​​​​​​​How technology impacts religion and Atheism

I use shortwave radio a lot. There is many denominations out there preaching on air without a challenge and the listeners cannot ask questions. It gives the image that they know what they are talking about from Brother Stair to the Pope. Yet, how many would stand up if they  could be challenged on air. Not many I would suspect.

5 hours ago, Pete said:

I use shortwave radio a lot. There is many denominations out there preaching on air without a challenge and the listeners cannot ask questions. It gives the image that they know what they are talking about from Brother Stair to the Pope. Yet, how many would stand up if they  could be challenged on air. Not many I would suspect.

Bottom line.  People are preaching without knowing who is listening.  Without knowing if anybody is listening.  Without the possibility of a response.

So what?  If it makes them happy -- so what?  It's their time and effort to waste.

:mellow:

1 hour ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

Bottom line.  People are preaching without knowing who is listening.  Without knowing if anybody is listening.  Without the possibility of a response.

So what?  If it makes them happy -- so what?  It's their time and effort to waste.

:mellow:

I agree but they often preach that stuff is beyond question and breed another generation of ignorance (imo). I note Trumps policy is to pray to stop coronavirus. It gives the impression that they are doing something when in fact not much is being done. I note one journalist on Facebook is talking about the benefits brought by the virus in clearing out the elderly. 

3 hours ago, Pete said:

I agree but they often preach that stuff is beyond question and breed another generation of ignorance (imo). I note Trumps policy is to pray to stop coronavirus. It gives the impression that they are doing something when in fact not much is being done. I note one journalist on Facebook is talking about the benefits brought by the virus in clearing out the elderly. 

As Trump himself so famously boasted -- he could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue, shoot someone, and not lose his supporters.  

Trump has assured the world that he has everything under control.  Obviously not, but his base believes him.  If the Corona virus starts killing people, in large number, he will find a cover up lie.  Probably blaming Democrats and the Press.

Remember.  Trump's base does not hold him accountable for his lies and discrepencies.  They have already forgotten -- "Mexico will pay for the wall!"

:sigh2:

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl
10 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

As Trump himself so famously boasted -- he could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue, shoot someone, and not lose his supporters.  

Trump has assured the world that he has everything under control.  Obviously not, but his base believes him.  If the Corona virus starts killing people, in large number, he will find a cover up lie.  Probably blaming Democrats and the Press.

Remember.  Trump's base does not hold him accountable for his lies and discrepencies.  They have already forgotten -- "Mexico will pay for the wall!"

Its interesting about the Christian right wing support for Trump. Put aside whether Jesus was real or not, but I don't remember Jesus saying build a wall to keep foreigners out. Make poorer countries poorer. Make them pay for a wall around me and if their children come put them into crowded compounds and take them away from their parents. They are no more than vermin.  Yet, so many believers think Trump can do no wrong. I am not putting down the US because we have Boris and he is just as bad, but he does not pretend to be Christian or be supported by the religious right.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Its interesting about the Christian right wing support for Trump. Put aside whether Jesus was real or not, but I don't remember Jesus saying build a wall to keep foreigners out. Make poorer countries poorer. Make them pay for a wall around me and if their children come put them into crowded compounds and take them away from their parents. They are no more than vermin.  Yet, so many believers think Trump can do no wrong. I am not putting down the US because we have Boris and he is just as bad, but he does not pretend to be Christian or be supported by the religious right.

Trump's Christian base believe in him.  They have faith in his policies and judgement.  They don't care about evidence or proof.  Inconsistencies don't bother them.  Does any of this sound familiar?

It is a natural outcome of all that religious training.  Belief is more important than reality.  Even the idea of evidence, is lost on them.  Of course, they want a strong, authoritarian leader, to do their thinking for them.  A leader who will them what is real and what is fake.  Certainly, not the "fake press."  Or their own lying eyes.

Boris has told so many obvious lies in the UK and yet, people vote for him and some believe him. It seems in the UK some will back a rebellious upstart no matter how dishonest he/she can be. Anyone who bucks the establishment is respected but the odd thing is he is part of the establishment. He is rich, does not care about anyone, has Royal connections and is a known liar. He has been sacked from previous jobs for lying and he is a friend of Trumps. A strange age we live in.

6 hours ago, Pete said:

Boris has told so many obvious lies in the UK and yet, people vote for him and some believe him. It seems in the UK some will back a rebellious upstart no matter how dishonest he/she can be. Anyone who bucks the establishment is respected but the odd thing is he is part of the establishment. He is rich, does not care about anyone, has Royal connections and is a known liar. He has been sacked from previous jobs for lying and he is a friend of Trumps. A strange age we live in.

The times are beyond strange.  Look what's going on in India and Israel, with their turn to the right.

Russia and Saudi Arabia are crashing the oil market, with their trade war.  OPEC has come unraveled.  

China and Italy are in lockdown over Corona.

I never saw anything like this.

34 minutes ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

The times are beyond strange.  Look what's going on in India and Israel, with their turn to the right.

Russia and Saudi Arabia are crashing the oil market, with their trade war.  OPEC has come unraveled.  

China and Italy are in lockdown over Corona.

I never saw anything like this.

I did... on a (much) smaller scale... it didn't end well... at least not for Yugoslavia.

2 hours ago, RevBogovac said:

I did... on a (much) smaller scale... it didn't end well... at least not for Yugoslavia.

2 hours ago, RevBogovac said:

I'm having trouble with the buttons.  I apologize for the mess.

Yugoslavia is a scary example.  This is what happens when old hatreds and divisions go out of control.

8 hours ago, Pete said:

Yugoslavia was a scary situation. People who were friends and neighbours one minute and the next killing one another. It's a warning to us all.

It's the politics of fear mongering and division.  Trump's specialty.

Remember the meaning of politics.  Poly, meaning many -- and tics, which are blood sucking bugs.

• Like 1
On 3/11/2020 at 11:04 AM, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

It's the politics of fear mongering and division.  Trump's specialty.

Remember the meaning of politics.  Poly, meaning many -- and tics, which are blood sucking bugs.

Thank you for putting a smile on my face... that was too lang ago...