According to this Humanist author; Humanists are not Atheists.  Instead, Humanists are indifferent to the God idea.  I find the distinction interesting.

:D   

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/humanistplus/2020/01/could-a-humanist-care-less-about-god/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Imagine+No+Religion&utm_content=44

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl
22 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

According to this Humanist author; Humanists are not Atheists.  Instead, Humanists are indifferent to the God idea.  I find the distinction interesting.

:D   

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/humanistplus/2020/01/could-a-humanist-care-less-about-god/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Imagine+No+Religion&utm_content=44

I can understand that. Feeling apathetic to the idea of a God or indifference is very close.

9 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

I think I'm there.  I can't take even the idea of God, seriously, long enough to argue about it.  It's not even about disbelief.  It's all so silly.

:mellow:

I agree, up to e certain point... it becomes less "theoretical" once the society you live in (and their policymakers) is using that idea to "shape reality"... :coffee:

1 hour ago, RevBogovac said:

I agree, up to e certain point... it becomes less "theoretical" once the society you live in (and their policymakers) is using that idea to "shape reality"... :coffee:

The Evangelical right keeps telling me, that Trump is God's anointed.  Trump agrees with them.  It makes even the idea of God seem silly.  Trump?  An agent of God?

And, here we go again.

Must every topic devolve into a political diatribe?

Here, I thought this thread was about the differences between Humanist vs. Atheist, not about how much one hates the President.  There is enough of that elsewhere without having it everywhere.

24 minutes ago, YODA said:

And, here we go again.

Here, I thought this thread was about the differences between Humanist vs. Atheist, not about how much one hates the President.  There is enough of that elsewhere without having it everywhere.

Threads wander.  They wander off topic.  They wander back on topic.  Is there anything you care to add?  Thoughts?  Observations?  Feel free.

2 hours ago, cuchulain said:

I find more and more that titles mean less and less to me.  

Words change their meaning over time.  Individual usage varies.  It's easy to get stuck, in a war of words, over definitions.  For all that, even the attempt at communication, falls apart without words.  What else do we have?

22 hours ago, YODA said:

And, here we go again.

22 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

Threads wander.  They wander off topic.  They wander back on topic.  Is there anything you care to add?  Thoughts?  Observations?  Feel free.

You must have missed the point.

It wasn't about topic meandering.

I said what I meant to add, but since it was missed,

To wit:

There is enough of that elsewhere without having it everywhere.

3 hours ago, YODA said:

To wit:

I beg to differ. As I've read or been involved in many, if not "most", threads here, I do not see what you claim to be seeing. A few threads have, but not "every" one.

5 hours ago, YODA said:

To wit:

No.  Not every topic needs to devolve into a political diatribe.  I kept my remarks brief.  I kept my remarks relevant.  I don't think that constitutes a diatribe.  Neither do I feel the need to self censor.  When politics are relevant, I don't feel the need to tip toe around them.

What did I say, that bothered you that much?

On 1/20/2020 at 11:51 AM, YODA said:

And, here we go again.

Now, a word from Trump's Godly supporters.     :mellow:    I can be even handed     :mellow:

https://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/carl-gallups-those-who-hate-trump-have-a-demonic-spirit-in-them/

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl