1 hour ago, Pete said:

I know this is not easy but communism is not communism..

After the Russian revolution there was mass starvation. 17 differing countries including the US and Britain tried to invade it. In the rural areas the peasant farmers still wanted to maintain their control on food prices. Stalin who was rejected by Lenin and the Bolsheviks worked as the secretary.  After Lenin's death he pretended he and Lenin were best buddies and took control and ran Russia like a single capitalist factory but instead of the millionaires taking the profits the party did. This was the same with Mao. It was Stalin who put up the statues. Lenin had said previously he did not want this and they only collect pigeons. In both Russia and China there was no rule by the people. Both had dictators. They traded as one big factory and became state capitalist. It was the dictators who tried to repress religion because it was a channel for the discontented. Lenin view was to just ignore the religions and to not give them power over the politics, believing without power they would slowly fade away. Stalin and Mao went out of their to have mass persecutions of the religious to silence them. This was to stop the religious challenging them. So atheism was used as a tool rather than a state religion.

Yes.  That says it well.

:cheers:

On 1/28/2021 at 7:29 PM, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

If things ever go back to "normal", what ever that is, I would like to investigate Ethical Culture.

I'm also curious about Falun Gong.

:mellow:

I had a friend who did all the exercises. I still do not know why china banned it.

28 minutes ago, Pete said:

I had a friend who did all the exercises. I still do not know why china banned it.

There is a propaganda war going on, between China and Falun Gong.  It is hard to know where the truth lies.  I take it as a given, that the government of China is evil and vicious.  They do persecute religion.  That does not mean that their opposition is Good.

I am curious about the Falun Gong qigong exercises.  It's on my to do list, when it's safe to gather in groups.

What does your friend say about their qigong?  

:mellow:

On 1/30/2021 at 7:45 PM, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

:bye:

Well, did it help your back pain?  Unlike ideology, physical therapy should have some degree of effectiveness.

The exercises did help at time. Trouble is my back is a lot worse now and limits what I do. My bones are getting old and degenerating. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/1/2021 at 3:24 PM, Pete said:

The exercises did help at time. Trouble is my back is a lot worse now and limits what I do. My bones are getting old and degenerating. 

:offtopic2:

Aside from the qigong/reiki -- there are other things I take for my arthritis.  I take these supplements on the advice of my rheumatologist.

Fish oil (Omega 3 fatty acids; Cinnamon capsules, turmeric capsules, ginger capsules and garlic pills.  These are natural anti-inflammatories.

She also has me taking daily Vitamin D3.

On the advice of my nutritionist, I also stopped drinking cow's milk.  I was amazed by how much that helped.

I still have osteoarthritis and it still hurts, but these things help.

Getting old is not for wimps.

On 3/5/2021 at 3:57 AM, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

:offtopic2:

Aside from the qigong/reiki -- there are other things I take for my arthritis.  I take these supplements on the advice of my rheumatologist.

Fish oil (Omega 3 fatty acids; Cinnamon capsules, turmeric capsules, ginger capsules and garlic pills.  These are natural anti-inflammatories.

She also has me taking daily Vitamin D3.

On the advice of my nutritionist, I also stopped drinking cow's milk.  I was amazed by how much that helped.

I still have osteoarthritis and it still hurts, but these things help.

Getting old is not for wimps.

Yes, the stuff you eat and drink also influences your body (a lot). Besides cow's milk also try eliminating all wheat and acidy foods/(carbonated)drinks from your diet...

7 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

Wheat?  Why wheat?

Mainly because of the gluten in them, but for a big part also because of the genetic modifications made on them. The "modern" wheat does not even ressemble the original (genetically) for 50%. Just for you reference; if we consider chimpansee and bonobo monkeys to resemble men (genetically) for at least 98%, would you let a chimp/bonobo drive a car? 

But if you'd like to know more about it cardiologist Dr. William Davis has published a lot about it. All I know is that my inflammations (shoulder, back) disappeared and the moment I consume wheat again I feel like an invalid. Strangly enough I can eat a Snickers without any side effects but 2 hours after eating a whole grain sandwitch I'm "broken"...

1 hour ago, RevBogovac said:

Mainly because of the gluten in them, but for a big part also because of the genetic modifications made on them. The "modern" wheat does not even ressemble the original (genetically) for 50%. Just for you reference; if we consider chimpansee and bonobo monkeys to resemble men (genetically) for at least 98%, would you let a chimp/bonobo drive a car? 

But if you'd like to know more about it cardiologist Dr. William Davis has published a lot about it. All I know is that my inflammations (shoulder, back) disappeared and the moment I consume wheat again I feel like an invalid. Strangly enough I can eat a Snickers without any side effects but 2 hours after eating a whole grain sandwitch I'm "broken"...

A gluten free diet is a serious undertaking.  Something to consider, but not now.

5 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

You seem to be saying that small amounts of gluten are harmless.  Well?  How little gluten is too much?  

That's one of the two things; to answer your question first: that depends on your body. It's quite individual (ranging from people with a very low tolerance and diagnosed as such to people hardly noticing any effects, like my wife, and everything in between). You'll have to "feel" it yourself... 

The second thing is also important: do avoid gluten, but also avoid "gluten free" products (the are full of crap usually)...

52 minutes ago, RevBogovac said:

That's one of the two things; to answer your question first: that depends on your body. It's quite individual (ranging from people with a very low tolerance and diagnosed as such to people hardly noticing any effects, like my wife, and everything in between). You'll have to "feel" it yourself... 

The second thing is also important: do avoid gluten, but also avoid "gluten free" products (the are full of crap usually)...

Just so.  Pork rinds are advertised as gluten free.