Brother Lobl, It maybe dishonest, and it maybe theft. However, some historians say our holiday slowly transformed or changed into the holiday as we know it today. Is it dishonest when the baby transforms into a child? It it theft when we all use a commonality like the wheel, a hammer, or an idea like a holiday? Certainly it's true that dishonesty and theft is not doing the right thing.

25 minutes ago, Robert_Bruce_Ferguson said:

Brother Lobl, It maybe dishonest, and it maybe theft. However, some historians say our holiday slowly transformed or changed into the holiday as we know it today. Is it dishonest when the baby transforms into a child? It it theft when we all use a commonality like the wheel, a hammer, or an idea like a holiday? Certainly it's true that dishonesty and theft is not doing the right thing.

I am not concerned with "some historians".  We are a church.  I speak my truth as I understand it.  The origin of these holidays is Pagan.  Yes.  "These".  I'm also thinking of Christmas and others.  The new religion looted the past, and made these events their own.  They created and maintained new narratives that obscured past Pagan contributions.  It was theft and it was dishonest.  There is no statute of limitations on cultural crime.  It was wrong then.  It is wrong now.  Theft and dishonesty do not become legitimate with the passing of time.

:mellow:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cuchulain said:

Adoption of another culture's events certainly wouldn't be wrong if credit was given.  However not only is credit lacking but the thieves deliberately meant to harm the original culture by demonizing and usurping them.  

Yes. And think of the people who were killed for 'acts of heresy" while following the original culture's intent and holiday.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cuchulain said:

Adoption of another culture's events certainly wouldn't be wrong if credit was given.  However not only is credit lacking but the thieves deliberately meant to harm the original culture by demonizing and usurping them.  

Yes.     :clap:

• 1 year later...