Resisting Homeopathic

Load More Results

8 minutes ago, damnthing said:

well I guess that explains 'holy water', just a little dab'll do ya

Homeopathic remedies begin with a substance, which is then diluted down to nothing.

In what way is Holy water different from water?  A priest blesses it.  Even now, the Catholic Church is coming up with new rules for sanitation -- to prevent contamination with the Corona virus.

3 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

Homeopathic remedies begin with a substance, which is then diluted down to nothing.

In what way is Holy water different from water?  A priest blesses it.  Even now, the Catholic Church is coming up with new rules for sanitation -- to prevent contamination with the Corona virus.

I feel that most times here, you don't get the joke. It's okay and yes, I watched the vid, yes I understand the dilution. blessing water is about as diluted as you can get, so I guess it has the most strength

23 minutes ago, damnthing said:

I feel that most times here, you don't get the joke. It's okay and yes, I watched the vid, yes I understand the dilution. blessing water is about as diluted as you can get, so I guess it has the most strength

I actually did catch the joke, even if I did go in the wrong direction.

People do take holy water seriously.  And Homeopathic.

In both cases, a scam.

13 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

I actually did catch the joke, even if I did go in the wrong direction.

People do take holy water seriously.  And Homeopathic.

In both cases, a scam.

While snake oil and sugar pills are, indeed, scams, the mind, itself, is a pretty powerful thing to be able to fool someone into getting better. Just saying.

1 hour ago, Key said:

While snake oil and sugar pills are, indeed, scams, the mind, itself, is a pretty powerful thing to be able to fool someone into getting better. Just saying.

Yes.  The mind does have healing ability.  So faith healing, homeopathic, placebos and other frauds --  will get the credit, when healing takes place. 

In addition, it is often difficult to know what caused a healing.  Frequently, the body simply self heals over time.  Again, any treatment or therapy going on can claim credit.  Even more so, when many therapies are engaged.

:mellow:

Say, I have what I think is a cold.  The doctor gives me something.  I start drinking herbal teas.  I start taking vitamin supplements.  I'm watching my diet.  I'm sleeping more.  Practicing meditation.  Taking a homeopathic remedy.  Taking a laxative.  Thinking warm, positive thoughts.  My pastor prays with me.  My loving cat snuggles up against me and purrs.  Then I get better.  Alright.  What actually helped?  All of it?  None of it?  My favorite bias?

:mellow:

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl

I had been very strongly influenced against homeopathy by Penn and Teller and I liked to poke fun at it. Then my allergies were acting up and I went to a drug store for an antihistamine. Next to them on the shelf were homeopathic allergy pills. They were less expensive than the allopathic so I thought "What the hey. I'll give it a try" expecting them to not work and I would have to return for a bottle of allopathic medicine. Instead, the pills worked. Not as well or for as long as an allopathic antihistamine, but it worked. I was quite shocked. Though I have never used a homeopathic med again, I am nonetheless no longer inclined to dismiss homeopathy completely.

Edited by Nathaniel