze
  • Smaller vials so less waste
  • High production in the pipe line

Things are looking up.  All we have have to do now, is avoid being stupid for a few more months.  

That sounds like famous last words.

:diablo:

•  

It is hard because people are being given stupid advice. I have a friend who is a scientist working in virolgy for Sheffield Hallam University and people are arguing with him because they read something on Facebook. It is amazing. Then there is those who care more about profit than people and just want people working and do not care if they die. It is no accident that Countries like New Zealand, Korea, and Singapore have done better than other countries. Why? Because they took positive action from the start. Well, maybe not North Korea. That is because few want to go there.

Edited by Pete
2 hours ago, Pete said:

It is hard because people are being given stupid advice. I have a friend who is a scientist working in virolgy for Sheffield Hallam University and people are arguing with him because they read something on Facebook. It is amazing. Then there is those who care more about profit than people and just want people working and do not care if they die. It is no accident that Countries like New Zealand, Korea, and Singapore have done better than other countries. Why? Because they took positive action from the start. Well, maybe not North Korea. That is because few want to go there.

Maybe I lack perspective.  Maybe I lack understanding.  Let's see:

America has 4 percent of the world's population.

American has 20 percent of the world's covid casualties.

President Trump turned the White House into a virus hot zone.

President Trump sent a mob to lynch Congress.

What am I lacking that I don't see Trump's greatness?

:bad:

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Pete said:

Wearing a mask only helps "in theory" unfortunately. More and more studies are being published that show the initial WHO reaction was the right one. Wearing masks by the general public actually worsens the situation:

1. people are simply too stupid/lazy/whatever to use them properly (even healthcare professionals); they re-use them, they touch their faces with their filthy fingers, they use them for too long. All factors that actually help the spread of viruses and bacteria.

2. The use of masks in public spaces actually "help" people to "avoid" the much more important social distancing (which actually DOES help against the spread...).

:coffee:

I want to throw a controversial question out there: why is it that we are all so preoccupied with Covid-19? I am not saying it isn't out there. I am also not saying it isn't a terrible way to die, it is. But if it were such a serious pandemic disease wouldn't the worlds' mortality rate have jump more than exactly 0% (in 2020 compared to 2019): https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/WLD/world/death-rate

PS the "note" on that page has been added recently, I am willing to discuss more recent/actual data. The question stands.