Do They Really Believe That?

When I was a Liberal Christian I always respected what Bishop Spong had to say:-

My problem with it now is if you cannot understand god or have evidence that god existed then what the heck are we saying we believe in. I get the understanding of human compassion for each other but no one has to be Christian to believe in that. Our whole survival as human beings has been on that compassion for each other and giving a care for each other. Yet, why Christian? Atheists, Agnostics, and Humanists have that same respect for each other so why Christian at all. That is why I am no longer liberal even though Spong is more honest than others in what he teaches.

4 hours ago, Pete said:

16 Then God made two great [d]lights: the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night. He made the stars also. 17 God set them in the firmament of the heavens to give light on the earth.

All that just to give us some light. This measly speck of dust in the vastness of space. Several days work on the earth and one days work for the rest of the universe. Its laughable really. Talk about overstating ones importance to everything. 😂

It's worse.  The Earth was a six day construction project.  The rest of the Universe -- all of it -- was a distraction on the fourth day.  "He made the stars also."  I would go off on a rant about how silly it is.  Then again -- it's Genesis.  Of course it's silly.

😜   

9 hours ago, Pete said:

16 Then God made two great [d]lights: the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night. He made the stars also. 17 God set them in the firmament of the heavens to give light on the earth.

All that just to give us some light. This measly speck of dust in the vastness of space. Several days work on the earth and one days work for the rest of the universe. Its laughable really. Talk about overstating ones importance to everything. 😂

Contemplations on humility and our place in the Universe.

• Like 1

I wholeheartedly recommend the entirely guilt-free, sin-free, hell-free, (equally) fact-free, fun-filled, strippers and beer heaven, pirate enforced,

Church of The Flying Spaghetti Monster  RaMen

There is no dealing with established religious zealots, their belief is their belief. Now ideally each of those beliefs would be freely held but privately celebrated. But no zealotry requires a certain amount of exhibitionism, of look-at-how-holy-I-am-ism and their religions require an amazingly large amount of magical thinking and woo,.

There is only one way to deal with religious zealotry and that is with equally absurdist, non-nonsensical, fantastical zealotry.

The CotFSM has won soundly in Kansas is is winning globally. Enough of this foolish seriousness along the lines of the above video (in which he makes great points but is soooooo serious, as is Richard Dawkins and Spong (I feel like there should more to his name, but oh well)). The FSM is so antithetical to the mainline religions that it's enough to make Martin Luther roll over in his grave.

Religidiots only want to espouse their beliefs, they have no interest in anyone else's and take copious amounts of umbrage, along with nasal cartilage disjointment, in other words there is no talking to them. Sooooooo, the Flying Spaghetti Monster RaMen comes to the rescue, bringing enlightenment, frivolity, jocularity and eternal inebriation. I'll see your cross, and raise you pirates.

So which will it be, a heaven where it's all hushed tones, people you hoped you'd never see again, nothing but white everywhere (I suppose to make POC stand out more), harps and boring eternity. Or rather, volcanoes spewing beer and strippers (or rum and nuns, or vodkas and latkes or wine and twine, or bois and toys,  it's really whatever you want it to be).

Nope, I think we all agree that religion is nonsense but why give it the gravitas that the religious demand it deserves. Trying to convince any zealot that their entire belief system is a fantasy is nearly impossible. Instead, beat them over the head with a rubber chicken named the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Sic pirates on them, march wearing colanders on the head, force the world to accept the nonsense that is The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, or to deny ALL of them equally.

RaMen, May You Be Touched By His Noodley Appendage

Touched_by_His_Noodly_Appendage_HD1.jpg

8 minutes ago, damnthing said:

They're all worse. Or I suppose, more correctly, they are all bad. Well, except for the CotFSM, which is pretty much exactly on point with the ULC (and really, with the Hippocratic Oath, First, do no harm). Surprised more members aren't active here. Unless they too have a fb page, in which there is no hope

I used to belong to an Agnostic Church.  Alas, they went out of business.  I really miss them.

36 minutes ago, damnthing said:

An agnostic church...I'm having a hard time believing in that

The Universal Church Triumphant of the Apathetic Agnostic.  The church's motto was -- We don't know and we don't care.

Don't worry about it.  The church died.  It was fun while it lasted.

:whist:

I did enjoy being an Agnostic minister.

:sigh2:

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl
16 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

What happens when the goddess of apathy; mates with the god of procrastination?

We may never find out.

:birgits_giggle:

Might not have even occurred to either of them, as one wouldn't really care to do it, and the other may have never gotten around to it.

24 minutes ago, Key said:

Might not have even occurred to either of them, as one wouldn't really care to do it, and the other may have never gotten around to it.

That was the point of the joke.     :birgits_giggle:

My favorite deity is the goddess Apathea.  She is the personification of apathy.  Of course, she neither helps nor hinders her followers.  She can't be bothered.

:lol:     :birgits_giggle:     :lol:

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl
  • Like 1