A Call For Pagans and Witches To Delete Facebook

2 hours ago, RevBogovac said:

Shouldn't be restricted to only Pagans and Witches...  :whist:

I have mixed feelings about Facebook.  It's destructive.  It's useful.

It's not just Pagans and Witches.  A whole bunch of Atheist and Agnostic groups have vanished from Facebook.

:mellow:

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl
1 hour ago, SalemWitchChild said:

This is just a rant about how she doesn't feel safe from crazy white men and facebook banned her for it. Not sure how it ties into Paganism. 

You raised an interesting question.  I went back looking for the relevant statements.  What I found is quoted, below, under the broken line.  I added quotation marks, otherwise, it is cut and pasted exactly as I found it.

To my understanding; the blogger's concern is handing over her community's source of communication -- to Facebook.  The rest is justification for those fears.

On reflection, I think the real question, is whether any group or community, should trust their communications to Facebook.

Welcome back.  It's been too long.

:bye:

=============================================================================================================================================

"So where does this leave us? Specifically those of us who rely on Facebook because our covens, orders, magical groups, and pagan or polytheist discussion forums that give us the ability to communicate with one another let alone any sense of community? For some of us, the online world is 80% of our means of communication with the outside world–not to mention our source of pagan, polytheist, and/or witch community.

Imagine running a magic class on FB but your account gets banned or suspended because your recent posting on climate change got a ton of angry reacts. What happens to your group?"

3 hours ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

You raised an interesting question.  I went back looking for the relevant statements.  What I found is quoted, below, under the broken line.  I added quotation marks, otherwise, it is cut and pasted exactly as I found it.

To my understanding; the blogger's concern is handing over her community's source of communication -- to Facebook.  The rest is justification for those fears.

On reflection, I think the real question, is whether any group or community, should trust their communications to Facebook.

Welcome back.  It's been too long.

:bye:

=============================================================================================================================================

"So where does this leave us? Specifically those of us who rely on Facebook because our covens, orders, magical groups, and pagan or polytheist discussion forums that give us the ability to communicate with one another let alone any sense of community? For some of us, the online world is 80% of our means of communication with the outside world–not to mention our source of pagan, polytheist, and/or witch community.

Imagine running a magic class on FB but your account gets banned or suspended because your recent posting on climate change got a ton of angry reacts. What happens to your group?"

Hi Jon. Yes, but this could apply to anything, not specifically Pagans or Wiccans. A persons Diabetes support group could lose their education material, for instance. I think the exodus away from private forums to Facebook groups was a mistake. With forums, the administrators could control content more. 

5 minutes ago, SalemWitchChild said:

Hi Jon. Yes, but this could apply to anything, not specifically Pagans or Wiccans. A persons Diabetes support group could lose their education material, for instance. I think the exodus away from private forums to Facebook groups was a mistake. With forums, the administrators could control content more. 

What I really miss is the old Yahoo Groups.  Long gone.  Yahoo fixed them.  MSN also had good groups for a while.  They were also fixed.  I never got around to investigating the Google groups.

Facebook is every bad thing that people say about it.  For now, I still have my account.

China has major social media.  I'm not sure I want the Chinese Government reading everything I post.  It's a silly quibble.  They probably have their computers scanning all the Facebook posts.

Youtube has their own issues.

1 hour ago, Jonathan H. B. Lobl said:

What I really miss is the old Yahoo Groups.  Long gone.  Yahoo fixed them.  MSN also had good groups for a while.  They were also fixed.  I never got around to investigating the Google groups.

Facebook is every bad thing that people say about it.  For now, I still have my account.

China has major social media.  I'm not sure I want the Chinese Government reading everything I post.  It's a silly quibble.  They probably have their computers scanning all the Facebook posts.

Youtube has their own issues.

I use to do spiritual counseling and psychic readings on Yahoo's chat. Loved that. Miss it a lot! I met so many interesting people. It's actually why I became ordained because I was doing so many spiritual counseling sessions, I thought it best I be ordained. 

Edited by SalemWitchChild
6 hours ago, SalemWitchChild said:

I use to do spiritual counseling and psychic readings on Yahoo's chat. Loved that. Miss it a lot! I met so many interesting people. It's actually why I became ordained because I was doing so many spiritual counseling sessions, I thought it best I be ordained. 

Did you do anything with Google Groups?