Interesting

I just find it baffling when they think that their view is the only one valid and it is self evident when in fact it is far from it. It's like someone we know saying the reason we disagree is because we hate the bible when in fact we doubt its credibility. The idea of hate suggests that we have feelings invested in it when in fact it means so little to us. Its that they cannot stand. Whether they heard the voice of god on mount Sinai as Judaism, or was told by an angel as in Islam or Jesus was god and man in Christianity, its all on shaky territory. There is no tangible evidence and much has been spread by word of mouth before it was written. Even in Islam the family all took a place in writing it down.There were no independent witnesses and nor do we see these things today.

2 hours ago, Pete said:

I just find it baffling when they think that their view is the only one valid and it is self evident when in fact it is far from it. It's like someone we know saying the reason we disagree is because we hate the bible when in fact we doubt its credibility. The idea of hate suggests that we have feelings invested in it when in fact it means so little to us. Its that they cannot stand. Whether they heard the voice of god on mount Sinai as Judaism, or was told by an angel as in Islam or Jesus was god and man in Christianity, its all on shaky territory. There is no tangible evidence and much has been spread by word of mouth before it was written. Even in Islam the family all took a place in writing it down.There were no independent witnesses and nor do we see these things today.

They understand themselves as soldiers, engaged in spiritual warfare.  If we don't understand this, we miss the point of being a Fundamentalist.  They are soldiers, and it is war.

Ephesians 6 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right. Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise;) that it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth. And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.

Servants, be obedient to them that are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in singleness of your heart, as unto Christ; not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but as the servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart; with good will doing service, as to the Lord, and not to men: knowing that whatsoever good thing any man doeth, the same shall he receive of the Lord, whether he be bond or free. And, ye masters, do the same things unto them, forbearing threatening: knowing that your Master also is in heaven; neither is there respect of persons with him.

10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. 11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. 1Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. 14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; 15 and your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 16 above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. 17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God: 1praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints; 19 and for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel, 20 for which I am an ambassador in bonds: that therein I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.

21 But that ye also may know my affairs, and how I do, Tychicus, a beloved brother and faithful minister in the Lord, shall make known to you all things: 22 whom I have sent unto you for the same purpose, that ye might know our affairs, and that he might comfort your hearts.

23 Peace be to the brethren, and love with faith, from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. 24 Grace be with all them that love our Lord Jesus Christ in sincerity. Amen.

Written from Rome unto the Ephesians by Tychicus.

I know these verses well. The sword and shield is the word of god which they equate to the babble. Never giving a thought to the many changes it went through, its lack of eye witnesses in the NT, language variance, editing by scribes, and synthesis as which books went in it right into the middle ages. 

Even the Paulian content. Chosen to the exception of other writings at the time. Not mentioning Paul wrote his stuff before the gospels and the gospels were influenced by Paul. Not bad for someone who never met the Jesus he talks about or had much to do with those who had. The so called word of god babble is built on shaky ground.

Edited by Pete
5 hours ago, Pete said:

I know these verses well. The sword and shield is the word of god which they equate to the babble. Never giving a thought to the many changes it went through, its lack of eye witnesses in the NT, language variance, editing by scribes, and synthesis as which books went in it right into the middle ages. 

Even the Paulian content. Chosen to the exception of other writings at the time. Not mentioning Paul wrote his stuff before the gospels and the gospels were influenced by Paul. Not bad for someone who never met the Jesus he talks about or had much to do with those who had. The so called word of god babble is built on shaky ground.

My point, was that spiritual warriors already have the TRUTH.  They are not interested in being reasonable, or in compromise.  A spiritual warrior does not negotiate with the Devil or his servants.  It makes them irritating company.

:mellow:

:rolleyes:

I was following, when the Knights Templar, took the bones to Southern France.

I was following, when Jesus and Marry Madeline escaped to Southern France.

I was following, when Jesus returned to his Buddhist origins in Kashmir.

The final segment, when we are told that all that matters is faith in the Christian message.........  No.  Without a historic risen Christ, there is nothing.  The symbolism game won't fly.  Unless they want to say that God is symbolism.  At that point, we might as well go with Atheism.

:sigh2:

1 Cor. 15

12 Now if Christ be preached that he rose from the dead, how say some among you that there is no resurrection of the dead? 13 But if there be no resurrection of the dead, then is Christ not risen: 14 and if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain. 15 Yea, and we are found false witnesses of God; because we have testified of God that he raised up Christ: whom he raised not up, if so be that the dead rise not. 16 For if the dead rise not, then is not Christ raised: 17 and if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins. 18 Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished. 19 If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable. 20 But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the first fruits of them that slept. 21 For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead. 22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. 23 But every man in his own order: Christ the first fruits; afterward they that are Christ’s at his coming.

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl

That was their opinion. I am not saying you should take it. They are also saying that they worship a buddhist man and not a man god. This makes it all sound daft. If there was no resurrection then all the miracles are in question. So what do they worship. It's either a philosophy or a custom. They have nothing more. I think that is apparent to all but them.

8 hours ago, Pete said:

That was their opinion. I am not saying you should take it. They are also saying that they worship a buddhist man and not a man god. This makes it all sound daft. If there was no resurrection then all the miracles are in question. So what do they worship. It's either a philosophy or a custom. They have nothing more. I think that is apparent to all but them.

It's worse.  What happens to Christianity, without the Logos?     :mellow:  This is heavy duty mysticism and it's central.

John 1 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl

I don't understand Jonathan's. I cannot believe your arguing the existence of a god.

Christianity without the man god has little meaning and we both agree on that being a. Fantasy, Therefore it and the babble have little meaning to us. Judaism and Islam relies too much on the enforcement of brutal rules and therefore it diminishes itself. To rely on man to enact brutal punishment is another way of saying their absent god can't be relied upon to enforce his own rules. That and if there is a god then the brutality demonstrates how petty he is given our meagre presence. In this universe.

16 minutes ago, Pete said:

I don't understand Jonathan's. I cannot believe your arguing the existence of a god.

Christianity without the man god has little meaning and we both agree on that being a. Fantasy, Therefore it and the babble have little meaning to us. Judaism and Islam relies too much on the enforcement of brutal rules and therefore it diminishes itself. To rely on man to enact brutal punishment is another way of saying their absent god can't be relied upon to enforce his own rules. That and if there is a god then the brutality demonstrates how petty he is given our meagre presence. In this universe.

:birgits_giggle:

Never.  God is a fantasy.  Christianity is real.  I understand Christianity.  They can hollow Christianity if they want, by removing it's substance.  What remains will be a hollow shell.  A worthless, empty shell, that won't sustain.  

It doesn't have enough substance without the mysticism.  Take out the mysticism and what's left?  Pious platitudes empty of substance.  Humanism has more to offer.  Atheism would be more honest.

I am not a Godly man.  I lack piety.  It's one of my better features.

:D 

• Like 1
On 3/29/2020 at 10:40 AM, Pete said:

Judaism and Islam relies too much on the enforcement of brutal rules and therefore it diminishes itself. To rely on man to enact brutal punishment is another way of saying their absent god can't be relied upon to enforce his own rules. That and if there is a god then the brutality demonstrates how petty he is given our meagre presence. In this universe.

Is the sentence supposed to read "Judaism and Islam rely too much on the enforcement of brutal rules and therefore they diminish themselves?

As always, I ask for a reason.

12 hours ago, RabbiO said:

Is the sentence supposed to read "Judaism and Islam rely too much on the enforcement of brutal rules and therefore they diminish themselves?

As always, I ask for a reason.

Although I am also interested in Pete's answer... but while waiting I must confess I find the conflation justifiable; the traditions are intertwined and the methods are similar. But you have a genuine question going on in there (although it also just may be a genuine linguistic error).

Pete said it's baffling how some people don't see another view as valid, paraphrased.  It's equally baffling to me that the trend these days is to accept every view as valid.  It's a lot like overcompensation I think.  There should be a middle.  Open minded but not too much so that the brain just falls out.

4 hours ago, cuchulain said:

Pete said it's baffling how some people don't see another view as valid, paraphrased.  It's equally baffling to me that the trend these days is to accept every view as valid.  It's a lot like overcompensation I think.  There should be a middle.  Open minded but not too much so that the brain just falls out.

There is.  There is the scientific method, which seeks after objective facts.  There is also the Socratic dialog, which examines ideas, by pushing them to their limits.

18 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

There is.  There is the scientific method, which seeks after objective facts.  There is also the Socratic dialog, which examines ideas, by pushing them to their limits.

Myself, I guess I just don't see enough people in the middle 😀

14 minutes ago, cuchulain said:

Myself, I guess I just don't see enough people in the middle 😀

It's kind of a difficult dance going on there (for millenia). I myself am a fan of the "Aristotelian" middle ground, but even Aristotle - having been Socrat's student - had to acknowledge the progress made by Socrat's dichotomy (black/white, action/reaction)... and then - again - finding the "middle ground" between them both... :huh:

9 minutes ago, Seeker said:

I find it odd that we have two (in my mind) contradictory trends going on.

First is the move towards cultural relativism - everything is equally valid.

Second is the increasing black-and-white polarization going on, especially in politics.

Not all cultural relativism is silly.  It's all right to think that rice tastes better than bread.  Or to think that rye bread is the best tasting bread.  Cultural relativism does become silly, when it violates logic, or runs counter to facts.

Political passions are a danger to society.  When it becomes "good" vs. "evil" -- it is impossible to compromise.  The same applies to the religious -- who think that every other religion is a delusion and a tool of the Devil.  The same applies also, to the anti-religious -- who insist that religion is evil and should be eliminated.  The same applies to the religious -- who insist that the non-religious are lacking in ethics or morals.

2 hours ago, Seeker said:

I find it odd that we have two (in my mind) contradictory trends going on.

First is the move towards cultural relativism - everything is equally valid.

Second is the increasing black-and-white polarization going on, especially in politics.

This isn't even that "new"... Isaac Asimov (1920-1992) already said:

The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

Column in Newsweek (21 January 1980)