Christian Threats of Damnation

3 hours ago, RevBogovac said:

I agree... I also find it very improbable that "it" (the energy) will be "me"... just "part" of "me"... the eternal part.

So does it matter (to you) it will not be "you"...? Only if you let it matter it becomes "damnation"... doesn't it...?

I'm going to die.  It is the way of all flesh.  Life is short and we will all die.  In time, even the stars grow cold.  What I want is irrelevant.  I have made peace with my coming death.  Denial is pointless.  I think fear is also pointless.  So is pretending.  I'm alive now -- so I'm living.  This is a good day, to be alive.

:coffee:

12 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

I'm going to die.  It is the way of all flesh.  Life is short and we will all die.  In time, even the stars grow cold.  What I want is irrelevant.  I have made peace with my coming death.  Denial is pointless.  I think fear is also pointless.  So is pretending.  I'm alive now -- so I'm living.  This is a good day, to be alive.

True. And it's nice you have made peace with it. The threats (indoctrination) of damnation by christians continue though... 

True. And it's nice you have made peace with it. The threats (indoctrination) of damnation by christians continue though... 

Yes.  The threats continue.  Misery loves company and they can't stand a free mind.  We should be as wretched and full of fear as they are.

On 10/31/2019 at 3:04 AM, RevBogovac said:

The threats (indoctrination) of damnation by christians continue though...

On 10/31/2019 at 6:45 AM, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

Yes.  The threats continue. 

Its no threat if you don't believe it... Damnation & eternal life are only relative to those who believe that their soul & spirit don't perish with their flesh body.

2 hours ago, Dan56 said:

Its no threat if you don't believe it... Damnation & eternal life are only relative to those who believe that their soul & spirit don't perish with their flesh body.

:boredom:   Uh-huh.

There is a distinction to be made, between an intended threat -- or an attempted threat -- and a perceived threat.

Since such distinctions are beyond your ability to understand, I will leave it at that.

:sigh2:

On 11/2/2019 at 11:29 PM, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

There is a distinction to be made, between an intended threat -- or an attempted threat -- and a perceived threat.

Since such distinctions are beyond your ability to understand, I will leave it at that.

There's also a distinction to be made between an imaginary threat and paranoia too. If you feel threatened by something you don't even believe is real, then your right, I don't understand it.. Its kind of like someone telling me that I better watch out because Santa Claus is coming to town. I hardly perceive that warning as any kind of threat!

1 hour ago, Dan56 said:

There's also a distinction to be made between an imaginary threat and paranoia too. If you feel threatened by something you don't even believe is real, then your right, I don't understand it.. Its kind of like someone telling me that I better watch out because Santa Claus is coming to town. I hardly perceive that warning as any kind of threat!

Exactly, you don't... but let's take a look at children (for instance). So let's also prohibit any "religious" indoctrination of children too, hmmmm...?

4 hours ago, Dan56 said:

In my case, the threat fails.  That removes the paranoia element.  What matters, to me, is the attempt to threaten -- even though it fails.  The threat is childish.  Still, the threat is made in earnest.  

You probably forgot.  A few years ago, in response to one of my questions -- you posted a symbol for Atheism.  An "admit one person to Hell" ticket.  Funny man.  I remember.  You made the threat yourself, then laughed it off as a joke.

A futile threat, no matter how ludicrous it is to me -- made in sincerity -- is still a threat.

You would understand that -- if your mind were capable of making distinctions.

:boredom:

Exactly, you don't... but let's take a look at children (for instance). So let's also prohibit any "religious" indoctrination of children too, hmmmm...?

Years ago, when Billy Graham was Crusading in the Netherlands -- the government had a message for him.  He could say anything he wanted, to the adults.  He was frightening the children and he had better stop it.  They would not tolerate his scaring the children.

The message was clear enough.  An adult mind was capable of dealing with such threats.  Children need protection.

As to what Dan is capable of understanding.......     :rolleyes:     :birgits_giggle:    No distinctions at all.

One trouble fundies make is these threats are from what they believe.  The issue with that is they have no proof of what they are saying or actually know all this for definite. It's a belief from a bronze age book of fiction and superstition (imo).

And no I do not feel threatened by them, just irritation. 

Edited by Pete
2 minutes ago, Pete said:

One trouble fundies make these threats from what they believe.  The issue with that is they have no proof of what they are saying or actually know all this for definite. It's a belief from a bronze age book of fiction and superstition (imo).

Yes.  Just so.  It is the attempt to frighten and intimidate -- that I find irritating.  They do try.  They don't succeed, but they try.  

:clap:

This is also the reason they want access to children.  They know they are more impressionable and just learning about things. Filling their minds full of fears of damnation and fear and nonsense is basically psychologically child abuse (imo).

Edited by Pete
46 minutes ago, Pete said:

This is also the reason they want access to children.  They know they are more impressionable and just learning about things. Filling their minds full of fears of damnation and fear and nonsense is basically psychologically child abuse (imo).

Of course it's child abuse.  Of course it's wrong.  Alas, there is no practical intervention.  In this regard, children are at the mercy of their parents.  The same thing happened to them, when they were children.  The affliction is passed on.

The good news is that demographics are shifting.  As the world becomes more secular, recovery becomes easier.  As always, we must take the hand that life deals us -- and cope as well as we can.

:sigh2:

7 hours ago, RevBogovac said:

Most Christians don't embrace Christianity out of fear, but out of hope for eternal life.. Consider the alternative nonreligious indoctrination; When you die, its over and you cease to exist forever, you become food for worms and simply return to dust, never to be remembered again.. Is that the ultimate reality that you prefer children be allowed to embrace? What really promotes a more threatening and fearful scenario?  

4 hours ago, Pete said:

One trouble fundies make is these threats are from what they believe.  The issue with that is they have no proof of what they are saying or actually know all this for definite. It's a belief from a bronze age book of fiction and superstition (imo).

That was all I was pointing out... I personally would never feel threatened by what I considered "a bronze age book of fiction".  Nor would I fear the people who choose to believe it, unless they were chasing me with a gun and trying to force it down my throat :)

1 hour ago, Dan56 said:

Most Christians don't embrace Christianity out of fear, but out of hope for eternal life.. Consider the alternative nonreligious indoctrination; When you die, its over and you cease to exist forever, you become food for worms and simply return to dust, never to be remembered again.. Is that the ultimate reality that you prefer children be allowed to embrace? What really promotes a more threatening and fearful scenario?  

#However,Dan your hope is unfounded. We know people die. We do not know they resurrect. That is a belief with no evidence beyond it being a belief. So you might as well tell them the tooth fairy comes and turns them into an elf.

#

That was all I was pointing out... I personally would never feel threatened by what I considered "a bronze age book of fiction".  Nor would I fear the people who choose to believe it, unless they were chasing me with a gun and trying to force it down my throat :)

#Yet you don't mind telling people they are going to meet a terrible end if they don't believe as you do. That is an attempt to force it down people 's throats and here you are defending such behaviour #

😴😴😴😴😴

Edited by Pete
5 hours ago, Dan56 said:

I'm thinking back to all the times you said things about Atheism and Agnosticism, that were just plain wrong.  Did you take my corrections to heart?  Or even consider what I was saying?  No.  You did not.  You were smug in your supposed understanding of Atheism and Agnosticism.  Also condescending, rude and trifling.

Now, you expect a polite, respectful audience -- while you explain Christianity?  At least, your version of it.

I don't think so.

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl
6 hours ago, Pete said:

#However,Dan your hope is unfounded. We know people die. We do not know they resurrect. That is a belief with no evidence beyond it being a belief. So you might as well tell them the tooth fairy comes and turns them into an elf.

#Yet you don't mind telling people they are going to meet a terrible end if they don't believe as you do. That is an attempt to force it down people 's throats and here you are defending such behaviour

Yes, we know people physically die, but we don't know that they spiritually die because there's no evidence of that. And hope is the belief that one did resurrect., at least it was witnessed and his grave is empty.

In either scenario, people die. With your ending, death is a terrible and permanent thing. Likewise with Christianity, except that it offers a very rewarding alternative.

2 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

I'm thinking back to all the times you said things about Atheism and Agnosticism, that were just plain wrong.  Did you take my corrections to heart?  Or even consider what I was saying?  No.  You did not.  You were smug in your supposed understanding of Atheism and Agnosticism.  Also condescending, rude and trifling.

Now, you expect a polite, respectful audience -- while you explain Christianity?  At least, your version of it.

I don't think so.

I said nothing incorrect about Atheism or Agnosticism, so of course your 'corrections' were immaterial.. And you probably don't remember that I quoted the dictionary's definition of Atheism & Agnosticism,  so your trifling is with the Webster-dictionary. You seem to label anything that contradicts what you think as 'condescending'.  So no, I didn't expect a polite or respectful response from you. I always expect a rude and spiteful response from those who have no argument.

4 hours ago, Dan56 said:

Yes, we know people physically die, but we don't know that they spiritually die because there's no evidence of that. And hope is the belief that one did resurrect., at least it was witnessed and his grave is empty.

In either scenario, people die. With your ending, death is a terrible and permanent thing. Likewise with Christianity, except that it offers a very rewarding alternative.

I said nothing incorrect about Atheism or Agnosticism, so of course your 'corrections' were immaterial.. And you probably don't remember that I quoted the dictionary's definition of Atheism & Agnosticism,  so your trifling is with the Webster-dictionary. You seem to label anything that contradicts what you think as 'condescending'.  So no, I didn't expect a polite or respectful response from you. I always expect a rude and spiteful response from those who have no argument.