Laws, commandments, culture, nature

VonNoble

Instinctively we assess survival risks, calculate danger and threats.  

Laws of society/ culture establish norms. 

We evaluate prices, time expenditures, and other people using acquired information and experience filters. 

Can judgement be taught?
 Legislated?

Weaponized? 

von

12 minutes ago, VonNoble said:

We evaluate prices, time expenditures, and other people using acquired information and experience filters. 

Can judgement be taught?
 Legislated?

Weaponized? 

von

Evidently, yes.  We call it "education".     :mellow:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VonNoble said:

Can judgement be taught?
 Legislated?

Weaponized? 

von

Another word for "judgement" is bias. So, yes, in many instances it is taught, everywhere, at all times.

Jonathan H. b. Lobl, 

your answer = education

Key, 

Judgement equal bias.

I thank you both. 

When a disaster occurs, and I am unfamiliar with the area,  I may run without knowing which way is the safest.   In fear, might run along side anyone I assess to look like they know what they are doing.   

Short of a disaster where survival could over-ride bias and education.

Are we educated to have bias?

Whom or what drives learned judgment and bias?

von

16 hours ago, VonNoble said:

Jonathan H. b. Lobl, 

your answer = education

Key, 

Judgement equal bias.

I thank you both. 

When a disaster occurs, and I am unfamiliar with the area,  I may run without knowing which way is the safest.   In fear, might run along side anyone I assess to look like they know what they are doing.   

von

I'm plodding my way through John.  It's boring and tedious and I keep falling asleep.  It's like literary chloroform.

So far, I have not found anything, that has anything, to do with reality.  I have not yet found a reason to care about any of it.

:coffee:

21 hours ago, VonNoble said:

Jonathan H. b. Lobl, 

your answer = education

Key, 

Judgement equal bias.

I thank you both. 

von

In fear, you may not be assessing anything, necessarily. Rather, you may be allowing your instinctual "flight or fight" response take over. In which case, nothing is learned until after your survival as to whether it was the ideal action to take. (Basically, as you state here.)

Herd instinct is to run from a predatory element en masse. So as to reduce chance of of said element focusing on one single target within it, but rather on those outside of the herd. Which doesn't always work with humans, as mass target is a greater effect of mass casualties, if that is what is wanted.

Otherwise, education and bias are taught from norms established by interactions of immediate influencers, which can be family, friends, or society one lives in. Depending on outside influence via migration away or access to information outside of one's society may or may not change this. Thus, it is a constant learning process, as well as an issue of acceptance one way or the other.

Edited by Key
more thought

5 minutes ago, Key said:

In fear, you may not be assessing anything, necessarily. Rather, you may be allowing your instinctual "flight or fight" response take over. In which case, nothing is learned until after your survival as to whether it was the ideal action to take. (Basically, as you state here.)

Otherwise, education and bias are taught from norms established by interactions of immediate influencers, which can be family, friends, or society one lives in. Depending on outside influence via migration away or access to information outside of one's society may or may not change this. Thus, it is a constant learning process, as well as an issue of acceptance one way or the other.

Fear?     :birgits_giggle:     

No.     :coffee:

45 minutes ago, Key said:

Care to elaborate the question?

You asked.  You seem to think that I'm afraid of something.   Fight or flight?  That this fear, is inhibiting my understanding, of this profound masterpiece of Godly information.  No.  I am amazed that this boring, tedious, drivel, is somehow supposed to change my life.  That after I finish John -- My opinion will then be wanted.  I'm less than halfway through.  It keeps putting me to sleep.  It's chloroform in print.

What do you think that I'm afraid of?

any smart human has some fears,but i'm not going to try to list them for anybody.

can judgement be taught?i don't believe so,especially given our current government,and the jackass in chief.

good to see you again von,it has been a very long time.

On 6/9/2020 at 1:45 PM, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

You asked.  You seem to think that I'm afraid of something.   Fight or flight?  That this fear, is inhibiting my understanding, of this profound masterpiece of Godly information.  No.  I am amazed that this boring, tedious, drivel, is somehow supposed to change my life.  That after I finish John -- My opinion will then be wanted.  I'm less than halfway through.  It keeps putting me to sleep.  It's chloroform in print.

What do you think that I'm afraid of?

Nope. I had no inkling that you had fear of something. Although, I do believe we all do. Myself, included.

I had more in mind in asking why you posted fear as a question in response to my comment. Thought you might have had some insight to share. I'm no mind reader, Jonathan. And I'm more open minded to other views than some, I like to think.

Frankly, I have no need to place reading John as a priority for me. So, if you had an opinion, share if you like, but I'm not the one asking for it.