Evolution

2 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

Hello Dan.  This is not unique to Christianity.  In general, religions thrive on persecution.  Two thousand years ago, Rome made that mistake with Christianity.  Look how that turned out.  I rather expect that without antisemitism, Judaism might have passed, long ago.  It continues to this day.  In modern China, the Falun Gong religion is being viciously persecuted.  The result?  Falun Gong is spreading around the world like wild fire.

:sigh2:

It's true.  People who don't understand history, are doomed to repeat it.  Over time, you have frequently suggested that my non-belief is an opposite version of your belief.  You have never understood me.  I have come to understand this great truth.  Opposing religion just feeds the beast.  It is better not to play -- and let it starve.  Since religious persecution -- or just being mean -- is clearly counter productive -- that it does no good -- there is no point.  It is useless.

:mellow:

Perhaps the Truth thrives because its true, or at least perceived to be true. People need and cling to hope, so they hang onto their belief even when efforts are made to disseminate it as being fictitious.

Atheism attacks Christianity as much as Christianity attacks Atheism. One is true and the other false, polar opposites don't mix, so your always going to get a conflict. Telling an Atheist that they need to believe may be insulting to them, but so is telling a Christian they shouldn't believe.

7163ed3bc59e9deb51a2f003caa92ee2.jpg

2 hours ago, Dan56 said:

Perhaps the Truth thrives because its true, or at least perceived to be true. People need and cling to hope, so they hang onto their belief even when efforts are made to disseminate it as being fictitious.

Atheism attacks Christianity as much as Christianity attacks Atheism. One is true and the other false, polar opposites don't mix, so your always going to get a conflict. Telling an Atheist that they need to believe may be insulting to them, but so is telling a Christian they shouldn't believe.

7163ed3bc59e9deb51a2f003caa92ee2.jpg

Oh, Dan.  When did I ever tell you what to believe -- or disbelieve?  You want to believe?  Then believe -- and much joy may it bring you. 

If you want me to believe, then I need evidence.  Objective, verifiable, evidence.

I am not at war with you.  Spiritual or otherwise.  The Earth is so small.  We have to find a way to live with each other in peace, and share this tiny planet.  For the rest, we can paraphrase Scripture.  If God is behind Christianity, it will stand.  If God is not behind Christianity, it will pass.  I have decided that it's not my problem.   Is it your problem?  That is not for me to say.

It is the joy of Apathetic Agnosticism.  I don't know and I don't care.  Or we can paraphrase from the Lilies of the Field.  I know not,  neither do I care.

:coffee:

16 hours ago, Dan56 said:

Perhaps the Truth thrives because its true, or at least perceived to be true. People need and cling to hope, so they hang onto their belief even when efforts are made to disseminate it as being fictitious. [...]

Exactly Dan! If some cataclysmic event wiped out most of humanity and all written knowledge that would be exactly what would happen; science would come back exactly as it is (1+1=2 and 1^1=1 et cetera), but although religions would come back non would be exactly the same as before... the truth thrives.

3 hours ago, RevBogovac said:

Exactly Dan! If some cataclysmic event wiped out most of humanity and all written knowledge that would be exactly what would happen; science would come back exactly as it is (1+1=2 and 1^1=1 et cetera), but although religions would come back non would be exactly the same as before... the truth thrives.

Atheism would also return.  With the first doubting mind.     :coffee:

20 hours ago, RevBogovac said:

Exactly Dan! If some cataclysmic event wiped out most of humanity and all written knowledge that would be exactly what would happen; science would come back exactly as it is (1+1=2 and 1^1=1 et cetera), but although religions would come back none would be exactly the same as before... the truth thrives.

"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever" (Hebrews 13:8). So I suspect God would not be wiped out in any cataclysmic event, even if He causes it like in Noah's day.

57 minutes ago, Dan56 said:

"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever" (Hebrews 13:8). So I suspect God would not be wiped out in any cataclysmic event, even if He causes it like in Noah's day.

Fan-Fiction?          :birgits_giggle:          :book:

1 hour ago, Dan56 said:

The biblical "flood" has been discussed already: fiction... 

12 hours ago, Dan56 said:

Sea shells found on mountains isn't fiction.. A flood seems like a plausible answer.

Yes, I actually have a couple of those in a display case in my study. Now comes the science; those sea shells are there because those mountains have been sea bottoms millions of years ago. I know your bronze age book says the earth isn't that old but carbon dating actually proves otherwise. Those sea bottoms have been pushed up bu tectonic plate movements (another part of science, how nice)...

The nice part is that those sea shells actually are impossible to have been grow or deposited by that supposed flood because they are all millions of years old and not all from the same (40 days was it?) period...

Seems like a much more plausible (and provable) answer.

But as I have said already, the "flood" has been discussed elsewhere and can be considered fiction (barring the tsunamis that have obviously occured and will continue to occur but hardly cover that story from the bible). 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RevBogovac said:

Yes, I actually have a couple of those in a display case in my study. Now comes the science; those sea shells are there because those mountains have been sea bottoms millions of years ago. I know your bronze age book says the earth isn't that old but carbon dating actually proves otherwise. Those sea bottoms have been pushed up bu tectonic plate movements (another part of science, how nice)...

The nice part is that those sea shells actually are impossible to have been grow or deposited by that supposed flood because they are all millions of years old and not all from the same (40 days was it?) period...

Seems like a much more plausible (and provable) answer.

But as I have said already, the "flood" has been discussed elsewhere and can be considered fiction (barring the tsunamis that have obviously occured and will continue to occur but hardly cover that story from the bible). 

We can simply take the story at face value, then look around for confirmation.

1.  Every ecco system -- every habitat -- all of them -- were destroyed.

2.  All plants and all animals drowned; so the air became unbreathable.  No more oxygen-carbon dioxide cycle.

3.  The plant eaters from the ark all starved.  All the predators from the ark starved.  There was no food for any of them.

4.  The Earth died, beyond any ability to recover.

Now, we look for confirmation.          :lol: