Speculations on Alien Life and Religion

Jonathan H. B. Lobl

There’s not much about my theology that would change if extra-terrestrial beings suddenly made themselves known. Some form of syncretism might occur, and new myths written to explain the appearance of new gods or added epithets for old gods, but it doesn’t really  make much difference to me from a religious standpoint.

11 minutes ago, LeopardBoy said:

There’s not much about my theology that would change if extra-terrestrial beings suddenly made themselves known. Some form of syncretism might occur, and new myths written to explain the appearance of new gods or added epithets for old gods, but it doesn’t really  make much difference to me from a religious standpoint.

That is the strength of Polytheism.  When the Greek and Roman cultures met, their gods also met.  From what I can see, both cultures, and their gods, did just fine.  I think that when people are prepared to coexist, their gods also get along.

:cheers:

8 hours ago, mark 45 said:

are we the only life form in the universe?maybe.the rest is speculation.

It is all speculation.  It's also interesting.

Back in the 1960s and 70s, there was a major fad in America and England.  Young people were going to India to find themselves.  That was when the Beetles and Mia Farrow, found Maharishi Mahesh Yogi.  That's when Transcendental Meditation became big.  How's that for a template?  They could be looking to us to save them.

Or they could be like Jehova's Witnesses.  Not dangerous.  Only very annoying.  Knocking on every planet in the neighborhood.

Or they could be like the Mormon's.  Very friendly.

Another template:  Think of the Jesuit invasion of Japan.

Buddhist monks travel to distant places, spreading Dharma.  That sort of thing could be fun.

Not so much, if they are spreading the True Faith, by the sword, like Islamists.

Or they could be Atheists.

It's all speculation.     :coffee:

TO  SERVE

MAN

:lol:

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl

I think that aliens were the gods as far as humans are concerned in those times. 

If they returned, I seriously doubt they would have a need to re-assume those roles.   I think they have never left,  and just let us progress in a make or break situation.    I do not think there would be a grand  government announcement; but, in their own way and time, to welcome us as a young newbie world to the brotherhood of space faring people.

5 hours ago, LarryVF said:

I think that aliens were the gods as far as humans are concerned in those times. 

If they returned, I seriously doubt they would have a need to re-assume those roles.   I think they have never left,  and just let us progress in a make or break situation.    I do not think there would be a grand  government announcement; but, in their own way and time, to welcome us as a young newbie world to the brotherhood of space faring people.

I'm not in a position to argue.  For now, I'm going to say maybe.  If the aliens show up, we can ask.

:coffee:

We have all seen drawings of the "Greys".  They do look a lot like the classic goblin.

I would like to open this thread up, to an additional line of thought.

What does Earth have -- in the way of religion -- that might be of interest to an outsider?

Buddhism might be of interest to an ET.  There is nothing species specific about the Buddhist teachings.  A Buddhist monk could have a discussion with anyone, about the nature of suffering and releasing desire.

What about the various religions of Earth, would an ET find interesting?

1 hour ago, mark 45 said:

religion?doubt there is one worth their time.philosophy?taoism,buddhism,something along that lines.

A Pagan, who venerates Nature, might be compatible with alien visitors.     :coffee:

If both sides have many gods, that could also work.     :coffee:

If both sides are Atheist, that could also work.     :coffee:

3 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

A Pagan, who venerates Nature, might be compatible with alien visitors.     :coffee:

If both sides have many gods, that could also work.     :coffee:

If both sides are Atheist, that could also work.     :coffee:

Of course this would only work, with exception of atheist, if the aliens aren't a predatory species with no belief in religion. But if they are predatory, would it still be considered to be ideal as atheist?

2 hours ago, Key said:

Of course this would only work, with exception of atheist, if the aliens aren't a predatory species with no belief in religion. But if they are predatory, would it still be considered to be ideal as atheist?

First, I said it could work.  Not that it would work.

Second, If the aliens are a predator species, neither our beliefs nor our non-beliefs will matter.

For that matter, if the aliens are inclined to being peaceful -- neither our beliefs, nor non-beliefs, will count against us.

Finally, if the aliens are Atheists, there is at least a chance that they are rational or reasonable.  This is unpredictable.  Atheists only agree on one thing.  Only the aliens would know, what they do believe -- or think -- about anything.

On the other hand, if the aliens are Monotheists -- there is a chance, that they will consider us to be the wrong kind of Monotheist.  In which case, things could get ugly.  Look at Earth history.  First, the missionaries show up -- to teach the one true God.  Then, things get nasty for the :lol:locals, who don't join up.  Sometimes, even then.  Look what the Catholic Church did in Mexico.  Or Japan.

If they resemble Buddhist monks -- teaching ideas of Dharma -- it could be a lot of fun. Maybe not good ideas, or useful -- but interesting.  Or they could be great ideas.  Until or unless it happens -- it's all pure speculation.

First contact might not even be with organic life.  It could be with their A.I.     

17 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

First, I said it could work.  Not that it would work.

Second, If the aliens are a predator species, neither our beliefs nor our non-beliefs will matter.

For that matter, if the aliens are inclined to being peaceful -- neither our beliefs, nor non-beliefs, will count against us.

Finally, if the aliens are Atheists, there is at least a chance that they are rational or reasonable.  This is unpredictable.  Atheists only agree on one thing.  Only the aliens would know, what they do believe -- or think -- about anything.

On the other hand, if the aliens are Monotheists -- there is a chance, that they will consider us to be the wrong kind of Monotheist.  In which case, things could get ugly.  Look at Earth history.  First, the missionaries show up -- to teach the one true God.  Then, things get nasty for the :lol:locals, who don't join up.  Sometimes, even then.  Look what the Catholic Church did in Mexico.  Or Japan.

If they resemble Buddhist monks -- teaching ideas of Dharma -- it could be a lot of fun. Maybe not good ideas, or useful -- but interesting.  Or they could be great ideas.  Until or unless it happens -- it's all pure speculation.

First contact might not even be with organic life.  It could be with their A.I.     

Oh, no. Could be V-ger looking for the creator! (Star Trek reference, in case you didn't know.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Key said:

Oh, no. Could be V-ger looking for the creator! (Star Trek reference, in case you didn't know.)

I'm considering the possibilities.  Without faster than light travel (FTL) -- a simple visit could take hundreds of years.  Tough on organic life.  Not so much for A.I.  Even if FTL is possible, it might be so costly or difficult, that it would only be used for high need.  Nothing routine.

Even for an alien culture with super high tech; not everything that is possible will be practical.  

2 minutes ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

I'm considering the possibilities.  Without faster than light travel (FTL) -- a simple visit could take hundreds of years.  Tough on organic life.  Not so much for A.I.  Even if FTL is possible, it might be so costly or difficult, that it would only be used for high need.  Nothing routine.

Even for an alien culture with super high tech; not everything that is possible will be practical.  

Oh, I don't know the science of that. I'd have thought that it might be easier to accomplish through outer space, away from the pull of gravitational bodies.

18 minutes ago, Seeker said:

Not really.

Instead of thinking of it as the speed of light, think of it as the speed of causality. That may help to clarify why you can't go any faster.

I'm aware of that.

In the past, scientists have found ways to do the impossible.  They may yet find a way to do FTL.  Possibly  by warping space.  That does not mean FTL will be practical.  

On 12/30/2019 at 12:44 PM, Key said:

Oh, I don't know the science of that. I'd have thought that it might be easier to accomplish through outer space, away from the pull of gravitational bodies.

In the current state of physics, the speed of Light is an absolute speed limit.  That means that nothing can travel through space, faster than light.

I am being careful with my phrasing.  It seems that space itself, can expand faster than the speed of light.  This is why distant galaxies seem to be moving away from us at such speeds.  These galaxies are not moving away from us -- through space -- at faster than light speeds.  The intervening space itself, is expanding, at such speeds.

In a black hole, a field of space where gravity is so strong, that even light can not escape -- space collapses into a singularity.

In the space between galactic clusters -- gravity is weak and space expands.

I had to specify.  Within Galactic clusters, gravity is strong enough to prevent space from expanding.  Also, within galaxies.  That is why galaxies can still collide.  In about four billion years, our Milky Way galaxy will merge with Andromeda.

Science is just beginning, to find out, how weird the Universe is.