Interesting

On 3/18/2020 at 5:34 AM, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

In my more religious days, I would have agreed with the Rabbi.  Now?  Does the Hebrew Bible have anything to do with reality?  Of course not.

Yes.  The Greek Scriptures are a house built on sand.  What are the Hebrew Scriptures built on?  More sand.

:mellow:

I understand Jonathan, but I cannot resist the temptation to poke the hornets nest from time to time. 🤡

Call it in payment for my years of indoctrination. 

3 hours ago, Pete said:

I understand Jonathan, but I cannot resist the temptation to poke the hornets nest from time to time. 🤡

Call it in payment for my years of indoctrination. 

I have been preached at all my life -- and been turned into a cultural outsider.  I understand your resentment.  I share it.  That's the thing.  It is resentment.  For our own mental health, we have to let go of it.  To at least begin letting go of it. Now that we have awakened -- they can't hurt us any more.  Unless we let them, by holding onto old hurts.  Resentment is such a poison.

:whist:

Christians often like to talk about the martyrs who died bringing the gospel to them but understate their persecution of the Jews and the persecution the Jews got from the Roman's. Christian persecution of Jews went on for centuries throughout Europe. Much of it was a power grab as the Jews were more informed over the meaning of the OT and the origins of some of the teachings of Jesus in the NT and the church did like being contradicted. Jews also could see the helonist roots of Paul's teachings.The church claimed Peter for it's instigator and adopted Paul's letters for their scripture.  There is no provable link between Peter and the church at all or that Paul was given a mission to the gentiles other than the bible.

The church created the myth Jesus was God and that would never be acceptable to the Jews and so they were persecuted more so than the Christians over the years.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Christians often like to talk about the martyrs who died bringing the gospel to them but understate their persecution of the Jews and the persecution the Jews got from the Roman's. Christian persecution of Jews went on for centuries throughout Europe. Much of it was a power grab as the Jews were more informed over the meaning of the OT and the origins of some of the teachings of Jesus in the NT and the church did like being contradicted. Jews also could see the helonist roots of Paul's teachings.The church claimed Peter for it's instigator and adopted Paul's letters for their scripture.  There is no provable link between Peter and the church at all or that Paul was given a mission to the gentiles other than the bible.

The church created the myth Jesus was God and that would never be acceptable to the Jews and so they were persecuted more so than the Christians over the years.

I'm still waiting for evidence that there was a Jesus.  It's a pity that God couldn't manage something.

I found more lectures for you from the same series.  If you want the Orthodox Jewish perspective, we might as well go all out.  It is a different reality.

On 3/22/2020 at 3:03 PM, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

I read Barry Wilson's book. It is very informative. It's one of the reasons for me going liberal and then agnostic. The other was the claims made by fundamentalism. It appeared to me if there are illogical claims now then why not 2000 yrs ago.

3 hours ago, Pete said:

I read Barry Wilson's book. It is very informative. It's one of the reasons for me going liberal and then agnostic. The other was the claims made by fundamentalism. It appeared to me if there are illogical claims now then why not 2000 yrs ago.

Modern day Fundamentalists have no difficulty with their non-belief:  Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Christian Science, Spiritualists, Catholics, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Pagans, etc. etc.  -- and of course -- Judaism of all varieties.  It's Fundamentalists vs. everyone and everything that's not part of their world.  I don't concern myself with their thinking.

:mellow:

• Like 1