2 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

That applies to a lot of Bible believers.  Does it apply to Pagans?

It applies to many pagans in my experience. Because they too were once Bible believers and it’s hard to divorce oneself from that worldview.

I’ve had to explain to other pagans that the myths weren’t taken literally even by ancient polytheists. That I can worship Zeus and Hera without drawing on the many problematic behaviors assigned to them in myth.  That Ares even in the ancient world was more than just a bloodthirsty savage.  Because myth is not religion.  Religious practice is religion.

46 minutes ago, LeopardBoy said:

It applies to many pagans in my experience. Because they too were once Bible believers and it’s hard to divorce oneself from that worldview.

I’ve had to explain to other pagans that the myths weren’t taken literally even by ancient polytheists. That I can worship Zeus and Hera without drawing on the many problematic behaviors assigned to them in myth.  That Ares even in the ancient world was more than just a bloodthirsty savage.  Because myth is not religion.  Religious practice is religion.

Modern Pagans with a Bible world view?  That seems like a bad blend.     

23 hours ago, LeopardBoy said:

Do you believe there’s no knowledge to be gained from myth?  

I ask this as someone who doesn’t take myth literally, but still values its importance in my religion for what it is.

You misinterpreted my comment, I was referring to the comment Dan56 made about there being no knowledge here (ULC Forum). Pretty sure he was trying to make a point about how none (or most) of us have any brains because we don't in what he does, or how blindly he does, or how arrogant and superior he feels he is when dealing with freethinkers like us.