If God were proven to exist

3 hours ago, Key said:

Further query, what if any deity that could be proven to exist, doesn't care to be proven to exist? Or even, would rather not be proven to exist?

You are making this very easy for me.  When the existence of a god -- or God -- is not detectable -- then it makes no difference at all.  When a god seems to not exist -- whether it exists or not -- it changes nothing.

There is no practical difference between a god -- which has no existence -- and a god that conceals it's existence.

On a side note -- Christians claim that their God wants a personal relationship with us.  To then suggest that this God is hiding from us -- Well.  This is a disturbed God with issues.

Here is a thought experiment for you:

Pretend that God exists.  What changes?  Nothing.

Pretend that God does not exist.  What changes?  Nothing.

When nothing changes either way -- So what?

A brief rundown on how this fits the basic labels:

The Atheist does not believe -- because there is no reason to believe.  At least, no good reason.

The Agnostic does not know if a certain god exists.  Or wee folk.  Or fairies.  Or brownies.  Or elves.......

The Apatheist does not care because -- so what?

Try not to let other people make you crazy.  Life is too short to take on their crap.

:coffee:

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl
On 9/12/2019 at 8:24 PM, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

Your comment brings us to a discussion of the gods -- small g -- instead of God with the big G.

Is that what you intended?  I don't mind.  The gods are interesting.  I need to be clear.  Is that what you intended?

:mellow:

I intended a moment of levity.

On 9/13/2019 at 1:15 AM, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

[...] Are we talking about a personification?  [...] Jack Frost is a personification.  So is Santa. [...]

Why do you consider Santa to be a personification. AFAIK "Santa" is derived from Saint Nickolas (Saint Nick, isn't it?) who - mostly - the Dutch immigrants in the US (and the Dutch in the Netherlands to date) celebrate on the 6th of December. This, somehow got all mixed in US culture into one person that is connected to Christmas (why have two celebrations in a month, right?)... but that's a "real life" saint (sic!), not a personification... IMHO.

8 hours ago, RevBogovac said:

Why do you consider Santa to be a personification. AFAIK "Santa" is derived from Saint Nickolas (Saint Nick, isn't it?) who - mostly - the Dutch immigrants in the US (and the Dutch in the Netherlands to date) celebrate on the 6th of December. This, somehow got all mixed in US culture into one person that is connected to Christmas (why have two celebrations in a month, right?)... but that's a "real life" saint (sic!), not a personification... IMHO.

Yes.  There was a historic St. Nick.  (Don't confuse him with Old Nick.  That's the Devil.)

In America, the mythology has expanded without restraint.  Santa has his workshop at the North Pole.  He's married to Marry Christmas.  (A corruption of Merry Christmas).  He works with magical flying reindeer.  In particular, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.  Beyond that, the circle of mythological associates includes:

Frosty the Snowman; various Dickens' characters;  The Polar Express (a train); Wooden Soldiers (from the movie); The nutcracker characters; The Grinch (from Dr. Seuss); etc.

Santa himself has evolved.  Listen to what the children are singing.

"He's making a list, checking it twice,

He always knows who's naughty or nice.

Santa Claus is coming to town.

He knows when you are sleeping.

He knows when you're awake.

He knows when you've been bad or good,

So be good for goodness sake."

Compare this with standard God mythology.  An old man with a beard.  Flying around the sky.  In the company of magic creatures.  Watching everything that we do.  Our good deeds and our bad.  He keeps lists.  He rewards the good and punishes the bad.

This is not St. Nick.  Santa is a god.  At least a godling.   IMO

🎅   :whist:

An addendum:

Also a display of humor

Santa and Satan

• Santa and Satan are anagrams of each other.
  • Santa is St. Nick.  Satan is Old Nick.
  • They are both commonly depicted as wearing red, with black trim.
  • They both corrupt the innocent, with promises of material goods.

Clearly, they are the same person.

🎅😈

10 hours ago, Seeker said:

I intended a moment of levity.

Oops.  I stand corrected.  I thought you were taking Eris Discordia, as a personification of Chaos Theory.

My favorite personification is Apathea.  She is the goddess who embodies Apathy.

What happens when the goddess of Apathy, mates with the god of Procrastination?  We may never find out.

:birgits_giggle:

:lol:

:rofl:

• Like 1
4 hours ago, RevBogovac said:

True.

At Christmas time and at Easter; there are always clergy who go off on a rant.  They can't stand how these sacred events, are tainted by Pagan elements.  We are reminded, yet again, that these are holy-days.

These purists amuse me.  For instance, they overlook that the Cross itself -- was an ancient symbol of light -- long before Christianity.  Of course, their Light of the World, was made to fuse with the old symbol.  First, the new religion appropriates all the ancient symbols and practices -- then whines and moans about the presence of impurities.

The new religion is not going to go away.  We might as well be amused by it.  After all.  All the old gods were nothing but made up stories.  Their God is real. Their big book of stories says so.     :sigh2:

:mellow:

• Like 1