Coolhand

Epic Debate Over God's Existance

So then some guys wrote down that particular piece as a fulfillment of prophecy that they had previously studied?  Yeah that's called confirmation bias.  They wrote in support of a specific agenda.  But if you have evidence of someone without any agenda confirming this as history then we'll talk.

18 hours ago, cuchulain said:

So then some guys wrote down that particular piece as a fulfillment of prophecy that they had previously studied?  Yeah that's called confirmation bias.  They wrote in support of a specific agenda.  But if you have evidence of someone without any agenda confirming this as history then we'll talk.

If they accurately reported what happened, then there's no bias about it.... It was unbiased confirmation of a 1000 year old prophecy. What was their agenda? To prove Roman soldiers gambled?

19 hours ago, cuchulain said:

Prove it was accurately reported.

For one, more than one person recorded the same thing. Can you prove that the story of Julius Caesar being stabbed to death by the senate was accurately reported? I personally trust the source, but nearly every historical event is accepted by faith. We really cant even trust that anything on CNN is accurately reported. 

7 hours ago, Dan56 said:

For one, more than one person recorded the same thing. Can you prove that the story of Julius Caesar being stabbed to death by the senate was accurately reported? I personally trust the source, but nearly every historical event is accepted by faith. We really cant even trust that anything on CNN is accurately reported. 

How many people reported it?  What is your source?  When were these reports written?  That about caesar is diversionary.  I dont believe you can prove the sources youve stated exist and are authentic.

4 hours ago, cuchulain said:

How many people reported it?  What is your source?  When were these reports written?  That about caesar is diversionary.  I dont believe you can prove the sources youve stated exist and are authentic.

5 people mentioned it. King David (Psalms 22:18), Matthew 27:35, Mark 15:24, Luke 23:34, John 19:24... That's multiple sources... The 4 gospels were written between 40 and 70 AD.

My Caesar comparison was not diversionary, its very relevant in proving ancient history. For example; Very little hard evidence about Cleopatra exists. Most of what know about her today is based on a biography written by Plutarch 200 years after her death. Early accounts of her life were given the anti-Cleopatra, pro-Roman slant promoted by Octavian. So with regards to the details of the crucifixion, I doubt that 500 written reports would meet with your satisfaction? It boils down to whether a person chooses to believe in the accuracy of what people of any time period recorded. Would you believe that Lincoln delivered the Gettysburg Address if there were no pictures? Did Lincoln write it or was it the work of Edward Everett?