If God were proven to exist

If objective, verifiable evidence was produced, proving that God's existence was true -- what then?

In the previous topic, on page one, RabbiO raised a valid point.  Which Christianity?  My intent here is to confine the question to God's existence.

Not about God's morals or ethics.  Not about God being good or evil.  The God of Monotheism existing -- or not.

Here's an opening question.

Does God's existence actually matter?  Why does it matter?

4 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

Your point is valid.  I did not specify which God.

:clap:

An addendum:

The One God of Monotheism.  In Monotheism, by definition, there can be only One.

Please -- feel free to distinguish between Monotheism, Deism and Pantheism -- or other version of One God.

Polytheism is a different thread.  No slight intended.  There is a distinction to be made, and I don't want to generate more confusion.

:mellow:

12 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

If objective, verifiable evidence was produced, proving that God's existence was true -- what then?

In the previous topic, on page one, RabbiO raised a valid point.  Which Christianity?  My intent here is to confine the question to God's existence.

Not about God's morals or ethics.  Not about God being good or evil.  The God of Monotheism existing -- or not.

Here's an opening question.

Does God's existence actually matter?  Why does it matter?

Seems like a similar topic to "If Christianity were proven true"...

My response to the proof of God's existence would be ... I told ya so  :bye:

Of course it would matter, eternity depends on it.

2 hours ago, Dan56 said:

Seems like a similar topic to "If Christianity were proven true"...

My response to the proof of God's existence would be ... I told ya so  :bye:

Of course it would matter, eternity depends on it.

The topics are similar.  I wanted to make it less sectarian.

Proving God's existence, with objective, verifiable, evidence -- would be a good foundation move.  It would remain to be proven that it was your God.  Distinct from the Gods of Hinduism, Deism, Pantheism, etc.

An unproven assertion.  If the God proven to exist, turns out to be the God of Deism -- then no.  It would not.

Since you are limited to your own perspective -- dictated by your faith -- this conversation will be difficult for you.

1 hour ago, cuchulain said:

Wouldn't a lot of people be surprised to find zoroaster at the end of it all

I suppose that makes as much sense as anything else.  Since that particular religion, involves a war between the forces of Good and Evil, I'm not sure it's Monotheistic.  Still, why not?

Jediism is a modern version of that conflict.  Yes.  It exists as a real world religion -- now.  Look up The Temple of the Jedi Order.  It has members.

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl
4 hours ago, Seeker said:

Quantum theory depends on probability and chaos theory.

Hail Eris, all hail Discordia!

Your comment brings us to a discussion of the gods -- small g -- instead of God with the big G.

Is that what you intended?  I don't mind.  The gods are interesting.  I need to be clear.  Is that what you intended?

32 minutes ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

Your comment brings us to a discussion of the gods -- small g -- instead of God with the big G.

Is that what you intended?  I don't mind.  The gods are interesting.  I need to be clear.  Is that what you intended?

Since I was slow -- an addendum:

Just in case, I started a new thread in this section.  If the gods were proven to be true.

I do try to be reasonable.     :coffee:

41 minutes ago, mark 45 said:

which raises the question,how do you prove the existence of any deity?and really,what would change?

Strictly my own opinion:

Are we talking about a personification?  Now, we are dealing with culture.  Culture matters.  How much it matters, depends on the details.  Jack Frost is a personification.  So is Santa.  Santa has a larger cultural impact.  So does the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny.

Lady Luck is a personification.  Does she matter?  Ask a gambler.  Death rides a pale horse.  We all know what he looks like.  We know what instrument he carries.  It's part of Western culture.  At New Year's Eve parties, the Old Year and Baby New Year are liable to show up.  Does it matter?  It's culture.  Old Man Winter?  Father Time?  All culture.

Sometimes, the personification is a deep expression of culture.  Consider Thor.  He is a storm god.  He personifies the chaos of the storm.  He is also a battle god.  He personifies the chaos of battle.

Loki is also a personification of chaos -- of a different kind.  Loki personifies strife and conflict and mischief.

Sometimes, Thor and Loki go adventuring together.  The two types of chaos are compatible.  Sometimes, Thor and Loki are at each other's throats.  Sometimes, the different kinds of chaos are not compatible.

Besides which, they are great stories to tell around a camp fire.  Entertainment combined with philosophy.  All an expression of culture.

Are the gods literal, with actual existence?  We are no longer talking about culture.  At least, not in the same way.  That takes us into metaphysics.  This is a separate conversation.  I think we need to take that one in small bites.

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl
On 9/10/2019 at 10:47 PM, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

The topics are similar.  I wanted to make it less sectarian.

Proving God's existence, with objective, verifiable, evidence -- would be a good foundation move.  It would remain to be proven that it was your God.  Distinct from the Gods of Hinduism, Deism, Pantheism, etc.

An unproven assertion.  If the God proven to exist, turns out to be the God of Deism -- then no.  It would not.

Since you are limited to your own perspective -- dictated by your faith -- this conversation will be difficult for you.

True, if its a god/gods outside of my own realm of belief, then I'll be flat out of luck just like the rest of you :)

On 9/12/2019 at 3:36 PM, mark 45 said:

which raises the question,how do you prove the existence of any deity?and really,what would change?

Further query, what if any deity that could be proven to exist, doesn't care to be proven to exist? Or even, would rather not be proven to exist?